|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Richard and Simon spend a considerable amount of time searching for, but never find?
(a) Simon's passport.
(b) The map.
(c) Simon's money.
(d) Joe's money.
2. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe hear in his head in addition to the voice?
(a) Pop song lyrics.
(c) Voices of dead people.
3. What becomes Joe's obsession in the moraines?
(d) The smell of urine.
4. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe frequently do?
(a) He vomits.
(b) He digs bucket seats.
(c) He stands up to check the progress of his route.
(d) He bleats out obscenities.
5. Who does Richard go to see about getting donkeys for transporting their gear?
6. Besides the commands of the voice, what does Joe rely on to keep him going?
(a) His watch.
(b) The glacier.
(d) The heat.
7. Gloria and Norma are gawping at Simon. Why?
(a) They think Simon murdered Joe.
(b) They want to know what Simon and Richard are going to give them.
(c) They feel sorry for Simon.
(d) They can't believe what they are seeing.
8. After reciting a soliloquy as a preoccupying game, Joe realizes what?
(a) That he's in a snow cave.
(b) That last night's storm is not over.
(c) That he hates Shakespeare.
(d) That he is desperately thirsty.
9. What method of movement does Joe first try when he is out of the crevasse?
10. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
(a) Because that is in the worst-case-scenario climber's manual.
(b) He sees some light at the bottom of the crevasse.
(c) He cannot bear another night on the ice bridge.
(d) He knows there is a way out.
11. When reaching the "floor" of the crevasse, Joe determines his depth to be...
(a) About 50 feet.
(b) About 150 feet.
(c) About 100 feet.
(d) Below sea level.
12. What fifth step does Joe add to his pattern of movement through the moraines?
(a) Swinging his ax at the rocks to vent stress.
(d) Looking at his watch.
13. When Joe pulls on the rope in the crevasse, what happens?
(a) The rope slides freely into the crevasse.
(b) The rope comes taught from the weight of Simon's body.
(c) Simon yells.
(d) The rope breaks.
14. Upon clearing the crevasses and reaching the moraines, what does Joe realize?
(a) That the lakes are frozen.
(b) That he is snow-blind.
(c) That he's going the wrong direction.
(d) That Simon and Richard have left base camp.
15. Who narrates the chapter "Silent Witness"?
(b) The editor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe turn off his head torch?
2. What are the bas-relief figures doing?
3. What is the first thing Richard gives to Simon?
4. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
5. What is the weather like when Simon begins to descend the mountain alone?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)