|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about the woman in #104?
2. Why does Sweets not use the item in #86?
3. What does Danny buy at Torrelli's?
4. How can Jesus Maria best be characterized?
5. What happens to Bob when he tries to kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dolores Engracia (Sweets) Ramirez and what is her interest in Danny?
2. Why does the Pirate donate money to the church and what is the effect of this gesture on the other paisanos?
3. Who is Petey Ravanno and what is his relationship with Gracie?
4. Who is Senora Teresina Cortez and what puzzles her most in her life?
5. What do the paisanos do to Joe after he steals the Pirate's bag of quarters?
6. What is unusual about the diet of Teresina's children and the manner in which they eat?
7. What gift does Danny buy for Sweets and how does he begin to feel about her?
8. What does Pirate do with his dogs after he is moved by the stories of St. Francis in church?
9. Who is Tia Ignacia and with which one of the paisanos does she have a romantic interlude?
10. How do Danny and Sweets eventually connect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of spirituality. Identify at least two examples about spirituality in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of spirituality.
Essay Topic 2
Although the residents of Tortilla Flat live on the fringe of acceptable society, they take care of each other. What is the bond between the residents of Tortilla Flat that makes them want to help each other even when others won't? Is there a common denominator among the Tortilla Flat residents that they recognize themselves in each other? Explain some situations in the book where the Tortilla Flat residents exhibit humanity toward one another.
Essay Topic 3
Tortilla Flat is populated with social outcasts and homeless people. What would become of these same people today? Re-write the characterizations and settings for the main characters. Explain the reasons for your changes.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)