Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the King tell the other courtiers about Julian's behavior?
2. Whose grave does the King want to see?
3. Ignatius says everything the King is and has ever been is nothing but what?
4. How does Ignatius respond when the King falls to his knees, asking Ignatius' guidance in how to get his son back?
5. Who is the visitor Ignatius is happy to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this scene begin?
2. How does Anton react to this news? What other news does Simon give Anton?
3. What does the King instruct the Monk to do?
4. How does the scene open?
5. What is expected of the Doctor?
6. How does the scene begin?
7. What does Sigismund say when he sees the Doctor's shocked expression?
8. What does the conversation with the Peasant Woman reveal?
9. What does the King say Sigismund must do?
10. How does Sigismund imitate Christ?
Essay Topic 1
There is a contrast between Olivier and Sigismund.
Part 1) Describe each character. Why might they be the way they are?
Part 2) How do they differ? Why do they differ?
Part 3) How do these differences guide the action that takes place throughout the play? What role does Olivier play in Sigismund's death?
Essay Topic 2
The dramatic and thematic point of Act 2, Scene 1 is to highlight the difference between earthly influence and spiritual power.
Part 1) Who in this play represents earthly influence? Who represents spiritual power? How is the difference between these highlighted?
Part 2) How is this the theme? What has led up to this theme?
Part 3) How does this theme reinforce the thematic point regarding the value of the spirit, as well as the author's view of earthly influence versus spiritual power?
Essay Topic 3
The tower has significant symbolic value.
Part 1) Describe the tower. Why is this also the title of the book?
Part 2) What does the tower symbolize? Why is it significant?
Part 3) What should the audience take with them after seeing this play? Why?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)