|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Anton try to force Sigismund's feet into his boots?
(a) The ground is cold.
(b) He does not want the Messenger to steal the boots.
(c) He is trying to put the royal garments on Sigismund.
(d) He believes they have to escape.
2. How does Adam communicate with Sigismund?
(a) In another language.
(b) By whispers.
(c) By yelling loudly.
(d) Only through gestures.
3. What does the Spirit Figure of Julian do so Siglismund can see the war from above?
(a) He turns into a plane.
(b) He gives Sigismund wings.
(c) He lifts him high in the air.
(d) He removes his head, giving it to Sigismund.
4. What are Tartars?
(c) Turkish soldiers.
5. What is Anton's warning?
(a) Sigismund is stronger than the King.
(b) The meeting between Sigismund and the King will not go well.
(c) Sigismund will kill the King.
(d) Sigismund is not ready to meet with the King.
6. What are the orders given by Olivier?
(a) The rebels are to destroy the castle.
(b) The peasants are to be imprisioned and executed.
(c) The nobles are to be set free.
(d) Peasants are all to rise up and rebel, and merchants are to be chained to the farmer's plows.
7. What does Sigismund tell the Doctor and Anton, when they run in?
(a) He is dying.
(b) The war is over.
(c) Olivier is dead, explaining he has seen visions that have told him so.
(d) The Gypsy Girl was a witch.
8. What does the King ask the Confessor about Sigismund?
(a) Has Sigismund sinned.
(b) When will Sigismund be prepared to take over the throne.
(c) Will he listen to Sigismund's confessions.
(d) What would define a bad enough act by Sigismund that he could be executed.
9. How does Simon think he will get information out of the Gypsy Girl?
(a) If she is tortured.
(b) If she is starved.
(c) If she is told Olivier is dead.
(d) If she was left alone with Sigismund.
10. What does Adam say when he appears?
(a) The tower has been destroyed.
(b) Departure for the tower is going to be delayed.
(c) He will help take care of Sigismund.
(d) It is time to leave for the tower.
11. What does Julian insist must be done with the Messenger?
(a) He must be executed.
(b) He must be locked in the tower.
(c) He must be searched for a written message.
(d) He must be escorted out.
12. What does the King tell Sigismund is his first responsibility as prince?
(a) To convince Brother Ignatius to return to the King's court.
(b) To add to the list of Ten Prohibitions.
(c) To get rid of Julian, whom the King describes as a scheming serpent.
(d) To rid the kingdom of those who despise the King.
13. What does the Doctor have prepared if Sigismund should become unstable?
(a) A strait jacket.
(b) A syringe filled with a sedative.
(c) A sponge that has been soaked in a powerful narcotic.
(d) A padded cell.
14. What is the King prepared to do to ensure that power and order in the kingdom continue?
(a) Whatever is necessary.
(b) Anything but hurt Sigismund.
(c) Create new laws.
(d) Add to the list of Ten Prohibitions.
15. Why does the King say that he must be obeyed?
(a) Because he has the most money.
(b) Because as King he has the ultimate authority and was given that authority by God.
(c) Because he does not like to be ignored.
(d) Because he will kill anyone who does not listen to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is this act set?
2. What do Olivier and the rebels do to each village they pass through?
3. What has been untouched since the Queen's death?
4. What does the King urge Julian to be?
5. With what does the Gypsy Girl say she is pregnant?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)