|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
(a) Snow-covered rock.
(b) Not really snow at all.
(c) A dead end.
(d) The fragile ceiling of a lower cavern.
2. What does Joe land on when he falls into the crevasse?
(a) A cornice.
(b) A snow hole.
(c) The bottom of the crevasse.
(d) An ice bridge.
3. Gloria and Norma are gawping at Simon. Why?
(a) They feel sorry for Simon.
(b) They want to know what Simon and Richard are going to give them.
(c) They think Simon murdered Joe.
(d) They can't believe what they are seeing.
4. What name does Joe shout over and over in the crevasse?
5. When he finds a way out, what does Joe say he has that he didn't have before?
(a) An escape route.
(b) Feeling in his fingers.
(c) A plan.
(d) The will to live.
6. What are the bas-relief figures doing?
(a) Pointing toward God.
7. Who does Simon get extremely angry at during his last full day at base camp?
(c) The voice.
(d) Gloria and Norma.
8. What does Joe not want to lose sight of on the glacier?
(a) Simon's tracks.
(b) The lake.
(c) Base camp.
(d) The North Star.
9. What does Simon do with Joe's clothes?
(a) He gives them to Gloria and Norma.
(b) He puts them in a bag to give to Joe's parents.
(c) He packs them with Joe's camera and diary.
(d) He burns them in the riverbed.
10. Joe reaches an open void while abseiling deep into the crevasse, and he struggles to continue. He compares the sensation to which experience?
(a) Standing on a diving board and staring into the pool.
(b) Standing in the doorway of a plane, wearing a parachute.
(c) The moment before saying "yes" in a marriage ceremony.
(d) Riding a bike for the first time.
11. To what does Joe compare the figures in the ice?
(a) A Renaissance painting in the Sistine Chapel.
(b) Paintings by Titian of grossly fat nudes.
(c) Carvings inside a Hindu Temple.
(d) Answers #1, #2, and #3.
12. What does Joe lack the courage to do?
(a) Climb out.
(b) Move his leg.
(c) Commit suicide.
13. What does Joe strap around his injured leg?
(a) His harness.
(b) His Karrimat.
(c) The rope.
(d) His sleeping bag.
14. What does Simon believe causes the loss of Joe?
(a) The weather.
(b) The very means by which they tried to rescue themselves.
(c) His stupidity.
(d) The fact that they were on the wrong side of the mountain.
15. When Joe finally reaches Bomb Alley, he immediately finds a trickle of water. How long has he gone without food or water?
(a) Three days.
(b) Eight days.
(d) One whole day.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joe looks at the frayed end of the cut rope, what colors are the nylon filaments?
2. What method of movement does Joe first try when he is out of the crevasse?
3. After he emerges from the crevasse, what obstacle next lies in his path?
4. How does Joe get through the moraines?
5. When sorting through Joe's possessions, what does Simon salvage?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)