|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Olivier speak about violence to come?
2. In front of the tower, why does Olivier bully and berate a young Recruit?
3. What does the King say has eluded him?
4. What does the King hope that Ignatius will be able to do?
5. What are the Ten Prohibitions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anton respond to seeing the charred straw?
2. What does the Doctor confirm when he appears?
3. What does the King say Sigismund must do?
4. What does the Noble Officer say about the war?
5. What does the King hope about Ignatius?
6. How does the scene open?
7. How does the play end?
8. What are Olivier and his rebels doing to the peasants?
9. How is Sigismund serving the rebels?
10. Why does Olivier grab a weapon? What does Andrew do with the weapon? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The confrontation between Sigismund and the King in the second part of the third act is the play's first climax.
Part 1) Describe the confrontation. Why does the confrontation take place? How is this confrontation foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this confrontation symbolize? How do you know this?
Part 3) What can a reader or audience member learn from this confrontation? What is the purpose of this confrontation?
Essay Topic 2
The dramatic and thematic point of Act 2, Scene 1 is to highlight the difference between earthly influence and spiritual power.
Part 1) Who in this play represents earthly influence? Who represents spiritual power? How is the difference between these highlighted?
Part 2) How is this the theme? What has led up to this theme?
Part 3) How does this theme reinforce the thematic point regarding the value of the spirit, as well as the author's view of earthly influence versus spiritual power?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Sigismund and the Children's King is important.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. Why is their relationship like this?
Part 2) Why is their relationship important?
Part 3) What does their relationship symbolize? What is the audience supposed to get from this relationship? Why?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)