|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe shout at the lake?
(b) "Four o'clock and all's well."
(c) "Don't be a fool. Two hours' light left."
(d) "Help me!"
2. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
(a) Snow-covered rock.
(b) A dead end.
(c) The fragile ceiling of a lower cavern.
(d) Not really snow at all.
3. What is the weather like when Simon begins to descend the mountain alone?
(a) Calm, silent, sunny, and warm.
(b) A complete whiteout.
(d) High winds with 20-below-zero wind chills.
4. When Simon reaches base camp, what is the first thing he says to Richard?
(a) 'Joe's dead.'
(b) 'There was nothing I could do.'
(c) 'You look terrible!'
(d) 'He fell.'
5. What does Joe land on when he falls into the crevasse?
(a) An ice bridge.
(b) A snow hole.
(c) A cornice.
(d) The bottom of the crevasse.
6. What is the 4-step pattern of movement that Joe perfects to get through the moraines?
7. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe frequently do?
(a) He digs bucket seats.
(b) He vomits.
(c) He bleats out obscenities.
(d) He stands up to check the progress of his route.
8. When Joe finally reaches Bomb Alley, he immediately finds a trickle of water. How long has he gone without food or water?
(b) Eight days.
(c) Three days.
(d) One whole day.
9. After waking from his nightmare, what does Joe see?
(a) A way out.
(b) His breath against the snow roof.
(c) Sunlight reflecting off of his crampons.
10. What does Simon say the mountain has taken?
(c) His achievement.
(d) His dignity.
11. When Joe falls into the crevasse, what is the first thing he does when he realizes he is alive?
(a) He yells for Simon.
(b) He looks for his head torch.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He pulls on the rope.
12. What does Simon say he and Joe have changed by climbing the mountain?
(a) The mountain face.
(c) The record books.
13. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
(a) Because that is in the worst-case-scenario climber's manual.
(b) He cannot bear another night on the ice bridge.
(c) He knows there is a way out.
(d) He sees some light at the bottom of the crevasse.
14. When reaching the "floor" of the crevasse, Joe determines his depth to be...
(a) About 100 feet.
(b) Below sea level.
(c) About 50 feet.
(d) About 150 feet.
15. Who does Simon dread talking to upon his return to civilization?
(a) Joe's parents and Joe's wife.
(b) Spinoza and Richard.
(c) The police and Joe's parents.
(d) The police and Customs officials.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fifth step does Joe add to his pattern of movement through the moraines?
2. What name does Joe shout over and over in the crevasse?
3. At seven o'clock on the eve of their departure from base camp, Simon and Richard hear a strange cry in the distance. What does Richard suggest it is?
4. After coming to the conclusion that Joe is dead, Simon is determined to do what?
5. After 12 hours in the crevasse, Joe finally escapes. Although briefly mentioned in the chapter "In the Far Distance", a new character is now officially introduced. Who is it?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)