|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What collapses under Simon's feet?
(a) An ice bridge.
(b) A snow ridge.
(c) A crevice.
(d) The summit.
2. At the beginning of the chapter "On the Edge", on which side of Siula Grande are Joe and Simon descending?
(a) The East Face.
(b) The North Face.
(c) The South Face.
(d) The West Face.
3. After lowering Joe down, what is Simon's signal that Joe needs to take his weight off the rope?
(a) Three tugs on the rope.
(b) Giving slack to the rope.
(c) Three arm waves.
(d) Three flashes of his head torch.
4. When Joe sees Simon's frostbitten fingers, why does he feel anxious?
(a) He is worried that Simon won't be able to lower him down the mountain.
(b) He is worried about Simon's climbing future.
(c) He gets queasy about frostbite.
(d) He is worried about Simon's health.
5. What does Joe say about bivouac sites?
(a) They are convenient.
(b) He usually dislikes them.
(c) They are cold.
(d) They are hidden.
6. How many practice climbs do Joe and Simon complete in order to acclimatize?
7. What does Joe mean by a "tortured" cornice?
(a) Twisted and distorted.
(d) Pummeled by snow and wind.
8. At the end of "The Final Choice", how does Simon feel?
(a) Like he has broken his leg.
(c) Thirsty and lonely.
9. What are Joe Simpson and Ian Whittaker doing when the ground breaks out from underneath them?
(b) Getting ready to sleep.
(d) Digging a snow hole.
10. On their first night on Siula Grande, what do Joe and Simon sleep in?
(a) A pigsty.
(b) A tent.
(c) A man-made cave.
(d) A natural cave.
11. When Joe first looks at his knee after his fall, how does he describe it?
(a) As "kinked".
(b) As a "zigzag".
(c) As "bloody stuffed".
(d) As "cockeyed".
12. A hundredweight of icicles falls on Joe's head. How much is this?
(a) About 100 icicles.
(b) 100 grams.
(c) 100 pounds.
(d) 100 kilograms.
13. What object does Joe have trouble with in the beginning of the story?
(a) His tent.
(b) His rucksack.
(c) His crampons.
(d) The petrol stove.
14. What is a patina?
(a) A Peruvian flatbread that Gloria cooks for Richard.
(b) The ceiling of a snow cave.
(c) A thin layer that appears slowly over time.
(d) A type of mountaineering skate used to descend slopes.
15. Who is the narrator when italic print is used in the book?
(a) The editor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the opening scene, what is Richard's tent covered with?
2. How far does Simon lower Joe each time before he descends himself?
3. When thinking about being left on the mountain, Joe feels himself "teetering on the edge of..."
4. Who is the first character mentioned by the author?
5. What part of the body does a gaiter cover?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)