|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Joe and the woman in #104 caught doing in public?
2. What does Danny buy at Torrelli's?
3. What does Dolores hope will happen when she invites the man in #76 to her home?
4. What rank does the sixteen-year-old boy have in the Mexican army?
5. What does Teresina do each year to help insure a good bean crop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Pirate donate money to the church and what is the effect of this gesture on the other paisanos?
2. Who is Tia Ignacia and with which one of the paisanos does she have a romantic interlude?
3. How do the paisanos help Teresina when the bean crop fails and she cannot feed her eight children?
4. What is unusual about the diet of Teresina's children and the manner in which they eat?
5. What do the paisanos do to Joe after he steals the Pirate's bag of quarters?
6. What does Pirate do with his dogs after he is moved by the stories of St. Francis in church?
7. How does Big Joe fall in love with Tia Ignacia?
8. Describe the Pirate's visit to Sunday mass.
9. What is the story of the boy and the baby, Manuel?
10. What happens when the paisanos sell the vacuum cleaner to Torrelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Steinbeck is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Steinbeck's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in TORTILLA FLAT.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Steinbeck's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)