|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who built his methods on the spontaneity of daily life, according to Grotowski in "The Actor's Technique"?
2. Grotowski says in "Skara Speech" that on the stage, "we often detect a lack of harmony because the actors don't _____ their partners."
(b) Listen to.
3. Who does Grotowski say devised many good exercises, some with masks in "The Actor's Technique"?
4. Grotowski's motto with which he starts his lessons is, "The essence of the theatre is the actor, his actions, and _____."
(a) His thoughts.
(b) What he can achieve.
(c) His emotions.
(d) His responses.
5. The most developed of acting methods belongs to whom, according to Grotowski in "The Actor's Technique"?
6. Who is Grotowski's collaborator and observer in "Actor's Training (1966)"?
(a) Slowask Minorski.
(b) Ryszard Cieslak.
(c) Denis Bablet.
(d) Amanda Pasquier.
7. Grotowski in "The Actor's Technique" says that in understanding how he differs from Stanislavski, Brecht, and Artaud that it is important to distinguish between aesthetics and _____.
8. Grotowski says in "The Actor's Technique" that psychologists readily ask the question, "What is your _____?"
9. The cycle of exercises in "Stimulation of the Voice" from "Actor's Training (1966)," begins with _____.
(a) The head voice.
(b) The back voice.
(c) The chest voice.
(d) The stomach voice.
10. Grotowski points out in all of his lessons in "Actor's Training (1966)" that _____ must be excluded in the exercises.
11. What is the first exercise in "Warming Up" from "Actor's Training (1959 - 1962)"?
(a) Running on tiptoe.
(b) Walk with knees bent, hands on hips.
(c) Walk with knees bent, gripping the ankles.
(d) Rhythmical walking while arms and hands rotate.
12. Grotowski claims in "Skara Speech" that our whole body is a system of _____.
13. Part V of "Actor's Training (1959 - 1962)" are "Leaps and _____."
14. "American Encounter" was an interview during the time Grotowski was leading a workshop at _____.
(a) Columbia University.
(b) Mason Gross School of the Arts.
(c) New York University.
(d) Yale School of Drama.
15. Grotowski states of Artaud in "The Actor's Technique" that to Artaud "there is an authentic parallelism between the effort of man who works with his body and _____."
(a) Thought processes.
(c) Psychic processes.
(d) His emotions.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Dr. Faustus", the spectators are _____.
2. The actor should take special care to open the _____ when speaking and breathing.
3. Grotowski says in "Skara Speech" that the "whole secret" is "Stimulations, impulses, and _____."
4. What part of the body does Grotowski call the "center of expression" in "Actor's Training (1966)"?
5. What type of respiration is the most effective for the actor?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)