|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fifth step does Joe add to his pattern of movement through the moraines?
(c) Looking at his watch.
(d) Swinging his ax at the rocks to vent stress.
2. What does Joe lack the courage to do?
(a) Move his leg.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Climb out.
3. How does Simon view the climb after determining that Joe has died?
(a) One for the record books.
4. Besides the commands of the voice, what does Joe rely on to keep him going?
(b) His watch.
(c) The glacier.
(d) The heat.
5. Who narrates the chapter "Silent Witness"?
(d) The editor.
6. What does Joe land on when he falls into the crevasse?
(a) The bottom of the crevasse.
(b) An ice bridge.
(c) A cornice.
(d) A snow hole.
7. When reaching the "floor" of the crevasse, Joe determines his depth to be...
(a) About 150 feet.
(b) Below sea level.
(c) About 100 feet.
(d) About 50 feet.
8. When Joe looks at the frayed end of the cut rope, what colors are the nylon filaments?
(a) Red and blue.
(b) White and pink.
(c) Green and brown.
(d) Purple and yellow.
9. After reciting a soliloquy as a preoccupying game, Joe realizes what?
(a) That last night's storm is not over.
(b) That he hates Shakespeare.
(c) That he is desperately thirsty.
(d) That he's in a snow cave.
10. What is the 4-step pattern of movement that Joe perfects to get through the moraines?
11. How does Joe describe the shape of the crevasse chamber where he has been?
(a) A figure-8.
12. After 12 hours in the crevasse, Joe finally escapes. Although briefly mentioned in the chapter "In the Far Distance", a new character is now officially introduced. Who is it?
(c) The soaring condor.
(d) The voice.
13. When Simon reaches base camp, what is the first thing he says to Richard?
(a) 'There was nothing I could do.'
(b) 'Joe's dead.'
(c) 'He fell.'
(d) 'You look terrible!'
14. How far into the crevasse does Joe guess he has fallen?
(a) About 50 stories.
(b) About 50 feet.
(c) About 100 feet.
(d) All the way.
15. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
(a) He calls him on the radio.
(b) He pulls the rope.
(c) He taps their secret code on the ice wall.
(d) He asks Richard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Simon dread talking to upon his return to civilization?
2. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
3. The human figures Joe sees in the broken ice of a cliff are in "bas-relief". What does this mean?
4. What does Simon say he and Joe have changed by climbing the mountain?
5. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe frequently do?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)