|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Simon reaches base camp, what is the first thing he says to Richard?
(a) 'Joe's dead.'
(b) 'You look terrible!'
(c) 'There was nothing I could do.'
(d) 'He fell.'
2. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
(a) He calls him on the radio.
(b) He asks Richard.
(c) He taps their secret code on the ice wall.
(d) He pulls the rope.
3. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
(a) Snow-covered rock.
(b) The fragile ceiling of a lower cavern.
(c) Not really snow at all.
(d) A dead end.
4. To what does Joe compare the figures in the ice?
(a) Answers #1, #2, and #3.
(b) A Renaissance painting in the Sistine Chapel.
(c) Paintings by Titian of grossly fat nudes.
(d) Carvings inside a Hindu Temple.
5. What does Joe lack the courage to do?
(a) Move his leg.
(c) Climb out.
(d) Commit suicide.
6. Gloria and Norma are gawping at Simon. Why?
(a) They can't believe what they are seeing.
(b) They feel sorry for Simon.
(c) They want to know what Simon and Richard are going to give them.
(d) They think Simon murdered Joe.
7. What is the first thing Richard gives to Simon?
(d) The medicine bag.
8. The morning after Simon cut the rope, he descends down the mountain. What does Simon believe to be Joe's fate?
(a) He is alive.
(b) He has fallen into a crevasse.
(c) He has gone insane.
(d) He has died.
9. How far into the crevasse does Joe guess he has fallen?
(a) All the way.
(b) About 50 feet.
(c) About 50 stories.
(d) About 100 feet.
10. What is the weather like when Simon begins to descend the mountain alone?
(a) Calm, silent, sunny, and warm.
(b) A complete whiteout.
(c) High winds with 20-below-zero wind chills.
11. What does Joe land on when he falls into the crevasse?
(a) An ice bridge.
(b) The bottom of the crevasse.
(c) A snow hole.
(d) A cornice.
12. When Joe finally musters the courage to look down, what does he see in disbelief?
(a) A snow-covered floor.
(b) The Prussik knot he had dropped while hanging above the crevasse.
(c) Another dead climber.
(d) The corpse of an ancient iceman.
13. What does Simon do with Joe's clothes?
(a) He burns them in the riverbed.
(b) He gives them to Gloria and Norma.
(c) He puts them in a bag to give to Joe's parents.
(d) He packs them with Joe's camera and diary.
14. What does Joe do when the voice tells him what to do?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He obeys.
(c) He argues.
(d) He cries.
15. When he finds a way out, what does Joe say he has that he didn't have before?
(a) The will to live.
(b) Feeling in his fingers.
(c) A plan.
(d) An escape route.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joe resolve to die?
2. What is a bergschrund?
3. When Joe falls into the crevasse, what is the first thing he does when he realizes he is alive?
4. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
5. After waking from his nightmare, what does Joe see?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)