|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word meaning "friend" is used in TORTILLA FLAT?
2. How much does Pilon ask Pablo to pay in rent each month?
3. How much money does Pilon figure the Pirate must be hoarding?
4. What is found during Pilon's treasure dig?
5. Why does Pilon think he will not go to hell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pilon rationalize not getting any gold for Danny?
2. Who is the Pirate and what does Pilon learn about his daily routine?
3. Who does Danny invite to live with him in his house?
4. What is the reason for Danny's becoming drunk and disorderly and what is his sentence?
5. What happens to Jesus Maria and what inspiration does Pilon have for the pink bra?
6. How does Arabella Gross take advantage of Jesus Maria Corcoran?
7. How does Big Joe Portagee become a tenant in Danny's house?
8. What is the condition of Danny's house and how much rent is it agreed that Pilon will pay?
9. Which woman is Danny interested in and what is the attraction?
10. What does Pilon explain about keeping the treasures one finds in a St. Andrew's Eve dig?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the residents of Tortilla Flat live on the fringe of acceptable society, they take care of each other. What is the bond between the residents of Tortilla Flat that makes them want to help each other even when others won't? Is there a common denominator among the Tortilla Flat residents that they recognize themselves in each other? Explain some situations in the book where the Tortilla Flat residents exhibit humanity toward one another.
Essay Topic 2
Steinbeck populates Tortilla Flat with several eccentric characters. Who are the eccentrics in the novel? What makes them eccentric? Do you have a favorite eccentric in the book? Why? What makes him/her so appealing to you?
Essay Topic 3
Nature takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)