|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the King withdraw with Julian?
(a) He does not want to see his son.
(b) Sigismund needs time alone to adjust to his surroundings.
(c) He does not want to scare Sigismund.
(d) To observe the conversation between Adam and Sigismund.
2. What does the King express to the Doctor?
(a) His uncertainties.
(b) His dislike.
(c) His fear.
(d) His gratitude.
3. How does the Gypsy Girl react when Sigismund tells her of a rumor that Olivier has been killed in battle?
(a) She does not react.
(b) She just laughs.
(c) She screams.
(d) She cries.
4. Who is the Confessor?
(a) The courtier who has been with Sigismund.
(b) One who confesses his sins to the King.
(c) A spy for the King.
(d) The hearer of the King's prayers and confessions.
5. Why does Sigismund dismiss the others?
(a) So he can talk with the Gypsy Girl alone.
(b) He needs to pray.
(c) He wants to be alone.
(d) So he can plan his next military coup.
6. What has the King ordered Julian to be for the rest of his life?
(a) A priest.
(b) A courtier.
(c) Sigismund's keeper.
(d) A beggar.
7. What does the King say to the Confessor about Sigismund?
(a) He must be forgiven.
(b) He is an unruly child.
(c) He is afraid of Sigismund.
(d) He must be executed.
8. What are the orders given by Olivier?
(a) The peasants are to be imprisioned and executed.
(b) Peasants are all to rise up and rebel, and merchants are to be chained to the farmer's plows.
(c) The rebels are to destroy the castle.
(d) The nobles are to be set free.
9. After the King collapses, how does Julian react?
(a) He rushes in and kneels to Sigismund as if he were king.
(b) He rushes in and kneels to the King.
(c) He rushes in a grabs Sigismund.
(d) He collapses.
10. What does Anton say he has just heard?
(a) A shot.
(b) An explosion.
(c) A shout.
(d) A scream.
11. With what does the Gypsy Girl say she is pregnant?
(a) A tumor.
(b) Olivier's child.
12. What does Sigismund sense?
(a) Hatred among the people.
(c) Something important is about to happen to him.
(d) He is about to die.
13. What calms Sigismund?
(b) The singing.
(c) Adam's soothing voice.
(d) The organ music.
14. What does Olivier call Julian?
(a) The Devil.
(b) A Judas.
15. What is the King prepared to do to ensure that power and order in the kingdom continue?
(a) Add to the list of Ten Prohibitions.
(b) Whatever is necessary.
(c) Create new laws.
(d) Anything but hurt Sigismund.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sigismund's new prison cell?
2. What does the King point out about the room?
3. Of what does Sigismund say Olivier smells?
4. What is the nobleman Adam's job?
5. After the courtier who has given Julian the news goes, Anton tries to do what for Julian?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)