|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dolores Ramirez can be best described as _____________________.
2. How many children does Senora Teresina Cortez have?
3. What does Emilio Murietta give to Cornelia?
4. What is the name of the priest to whom the paisanos give the coins?
5. What do the paisanos do to the person in #111 to teach him not to steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the paisanos help Teresina when the bean crop fails and she cannot feed her eight children?
2. What does Pirate do with his dogs after he is moved by the stories of St. Francis in church?
3. How does Big Joe fall in love with Tia Ignacia?
4. What do the paisanos do to Joe after he steals the Pirate's bag of quarters?
5. Who does Jesus Maria encounter in the company of a policeman and what does Jesus Maria do in the situation?
6. Why does the Pirate donate money to the church and what is the effect of this gesture on the other paisanos?
7. Who is Dolores Engracia (Sweets) Ramirez and what is her interest in Danny?
8. What is the Pirate's daily ritual with his quarter and the canvas bag?
9. How can Jesus Maria be best characterized?
10. What is unusual about the diet of Teresina's children and the manner in which they eat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
How does Steinbeck use the literary technique of local color in Tortilla Flat? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Tortilla Flat establishments. In the characters. In the events.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Torrelli. How does Lee conduct his business and his life? Why is he such an important figure in Tortilla Flat? What does he represent to the other characters in the story?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)