|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Richard gives to Simon?
(a) The medicine bag.
2. Simon feels as if the whole struggle up until he cuts the rope is the deliberate scheme of whom?
(a) A bored and evil force.
(b) The Peruvians.
3. When Joe falls into the crevasse, what is the first thing he does when he realizes he is alive?
(a) He pulls on the rope.
(b) He looks for his head torch.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He yells for Simon.
4. After 12 hours in the crevasse, Joe finally escapes. Although briefly mentioned in the chapter "In the Far Distance", a new character is now officially introduced. Who is it?
(a) The voice.
(d) The soaring condor.
5. The morning after Simon cut the rope, he descends down the mountain. What does Simon believe to be Joe's fate?
(a) He has fallen into a crevasse.
(b) He is alive.
(c) He has died.
(d) He has gone insane.
6. In the opening scene of the chapter "Shadows in the Ice", Joe is convinced that he and his partner are going to die. What does Joe hope?
(a) That he hits the water at the bottom of the crevasse.
(b) That Simon has a quick death.
(c) That he remembered to give his parents' phone number to Richard.
(d) That someone will know they made it to the summit of Siula Grande by the West Face.
7. What is the weather like when Simon begins to descend the mountain alone?
(b) A complete whiteout.
(c) Calm, silent, sunny, and warm.
(d) High winds with 20-below-zero wind chills.
8. How does Joe resolve to die?
(a) Suddenly, unexpectedly, and in the course of finding a way out.
(b) In his sleep.
(c) By jumping into the void.
(d) Slowly and painlessly by hypothermia.
9. After seeing that the rope had been cut, Joe falls asleep. What wakes him?
(a) The cold.
(b) The sounds of the glacier.
(c) Someone shouting.
(d) A nightmare of falling.
10. How does Joe get through the moraines?
(a) Scooting on his left side.
(b) Hopping and falling.
11. What does Simon do with Joe's clothes?
(a) He packs them with Joe's camera and diary.
(b) He burns them in the riverbed.
(c) He puts them in a bag to give to Joe's parents.
(d) He gives them to Gloria and Norma.
12. When Joe finally musters the courage to look down, what does he see in disbelief?
(a) The Prussik knot he had dropped while hanging above the crevasse.
(b) The corpse of an ancient iceman.
(c) Another dead climber.
(d) A snow-covered floor.
13. Gloria and Norma are gawping at Simon. Why?
(a) They can't believe what they are seeing.
(b) They think Simon murdered Joe.
(c) They feel sorry for Simon.
(d) They want to know what Simon and Richard are going to give them.
14. Simon recalls that he wanted to see Bolivia before returning to London. What country does Joe want to see?
15. What does Joe see that makes him certain that he is going to get out of the crevasse?
(a) A note from Simon.
(b) Signs of life.
(c) A breeze.
(d) A beam of sunlight.
Short Answer Questions
1. When sorting through Joe's possessions, what does Simon salvage?
2. After his first night in a snow cave since exiting the crevasse, Joe awakens, screaming from a nightmare about the crevasse, in which he was reciting what?
3. Who does Simon get extremely angry at during his last full day at base camp?
4. When Richard returns to base camp, he informs Simon that Spinoza will arrive with the donkeys when?
5. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)