|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Julian appears, carrying a vial that contains what?
2. How does Andrew explain the source of the noise?
3. What does Sigismund do when the Peasant Woman tries to get him to pray with her?
4. The Doctor accuses Julian of committing a crime against who?
5. As Anton goes, who comes back in.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Olivier speak to those around him at the beginning of the scene?
2. How does the scene open?
3. How does Julian feel about joining the King's court?
4. How does this scene begin?
5. What does Sigismund say when he enters the scene?
6. How does Sigismund react when Juilan encourages him to take the power he is being offered?
7. How does this scene begin?
8. What is Adam's job?
9. What does Sigismund say when he sees the Doctor's shocked expression?
10. How does the scene begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Act 5, Part 1 is quite different from much of the rest of the play.
Part 1) Describe Act 5, Part 1. How is it different?
Part 2) How must you analyze this part differently than you have the rest of the play? Why?
Part 3) Why has the author chosen to make this section different from the rest of the play?
Essay Topic 2
The King is an intriguing character.
Part 1) Describe the King. Why is he intriguing?
Part 2) Why does he act the way he does? How does his medieval life reinforce his behavior?
Part 3) How does his behavior reflect society in 1930s Germany, when this play was written?
Essay Topic 3
The essential purpose of the fourth act is to reiterate the contrast between earthly and spiritual power.
Part 1) Describe the fourth act. How does it reiterate the theme?
Part 2) What is the purpose for reiterating the theme?
Part 3) Contrast has been significant throughout the play. Why? What is the purpose for such contrast?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)