|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Richard and Simon spend a considerable amount of time searching for, but never find?
(a) Simon's money.
(b) Joe's money.
(c) The map.
(d) Simon's passport.
2. After Bomb Alley, what is Joe's next objective?
(a) The riverbed.
(b) The upper lake.
(c) Base camp.
(d) The lower lake.
3. What does Joe lack the courage to do?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Move his leg.
(d) Climb out.
4. When reaching the "floor" of the crevasse, Joe determines his depth to be...
(a) About 100 feet.
(b) About 50 feet.
(c) Below sea level.
(d) About 150 feet.
5. When Joe finally reaches Bomb Alley, he immediately finds a trickle of water. How long has he gone without food or water?
(a) Eight days.
(c) One whole day.
(d) Three days.
6. How does Joe get through the moraines?
(b) Hopping and falling.
(c) Scooting on his left side.
7. Besides the commands of the voice, what does Joe rely on to keep him going?
(b) His watch.
(c) The heat.
(d) The glacier.
8. After waking from his nightmare, what does Joe see?
(a) Sunlight reflecting off of his crampons.
(b) His breath against the snow roof.
(c) A way out.
9. When Joe falls into the crevasse, what is the first thing he does when he realizes he is alive?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He looks for his head torch.
(c) He pulls on the rope.
(d) He yells for Simon.
10. What does Joe do when the voice tells him what to do?
(a) He cries.
(b) He obeys.
(c) He ignores it.
(d) He argues.
11. What name does Joe shout over and over in the crevasse?
12. After seeing that the rope had been cut, Joe falls asleep. What wakes him?
(a) Someone shouting.
(b) A nightmare of falling.
(c) The sounds of the glacier.
(d) The cold.
13. How does Joe describe the shape of the crevasse chamber where he has been?
(a) A figure-8.
14. Gloria and Norma are gawping at Simon. Why?
(a) They want to know what Simon and Richard are going to give them.
(b) They feel sorry for Simon.
(c) They can't believe what they are seeing.
(d) They think Simon murdered Joe.
15. What is the first thing Richard gives to Simon?
(d) The medicine bag.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the bas-relief figures doing?
2. In Bomb Alley, Joe sees the footprints of Simon and Richard. What does he think this means?
3. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe hear in his head in addition to the voice?
4. Who narrates the chapter "Silent Witness"?
5. What does Simon assume the foul taste in his mouth is from?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)