|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Simon get extremely angry at during his last full day at base camp?
(c) Gloria and Norma.
(d) The voice.
2. Who narrates the chapter "Silent Witness"?
(b) The editor.
3. How does Joe resolve to die?
(a) In his sleep.
(b) Slowly and painlessly by hypothermia.
(c) Suddenly, unexpectedly, and in the course of finding a way out.
(d) By jumping into the void.
4. While abseiling deeper into the crevasse, Joe is certain of two things. What are they?
(a) Simon is dead and will never be found.
(b) Simon is gone and will not return.
(c) Simon is alive and will come back for him.
(d) There is a way out of the crevasse and he will find it.
5. Besides the commands of the voice, what does Joe rely on to keep him going?
(a) The glacier.
(c) His watch.
(d) The heat.
6. Simon feels as if the whole struggle up until he cuts the rope is the deliberate scheme of whom?
(a) The Peruvians.
(c) A bored and evil force.
7. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
(a) He pulls the rope.
(b) He taps their secret code on the ice wall.
(c) He asks Richard.
(d) He calls him on the radio.
8. The morning after Simon cut the rope, he descends down the mountain. What does Simon believe to be Joe's fate?
(a) He has fallen into a crevasse.
(b) He has died.
(c) He has gone insane.
(d) He is alive.
9. When Joe looks at the frayed end of the cut rope, what colors are the nylon filaments?
(a) Green and brown.
(b) White and pink.
(c) Purple and yellow.
(d) Red and blue.
10. Simon recalls that he wanted to see Bolivia before returning to London. What country does Joe want to see?
11. After his first night in a snow cave since exiting the crevasse, Joe awakens, screaming from a nightmare about the crevasse, in which he was reciting what?
(a) A Shakespeare soliloquy.
(b) The climber's oath.
(c) A pop song.
(d) His vow of revenge.
12. After 12 hours in the crevasse, Joe finally escapes. Although briefly mentioned in the chapter "In the Far Distance", a new character is now officially introduced. Who is it?
(a) The voice.
(d) The soaring condor.
13. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
(a) Snow-covered rock.
(b) The fragile ceiling of a lower cavern.
(c) Not really snow at all.
(d) A dead end.
14. How far into the crevasse does Joe guess he has fallen?
(a) About 100 feet.
(b) About 50 stories.
(c) About 50 feet.
(d) All the way.
15. When Joe finally reaches Bomb Alley, he immediately finds a trickle of water. How long has he gone without food or water?
(a) One whole day.
(b) Three days.
(c) Eight days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Richard gives to Simon?
2. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
3. What is the 4-step pattern of movement that Joe perfects to get through the moraines?
4. Who does Richard go to see about getting donkeys for transporting their gear?
5. When Simon reaches base camp, what is the first thing he says to Richard?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)