|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After returning home from the pharmacy with several mundane purchases--toothpaste and suntan lotion--Peter finds a brochure in his bag which discusses the problem of ___________________, which apparently is quite a prevalent condition among the French.
(d) The Common Cold.
2. What is used to make the product more expensive?
(b) Heavy buckshot and mud.
(d) Strong scents.
3. This man is is also composing an original anthem for whom?
(a) The U.S.
(b) The Italians.
(d) The newly created European Common Market.
4. Finally reaching the picnic area in what appears to be ____________________, the party finds a table for ten set under a sprawling oak tree, replete with starched white linen, silverware and ice buckets.
(a) An abandoned back yard.
(b) An open field.
(c) A city park.
(d) A thick and untamed forest.
5. Mayle asserts that _________________ is the most common ailment that the French encounter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Inferior Italian________________ are often passed off as the superior French ones.
2. Mayle instantly became pen pals with whom?
3. Peter contacts _____________, identified only as Monsieur X, for help for his friend Frank.
4. Mayle keeps up with the correspondence as best he can but is truly ___________ when fans begin stopping by to get his autograph on their copies of his book.
5. The large shaggy animal is a stray and appears to be a French breed officially known as ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter say about this tasting experience? Why does he give these details?
2. What does Peter learn about toads at a cafe? What does Peter think of this? Why might he feel this way?
3. What is Peter's opinion of picnics? Why?
4. What happens to Peter because of the lunch he eats? How is this a good ending to his trip to the wine region?
5. What does Peter ask about tasting the wine? Why does he ask this? How does Michel respond? Why might Michel respond this way?
6. How does Mayle feel about fan mail at first? Why does he feel this way?
7. How does the book begin? What does this lead him to say about the French?
8. Why might Peter's wife still plan a picnic, although he does not like them?
9. Why is Peter's friend, Frank, worried and on edge? Should he feel this way?
10. How does Peter feel about his toad findings? Why does he feel this way?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)