|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cat Grotowski refers to when discussing associations in "Skara Speech"?
2. Grotowski says in "American Encounter" that the third thing one could consider "ethical" is the problem of _____.
3. In "Dr. Faustus", the spectators are _____.
4. Who is Grotowski's collaborator and observer in "Actor's Training (1966)"?
5. Grotowski's motto with which he starts his lessons is, "The essence of the theatre is the actor, his actions, and _____."
Short Essay Questions
1. What differences are there between the earlier exercises and "Actor's Training (1966)"?
2. How does Grotowski treat his students in class? Why?
3. What exercises take place second in "Actor's Training (1966)"?
4. How does Grotowski's technique differ from the theorists he mentions in "The Actor's Technique"?
5. How does Grotowski treat his students in the exercise notes?
6. What exercises compose the second section from "Actor's Training (1959 - 1962)"?
7. When asked of the evolution of his technique in "American Encounter", how does Grotowski explain?
8. What are resonators? Where are they in the body?
9. Describe briefly the "plastic" exercises from "Actor's Training (1959 - 1962)".
10. How does Grotowski describe a "score" in "The Actor's Technique"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of the term "theatre." What does this term mean to Grotowski? What does it mean to the other figures cited in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what Grotowski means when he refers to "acting with the whole body." How is this achieved? How does this apply to the voice?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Grotowski's assessment of Antonin Artaud. What does Grotowski say regarding the ability to put Artaud's theories into action?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)