|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fifth step does Joe add to his pattern of movement through the moraines?
(a) Looking at his watch.
(c) Swinging his ax at the rocks to vent stress.
2. At seven o'clock on the eve of their departure from base camp, Simon and Richard hear a strange cry in the distance. What does Richard suggest it is?
(b) Joe's ghost.
(d) A dog.
3. After his first night in a snow cave since exiting the crevasse, Joe awakens, screaming from a nightmare about the crevasse, in which he was reciting what?
(a) His vow of revenge.
(b) A pop song.
(c) A Shakespeare soliloquy.
(d) The climber's oath.
4. What does Joe not want to lose sight of on the glacier?
(a) The North Star.
(b) The lake.
(c) Simon's tracks.
(d) Base camp.
5. What name does Joe shout over and over in the crevasse?
6. Why does Joe decide to descend deeper into the crevasse?
(a) He sees some light at the bottom of the crevasse.
(b) He cannot bear another night on the ice bridge.
(c) Because that is in the worst-case-scenario climber's manual.
(d) He knows there is a way out.
7. After close inspection, what does Joe determine the "floor" of the crevasse to be?
(a) Snow-covered rock.
(b) A dead end.
(c) Not really snow at all.
(d) The fragile ceiling of a lower cavern.
8. What does Joe strap around his injured leg?
(a) His Karrimat.
(b) The rope.
(c) His harness.
(d) His sleeping bag.
9. After coming to the conclusion that Joe is dead, Simon is determined to do what?
(a) To come back with a helicopter.
(b) To recover Joe's personal helmet-cam to see what happened.
(c) To find Joe's body.
(d) To get off the mountain alive.
10. When Joe encounters Simon's footprints, he describes them as sinuous. What does this mean?
(a) As if he had been running.
(b) Equally spaced.
11. Who does Simon dread talking to upon his return to civilization?
(a) The police and Joe's parents.
(b) Spinoza and Richard.
(c) The police and Customs officials.
(d) Joe's parents and Joe's wife.
12. What does Simon assume the foul taste in his mouth is from?
(b) Pulmonary edema.
(c) Altitude sickness.
13. How does Simon view the climb after determining that Joe has died?
(c) One for the record books.
14. What are the bas-relief figures doing?
(b) Pointing toward God.
15. Why does Joe turn off his head torch?
(a) So he can see out better.
(b) So he can go to sleep.
(c) To save the batteries.
(d) He can't stand the looks of his injury.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe see that makes him certain that he is going to get out of the crevasse?
2. What does Joe land on when he falls into the crevasse?
3. What is the 4-step pattern of movement that Joe perfects to get through the moraines?
4. When Joe falls into the crevasse, what is the first thing he does when he realizes he is alive?
5. How does Joe resolve to die?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)