|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What method of movement does Joe first try when he is out of the crevasse?
2. What fifth step does Joe add to his pattern of movement through the moraines?
(a) Looking at his watch.
(c) Swinging his ax at the rocks to vent stress.
3. How does Joe resolve to die?
(a) In his sleep.
(b) Slowly and painlessly by hypothermia.
(c) By jumping into the void.
(d) Suddenly, unexpectedly, and in the course of finding a way out.
4. Who does Richard go to see about getting donkeys for transporting their gear?
5. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
(a) He sees some light at the bottom of the crevasse.
(b) He knows there is a way out.
(c) He cannot bear another night on the ice bridge.
(d) Because that is in the worst-case-scenario climber's manual.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon say he and Joe have changed by climbing the mountain?
2. Who does Simon dread talking to upon his return to civilization?
3. The morning after Simon cut the rope, he descends down the mountain. What does Simon believe to be Joe's fate?
4. After Bomb Alley, what is Joe's next objective?
5. After reciting a soliloquy as a preoccupying game, Joe realizes what?
Short Essay Questions
1. After he sees the frayed ends of the cut rope, what goes through Joe's mind?
2. While crawling away during his escape from the crevasse, what is Joe's most common excuse for stopping, and what persuades him to continue?
3. While abseiling to the right of the wall over which Joe had tumbled, why does Simon suddenly stop his descent?
4. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
5. Before setting out across the moraines, what does Joe do with his Karrimat?
6. When Joe finally clears the crevasses of the glacier and arrives at the moraines, what painful condition does he realize that he is stricken with, and how does he describe it?
7. Why is Joe so worried about losing Simon's tracks?
8. What are some of the reasons Richard gives for their expeditious departure?
9. The morning after arriving back at base camp, Simon revisits his feelings about the place while urinating on a boulder. How does he describe these emotions?
10. Through the moraines, Joe's watch is a strong preoccupation. Besides pain, what is his obsession?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)