|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Joe shout over and over in the crevasse?
2. In the opening scene of the chapter "Shadows in the Ice", Joe is convinced that he and his partner are going to die. What does Joe hope?
(a) That he hits the water at the bottom of the crevasse.
(b) That Simon has a quick death.
(c) That he remembered to give his parents' phone number to Richard.
(d) That someone will know they made it to the summit of Siula Grande by the West Face.
3. After waking from his nightmare, what does Joe see?
(a) His breath against the snow roof.
(c) A way out.
(d) Sunlight reflecting off of his crampons.
4. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
(a) The fragile ceiling of a lower cavern.
(b) Snow-covered rock.
(c) Not really snow at all.
(d) A dead end.
5. While abseiling deeper into the crevasse, Joe is certain of two things. What are they?
(a) There is a way out of the crevasse and he will find it.
(b) Simon is alive and will come back for him.
(c) Simon is dead and will never be found.
(d) Simon is gone and will not return.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon assume the foul taste in his mouth is from?
2. In Bomb Alley, Joe sees the footprints of Simon and Richard. What does he think this means?
3. What are the bas-relief figures doing?
4. Who narrates the chapter "Silent Witness"?
5. What does Joe lack the courage to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. After he sees the frayed ends of the cut rope, what goes through Joe's mind?
2. What logic does Joe use to assume that Simon believes he is dead?
3. While crawling away during his escape from the crevasse, what is Joe's most common excuse for stopping, and what persuades him to continue?
4. As Simon turns for one last look at Siula Grande, what goes through his mind?
5. After discovering that Simon had cut the rope, Joe turns off his head torch and cries himself to sleep. When he awakens, what are his immediate thoughts?
6. Describe Joe's one article of clothing that Simon can't bring himself to burn.
7. The morning after arriving back at base camp, Simon revisits his feelings about the place while urinating on a boulder. How does he describe these emotions?
8. After learning that the rope had been cut and after getting some sleep in the crevasse, what are Joe's thoughts about the end of his life?
9. What are some of the reasons Richard gives for their expeditious departure?
10. While trying to reach base camp, what single thought springs Joe into action, but also holds the possibility of being the final death of him?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)