|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe do when the voice tells him what to do?
(a) He cries.
(b) He obeys.
(c) He argues.
(d) He ignores it.
2. After waking from his nightmare, what does Joe see?
(a) Sunlight reflecting off of his crampons.
(b) A way out.
(c) His breath against the snow roof.
3. After he emerges from the crevasse, what obstacle next lies in his path?
(a) The lake.
(b) Bomb Alley.
(c) Another crevasse.
(d) The glacier.
4. When Joe falls into the crevasse, what is the first thing he does when he realizes he is alive?
(a) He pulls on the rope.
(b) He looks for his head torch.
(c) He yells for Simon.
(d) He laughs.
5. What does Joe strap around his injured leg?
(a) His sleeping bag.
(b) The rope.
(c) His Karrimat.
(d) His harness.
6. When Joe pulls on the rope in the crevasse, what happens?
(a) Simon yells.
(b) The rope comes taught from the weight of Simon's body.
(c) The rope slides freely into the crevasse.
(d) The rope breaks.
7. After his first night in a snow cave since exiting the crevasse, Joe awakens, screaming from a nightmare about the crevasse, in which he was reciting what?
(a) A pop song.
(b) A Shakespeare soliloquy.
(c) His vow of revenge.
(d) The climber's oath.
8. When reaching the "floor" of the crevasse, Joe determines his depth to be...
(a) About 100 feet.
(b) Below sea level.
(c) About 150 feet.
(d) About 50 feet.
9. How does Joe get through the moraines?
(a) Scooting on his left side.
(c) Hopping and falling.
10. When Joe looks at the frayed end of the cut rope, what colors are the nylon filaments?
(a) Red and blue.
(b) Purple and yellow.
(c) Green and brown.
(d) White and pink.
11. Who narrates the chapter "Silent Witness"?
(b) The editor.
12. What does Simon believe causes the loss of Joe?
(a) His stupidity.
(b) The very means by which they tried to rescue themselves.
(c) The fact that they were on the wrong side of the mountain.
(d) The weather.
13. What is the first thing Richard gives to Simon?
(a) The medicine bag.
14. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe frequently do?
(a) He vomits.
(b) He stands up to check the progress of his route.
(c) He bleats out obscenities.
(d) He digs bucket seats.
15. After he falls into the crevasse, what does Joe see through the hole far above?
(a) Simon's body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe see that makes him certain that he is going to get out of the crevasse?
2. When Joe finally musters the courage to look down, what does he see in disbelief?
3. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
4. After reciting a soliloquy as a preoccupying game, Joe realizes what?
5. When Joe encounters Simon's footprints, he describes them as sinuous. What does this mean?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)