|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Pilon and Pablo send the person in #25 to the wharf to do?
2. What does Pilon scheme to take from Mrs. Pastano?
3. What do the other paisanos find on St. Andrews Eve?
4. What item does the person in #26 still want to buy for the object of his affections even though she leaves him to go with some soldiers?
5. What does Pilon do to earn money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pilon explain about keeping the treasures one finds in a St. Andrew's Eve dig?
2. Who is the protagonist of the story and how is he introduced in the novel?
3. How does Pilon rationalize not getting any gold for Danny?
4. Describe how Pilon and Joe dig for their treasure and what do they find?
5. How does Arabella Gross take advantage of Jesus Maria Corcoran?
6. What is the reason for Danny's becoming drunk and disorderly and what is his sentence?
7. What is Big Joe's experience with Pilon on St. Andrew's Eve?
8. Why do the paisanos follow the Pirate every morning?
9. How does Pilon try to convince the Pirate to come live in the house with the paisanos?
10. How does Jesus Maria Corcoran become the next tenant in the second house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Steinbeck uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Tortilla Flat. Now, describe Monterey, using only your recall of Steinbeck's descriptions. How do you visualize the California coast now that you have read Steinbeck's TORTILLA FLAT.
Essay Topic 2
Steinbeck clearly likes to have fun with his readers. Name some examples of humor in this book. Which characters are especially prone to humorous behavior? Which are not? Why does Steinbeck use humor? Is he trying to balance somber stories or does he just find life to be funny most of the time, at least in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Torrelli. How does Lee conduct his business and his life? Why is he such an important figure in Tortilla Flat? What does he represent to the other characters in the story?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)