|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he falls into the crevasse, what does Joe see through the hole far above?
(a) Simon's body.
2. What does Simon say the mountain has taken?
(b) His dignity.
(c) His achievement.
3. When Joe pulls on the rope in the crevasse, what happens?
(a) The rope breaks.
(b) The rope slides freely into the crevasse.
(c) The rope comes taught from the weight of Simon's body.
(d) Simon yells.
4. The morning after Simon cut the rope, he descends down the mountain. What does Simon believe to be Joe's fate?
(a) He is alive.
(b) He has fallen into a crevasse.
(c) He has gone insane.
(d) He has died.
5. After 12 hours in the crevasse, Joe finally escapes. Although briefly mentioned in the chapter "In the Far Distance", a new character is now officially introduced. Who is it?
(b) The soaring condor.
(c) The voice.
6. To what does Joe compare the figures in the ice?
(a) Carvings inside a Hindu Temple.
(b) Answers #1, #2, and #3.
(c) Paintings by Titian of grossly fat nudes.
(d) A Renaissance painting in the Sistine Chapel.
7. When he finds a way out, what does Joe say he has that he didn't have before?
(a) Feeling in his fingers.
(b) An escape route.
(c) A plan.
(d) The will to live.
8. After seeing that the rope had been cut, Joe falls asleep. What wakes him?
(a) A nightmare of falling.
(b) The sounds of the glacier.
(c) Someone shouting.
(d) The cold.
9. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
(a) He knows there is a way out.
(b) Because that is in the worst-case-scenario climber's manual.
(c) He cannot bear another night on the ice bridge.
(d) He sees some light at the bottom of the crevasse.
10. While abseiling deeper into the crevasse, Joe is certain of two things. What are they?
(a) Simon is gone and will not return.
(b) There is a way out of the crevasse and he will find it.
(c) Simon is dead and will never be found.
(d) Simon is alive and will come back for him.
11. What does Simon assume the foul taste in his mouth is from?
(a) Pulmonary edema.
(d) Altitude sickness.
12. What becomes Joe's obsession in the moraines?
(b) The smell of urine.
13. What does Joe see that makes him certain that he is going to get out of the crevasse?
(a) A breeze.
(b) A beam of sunlight.
(c) Signs of life.
(d) A note from Simon.
14. What method of movement does Joe first try when he is out of the crevasse?
15. What does Simon do with Joe's clothes?
(a) He puts them in a bag to give to Joe's parents.
(b) He packs them with Joe's camera and diary.
(c) He burns them in the riverbed.
(d) He gives them to Gloria and Norma.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joe finally reaches Bomb Alley, he immediately finds a trickle of water. How long has he gone without food or water?
2. In the opening scene of the chapter "Shadows in the Ice", Joe is convinced that he and his partner are going to die. What does Joe hope?
3. How does Joe describe the shape of the crevasse chamber where he has been?
4. Why does Joe turn off his head torch?
5. After Bomb Alley, what is Joe's next objective?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)