|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Massot want to rent?
(a) A bumping hammer.
(b) A sledge-hammer.
(c) A jack-hammer.
(d) A mallet.
2. Régis is a large man and is dressed casually in what?
(a) A pair of jeans and a tee shirt.
(b) A running suit.
(c) A robe.
(d) A pair of shorts and a sweat shirt.
3. The local _________________ are in great demand and becoming quite wealthy.
(b) Real estate agents.
(c) Business owners.
4. After removing the clutter, Mayle finds what buried in the now exposed soil?
(a) A gold coin dated 1857.
(b) A shoe.
(c) An arrowhead.
(d) A bracelet.
5. A high-speed train is planned for Provence. Why?
(a) To cut travel time from Northern France.
(b) To reduce the amount of street traffic.
(c) To cut the travel time from Paris.
(d) To cut travel time for commuters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oddly, there is a table displaying pump-action riot guns and _____________ for sale.
2. At the Ménerbes dog show, the dogs are dressed in fashions to resemble who?
3. Why was Robert fired from the police force?
4. The people of Provence are eagerly awaiting the arrival of Pavarotti, who is scheduled to perform at the open air _________________.
5. After the ___________ hour is over, the Mayles make their way to the stadium.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mrs. Mayle's weakness for dogs taken advantage of here? How does the author seem to feel about her weakness? How do you know this?
2. Why does the author say that the dogs and owners resemble each other? Do you agree?
3. What fashion icon promotes this region of France? Why?
4. Why do the Mayles skip the morning dog show trials? Do you find this part of the dog show unusual or odd? Why or why not?
5. How does the town of Orange feel about Pavarotti's arrival? Why do they feel this way?
6. Why does Mayle decide to not install a security system? Is this a good reason? Why or why not?
7. How does the chapter end? What does this reveal about those involved in dog shows?
8. Describe the venue in which Pavarotti performs. Why does Mayle include this information?
9. What is pastis? Why is there a chapter about it?
10. What is the epitome of the Luberon? How is this being destroyed by the increase in visitors and new residents?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)