|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fans seek autographs from Mayle's neighbor, ____________, who is mentioned in the book as well as Monsieur Menicucci, a colorful, local plumber.
2. Where does the man allow the dog to sleep?
3. Mayle is invited by a bookstore owner to hold a book signing in ______________ during the film festival.
4. At lunch time, Michel tells Peter and six other visitors to follow him where?
5. This man is is also composing an original anthem for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Peter's opinion of picnics? Why?
2. Describe Peter's birthday card. Why might he have been given this?
3. What does Mayle say about the life of a writer?
4. How does the language barrier lead to humor in this chapter?
5. What happens to Faustin? How does he feel about this?
6. How does the book begin? What does this lead him to say about the French?
7. What does Peter ask about tasting the wine? Why does he ask this? How does Michel respond? Why might Michel respond this way?
8. How do Mayle's feelings about fan mail change over time? Why?
9. How does Peter feel about his toad findings? Why does he feel this way?
10. What happens to Peter because of the lunch he eats? How is this a good ending to his trip to the wine region?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is an influx of visitors to Provence.
Part 1) Describe this influx of visitors. What led to this increase? How has this increase in visitors and other newcomers to Provence affected the region? How does Peter feel about these effects? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How can this influx in visitors be both positive and negative? What might Provence be like today? Do you believe there is still a draw to South France? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe a region in the U.S. that has seen an influx in visitors. Why has travel to this region increased? How might this have affected the region? How has your own community seen growth or decline over time? What has caused this growth or decline? How has this affected your community?
Essay Topic 2
Provence suffers from a terrible drought.
Part 1) Describe this drought. How is the region affected by this drought? How is this drought tied to other stories within this book?
Part 2) In what other ways is Provence connected with nature? How important is nature, the environment, and weather to life in Provence? Explain.
Part 3) How does this drought affect the Mayles? How else is nature an important part of the Mayle's lives, now that they live in Provence? Is nature, the environment, and weather significantly important in your own life? If so, how and why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Peter tells a tale of singing toads.
Part 1) Describe the story of the singing toads. Why does Peter include this story in this book? How does this story compare to others in the book? How does this story support the purpose of this book?
Part 2) What does this story reveal or reinforce about Peter? What does it also reveal or reinforce about Provencal culture? What other odd stories are told in this book? Are you able to relate to these stories? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What odd tales could you tell of your own life? How have these strange events affected you and your life?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)