|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Near ______________, dogs of various breeds and purpose are being sold by dealers.
(a) The parking lot.
(b) The dog trailers.
(c) The stadium.
(d) The ring.
2. The tiny airport in Avignon is boasting direct flights to __________________ and will probably soon be referred to as Avignon International Airport.
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) New York.
3. During _____________, in an effort to prevent the outbreak of fires in the spring, the government trims back dry brush and undergrowth from the region.
4. How is the potential for fire made more dangerous?
(a) By the interest in grilling outside.
(b) By the gusty winds.
(c) By the amount of people who smoke.
(d) By the use of wood-burning stoves.
5. Mayle is in Avignon to shop at the fresh food market, Les Halles, located there. He has arrived at __________, before the market is open, in order to get a place to park.
(a) 5 am.
(b) 4 am.
(c) 7 am.
(d) 6 am.
6. The epitome of the Lubéron is its charming and picturesque group of villages, the jewel of which is a tiny town named ___________.
7. In Faustin's opinion, what would be located by the well or near the chimney?
(a) More jewelry.
(b) More shoes.
8. The Mayles skip the morning trials, which eliminates what?
(a) Young dogs.
(b) Hunting dogs.
(c) Small breeds.
(d) Mongrels and dogs with bad behavior.
9. Scores of ____________ are on sale everywhere one looks--laying on blankets, under trees and stacked in boxes.
(a) Older dogs.
(c) Dog stuffed animals.
10. Even though the water in the Mayle's pool is warm as soup, it attracts a herd of wild __________ one evening that back away when Boy scares them off.
11. A neighbor tells Mayle that he is becoming less ____________ because he now delights in rain.
12. Régis is a large man and is dressed casually in what?
(a) A robe.
(b) A running suit.
(c) A pair of shorts and a sweat shirt.
(d) A pair of jeans and a tee shirt.
13. The masses in England suffer from poor restaurant food, according to Regis. Why?
(a) There is no good food to be found in England.
(b) The English do not care about food.
(c) Only the rich can afford to go out and eat well.
(d) They do not have a good sense of taste.
14. The two men agree to share any profits, with a percent share for Mayle.
15. Based on its mild climate and upscale life-style, the Provence region is often referred to as what?
(a) "New Hollywood."
(b) "The Paris of the South."
(c) "The New York City of Europe."
(d) "The California of Europe."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Massot want to rent?
2. An annual party, the fete ____________, is held every summer in the town square.
3. Who is especially concerned regarding the low amount of rainfall?
4. The market was originally opened in ___________ but the current hall had been operational only since 1973.
5. A high-speed train is planned for Provence. Why?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)