|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Lady sing a torch song?
(a) Only once at the beginning of the play.
(b) Between each scene.
(c) After each actor speaks.
2. Who sings from another part of the stage?
(a) No one.
(c) A torch singer.
3. What does Murray look like?
(a) He is medium height, balding and wears glasses.
(b) He is not onstage, so the audience does not know.
(c) He is buffed and quite handsome.
(d) He is short with a bit of a paunch around the middle.
4. Why is the backroom dark?
(a) For anonymity.
(b) So the video is clear.
(c) Because people are embarrassed to undress for a massage.
(d) So the blacklight is effective.
5. What does the stranger do when Arnold tries to talk?
(a) Arnold is too scared to talk.
(b) Jokes around with Arnold.
(c) The stranger replies that he is deaf.
(d) Slaps Arnold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one possible theme in this scene?
2. What is the setting at the opening of this scene?
3. How much time has passed since scene 2?
4. What does Arnold admit to himself?
5. What does Arnold prefer at the moment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What musical term is used in this scene and explain why it is used.
2. What is Mrs. Beckoff's response to news of the impending adoption of David?
3. Describe the situation at the beginning of this scene.
4. What is the significance of the term "Stretto" in this scene?
5. Why do you think Ed Reiss insists that he dates women as well as men?
6. Describe Ed and David's interaction on the park bench.
7. Define the term "fugue," and how it is applicable in this scene.
8. What is the resolution at the end of this scene?
9. When scene 3 opens, who is on the stage and what is he doing?
10. Who is Mrs. Beckoff and describe her initial impressions during her visit to Arnold.
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)