|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Bomb Alley, Joe sees the footprints of Simon and Richard. What does he think this means?
(a) That they can't keep up.
(b) That they are following close behind.
(c) That they have left him.
(d) That they are embarrassed for having wet themselves.
2. When he finds a way out, what does Joe say he has that he didn't have before?
(a) A plan.
(b) An escape route.
(c) Feeling in his fingers.
(d) The will to live.
3. When Joe finally reaches Bomb Alley, he immediately finds a trickle of water. How long has he gone without food or water?
(a) One whole day.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Three days.
4. Joe reaches an open void while abseiling deep into the crevasse, and he struggles to continue. He compares the sensation to which experience?
(a) Standing on a diving board and staring into the pool.
(b) Riding a bike for the first time.
(c) The moment before saying "yes" in a marriage ceremony.
(d) Standing in the doorway of a plane, wearing a parachute.
5. Why does Joe turn off his head torch?
(a) So he can see out better.
(b) To save the batteries.
(c) He can't stand the looks of his injury.
(d) So he can go to sleep.
6. What does Joe see that makes him certain that he is going to get out of the crevasse?
(a) Signs of life.
(b) A breeze.
(c) A note from Simon.
(d) A beam of sunlight.
7. Who does Simon get extremely angry at during his last full day at base camp?
(b) Gloria and Norma.
(c) The voice.
8. After he falls into the crevasse, what does Joe see through the hole far above?
(b) Simon's body.
9. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
(a) Because that is in the worst-case-scenario climber's manual.
(b) He sees some light at the bottom of the crevasse.
(c) He knows there is a way out.
(d) He cannot bear another night on the ice bridge.
10. What does Simon believe causes the loss of Joe?
(a) The fact that they were on the wrong side of the mountain.
(b) The very means by which they tried to rescue themselves.
(c) The weather.
(d) His stupidity.
11. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe frequently do?
(a) He bleats out obscenities.
(b) He digs bucket seats.
(c) He vomits.
(d) He stands up to check the progress of his route.
12. What is a bergschrund?
(a) The hop of an injured climber.
(b) A burgundy-colored, crunchy type of scree.
(c) A crevasse at the head of a mountain glacier.
(d) A natural amphitheatre.
13. What is the weather like when Simon begins to descend the mountain alone?
(a) Calm, silent, sunny, and warm.
(c) A complete whiteout.
(d) High winds with 20-below-zero wind chills.
14. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe hear in his head in addition to the voice?
(a) Pop song lyrics.
(b) Voices of dead people.
15. After reciting a soliloquy as a preoccupying game, Joe realizes what?
(a) That he hates Shakespeare.
(b) That he is desperately thirsty.
(c) That he's in a snow cave.
(d) That last night's storm is not over.
Short Answer Questions
1. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
2. How does Joe resolve to die?
3. What does Simon say he and Joe have changed by climbing the mountain?
4. When Richard returns to base camp, he informs Simon that Spinoza will arrive with the donkeys when?
5. When Joe falls into the crevasse, what is the first thing he does when he realizes he is alive?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)