|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Ten Prohibitions?
2. How does Sigismund imitate Christ's posture?
3. How does Andrew explain the source of the noise?
4. How does Ignatius respond when the Young Monk reads a quote about an innocent man being condemned?
5. What does Julian tell Sigismund he has come to bring him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Simon bring?
2. What does Sigismund say when he enters the scene?
3. What suddenly happens to Sigismund?
4. How does Olivier speak to those around him at the beginning of the scene?
5. What does the Peasant Woman try to get Sigismund to do? How does he respond?
6. What does the King say Sigismund must do?
7. What did the prophecy contain?
8. What takes place at the beginning of this scene?
9. What does the King say to the Confessor?
10. What does Olivier think he hears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The essential purpose of the fourth act is to reiterate the contrast between earthly and spiritual power.
Part 1) Describe the fourth act. How does it reiterate the theme?
Part 2) What is the purpose for reiterating the theme?
Part 3) Contrast has been significant throughout the play. Why? What is the purpose for such contrast?
Essay Topic 2
The play has an allegorical point of view.
Part 1) What is an allegory? Give an example of another story that is allegorical.
Part 2) What makes this play allegorical? Give two examples from the play to prove it is allegorical.
Part 3) Why might the author have made this play allegorical? What are your thoughts on the play having an allegorical point of view? Would this play be as engaging or effective if it were not allegorical? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Act 5, Part 2 is a climactic scene.
Part 1) Describe this scene. How is it climactic?
Part 2) How has the rest of the play led up to this climax?
Part 3) Is the outcome of this climax what you had expected? Why or why not?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)