|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe get through the moraines?
(b) Scooting on his left side.
(c) Hopping and falling.
2. How does Simon view the climb after determining that Joe has died?
(c) One for the record books.
3. Joe reaches an open void while abseiling deep into the crevasse, and he struggles to continue. He compares the sensation to which experience?
(a) Standing in the doorway of a plane, wearing a parachute.
(b) The moment before saying "yes" in a marriage ceremony.
(c) Riding a bike for the first time.
(d) Standing on a diving board and staring into the pool.
4. What does Joe shout at the lake?
(b) "Four o'clock and all's well."
(c) "Help me!"
(d) "Don't be a fool. Two hours' light left."
5. While abseiling deeper into the crevasse, Joe is certain of two things. What are they?
(a) Simon is alive and will come back for him.
(b) Simon is gone and will not return.
(c) Simon is dead and will never be found.
(d) There is a way out of the crevasse and he will find it.
6. At seven o'clock on the eve of their departure from base camp, Simon and Richard hear a strange cry in the distance. What does Richard suggest it is?
(b) Joe's ghost.
(d) A dog.
7. After he falls into the crevasse, what does Joe see through the hole far above?
(b) Simon's body.
8. When Simon reaches base camp, what is the first thing he says to Richard?
(a) 'Joe's dead.'
(b) 'There was nothing I could do.'
(c) 'He fell.'
(d) 'You look terrible!'
9. What is the weather like when Simon begins to descend the mountain alone?
(a) Calm, silent, sunny, and warm.
(c) A complete whiteout.
(d) High winds with 20-below-zero wind chills.
10. What does Simon do with Joe's clothes?
(a) He puts them in a bag to give to Joe's parents.
(b) He gives them to Gloria and Norma.
(c) He burns them in the riverbed.
(d) He packs them with Joe's camera and diary.
11. What does Joe strap around his injured leg?
(a) His harness.
(b) The rope.
(c) His sleeping bag.
(d) His Karrimat.
12. What name does Joe shout over and over in the crevasse?
13. When Joe pulls on the rope in the crevasse, what happens?
(a) Simon yells.
(b) The rope comes taught from the weight of Simon's body.
(c) The rope slides freely into the crevasse.
(d) The rope breaks.
14. What does Simon assume the foul taste in his mouth is from?
(a) Altitude sickness.
(d) Pulmonary edema.
15. What is the 4-step pattern of movement that Joe perfects to get through the moraines?
Short Answer Questions
1. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe hear in his head in addition to the voice?
2. The human figures Joe sees in the broken ice of a cliff are in "bas-relief". What does this mean?
3. What does Simon believe causes the loss of Joe?
4. After his first night in a snow cave since exiting the crevasse, Joe awakens, screaming from a nightmare about the crevasse, in which he was reciting what?
5. When he finds a way out, what does Joe say he has that he didn't have before?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)