|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joe turn off his head torch?
(a) He can't stand the looks of his injury.
(b) To save the batteries.
(c) So he can see out better.
(d) So he can go to sleep.
2. Who does Simon get extremely angry at during his last full day at base camp?
(a) Gloria and Norma.
(b) The voice.
3. After his first night in a snow cave since exiting the crevasse, Joe awakens, screaming from a nightmare about the crevasse, in which he was reciting what?
(a) His vow of revenge.
(b) A Shakespeare soliloquy.
(c) A pop song.
(d) The climber's oath.
4. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
(a) He taps their secret code on the ice wall.
(b) He asks Richard.
(c) He pulls the rope.
(d) He calls him on the radio.
5. When Joe finally reaches Bomb Alley, he immediately finds a trickle of water. How long has he gone without food or water?
(b) One whole day.
(c) Three days.
(d) Eight days.
6. When Joe falls into the crevasse, what is the first thing he does when he realizes he is alive?
(a) He pulls on the rope.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He looks for his head torch.
(d) He yells for Simon.
7. After he emerges from the crevasse, what obstacle next lies in his path?
(a) Another crevasse.
(b) The glacier.
(c) The lake.
(d) Bomb Alley.
8. How does Simon view the climb after determining that Joe has died?
(b) One for the record books.
9. How far into the crevasse does Joe guess he has fallen?
(a) About 100 feet.
(b) About 50 stories.
(c) About 50 feet.
(d) All the way.
10. Gloria and Norma are gawping at Simon. Why?
(a) They think Simon murdered Joe.
(b) They feel sorry for Simon.
(c) They can't believe what they are seeing.
(d) They want to know what Simon and Richard are going to give them.
11. When Joe encounters Simon's footprints, he describes them as sinuous. What does this mean?
(b) As if he had been running.
(c) Equally spaced.
12. How does Joe resolve to die?
(a) By jumping into the void.
(b) In his sleep.
(c) Slowly and painlessly by hypothermia.
(d) Suddenly, unexpectedly, and in the course of finding a way out.
13. When Joe finally musters the courage to look down, what does he see in disbelief?
(a) The Prussik knot he had dropped while hanging above the crevasse.
(b) A snow-covered floor.
(c) Another dead climber.
(d) The corpse of an ancient iceman.
14. What does Simon say he and Joe have changed by climbing the mountain?
(c) The mountain face.
(d) The record books.
15. In Bomb Alley, Joe sees the footprints of Simon and Richard. What does he think this means?
(a) That they are following close behind.
(b) That they have left him.
(c) That they are embarrassed for having wet themselves.
(d) That they can't keep up.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joe pulls on the rope in the crevasse, what happens?
2. After reciting a soliloquy as a preoccupying game, Joe realizes what?
3. After the moraines, what is Joe's next destination goal?
4. What fifth step does Joe add to his pattern of movement through the moraines?
5. After 12 hours in the crevasse, Joe finally escapes. Although briefly mentioned in the chapter "In the Far Distance", a new character is now officially introduced. Who is it?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)