|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through On the Edge.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What device does Joe wish they had in their possession as they descend from the summit of Siula Grande?
(a) A compass.
(b) A flare gun.
(c) A GPS.
(d) A satellite phone.
2. When Joe sees Simon's frostbitten fingers, why does he feel anxious?
(a) He is worried about Simon's climbing future.
(b) He is worried about Simon's health.
(c) He is worried that Simon won't be able to lower him down the mountain.
(d) He gets queasy about frostbite.
3. While Joe struggles to dig a snow cave, Simon struggles to do what?
(a) To dig his own snow cave.
(b) To repair his head torch with his bare fingers.
(c) To repair his sticht plate with his bare fingers.
(d) To thaw out his fingers.
4. When Joe follows Simon, he is careful to do what?
(a) Follow Simon's footsteps exactly.
(b) Not lose sight of Simon.
(c) Keep Richard informed of their progress.
(d) Avoid Simon's footsteps entirely.
5. What do Joe and Simon climb at the beginning of the ascent on Siula Grande?
(a) A granite spire.
(b) A buttress.
(c) An ice wall.
(d) A fluting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who witnesses two climbers in Europe fall to their deaths the year before?
2. What is verglas?
3. What does Simon insist that Joe not do on this trip?
4. At the beginning of the chapter "On the Edge", on which side of Siula Grande are Joe and Simon descending?
5. What side of Siula Grande do Joe and Simon have the ambition to conquer?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)