|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Voivode late?
2. After Julian sends Simon away, what does he discuss with Anton?
3. What is the setting of this scene?
4. What does the letter to Julian contain?
5. What does Julian tell the Doctor he is expected to do, regarding the Prisoner's health?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scene open?
2. What does the Doctor confirm when he appears?
3. What is Adam's job?
4. What does the conversation with the Peasant Woman reveal?
5. What does Sigismund say when he enters the scene?
6. What has happened while Sigismund has been away?
7. What does Sigismund say about the old regime?
8. Of what does Julian accuse the Doctor? What is the Doctor's response?
9. How does this scene begin?
10. Why does the Prisoner torment others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The confrontation between Sigismund and the King in the second part of the third act is the play's first climax.
Part 1) Describe the confrontation. Why does the confrontation take place? How is this confrontation foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this confrontation symbolize? How do you know this?
Part 3) What can a reader or audience member learn from this confrontation? What is the purpose of this confrontation?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Sigismund and the Children's King is important.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. Why is their relationship like this?
Part 2) Why is their relationship important?
Part 3) What does their relationship symbolize? What is the audience supposed to get from this relationship? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The tower has significant symbolic value.
Part 1) Describe the tower. Why is this also the title of the book?
Part 2) What does the tower symbolize? Why is it significant?
Part 3) What should the audience take with them after seeing this play? Why?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)