Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Simon believe causes the loss of Joe?
(a) His stupidity.
(b) The weather.
(c) The very means by which they tried to rescue themselves.
(d) The fact that they were on the wrong side of the mountain.
2. After he falls into the crevasse, what does Joe see through the hole far above?
(d) Simon's body.
3. What becomes Joe's obsession in the moraines?
(a) The smell of urine.
4. Simon feels as if the whole struggle up until he cuts the rope is the deliberate scheme of whom?
(a) A bored and evil force.
(d) The Peruvians.
5. Upon clearing the crevasses and reaching the moraines, what does Joe realize?
(a) That he's going the wrong direction.
(b) That Simon and Richard have left base camp.
(c) That the lakes are frozen.
(d) That he is snow-blind.
6. After waking from his nightmare, what does Joe see?
(a) A way out.
(c) His breath against the snow roof.
(d) Sunlight reflecting off of his crampons.
7. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
(a) A dead end.
(b) Snow-covered rock.
(c) The fragile ceiling of a lower cavern.
(d) Not really snow at all.
8. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
(a) He calls him on the radio.
(b) He asks Richard.
(c) He pulls the rope.
(d) He taps their secret code on the ice wall.
9. While abseiling deeper into the crevasse, Joe is certain of two things. What are they?
(a) Simon is alive and will come back for him.
(b) Simon is gone and will not return.
(c) There is a way out of the crevasse and he will find it.
(d) Simon is dead and will never be found.
10. As he lowers himself deeper into the crevasse, what does Joe stare at?
(a) The opening.
(b) The ice screw.
(c) The blackness.
(d) His feet.
11. What fifth step does Joe add to his pattern of movement through the moraines?
(b) Looking at his watch.
(c) Swinging his ax at the rocks to vent stress.
12. What does Joe lack the courage to do?
(a) Move his leg.
(b) Climb out.
(c) Commit suicide.
13. How does Simon view the climb after determining that Joe has died?
(c) One for the record books.
14. After 12 hours in the crevasse, Joe finally escapes. Although briefly mentioned in the chapter "In the Far Distance", a new character is now officially introduced. Who is it?
(a) The soaring condor.
(b) The voice.
15. What name does Joe shout over and over in the crevasse?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joe get through the moraines?
2. What does Joe do when the voice tells him what to do?
3. What is the 4-step pattern of movement that Joe perfects to get through the moraines?
4. At seven o'clock on the eve of their departure from base camp, Simon and Richard hear a strange cry in the distance. What does Richard suggest it is?
5. What does Simon do with Joe's clothes?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)