|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Simon recalls that he wanted to see Bolivia before returning to London. What country does Joe want to see?
2. What is the first thing Richard gives to Simon?
(b) The medicine bag.
3. How far into the crevasse does Joe guess he has fallen?
(a) About 50 feet.
(b) About 100 feet.
(c) About 50 stories.
(d) All the way.
4. When he finds a way out, what does Joe say he has that he didn't have before?
(a) A plan.
(b) Feeling in his fingers.
(c) The will to live.
(d) An escape route.
5. When Simon reaches base camp, what is the first thing he says to Richard?
(a) 'There was nothing I could do.'
(b) 'You look terrible!'
(c) 'He fell.'
(d) 'Joe's dead.'
6. When Joe pulls on the rope in the crevasse, what happens?
(a) The rope comes taught from the weight of Simon's body.
(b) The rope breaks.
(c) The rope slides freely into the crevasse.
(d) Simon yells.
7. Upon clearing the crevasses and reaching the moraines, what does Joe realize?
(a) That Simon and Richard have left base camp.
(b) That he's going the wrong direction.
(c) That the lakes are frozen.
(d) That he is snow-blind.
8. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
(a) He pulls the rope.
(b) He calls him on the radio.
(c) He taps their secret code on the ice wall.
(d) He asks Richard.
9. What does Joe land on when he falls into the crevasse?
(a) An ice bridge.
(b) A cornice.
(c) A snow hole.
(d) The bottom of the crevasse.
10. In the opening scene of the chapter "Shadows in the Ice", Joe is convinced that he and his partner are going to die. What does Joe hope?
(a) That he remembered to give his parents' phone number to Richard.
(b) That he hits the water at the bottom of the crevasse.
(c) That Simon has a quick death.
(d) That someone will know they made it to the summit of Siula Grande by the West Face.
11. When Joe finally reaches Bomb Alley, he immediately finds a trickle of water. How long has he gone without food or water?
(a) Three days.
(c) One whole day.
(d) Eight days.
12. How does Joe resolve to die?
(a) In his sleep.
(b) Suddenly, unexpectedly, and in the course of finding a way out.
(c) Slowly and painlessly by hypothermia.
(d) By jumping into the void.
13. What does Simon say the mountain has taken?
(a) His achievement.
(d) His dignity.
14. After reciting a soliloquy as a preoccupying game, Joe realizes what?
(a) That he is desperately thirsty.
(b) That last night's storm is not over.
(c) That he's in a snow cave.
(d) That he hates Shakespeare.
15. After waking from his nightmare, what does Joe see?
(a) Sunlight reflecting off of his crampons.
(b) His breath against the snow roof.
(c) A way out.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he lowers himself deeper into the crevasse, what does Joe stare at?
2. How does Joe describe the shape of the crevasse chamber where he has been?
3. When Joe looks at the frayed end of the cut rope, what colors are the nylon filaments?
4. When reaching the "floor" of the crevasse, Joe determines his depth to be...
5. Who narrates the chapter "Silent Witness"?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)