|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Massot find near the pool?
(a) More jewelry.
(b) More pottery.
(c) More coins.
(d) A myriad of metal objects.
2. Mayle decides he doesn't want to live in ___________ the rest of his life and would rather take his chances.
(a) Fort Knox.
(b) Fort Harrison.
(c) Fort Benning.
(d) Fort Hamilton.
3. In _________, the Mayle residence is threatened by the outbreak of nearby fires that eventually destroy a good portion of the surrounding forests.
4. What does Massot do to assist Peter in his findings?
(a) He rents a metal detector.
(b) He buys a jack-hammer.
(c) He digs several holes.
(d) He calls in experts.
5. A high-speed train is planned for Provence. Why?
(a) To cut travel time for commuters.
(b) To cut the travel time from Paris.
(c) To cut travel time from Northern France.
(d) To reduce the amount of street traffic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Régis is known to be what?
2. Near ______________, dogs of various breeds and purpose are being sold by dealers.
3. Inside the market, Mayle observes other shoppers eating breakfast of croissants, coffee and __________.
4. _____________ years before, this tiny town was an unspoiled village boasting a Renaissance chateau, cobbled streets and modest services, including a butcher, baker and simple hotel.
5. Even though the water in the Mayle's pool is warm as soup, it attracts a herd of wild __________ one evening that back away when Boy scares them off.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mayle notice about Robert? What does this foreshadow?
2. How does the author describe Place Pie? What does this reinforce about him?
3. How does Male find gold coins? Why does this matter to him?
4. What is Mayle's fear regarding Massot? Is this a rational fear? Why or why not?
5. What does Mayle learn from a woman during the concert? Do you believe her? Why or why not?
6. How does the drought and fire risk affect Mayle? How does this chapter end? Why does it end this way?
7. What does Massot do regarding the hunt for gold? Why does he do this?
8. What is one of the possible consequences of drought in the region? How does this lead to more problems?
9. What is another consequence of the drought. How might this affect the revenue of the region?
10. How does the town of Orange feel about Pavarotti's arrival? Why do they feel this way?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)