|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like when Simon begins to descend the mountain alone?
(a) Calm, silent, sunny, and warm.
(b) High winds with 20-below-zero wind chills.
(c) A complete whiteout.
2. At seven o'clock on the eve of their departure from base camp, Simon and Richard hear a strange cry in the distance. What does Richard suggest it is?
(c) A dog.
(d) Joe's ghost.
3. What is the first thing Richard gives to Simon?
(a) The medicine bag.
4. What fifth step does Joe add to his pattern of movement through the moraines?
(b) Swinging his ax at the rocks to vent stress.
(c) Looking at his watch.
5. After the moraines, what is Joe's next destination goal?
(a) Bomb Alley.
(b) Base camp.
(c) The lake.
6. What name does Joe shout over and over in the crevasse?
7. As he lowers himself deeper into the crevasse, what does Joe stare at?
(a) His feet.
(b) The opening.
(c) The blackness.
(d) The ice screw.
8. When Joe pulls on the rope in the crevasse, what happens?
(a) Simon yells.
(b) The rope breaks.
(c) The rope comes taught from the weight of Simon's body.
(d) The rope slides freely into the crevasse.
9. What does Simon believe causes the loss of Joe?
(a) His stupidity.
(b) The fact that they were on the wrong side of the mountain.
(c) The very means by which they tried to rescue themselves.
(d) The weather.
10. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
(a) Snow-covered rock.
(b) The fragile ceiling of a lower cavern.
(c) Not really snow at all.
(d) A dead end.
11. Why does Joe turn off his head torch?
(a) He can't stand the looks of his injury.
(b) So he can see out better.
(c) To save the batteries.
(d) So he can go to sleep.
12. What becomes Joe's obsession in the moraines?
(b) The smell of urine.
13. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe hear in his head in addition to the voice?
(a) Pop song lyrics.
(b) Voices of dead people.
14. Who narrates the chapter "Silent Witness"?
(d) The editor.
15. Simon recalls that he wanted to see Bolivia before returning to London. What country does Joe want to see?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joe describe the shape of the crevasse chamber where he has been?
2. While abseiling deeper into the crevasse, Joe is certain of two things. What are they?
3. How far into the crevasse does Joe guess he has fallen?
4. After Bomb Alley, what is Joe's next objective?
5. How does Joe resolve to die?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)