|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There is often comment about dogs resembling who?
(a) Their breeds.
(b) Their masters.
(c) Their mothers.
(d) Their siblings.
2. Normal life begins in ________________ when the traffic is sparse and there are no crowds and there is never a problem to get a table at a restaurant.
3. Michel Bosc runs a restaurant and bar in the village of ________________.
4. A plausible explanation for the connection between pastis and the Provence is what?
(a) No other region enjoys pastis like those in Provence.
(b) The herbs used in the liqueur are cheap and readily available in the region.
(c) The herbs used in the liqueur are only grown in the region.
(d) A hermit from the region created the first pastis.
5. Place ______ serves as the town square in the center of Avignon.
6. After the second song, what does Pavarotti do?
(a) He thanks the audience for coming.
(b) He invites another singer to the stage.
(c) He sneezes.
(d) He leaves the stage for a short period.
7. In _________, the Mayle residence is threatened by the outbreak of nearby fires that eventually destroy a good portion of the surrounding forests.
8. The two men agree to share any profits, with a percent share for Mayle.
9. Régis suggests that he take the Mayles to ________ of his favorite restaurants for lunch.
10. Scores of ____________ are on sale everywhere one looks--laying on blankets, under trees and stacked in boxes.
(a) Older dogs.
(d) Dog stuffed animals.
11. After enduring another mild winter, dry conditions lead to a big fire that destroys six ____________________ acres near Marseille the following summer.
12. An annual party, the fete ____________, is held every summer in the town square.
13. A high-speed train is planned for Provence. Why?
(a) To reduce the amount of street traffic.
(b) To cut travel time from Northern France.
(c) To cut the travel time from Paris.
(d) To cut travel time for commuters.
14. Mayle tastes one that he thinks is unusually strong. His suspicions are confirmed when Michel tells him that the alcohol content is _________ percent, just at the legal limit for pastis.
15. For what does Peter pray?
(a) That Massot does not have a sledge hammer.
(b) That no one gives Massot a mallet for Christmas.
(c) That no one gives Massot a jack-hammer for Christmas.
(d) That Massot does not rent a bumping hammer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter do with Massot's plan?
2. In Faustin's opinion, what would be located by the well or near the chimney?
3. _____________ bars are located inside Les Halles, one of which called Chez Kiki, which serves champagne long before most people in town are awake.
4. The Mayles skip the morning trials, which eliminates what?
5. Although the wise men in the village had promised rain by ____________, conditions remain dry and parched.
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)