|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grotowski says in "Skara Speech" that on the stage, "we often detect a lack of harmony because the actors don't _____ their partners."
2. Before performances, Grotowski's actors have a period of silence for _____.
3. How long was the course that Grotowski taught in America for "American Encounter"?
4. The fact that "in order to get the result you must not look for it" is a _____.
5. Grotowski prefers to use "_____" in replacement of the word "role."
Short Essay Questions
1. What exercises take place second in "Actor's Training (1966)"?
2. How does Grotowski treat his students in class? Why?
3. How does Grotowski advise students to use their resonators in "Skara Speech"?
4. What is first in the exercises of "Actor's Training (1966)"?
5. What question is asked of Grotowski regarding silence in "American Encounter"? What is his response?
6. What is "ethics" in relation to acting as described by Grotowski in "American Encounter"?
7. What does Grotowski say of the current methods of acting in "The Actor's Technique"?
8. When asked of the evolution of his technique in "American Encounter", how does Grotowski explain?
9. How does Grotowski's technique differ from the theorists he mentions in "The Actor's Technique"?
10. What are the conceptual exercises like in "Actor's Training (1966)"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Grotowski's assessment of Antonin Artaud. What does Grotowski say regarding the ability to put Artaud's theories into action?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how and why Grotowski adapted "Akropolis" as he did. What effect did his adaptation produce?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the production elements of "Dr. Faustus". How were the actor's costumed? What was the setting? Where was the audience? What effect did this create?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)