|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Olivier demand that Sigismund accuse Julian?
(a) So he can be condemned and tortured.
(b) So someone can be to blame.
(c) So Sigismund will show the peasants he has power.
(d) So Julian will try to escape.
2. What calms Sigismund?
(a) The organ music.
(c) The singing.
(d) Adam's soothing voice.
3. What does the King urge Julian to be?
(a) A spy for him.
(b) Sigismund's friend.
(c) A better counselor to Sigismund than Ignatius was to him.
(d) More kind than Ignatius had been.
4. With what does the Gypsy Girl say she is pregnant?
(b) Olivier's child.
(d) A tumor.
5. What do the two Gypsy Girls say about Olivier's march to power?
(a) It will end.
(b) It is weakening.
(c) It has ended.
(d) It is unstoppable.
6. When Sigismund is gone, the Doctor makes what promise?
(a) Sigismund will be taken care of and hints that his struggle for freedom is not finished.
(b) He will not return to this kingdom as long as the King is alive.
(c) He will never get involved with Sigismund again.
(d) Sigismund will never rule.
7. What does the Doctor have prepared if Sigismund should become unstable?
(a) A strait jacket.
(b) A sponge that has been soaked in a powerful narcotic.
(c) A padded cell.
(d) A syringe filled with a sedative.
8. What does Sigismund sense?
(a) Something important is about to happen to him.
(c) Hatred among the people.
(d) He is about to die.
9. What are the orders given by Olivier?
(a) The rebels are to destroy the castle.
(b) The peasants are to be imprisioned and executed.
(c) The nobles are to be set free.
(d) Peasants are all to rise up and rebel, and merchants are to be chained to the farmer's plows.
10. What does Sigismund call the King?
(c) My Lord.
11. How does Adam communicate with Sigismund?
(a) Only through gestures.
(b) By yelling loudly.
(c) By whispers.
(d) In another language.
12. A rebel named Jeronim tells other rebels that Sigismund's insane-sounding words are proof of what?
(a) He should not be their leader.
(b) He is not the King's son.
(c) How the King and nobility drove him mad and are therefore evil and must be punished.
(d) He is insane.
13. What is Sigismund's new prison cell?
(a) A room high up in the tower.
(b) His mother's bedchamber.
(c) A subterranean chamber beneath the tower.
(d) An old barn.
14. What does the King give Julian as a symbol of his authority?
(a) A pin.
(b) A medal.
(c) A crown.
(d) A ring.
15. What does Sigismund say about Marcus Aurelius?
(a) He is very different from Sigismund.
(b) He is a great man that Sigismund wishes were there to help him.
(c) He had plans for his world in much the same way as Sigismund has plans for his.
(d) He reminds him of his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Tartars?
2. How does the King take the Confessor to mean by his statement regarding executions?
3. What has been untouched since the Queen's death?
4. What does Sigismund tell the Doctor and Anton, when they run in?
5. What does the Gypsy Girl magically cause to emerge from the earth?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)