|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is blue ice?
(a) Rock that looks like ice.
(b) Ice that turns blue when viewed through sunglasses.
(c) Ice that is blue in color.
(d) Glacial ice that is clear.
2. When Joe sees Simon's frostbitten fingers, why does he feel anxious?
(a) He is worried about Simon's health.
(b) He is worried about Simon's climbing future.
(c) He gets queasy about frostbite.
(d) He is worried that Simon won't be able to lower him down the mountain.
3. How long do Joe and Simon expect to be gone on their climb of Siula Grande?
(a) Two Days.
(b) One week.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) Five Days.
4. On what route do two climbers witness the deaths of two other climbers?
(a) Siula Grande.
(b) The Croz Spur.
(c) Mount Everest.
(d) The Red Granite Spire.
5. When Joe follows Simon, he is careful to do what?
(a) Keep Richard informed of their progress.
(b) Follow Simon's footsteps exactly.
(c) Avoid Simon's footsteps entirely.
(d) Not lose sight of Simon.
6. What do the climbers use to help them see at night?
(b) Head torches.
(d) LCD screens.
7. What is a patina?
(a) A thin layer that appears slowly over time.
(b) A Peruvian flatbread that Gloria cooks for Richard.
(c) A type of mountaineering skate used to descend slopes.
(d) The ceiling of a snow cave.
8. Joe is thrilled at the prospect of achieving what?
(a) A solo climb.
(b) His father's dream.
(c) A base jump.
(d) A first ascent.
9. When Joe falls and lands on the slope at the base of the cliff, what happens?
(a) He breaks his left leg.
(b) His right lower leg bone is forced through the knee joint.
(c) He rips Simon off the mountain.
(d) He ruptures his left knee.
10. Who witnesses two climbers in Europe fall to their deaths the year before?
(a) Simon Yates and Jon Sylvester.
(b) Richard Hawking and Ian Whittaker.
(c) Al Rouse and Maurice Herzog.
(d) Simon Yates and Joe Simpson.
11. How does Simon cut the rope?
(a) He touches a knife to it.
(b) He uses a sharp rock.
(c) He cuts it with a set of climber's rope-shears.
(d) He saws at the rope with a knife for one hour.
12. How does Joe try to gauge their height on the mountain?
(a) By checking his GPS.
(b) By checking the map.
(c) By looking at nearby peaks.
(d) By checking his wristwatch altimiter.
13. When thinking about being left on the mountain, Joe feels himself "teetering on the edge of..."
(a) A cliff.
(b) A crevasse.
14. What is the first thing Simon says to Joe after Joe tells him about the broken leg?
(a) 'Are you okay?'
(b) 'I'll abseil down to you.'
(c) 'What happened?'
(d) 'Are you sure it's broken?'
15. After lowering Joe down, what is Simon's signal that Joe needs to take his weight off the rope?
(a) Three flashes of his head torch.
(b) Three arm waves.
(c) Giving slack to the rope.
(d) Three tugs on the rope.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the chapter "On the Edge", Joe notes what about the day?
2. How are Joe and Ian rescued?
3. How long is one length of climbing rope?
4. In his climbing rhythm, Joe says to look at what?
5. At one of the lowering changeovers, Simon smiles at Joe, and Joe realizes that their partnership...
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)