|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When sorting through Joe's possessions, what does Simon salvage?
(a) Joe's clothes.
(b) Joe's hat from Czechoslovakia.
(c) A bag from Chamonix.
(d) Miri Smidt's diary.
2. After the moraines, what is Joe's next destination goal?
(a) Bomb Alley.
(c) The lake.
(d) Base camp.
3. What is a bergschrund?
(a) The hop of an injured climber.
(b) A crevasse at the head of a mountain glacier.
(c) A burgundy-colored, crunchy type of scree.
(d) A natural amphitheatre.
4. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
(a) He asks Richard.
(b) He pulls the rope.
(c) He calls him on the radio.
(d) He taps their secret code on the ice wall.
5. How does Joe describe the shape of the crevasse chamber where he has been?
(b) A figure-8.
6. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe frequently do?
(a) He digs bucket seats.
(b) He bleats out obscenities.
(c) He vomits.
(d) He stands up to check the progress of his route.
7. What name does Joe shout over and over in the crevasse?
8. When Simon reaches base camp, what is the first thing he says to Richard?
(a) 'He fell.'
(b) 'You look terrible!'
(c) 'There was nothing I could do.'
(d) 'Joe's dead.'
9. After he falls into the crevasse, what does Joe see through the hole far above?
(b) Simon's body.
10. When Joe encounters Simon's footprints, he describes them as sinuous. What does this mean?
(a) Equally spaced.
(d) As if he had been running.
11. Besides the commands of the voice, what does Joe rely on to keep him going?
(a) The heat.
(c) The glacier.
(d) His watch.
12. When he finds a way out, what does Joe say he has that he didn't have before?
(a) An escape route.
(b) The will to live.
(c) A plan.
(d) Feeling in his fingers.
13. What does Joe strap around his injured leg?
(a) The rope.
(b) His harness.
(c) His Karrimat.
(d) His sleeping bag.
14. Joe reaches an open void while abseiling deep into the crevasse, and he struggles to continue. He compares the sensation to which experience?
(a) Standing in the doorway of a plane, wearing a parachute.
(b) The moment before saying "yes" in a marriage ceremony.
(c) Standing on a diving board and staring into the pool.
(d) Riding a bike for the first time.
15. Who narrates the chapter "Silent Witness"?
(b) The editor.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he emerges from the crevasse, what obstacle next lies in his path?
2. While abseiling deeper into the crevasse, Joe is certain of two things. What are they?
3. Why does Joe turn off his head torch?
4. What does Joe land on when he falls into the crevasse?
5. What does Joe shout at the lake?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)