|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fifth step does Joe add to his pattern of movement through the moraines?
(a) Looking at his watch.
(c) Swinging his ax at the rocks to vent stress.
2. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe frequently do?
(a) He stands up to check the progress of his route.
(b) He digs bucket seats.
(c) He vomits.
(d) He bleats out obscenities.
3. What does Joe not want to lose sight of on the glacier?
(a) Simon's tracks.
(b) The lake.
(c) Base camp.
(d) The North Star.
4. To what does Joe compare the figures in the ice?
(a) A Renaissance painting in the Sistine Chapel.
(b) Carvings inside a Hindu Temple.
(c) Answers #1, #2, and #3.
(d) Paintings by Titian of grossly fat nudes.
5. After coming to the conclusion that Joe is dead, Simon is determined to do what?
(a) To recover Joe's personal helmet-cam to see what happened.
(b) To get off the mountain alive.
(c) To come back with a helicopter.
(d) To find Joe's body.
6. How does Simon view the climb after determining that Joe has died?
(b) One for the record books.
7. What does Joe strap around his injured leg?
(a) His sleeping bag.
(b) The rope.
(c) His harness.
(d) His Karrimat.
8. Why does Joe turn off his head torch?
(a) He can't stand the looks of his injury.
(b) So he can see out better.
(c) To save the batteries.
(d) So he can go to sleep.
9. Joe reaches an open void while abseiling deep into the crevasse, and he struggles to continue. He compares the sensation to which experience?
(a) Standing in the doorway of a plane, wearing a parachute.
(b) Riding a bike for the first time.
(c) The moment before saying "yes" in a marriage ceremony.
(d) Standing on a diving board and staring into the pool.
10. After seeing that the rope had been cut, Joe falls asleep. What wakes him?
(a) A nightmare of falling.
(b) The sounds of the glacier.
(c) The cold.
(d) Someone shouting.
11. What does Simon say he and Joe have changed by climbing the mountain?
(b) The mountain face.
(c) The record books.
12. What does Simon believe causes the loss of Joe?
(a) The fact that they were on the wrong side of the mountain.
(b) The very means by which they tried to rescue themselves.
(c) His stupidity.
(d) The weather.
13. What becomes Joe's obsession in the moraines?
(d) The smell of urine.
14. After his first night in a snow cave since exiting the crevasse, Joe awakens, screaming from a nightmare about the crevasse, in which he was reciting what?
(a) His vow of revenge.
(b) A pop song.
(c) A Shakespeare soliloquy.
(d) The climber's oath.
15. When he finds a way out, what does Joe say he has that he didn't have before?
(a) A plan.
(b) The will to live.
(c) An escape route.
(d) Feeling in his fingers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Simon get extremely angry at during his last full day at base camp?
2. Simon recalls that he wanted to see Bolivia before returning to London. What country does Joe want to see?
3. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
4. When sorting through Joe's possessions, what does Simon salvage?
5. When Joe falls into the crevasse, what is the first thing he does when he realizes he is alive?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)