|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Simon reaches base camp, what is the first thing he says to Richard?
(a) 'He fell.'
(b) 'You look terrible!'
(c) 'There was nothing I could do.'
(d) 'Joe's dead.'
2. Who does Simon get extremely angry at during his last full day at base camp?
(c) Gloria and Norma.
(d) The voice.
3. After Bomb Alley, what is Joe's next objective?
(a) Base camp.
(b) The lower lake.
(c) The riverbed.
(d) The upper lake.
4. When reaching the "floor" of the crevasse, Joe determines his depth to be...
(a) About 50 feet.
(b) About 100 feet.
(c) About 150 feet.
(d) Below sea level.
5. How does Simon view the climb after determining that Joe has died?
(b) One for the record books.
6. What does Simon do with Joe's clothes?
(a) He puts them in a bag to give to Joe's parents.
(b) He gives them to Gloria and Norma.
(c) He packs them with Joe's camera and diary.
(d) He burns them in the riverbed.
7. What are the bas-relief figures doing?
(a) Pointing toward God.
8. When Joe finally musters the courage to look down, what does he see in disbelief?
(a) The Prussik knot he had dropped while hanging above the crevasse.
(b) Another dead climber.
(c) The corpse of an ancient iceman.
(d) A snow-covered floor.
9. How does Joe get through the moraines?
(a) Hopping and falling.
(d) Scooting on his left side.
10. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe frequently do?
(a) He vomits.
(b) He bleats out obscenities.
(c) He stands up to check the progress of his route.
(d) He digs bucket seats.
11. What does Joe not want to lose sight of on the glacier?
(a) Base camp.
(b) The North Star.
(c) Simon's tracks.
(d) The lake.
12. What name does Joe shout over and over in the crevasse?
13. While abseiling deeper into the crevasse, Joe is certain of two things. What are they?
(a) Simon is alive and will come back for him.
(b) There is a way out of the crevasse and he will find it.
(c) Simon is dead and will never be found.
(d) Simon is gone and will not return.
14. Why does Joe turn off his head torch?
(a) So he can go to sleep.
(b) So he can see out better.
(c) He can't stand the looks of his injury.
(d) To save the batteries.
15. What fifth step does Joe add to his pattern of movement through the moraines?
(b) Looking at his watch.
(d) Swinging his ax at the rocks to vent stress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes Joe's obsession in the moraines?
2. What is a bergschrund?
3. Gloria and Norma are gawping at Simon. Why?
4. When Joe looks at the frayed end of the cut rope, what colors are the nylon filaments?
5. When Richard returns to base camp, he informs Simon that Spinoza will arrive with the donkeys when?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)