|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The one absolute rule Grotowski cites in "Actor's Training (1966)" is that what must come first, then vocal expression?
(d) Bodily activity.
2. In "The Actor's Technique," Grotowski states that the sort of questions important for him to ask is what holds the actor back from respiration, movement, and _____ most importantly.
(a) Spectator contact.
(b) Human contact.
(c) Intellectual connection.
(d) Emotional fluidity.
3. What type of respiration is the most effective for the actor?
(a) Lower respiration.
(b) Deep respiration.
(c) Upper respiration.
(d) Total respiration.
4. What is the first exercise from the second set of "Actor's Training (1959 - 1962)" called?
(a) The goat.
(b) The monkey.
(c) The lion.
(d) The cat.
5. Section B of "Actor's Training (1959 - 1962)" are based upon the work of _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most of the physical distortion exercises from "Actor's Training (1966)" seem to be based on _____.
2. Grotowski states in "The Actor's Technique" that the greatest difference between his technique and other methods is that his is _____.
3. In "Actor's Training (1966)", it is noted that Grotowski mentions that contact between the audience and actor is _____ in the theatre.
4. How long was the course that Grotowski taught in America for "American Encounter"?
5. In "Dr. Faustus", the spectators are _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grotowski state regarding aesthetics in "The Actor's Technique"?
2. When asked of the evolution of his technique in "American Encounter", how does Grotowski explain?
3. How does Grotowski describe actor-audience encounter in "American Encounter"?
4. How does Grotowski's technique differ from the theorists he mentions in "The Actor's Technique"?
5. What different types of breath are there? What is the importance of breath in the actor?
6. What question is asked of Grotowski regarding silence in "American Encounter"? What is his response?
7. What does Grotowski say of memory in his "Skara Speech"?
8. Describe the beginning exercises in "Actor's Training (1959 - 1962)."
9. How does Grotowski feel about externalization, or "classical acting" techniques?
10. What do the "exercises in composition" from "Actor's Training (1959 - 1962)" entail?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)