|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far into the crevasse does Joe guess he has fallen?
(a) About 100 feet.
(b) About 50 stories.
(c) All the way.
(d) About 50 feet.
2. Joe reaches an open void while abseiling deep into the crevasse, and he struggles to continue. He compares the sensation to which experience?
(a) Standing in the doorway of a plane, wearing a parachute.
(b) Standing on a diving board and staring into the pool.
(c) The moment before saying "yes" in a marriage ceremony.
(d) Riding a bike for the first time.
3. In the opening scene of the chapter "Shadows in the Ice", Joe is convinced that he and his partner are going to die. What does Joe hope?
(a) That he hits the water at the bottom of the crevasse.
(b) That someone will know they made it to the summit of Siula Grande by the West Face.
(c) That he remembered to give his parents' phone number to Richard.
(d) That Simon has a quick death.
4. While abseiling deeper into the crevasse, Joe is certain of two things. What are they?
(a) There is a way out of the crevasse and he will find it.
(b) Simon is gone and will not return.
(c) Simon is dead and will never be found.
(d) Simon is alive and will come back for him.
5. When Joe encounters Simon's footprints, he describes them as sinuous. What does this mean?
(a) As if he had been running.
(d) Equally spaced.
6. What becomes Joe's obsession in the moraines?
(d) The smell of urine.
7. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
(a) Snow-covered rock.
(b) A dead end.
(c) The fragile ceiling of a lower cavern.
(d) Not really snow at all.
8. Who does Simon get extremely angry at during his last full day at base camp?
(a) Gloria and Norma.
(c) The voice.
9. When he finds a way out, what does Joe say he has that he didn't have before?
(a) A plan.
(b) The will to live.
(c) An escape route.
(d) Feeling in his fingers.
10. What does Simon believe causes the loss of Joe?
(a) The very means by which they tried to rescue themselves.
(b) His stupidity.
(c) The weather.
(d) The fact that they were on the wrong side of the mountain.
11. After waking from his nightmare, what does Joe see?
(a) Sunlight reflecting off of his crampons.
(c) A way out.
(d) His breath against the snow roof.
12. In Bomb Alley, Joe sees the footprints of Simon and Richard. What does he think this means?
(a) That they can't keep up.
(b) That they have left him.
(c) That they are following close behind.
(d) That they are embarrassed for having wet themselves.
13. What does Joe see that makes him certain that he is going to get out of the crevasse?
(a) A breeze.
(b) A note from Simon.
(c) A beam of sunlight.
(d) Signs of life.
14. What does Simon say the mountain has taken?
(b) His dignity.
(c) His achievement.
15. What does Simon do with Joe's clothes?
(a) He burns them in the riverbed.
(b) He packs them with Joe's camera and diary.
(c) He puts them in a bag to give to Joe's parents.
(d) He gives them to Gloria and Norma.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the moraines, what is Joe's next destination goal?
2. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
3. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
4. Who does Simon dread talking to upon his return to civilization?
5. What method of movement does Joe first try when he is out of the crevasse?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)