|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the distance, what are heard?
2. What does the Beggar say to the Monk, when the Monk asks what he wants?
3. Who does Anton say the Prisoner sometimes flies into a rage and attacks?
4. What does the King hope that Ignatius will be able to do?
5. How does Ignatius respond when the Young Monk reads a quote about an innocent man being condemned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this act begin?
2. What takes place at the beginning of this scene?
3. How does Olivier speak to those around him at the beginning of the scene?
4. How does Julian refer to Sigismund and the King?
5. What does the King instruct the Monk to do?
6. What news does Simon bring?
7. Why does the King believe he must be listened to?
8. What does the Doctor confirm when he appears?
9. What has happened while Sigismund has been away?
10. What is expected of the Doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play's secondary point is that the kind of spiritual life Sigismund leads is ideal.
Part 1) Describe Sigismund's spiritual life. Why might it be ideal?
Part 2) What does the author expect the audience to do with this knowledge? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How does Sigismund reveal to the audience what the author might expect from a leader in real life? Use the text for support.
Essay Topic 2
The essential purpose of the fourth act is to reiterate the contrast between earthly and spiritual power.
Part 1) Describe the fourth act. How does it reiterate the theme?
Part 2) What is the purpose for reiterating the theme?
Part 3) Contrast has been significant throughout the play. Why? What is the purpose for such contrast?
Essay Topic 3
There is a contrast between Olivier and Sigismund.
Part 1) Describe each character. Why might they be the way they are?
Part 2) How do they differ? Why do they differ?
Part 3) How do these differences guide the action that takes place throughout the play? What role does Olivier play in Sigismund's death?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)