|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At seven o'clock on the eve of their departure from base camp, Simon and Richard hear a strange cry in the distance. What does Richard suggest it is?
(b) A dog.
(d) Joe's ghost.
2. How does Joe get through the moraines?
(a) Hopping and falling.
(b) Scooting on his left side.
3. When Joe finally reaches Bomb Alley, he immediately finds a trickle of water. How long has he gone without food or water?
(a) One whole day.
(c) Three days.
(d) Eight days.
4. When reaching the "floor" of the crevasse, Joe determines his depth to be...
(a) Below sea level.
(b) About 150 feet.
(c) About 50 feet.
(d) About 100 feet.
5. Why does Joe turn off his head torch?
(a) He can't stand the looks of his injury.
(b) So he can see out better.
(c) So he can go to sleep.
(d) To save the batteries.
6. After the moraines, what is Joe's next destination goal?
(a) Base camp.
(b) The lake.
(c) Bomb Alley.
7. After Bomb Alley, what is Joe's next objective?
(a) The upper lake.
(b) The lower lake.
(c) The riverbed.
(d) Base camp.
8. What does Simon believe causes the loss of Joe?
(a) The weather.
(b) His stupidity.
(c) The very means by which they tried to rescue themselves.
(d) The fact that they were on the wrong side of the mountain.
9. The morning after Simon cut the rope, he descends down the mountain. What does Simon believe to be Joe's fate?
(a) He has gone insane.
(b) He has died.
(c) He is alive.
(d) He has fallen into a crevasse.
10. What is the weather like when Simon begins to descend the mountain alone?
(a) Calm, silent, sunny, and warm.
(c) A complete whiteout.
(d) High winds with 20-below-zero wind chills.
11. After seeing that the rope had been cut, Joe falls asleep. What wakes him?
(a) A nightmare of falling.
(b) Someone shouting.
(c) The cold.
(d) The sounds of the glacier.
12. When Richard returns to base camp, he informs Simon that Spinoza will arrive with the donkeys when?
(a) Within the week.
(b) Within two hours.
(c) At six o'clock tomorrow morning.
(d) After the girls are done making their cheese.
13. After coming to the conclusion that Joe is dead, Simon is determined to do what?
(a) To find Joe's body.
(b) To get off the mountain alive.
(c) To recover Joe's personal helmet-cam to see what happened.
(d) To come back with a helicopter.
14. What does Simon say the mountain has taken?
(b) His dignity.
(c) His achievement.
15. To what does Joe compare the figures in the ice?
(a) A Renaissance painting in the Sistine Chapel.
(b) Carvings inside a Hindu Temple.
(c) Paintings by Titian of grossly fat nudes.
(d) Answers #1, #2, and #3.
Short Answer Questions
1. After waking from his nightmare, what does Joe see?
2. What does Joe land on when he falls into the crevasse?
3. Simon feels as if the whole struggle up until he cuts the rope is the deliberate scheme of whom?
4. What does Joe not want to lose sight of on the glacier?
5. What are the bas-relief figures doing?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)