|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When thinking about being left on the mountain, Joe feels himself "teetering on the edge of..."
(b) A crevasse.
(d) A cliff.
2. As Simon lowers Joe down the mountain, how is Joe facing?
(a) Face down, head first.
(b) Face up, feet first.
(c) Face up, head first.
(d) Face down, feet first.
3. What collapses under Simon's feet?
(a) A snow ridge.
(b) An ice bridge.
(c) The summit.
(d) A crevice.
4. When referring to their experience on the ridge, Simon tells Joe that he is...
(a) Ready to do it again.
(b) Not recalling what happened.
(d) Freaked out.
5. What does Simon insist that Joe not do on this trip?
(b) Smoke marijuana.
(c) Smoke cigarettes.
(d) Drink beer.
6. What do Norma and Gloria sell to Richard and Joe?
(a) Muslin bags.
(b) Homemade cheese.
(c) Two Donkeys.
(d) Goat's milk.
7. On their first night on Siula Grande, what do Joe and Simon sleep in?
(a) A man-made cave.
(b) A natural cave.
(c) A tent.
(d) A pigsty.
8. In his climbing rhythm, Joe says to look at what?
(a) The ice.
(b) The ice axe.
(c) Your feet.
(d) Your watch.
9. What animals do the climbers use to transport their gear to base camp?
10. How does Joe try to gauge their height on the mountain?
(a) By checking his wristwatch altimiter.
(b) By looking at nearby peaks.
(c) By checking the map.
(d) By checking his GPS.
11. As Simon lowers Joe, what causes the most pain?
(a) The cold.
(b) The ice axes hitting his knee.
(c) His crampons snagging the ice and snow.
(d) The friction on his knee.
12. How are Joe and Ian rescued?
(a) By Japanese climbers.
(b) By rescue helicopter.
(c) By donkey.
(d) By Simon.
13. What is a patina?
(a) A thin layer that appears slowly over time.
(b) A Peruvian flatbread that Gloria cooks for Richard.
(c) The ceiling of a snow cave.
(d) A type of mountaineering skate used to descend slopes.
14. How does Simon cut the rope?
(a) He saws at the rope with a knife for one hour.
(b) He cuts it with a set of climber's rope-shears.
(c) He uses a sharp rock.
(d) He touches a knife to it.
15. What is a Karrimat?
(a) A belay seat.
(b) A sleeping mat.
(c) A sleeping bag.
(d) A karabiner mat.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the chapter "On the Edge", on which side of Siula Grande are Joe and Simon descending?
2. When the rope suddenly pulls on Simon with great force, what situation is Joe in that Simon cannot see?
3. Simon tells Joe that he is knackered. What does this mean?
4. Who witnesses two climbers in Europe fall to their deaths the year before?
5. What device does Joe wish they had in their possession as they descend from the summit of Siula Grande?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)