|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the sound of a muffled banging, what does Olivier do?
(a) He hides.
(b) He screams.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He orders whoever is making it to be silent.
2. In the distance, what are heard?
(a) People screaming.
(b) Voices chanting for the King.
(c) Several arguments.
(d) Voices singing in Latin.
3. How has Simon come?
(a) Saying he has ridden all night to seek out advice from the Doctor.
(b) Saying he needs to speak with Anton alone.
(c) Saying he was given the letter to bring to Anton in the usual way and that he rode all night in order to deliver the message promptly.
(d) Saying he has come to see the Prisoner.
4. How does Olivier speak about violence to come?
(a) With sadness.
(b) With pleasure.
(c) With anger.
(d) With fear.
5. What are the Ten Prohibitions?
(a) The ten words that the guards are prohibited from using.
(b) Acts and behavior the guards are forbidden to do around the Prisoner.
(c) Types of alcohol the guards are not allowed to drink.
(d) Acts and behavior the people of this kingdom are forbidden to do.
6. Of what was the Prisoner convicted?
(a) Murdering the King's wife as a child.
(b) Plotting to assassinate the King when he was a child.
(c) Wanting to run away from the King as a child.
(d) Stealing from the King as a child.
7. Who does Olivier think can sense "the bloodshed to come?"
(a) The guards.
(b) The pigeons.
(c) The Jewish smugglers.
(d) The princes.
8. How does Julian react when Anton speaks about how glad he will be when the nobleman has gone?
(a) He is saddened by this news that Anton does not want to see the nobleman.
(b) He becomes angry but also agrees with Anton.
(c) He becomes angry and then tells him to arrange for watchmen to be alert for the nobleman's approach.
(d) He becomes surprised that Anton would not be excited about the nobleman's arrival.
9. For whom does the Doctor ask?
(a) His son.
(b) The King.
(c) His patient.
(d) The guards.
10. How does Anton react when Sigismund asks whether he actually is a human being?
(a) He tells him he is a mutant.
(b) He ignores the question.
(c) He laughs at him.
(d) He tells him he is human.
11. After the Recruit goes off, what does conversation between the guards reveal about Olivier?
(a) He is the King.
(b) He is a knight.
(c) He is the new Guard Commander.
(d) He is also a new Recruit.
12. Who is the visitor Ignatius is happy to see?
(a) The Beggar.
(d) The King.
13. How does Ignatius respond when the Young Monk reads a quote about an innocent man being condemned?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He loses his temper.
(c) He glares at the King.
(d) He turns to leave.
14. Upon who does the Second urge the King to declare war?
(a) The Muslim.
(b) The peasants.
(c) The French.
(d) The Jews.
15. What does Julian order be done to Sigismund?
(a) He be dressed in royal clothes and that all other preparations for departure be completed.
(b) He be dressed in his prisoner clothing and put back in his cell.
(c) He be secretly brought into the castle.
(d) He be put to bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anton urge the Doctor to give the Prisoner?
2. What does Sigismund say about man, as Julian calls for the guards?
3. Sigismund says he feels so powerful that he can do what?
4. About what are the citizens talking?
5. What is heard at the gate?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)