|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When reaching the "floor" of the crevasse, Joe determines his depth to be...
(a) Below sea level.
(b) About 50 feet.
(c) About 100 feet.
(d) About 150 feet.
2. What method of movement does Joe first try when he is out of the crevasse?
3. How does Joe get through the moraines?
(a) Hopping and falling.
(c) Scooting on his left side.
4. After Bomb Alley, what is Joe's next objective?
(a) The riverbed.
(b) The lower lake.
(c) Base camp.
(d) The upper lake.
5. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
(a) He knows there is a way out.
(b) He sees some light at the bottom of the crevasse.
(c) He cannot bear another night on the ice bridge.
(d) Because that is in the worst-case-scenario climber's manual.
6. After reciting a soliloquy as a preoccupying game, Joe realizes what?
(a) That last night's storm is not over.
(b) That he hates Shakespeare.
(c) That he is desperately thirsty.
(d) That he's in a snow cave.
7. In Bomb Alley, Joe sees the footprints of Simon and Richard. What does he think this means?
(a) That they are following close behind.
(b) That they are embarrassed for having wet themselves.
(c) That they have left him.
(d) That they can't keep up.
8. What does Joe do when the voice tells him what to do?
(a) He obeys.
(b) He ignores it.
(c) He cries.
(d) He argues.
9. What name does Joe shout over and over in the crevasse?
10. After his first night in a snow cave since exiting the crevasse, Joe awakens, screaming from a nightmare about the crevasse, in which he was reciting what?
(a) His vow of revenge.
(b) A Shakespeare soliloquy.
(c) The climber's oath.
(d) A pop song.
11. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
(a) He calls him on the radio.
(b) He pulls the rope.
(c) He asks Richard.
(d) He taps their secret code on the ice wall.
12. When Joe finally musters the courage to look down, what does he see in disbelief?
(a) The Prussik knot he had dropped while hanging above the crevasse.
(b) A snow-covered floor.
(c) Another dead climber.
(d) The corpse of an ancient iceman.
13. Joe reaches an open void while abseiling deep into the crevasse, and he struggles to continue. He compares the sensation to which experience?
(a) Standing on a diving board and staring into the pool.
(b) Riding a bike for the first time.
(c) Standing in the doorway of a plane, wearing a parachute.
(d) The moment before saying "yes" in a marriage ceremony.
14. After coming to the conclusion that Joe is dead, Simon is determined to do what?
(a) To find Joe's body.
(b) To get off the mountain alive.
(c) To recover Joe's personal helmet-cam to see what happened.
(d) To come back with a helicopter.
15. What is the weather like when Simon begins to descend the mountain alone?
(a) High winds with 20-below-zero wind chills.
(b) Calm, silent, sunny, and warm.
(d) A complete whiteout.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Simon get extremely angry at during his last full day at base camp?
2. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe frequently do?
3. Gloria and Norma are gawping at Simon. Why?
4. After waking from his nightmare, what does Joe see?
5. After he falls into the crevasse, what does Joe see through the hole far above?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)