|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the stranger do when Arnold tries to talk?
(a) Jokes around with Arnold.
(b) Slaps Arnold.
(c) The stranger replies that he is deaf.
(d) Arnold is too scared to talk.
2. Who delivers a monologue?
3. This short scene establishes the potential for a future conflict using a writing technique named what?
(c) Red Herring.
4. What does Murray look like?
(a) He is short with a bit of a paunch around the middle.
(b) He is not onstage, so the audience does not know.
(c) He is buffed and quite handsome.
(d) He is medium height, balding and wears glasses.
5. What happens when Arnold bends over to set a beer can down?
(a) He drops the beer and it foams all over his clothes.
(b) He sees a religious tract and decides to leave.
(c) The stranger penetrates him from behind.
(d) He asks the man who is with him to leave him alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are onstage at the opening of this scene?
2. After the opening, where do the lights shine?
3. About what is Arnold still hurt?
4. What is the setting at the opening of this scene?
5. Why does Ed date a woman as well as Arnold?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and why is Laurel visiting Arnold?
2. What happens when Arnold gets Ed on the phone?
3. What are two examples of how Arnold rationalizes his behavior?
4. What potential conflicts could ensue by the coming together of Arnold, Ed, and Alan?
5. What is the major topic of conversation in this scene?
6. Describe the opening to this scene.
7. Why do you think the author uses the word "Stretto" again in naming this scene?
8. Upon what do the two couples seem to agree?
9. How does this act end?
10. What is the purpose of Laurel's phone call to Ed. What do you think are her motives?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)