|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Bomb Alley, Joe sees the footprints of Simon and Richard. What does he think this means?
(a) That they are embarrassed for having wet themselves.
(b) That they are following close behind.
(c) That they can't keep up.
(d) That they have left him.
2. While abseiling deeper into the crevasse, Joe is certain of two things. What are they?
(a) There is a way out of the crevasse and he will find it.
(b) Simon is dead and will never be found.
(c) Simon is gone and will not return.
(d) Simon is alive and will come back for him.
3. While crawling through the crevasse section of the glacier, what does Joe hear in his head in addition to the voice?
(a) Pop song lyrics.
(c) Voices of dead people.
4. The morning after Simon cut the rope, he descends down the mountain. What does Simon believe to be Joe's fate?
(a) He is alive.
(b) He has died.
(c) He has fallen into a crevasse.
(d) He has gone insane.
5. Who does Simon dread talking to upon his return to civilization?
(a) Spinoza and Richard.
(b) The police and Customs officials.
(c) Joe's parents and Joe's wife.
(d) The police and Joe's parents.
6. How does Joe get through the moraines?
(a) Scooting on his left side.
(b) Hopping and falling.
7. How does Joe describe the shape of the crevasse chamber where he has been?
(d) A figure-8.
8. What does Joe not want to lose sight of on the glacier?
(a) The lake.
(b) The North Star.
(c) Simon's tracks.
(d) Base camp.
9. Joe reaches an open void while abseiling deep into the crevasse, and he struggles to continue. He compares the sensation to which experience?
(a) Riding a bike for the first time.
(b) Standing on a diving board and staring into the pool.
(c) The moment before saying "yes" in a marriage ceremony.
(d) Standing in the doorway of a plane, wearing a parachute.
10. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
(a) The fragile ceiling of a lower cavern.
(b) Snow-covered rock.
(c) Not really snow at all.
(d) A dead end.
11. What does Simon believe causes the loss of Joe?
(a) The fact that they were on the wrong side of the mountain.
(b) The weather.
(c) The very means by which they tried to rescue themselves.
(d) His stupidity.
12. Who narrates the chapter "Silent Witness"?
(a) The editor.
13. When Joe looks at the frayed end of the cut rope, what colors are the nylon filaments?
(a) Green and brown.
(b) Purple and yellow.
(c) White and pink.
(d) Red and blue.
14. Besides the commands of the voice, what does Joe rely on to keep him going?
(a) The glacier.
(b) The heat.
(c) His watch.
15. What are the bas-relief figures doing?
(a) Pointing toward God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Simon get extremely angry at during his last full day at base camp?
2. What does Simon do with Joe's clothes?
3. What does Joe do to find out if Simon has fallen to his death?
4. After he falls into the crevasse, what does Joe see through the hole far above?
5. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)