|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What side of Siula Grande do Joe and Simon have the ambition to conquer?
(a) The North Face.
(b) The East Face.
(c) The South Face.
(d) The West Face.
2. How far does Simon lower Joe each time before he descends himself?
(a) Approximately 300 meters.
(b) Approximately 300 abseils.
(c) Approximately 300 feet.
(d) Approximately 150 feet.
3. At the beginning of the chapter "On the Edge", on which side of Siula Grande are Joe and Simon descending?
(a) The South Face.
(b) The West Face.
(c) The North Face.
(d) The East Face.
4. What is the name of the rock that Joe and Ian climb?
(b) The Rock of Gibraltar.
(c) The Bonatti Pillar.
(d) Les Petits Drus.
5. A hundredweight of icicles falls on Joe's head. How much is this?
(a) 100 kilograms.
(b) 100 grams.
(c) About 100 icicles.
(d) 100 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Joe and Simon expect to be gone on their climb of Siula Grande?
2. What does Simon insist that Joe not do on this trip?
3. When Joe sees Simon's frostbitten fingers, why does he feel anxious?
4. On what route do two climbers witness the deaths of two other climbers?
5. When thinking about being left on the mountain, Joe feels himself "teetering on the edge of..."
Short Essay Questions
1. On the first practice climb to Seria Norte, Joe loses sight of base camp and immediately notices what?
2. What worries Joe and Simon the most about the final part of the route to the summit?
3. In "Storm at the Summit", how does Joe get a bloody lip and a cracked tooth?
4. On page 65 in "On the Edge", Joe says, 'Funny how my anxiety [about Simon's frostbitten fingers] seemed to have more to do with whether he would be able to carry on climbing after we got down rather than concern for his injuries'. Why is this statement significant?
5. Describe the first bivouac site on Siula Grande.
6. At the beginning of "Tempting Fate", what does Joe say about his fingers, and how does he deal with them?
7. On page 65, Joe says, 'I knew it would be a good day.' By the end of the day, how and why does his view of the day change?
8. Why does Joe consider standing on the summit an unsettling anticlimax?
9. What does Joe like about Simon's personality?
10. What occurs to Joe at the beginning of "On the Edge"?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)