|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the exercise intended to experiment and open up the actor's vocal pitch in "Actor's Training (1966)"?
2. Grotowski states in "The Actor's Technique" that it is a fact that children, animals, and people who are close to nature breathe _____.
3. Grotowski says in "The Actor's Technique" that one cannot be completely _____ as taught in most theatre schools.
4. What does Grotowski begin with in "Actor's Training (1966)"?
5. It is the task of _____ to amplify the carrying power of sound emitted in the actor.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grotowski describe using memory in emotional reactions in "Skara Speech"?
2. How does Grotowski advise students to use their resonators in "Skara Speech"?
3. What does Grotowski say of memory in his "Skara Speech"?
4. Describe briefly the "plastic" exercises from "Actor's Training (1959 - 1962)".
5. How does Grotowski feel about externalization, or "classical acting" techniques?
6. How does Grotowski treat his students in class? Why?
7. What does Grotowski say of "clichés" in "Skara Speech"?
8. How does Grotowski treat his students in the exercise notes?
9. What is first in the exercises of "Actor's Training (1966)"?
10. What are resonators? Where are they in the body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how and why Grotowski adapted "Akropolis" as he did. What effect did his adaptation produce?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot of the play "Dr. Faustus". Who wrote this play? How does the plot change according to Grotowski's adaptation?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the actor's breath and his resonators are so important in Grotowski's techniques. What types of breathing are there? Where are resonators located in the body?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)