|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mayle takes a jab at Americans who create what?
2. Peter contacts _____________, identified only as Monsieur X, for help for his friend Frank.
3. British writer Peter Mayle is living in the Provence region of ____________.
4. What does Mayle regret about his book signing?
5. This man is is also composing an original anthem for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peter's birthday card. Why might he have been given this?
2. How does Mayle's wife first come across Boy? How does this first encounter lead her to act? How do you feel about her behavior?
3. What happens to Faustin? How does he feel about this?
4. What happens to Peter because of the lunch he eats? How is this a good ending to his trip to the wine region?
5. How is Peter Mayle confused by the American visitor? How does this lead to a jab at Americans?
6. How does Peter end up in the small town of Chateauneuf-du-Pape? How might Peter feel about this trip?
7. How does Peter feel about his toad findings? Why does he feel this way?
8. What takes place prior to Boy and the Gregoires' dog breeding? Why does the breeding not go as planned?
9. What does Monsieur X ask Peter to do next spring? What does this reveal about their relationship?
10. How is the toad story explained? Is it as odd and sensational as Peter had hoped? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is an influx of visitors to Provence.
Part 1) Describe this influx of visitors. What led to this increase? How has this increase in visitors and other newcomers to Provence affected the region? How does Peter feel about these effects? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How can this influx in visitors be both positive and negative? What might Provence be like today? Do you believe there is still a draw to South France? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe a region in the U.S. that has seen an influx in visitors. Why has travel to this region increased? How might this have affected the region? How has your own community seen growth or decline over time? What has caused this growth or decline? How has this affected your community?
Essay Topic 2
The author evolves throughout this book.
Part 1) How does he act at the beginning of the book? What are his thoughts and opinions about France at the beginning of the book? Are these opinions and beliefs accurate? Why or why not?
Part 2) How do his beliefs and opinions change over the course of the book? What leads to these changes? How are these changes reflected in his own and his wife's behaviors? Are these good changes? Why or why not?
Part 3) What opinions have you had that changed? What caused these changes? How have these changes affected your life?
Essay Topic 3
Peter and his wife learn a great deal about French culture while living in Provence.
Part 1) Describe French culture based on this book. Do you believe that Peter's description of French culture is an accurate one? Why or why not? Might French culture today be as Peter described it in this book? Why or why not?
Part 2) What are your thoughts about French culture, based on this book? Does Peter's description of French culture influence you in a positive way? Would you like to go to Provence? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does French culture compare to your own culture? How important is one's culture to one's personality and interests? How different might you be if you had grown up in Provence, rather than your own community?
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)