|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is blue ice?
(a) Glacial ice that is clear.
(b) Ice that is blue in color.
(c) Rock that looks like ice.
(d) Ice that turns blue when viewed through sunglasses.
2. At the end of the chapter "On the Edge", Joe notes what about the day?
(a) It had been "neither enjoyable nor funny".
(b) It had been "a scrabbling nightmare".
(c) It had been "what we live for".
(d) It had been "brilliant".
3. Why are Simon's fingertips turning black?
(a) They are becoming frostbitten.
(b) They are stained from the rope.
(c) They are bruised.
(d) They are infected.
4. When thinking about being left on the mountain, Joe feels himself "teetering on the edge of..."
(b) A cliff.
(d) A crevasse.
5. What is a Karrimat?
(a) A sleeping mat.
(b) A karabiner mat.
(c) A belay seat.
(d) A sleeping bag.
6. At one of the lowering changeovers, Simon smiles at Joe, and Joe realizes that their partnership...
(a) Is just as effective and had turned from climbing to rescue.
(b) Had been a bad idea.
(c) Is accident-prone.
(d) Has gone from bad to worse.
7. How does Joe compare his fitness with Simon's?
(a) Joe is more fit than Simon.
(b) Joe and Simon are equally matched.
(c) Simon is more fit than Joe.
(d) Joe and Simon are both out of shape.
8. When Joe and Simon move together, Joe moves only when...
(a) The rope moves.
(b) He can see Simon.
(c) The whiteout is over.
(d) Simon gives him the signal.
9. How many hours do Joe and Ian hang on the rope before being rescued?
10. Joe is thrilled at the prospect of achieving what?
(a) A first ascent.
(b) A base jump.
(c) His father's dream.
(d) A solo climb.
11. What do the climbers call their melted-snow drinks?
12. Who is the first character mentioned by the author?
(b) Joe's parents.
13. What does Joe mean by a "tortured" cornice?
(a) Twisted and distorted.
(d) Pummeled by snow and wind.
14. Before recounting the Mont Blanc incident, Joe determines that Simon...
(a) Is going to leave without him.
(b) Has broken his leg.
(c) Is suffering from altitude sickness.
(d) Is indeed frostbitten.
15. How many practice climbs do Joe and Simon complete in order to acclimatize?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what mountain range do two climbers witness the deaths of two other climbers?
2. What is the name of the rock that Joe and Ian climb?
3. Why does Simon cut the rope?
4. What does Simon insist that Joe not do on this trip?
5. What is a couloir?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)