|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes Joe's obsession in the moraines?
(c) The smell of urine.
2. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe frequently do?
(a) He digs bucket seats.
(b) He vomits.
(c) He stands up to check the progress of his route.
(d) He bleats out obscenities.
3. What does Joe land on when he falls into the crevasse?
(a) A cornice.
(b) The bottom of the crevasse.
(c) A snow hole.
(d) An ice bridge.
4. When Joe pulls on the rope in the crevasse, what happens?
(a) The rope breaks.
(b) The rope slides freely into the crevasse.
(c) The rope comes taught from the weight of Simon's body.
(d) Simon yells.
5. When he finds a way out, what does Joe say he has that he didn't have before?
(a) An escape route.
(b) Feeling in his fingers.
(c) A plan.
(d) The will to live.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joe reaches an open void while abseiling deep into the crevasse, and he struggles to continue. He compares the sensation to which experience?
2. In the opening scene of the chapter "Shadows in the Ice", Joe is convinced that he and his partner are going to die. What does Joe hope?
3. What is the first thing Richard gives to Simon?
4. When Joe finally musters the courage to look down, what does he see in disbelief?
5. After his first night in a snow cave since exiting the crevasse, Joe awakens, screaming from a nightmare about the crevasse, in which he was reciting what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What logic does Joe use to assume that Simon believes he is dead?
2. Joe tells of the most difficult thing he has ever done, and the best view he has ever seen. What are these?
3. As Simon descends Siula Grande at the beginning of "Silent Witness", how does he feel about the mountain?
4. The morning after arriving back at base camp, Simon revisits his feelings about the place while urinating on a boulder. How does he describe these emotions?
5. What are some of the reasons Richard gives for their expeditious departure?
6. After discovering that Simon had cut the rope, Joe turns off his head torch and cries himself to sleep. When he awakens, what are his immediate thoughts?
7. After learning that the rope had been cut and after getting some sleep in the crevasse, what are Joe's thoughts about the end of his life?
8. Before setting out across the moraines, what does Joe do with his Karrimat?
9. While preparing for his escape attempt up the snow cone towards the light, how does Joe's view towards the crevasse briefly change?
10. In the moraines, what device plays a crucial role in Joe's survival?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)