|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dolores Engracia Ramirez's nickname?
2. After Petey gets married, who does his father begin to lust after?
3. Tall Bob Smoke has the body of a _____________.
4. Why does Torrelli want to kill Pilon?
5. What do the paisanos do after a shipwreck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Petey Ravanno and what is his relationship with Gracie?
2. Who is Dolores Engracia (Sweets) Ramirez and what is her interest in Danny?
3. Describe the Pirate's visit to Sunday mass.
4. How do the paisanos help Teresina when the bean crop fails and she cannot feed her eight children?
5. How does Big Joe fall in love with Tia Ignacia?
6. What is unusual about the diet of Teresina's children and the manner in which they eat?
7. What is the Pirate's daily ritual with his quarter and the canvas bag?
8. What does Pirate do with his dogs after he is moved by the stories of St. Francis in church?
9. Why does the Pirate donate money to the church and what is the effect of this gesture on the other paisanos?
10. How is the story of the corporal both pathetic and noble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Steinbeck use the literary technique of local color in Tortilla Flat? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Tortilla Flat establishments. In the characters. In the events.
Essay Topic 2
Steinbeck populates Tortilla Flat with several eccentric characters. Who are the eccentrics in the novel? What makes them eccentric? Do you have a favorite eccentric in the book? Why? What makes him/her so appealing to you?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of spirituality. Identify at least two examples about spirituality in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of spirituality.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)