|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the rope suddenly pulls on Simon with great force, what situation is Joe in that Simon cannot see?
(a) Joe has given up.
(b) Joe has gone unconscious.
(c) Joe has fallen into a crevasse.
(d) Joe has gone over the edge of an ice wall.
2. At one of the lowering changeovers, Simon smiles at Joe, and Joe realizes that their partnership...
(a) Had been a bad idea.
(b) Is accident-prone.
(c) Is just as effective and had turned from climbing to rescue.
(d) Has gone from bad to worse.
3. What does Simon insist that Joe not do on this trip?
(b) Smoke cigarettes.
(c) Drink beer.
(d) Smoke marijuana.
4. How many practice climbs do Joe and Simon complete in order to acclimatize?
5. What is the first thing Simon says to Joe after Joe tells him about the broken leg?
(a) 'Are you sure it's broken?'
(b) 'Are you okay?'
(c) 'I'll abseil down to you.'
(d) 'What happened?'
Short Answer Questions
1. As Simon lowers Joe, what causes the most pain?
2. What collapses under Simon's feet?
3. Simon tells Joe that he is knackered. What does this mean?
4. What do the climbers run out of in the chapter "On the Edge"?
5. What do the climbers use to help them see at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. After breaking his leg, why doesn't Joe ask Simon for help?
2. What is Joe's plan of action if Simon falls through, or off, the ridge again?
3. Toward the end of "On the Edge", Joe awakens in the snow hole with what sensation?
4. Why does Simon cut the rope?
5. On page 65, Joe says, 'I knew it would be a good day.' By the end of the day, how and why does his view of the day change?
6. When Joe and Simon start their ascent of the first ice wall on Siula Grande, what is Joe's attitude toward what they are doing?
7. Why do Simon and Joe avoid the issue of discussing their game plan after Joe's injury?
8. On the eve of the summit conquest, what does Simon do that leaves Joe in disbelief?
9. What worries Joe and Simon the most about the final part of the route to the summit?
10. Describe Simon's feelings at the end of "The Final Choice".
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)