|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe see that makes him certain that he is going to get out of the crevasse?
(a) A breeze.
(b) A note from Simon.
(c) A beam of sunlight.
(d) Signs of life.
2. What does Simon say he and Joe have changed by climbing the mountain?
(b) The record books.
(c) The mountain face.
3. When he finds a way out, what does Joe say he has that he didn't have before?
(a) A plan.
(b) An escape route.
(c) The will to live.
(d) Feeling in his fingers.
4. When Richard returns to base camp, he informs Simon that Spinoza will arrive with the donkeys when?
(a) Within the week.
(b) At six o'clock tomorrow morning.
(c) Within two hours.
(d) After the girls are done making their cheese.
5. What does Simon do with Joe's clothes?
(a) He puts them in a bag to give to Joe's parents.
(b) He gives them to Gloria and Norma.
(c) He burns them in the riverbed.
(d) He packs them with Joe's camera and diary.
6. What does Joe land on when he falls into the crevasse?
(a) A snow hole.
(b) A cornice.
(c) An ice bridge.
(d) The bottom of the crevasse.
7. Upon clearing the crevasses and reaching the moraines, what does Joe realize?
(a) That the lakes are frozen.
(b) That he's going the wrong direction.
(c) That he is snow-blind.
(d) That Simon and Richard have left base camp.
8. What are the bas-relief figures doing?
(a) Pointing toward God.
9. When Simon reaches base camp, what is the first thing he says to Richard?
(a) 'You look terrible!'
(b) 'Joe's dead.'
(c) 'There was nothing I could do.'
(d) 'He fell.'
10. At seven o'clock on the eve of their departure from base camp, Simon and Richard hear a strange cry in the distance. What does Richard suggest it is?
(b) A dog.
(c) Joe's ghost.
11. What does Simon assume the foul taste in his mouth is from?
(a) Altitude sickness.
(b) Pulmonary edema.
12. Who narrates the chapter "Silent Witness"?
(c) The editor.
13. How does Simon view the climb after determining that Joe has died?
(d) One for the record books.
14. How does Joe resolve to die?
(a) Suddenly, unexpectedly, and in the course of finding a way out.
(b) In his sleep.
(c) Slowly and painlessly by hypothermia.
(d) By jumping into the void.
15. When sorting through Joe's possessions, what does Simon salvage?
(a) Miri Smidt's diary.
(b) Joe's hat from Czechoslovakia.
(c) Joe's clothes.
(d) A bag from Chamonix.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joe finally reaches Bomb Alley, he immediately finds a trickle of water. How long has he gone without food or water?
2. After seeing that the rope had been cut, Joe falls asleep. What wakes him?
3. What does Joe do when the voice tells him what to do?
4. What becomes Joe's obsession in the moraines?
5. When Joe looks at the frayed end of the cut rope, what colors are the nylon filaments?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)