|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Peter almost lose Michel?
2. The language barrier provides a comedic turn when Benson is presented with what?
3. Why does Peter agree with Frank regarding his feelings of worry?
4. Over the next several weeks, Mayle's wife stalks the dog, who she learns spends time ______________ where it can feed off scraps.
5. Why does Peter fall asleep under a tree in the backyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter get involved in this world of truffles?
2. Why might Peter's wife still plan a picnic, although he does not like them?
3. How does the book begin? What does this lead him to say about the French?
4. How does Benson react to the French doctor? Why might he react this way?
5. What does Peter say about this tasting experience? Why does he give these details?
6. How is the toad story explained? Is it as odd and sensational as Peter had hoped? Why or why not?
7. How does Peter end up in the small town of Chateauneuf-du-Pape? How might Peter feel about this trip?
8. How does Peter feel about his toad findings? Why does he feel this way?
9. How do Mayle's feelings about fan mail change over time? Why?
10. What takes place prior to Boy and the Gregoires' dog breeding? Why does the breeding not go as planned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book is "Toujours Provence."
Part 1) How is this an appropriate title? What does it reveal about the writer? What clues does it give about the writer? What clues does it give the reader as to the subject and purpose of the book?
Part 2) What would another appropriate title be? Why? How important is the title of a book? What does the title reveal about the author and the book? How does it influence the reader?
Part 3) What were your initial thoughts about the title of this book? How did it immediately affect your opinion of the book? How did your opinion of the book evolve as you read the book? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Mayle dislikes picnics.
Part 1) Why is this important to the story? Why does this fact not sway Mayle's wife when she plans a picnic? What does this reveal about her and her relationship with her husband?
Part 2) How is Peter's opinion regarding picnics changed? What other strong opinions does Peter have early on in the book that change over the course of his time in Provence? What leads to these changes? For the most part, are these good changes? Why or why not?
Part 3) How have your own opinions changed over time? What led to these changes? Do you believe your opinions will continue to change? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Provence suffers from a terrible drought.
Part 1) Describe this drought. How is the region affected by this drought? How is this drought tied to other stories within this book?
Part 2) In what other ways is Provence connected with nature? How important is nature, the environment, and weather to life in Provence? Explain.
Part 3) How does this drought affect the Mayles? How else is nature an important part of the Mayle's lives, now that they live in Provence? Is nature, the environment, and weather significantly important in your own life? If so, how and why? If not, why not?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)