|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other paisanos find on St. Andrews Eve?
(a) A skeleton.
(b) Some empty wine bottles.
(d) An empty buried chest.
2. What is in the large canvas bag that Pirate brings home to the men?
(c) 5 roosters.
(d) 1,000 quarters.
3. Where does the Pirate show up every day?
(d) Santa Barbara.
4. Why does Pilon think he will be the one to find the treasure?
(a) He has won before.
(b) His heart is clean and unselfish.
(c) He has a sixth sense about these things.
(d) He has a good metal detector.
5. Tortilla Flat thrives on gossip about _______________.
(b) love lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Danny just returned from as the novel opens?
2. What do the men try to learn from Pirate?
3. How much does the Pirate earn each day?
4. Who shares wine with Pilon and Pablo?
5. For whom does the person in #26 buy wine, lingerie and whiskey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Big Joe's experience with Pilon on St. Andrew's Eve?
2. Which woman is Danny interested in and what is the attraction?
3. What do the paisanos learn is in the Pirates' canvas bag and what is done with the bag at the house?
4. How does Jesus Maria Corcoran become the next tenant in the second house?
5. What are Danny's reactions when he learns that his second house has burned down?
6. Where does Pilon actually move and who does he invite to move in with him?
7. What does Pilon explain about keeping the treasures one finds in a St. Andrew's Eve dig?
8. Describe how Pilon and Joe dig for their treasure and what do they find?
9. How does Pilon rationalize not getting any gold for Danny?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing when Pilon and Pablo are talking about deceased friends?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)