|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joe notes in the chapter "On the Edge" that any accident needing a rope to break a fall would be...
(a) Just what they need.
(d) A bummer.
2. Before recounting the Mont Blanc incident, Joe determines that Simon...
(a) Is going to leave without him.
(b) Has broken his leg.
(c) Is indeed frostbitten.
(d) Is suffering from altitude sickness.
3. When Joe follows Simon, he is careful to do what?
(a) Not lose sight of Simon.
(b) Keep Richard informed of their progress.
(c) Follow Simon's footsteps exactly.
(d) Avoid Simon's footsteps entirely.
4. When Joe knocks down a row of large icicles, he curses the pain of a...
(a) Cracked tooth.
(b) Broken heel.
(c) Shattered femur.
(d) Broken knee joint.
5. Which practice route does Al Rouse understate as 'a ridge of some difficulty'?
(a) The South Ridge of Cerro Yantauri.
(b) Rosario Norte.
(c) The South Ridge of Seria Norte.
(d) Cerro Serapo.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far from the nearest village do Joe, Simon, and Richard pitch base camp?
2. What are Joe Simpson and Ian Whittaker doing when the ground breaks out from underneath them?
3. What does Simon insist that Joe not do on this trip?
4. How many hours do Joe and Ian hang on the rope before being rescued?
5. When Joe and Simon move together, Joe moves only when...
Short Essay Questions
1. Joe says that a 'warm feeling' stays with him while Simon lowers him. What 'warm feeling' is he referring to?
2. What does Joe like about Simon's personality?
3. What is Joe's plan of action if Simon falls through, or off, the ridge again?
4. While thinking about the possibility of having fallen off the ridge while roped together, Joe talks about what incident witnessed by Simon?
5. What worries Joe and Simon the most about the final part of the route to the summit?
6. In "Disaster", Joe says, 'In an instant an uncrossable gap had come between us and we were no longer a team working together.' In "The Final Choice", how has Joe's view changed?
7. Toward the end of "On the Edge", Joe awakens in the snow hole with what sensation?
8. Joe describes the beginning of their practice climb on Yantauri as 'inauspicious' (p24). Why?
9. In "Storm at the Summit", how does Joe get a bloody lip and a cracked tooth?
10. On page 65 in "On the Edge", Joe says, 'Funny how my anxiety [about Simon's frostbitten fingers] seemed to have more to do with whether he would be able to carry on climbing after we got down rather than concern for his injuries'. Why is this statement significant?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)