|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Joe compare the figures in the ice?
(a) A Renaissance painting in the Sistine Chapel.
(b) Paintings by Titian of grossly fat nudes.
(c) Carvings inside a Hindu Temple.
(d) Answers #1, #2, and #3.
2. When Joe encounters Simon's footprints, he describes them as sinuous. What does this mean?
(a) As if he had been running.
(c) Equally spaced.
3. After his first night in a snow cave since exiting the crevasse, Joe awakens, screaming from a nightmare about the crevasse, in which he was reciting what?
(a) A Shakespeare soliloquy.
(b) The climber's oath.
(c) His vow of revenge.
(d) A pop song.
4. After he falls into the crevasse, what does Joe see through the hole far above?
(a) Simon's body.
5. What is the first thing Richard gives to Simon?
(b) The medicine bag.
6. What does Joe not want to lose sight of on the glacier?
(a) Simon's tracks.
(b) The lake.
(c) The North Star.
(d) Base camp.
7. When Joe pulls on the rope in the crevasse, what happens?
(a) The rope comes taught from the weight of Simon's body.
(b) Simon yells.
(c) The rope breaks.
(d) The rope slides freely into the crevasse.
8. What is the 4-step pattern of movement that Joe perfects to get through the moraines?
9. Upon clearing the crevasses and reaching the moraines, what does Joe realize?
(a) That he is snow-blind.
(b) That he's going the wrong direction.
(c) That Simon and Richard have left base camp.
(d) That the lakes are frozen.
10. What does Joe see that makes him certain that he is going to get out of the crevasse?
(a) A beam of sunlight.
(b) Signs of life.
(c) A note from Simon.
(d) A breeze.
11. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
(a) The fragile ceiling of a lower cavern.
(b) Snow-covered rock.
(c) A dead end.
(d) Not really snow at all.
12. When sorting through Joe's possessions, what does Simon salvage?
(a) A bag from Chamonix.
(b) Miri Smidt's diary.
(c) Joe's hat from Czechoslovakia.
(d) Joe's clothes.
13. What does Joe lack the courage to do?
(b) Climb out.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Move his leg.
14. What does Simon say the mountain has taken?
(a) His achievement.
(b) His dignity.
15. Simon feels as if the whole struggle up until he cuts the rope is the deliberate scheme of whom?
(a) The Peruvians.
(c) A bored and evil force.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon say he and Joe have changed by climbing the mountain?
2. When Richard returns to base camp, he informs Simon that Spinoza will arrive with the donkeys when?
3. When Joe falls into the crevasse, what is the first thing he does when he realizes he is alive?
4. What do Richard and Simon spend a considerable amount of time searching for, but never find?
5. After seeing that the rope had been cut, Joe falls asleep. What wakes him?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)