|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anton do to Sigismund?
2. How has Simon come?
3. Who is Anton?
4. What does Ignatius say about how the terror and remorse the King is experiencing?
5. The King reminds him that everything he did to his son, Sigismund, he did on who's advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened while Sigismund has been away?
2. What is the purpose of the sponge?
3. What does the King hope about Ignatius?
4. How does Julian refer to Sigismund and the King?
5. What is heard in the distance?
6. What does Sigismund say when he enters the scene?
7. Why does Olivier grab a weapon? What does Andrew do with the weapon? Why?
8. What does the King say Sigismund must do?
9. How does the Confessor respond to the King?
10. What does Olivier say about violence to come?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The King is an intriguing character.
Part 1) Describe the King. Why is he intriguing?
Part 2) Why does he act the way he does? How does his medieval life reinforce his behavior?
Part 3) How does his behavior reflect society in 1930s Germany, when this play was written?
Essay Topic 2
The dramatic and thematic point of Act 2, Scene 1 is to highlight the difference between earthly influence and spiritual power.
Part 1) Who in this play represents earthly influence? Who represents spiritual power? How is the difference between these highlighted?
Part 2) How is this the theme? What has led up to this theme?
Part 3) How does this theme reinforce the thematic point regarding the value of the spirit, as well as the author's view of earthly influence versus spiritual power?
Essay Topic 3
Negative comments are made about Jews.
Part 1) What are the comments that are made? Why are they made?
Part 2) How would audiences in 1930s Germany react to these comments? Would their reactions different from how audiences would react today? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is the author's opinion of Jews, based on this play? Explain.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)