|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Richard gives to Simon?
(a) The medicine bag.
2. What does Joe strap around his injured leg?
(a) His sleeping bag.
(b) His harness.
(c) His Karrimat.
(d) The rope.
3. When Simon reaches base camp, what is the first thing he says to Richard?
(a) 'You look terrible!'
(b) 'Joe's dead.'
(c) 'There was nothing I could do.'
(d) 'He fell.'
4. The human figures Joe sees in the broken ice of a cliff are in "bas-relief". What does this mean?
(b) Projecting slightly from the background.
(c) Humming a bass-pitched tune.
5. Simon feels as if the whole struggle up until he cuts the rope is the deliberate scheme of whom?
(a) The Peruvians.
(b) A bored and evil force.
6. What does Simon assume the foul taste in his mouth is from?
(b) Altitude sickness.
(c) Pulmonary edema.
7. When Joe finally musters the courage to look down, what does he see in disbelief?
(a) A snow-covered floor.
(b) Another dead climber.
(c) The Prussik knot he had dropped while hanging above the crevasse.
(d) The corpse of an ancient iceman.
8. How does Joe describe the shape of the crevasse chamber where he has been?
(d) A figure-8.
9. After 12 hours in the crevasse, Joe finally escapes. Although briefly mentioned in the chapter "In the Far Distance", a new character is now officially introduced. Who is it?
(a) The soaring condor.
(c) The voice.
10. To what does Joe compare the figures in the ice?
(a) A Renaissance painting in the Sistine Chapel.
(b) Answers #1, #2, and #3.
(c) Paintings by Titian of grossly fat nudes.
(d) Carvings inside a Hindu Temple.
11. What does Simon believe causes the loss of Joe?
(a) The fact that they were on the wrong side of the mountain.
(b) His stupidity.
(c) The very means by which they tried to rescue themselves.
(d) The weather.
12. Simon recalls that he wanted to see Bolivia before returning to London. What country does Joe want to see?
13. After Bomb Alley, what is Joe's next objective?
(a) The upper lake.
(b) The lower lake.
(c) The riverbed.
(d) Base camp.
14. What is the 4-step pattern of movement that Joe perfects to get through the moraines?
15. What does Simon say he and Joe have changed by climbing the mountain?
(b) The record books.
(c) The mountain face.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the commands of the voice, what does Joe rely on to keep him going?
2. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
3. What does Joe see that makes him certain that he is going to get out of the crevasse?
4. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
5. What is the weather like when Simon begins to descend the mountain alone?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)