|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the 4-step pattern of movement that Joe perfects to get through the moraines?
2. When Joe encounters Simon's footprints, he describes them as sinuous. What does this mean?
(c) Equally spaced.
(d) As if he had been running.
3. What is the weather like when Simon begins to descend the mountain alone?
(a) A complete whiteout.
(c) Calm, silent, sunny, and warm.
(d) High winds with 20-below-zero wind chills.
4. After 12 hours in the crevasse, Joe finally escapes. Although briefly mentioned in the chapter "In the Far Distance", a new character is now officially introduced. Who is it?
(a) The voice.
(c) The soaring condor.
5. What does Joe do when the voice tells him what to do?
(a) He cries.
(b) He ignores it.
(c) He obeys.
(d) He argues.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joe looks at the frayed end of the cut rope, what colors are the nylon filaments?
2. What is the first thing Richard gives to Simon?
3. How does Joe resolve to die?
4. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
5. In Bomb Alley, Joe sees the footprints of Simon and Richard. What does he think this means?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Joe so worried about losing Simon's tracks?
2. As Simon descends Siula Grande at the beginning of "Silent Witness", how does he feel about the mountain?
3. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
4. What are some of the reasons Richard gives for their expeditious departure?
5. When does the "voice" utter its first words of discouragement? What does it tell Joe?
6. How does Joe describe his night in the moraines under the stars?
7. In the moraines, what device plays a crucial role in Joe's survival?
8. When Joe finally clears the crevasses of the glacier and arrives at the moraines, what painful condition does he realize that he is stricken with, and how does he describe it?
9. While preparing for his escape attempt up the snow cone towards the light, how does Joe's view towards the crevasse briefly change?
10. As Simon turns for one last look at Siula Grande, what goes through his mind?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)