|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Arnold at the opening of this scene?
(a) In a church service.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The International Stud gay bar.
(d) At home.
2. What is annoying to Arnold about his conversation with Ed?
(a) That Ed does not acknowledge Arnold's hurt.
(b) Ed's conflicted state of mind.
(c) The fact that Ed tries to kiss Arnold in the middle of the conversation.
(d) That Ed keeps talking about Laurel.
3. How could Arnold's emotion be described when he is in the back room?
(d) He refuses to go to back room.
4. What has taken Ed by surprise?
(a) That Arnold has lost 30 pounds.
(b) That Arnold is involved with someone new.
(c) That Laurel and Alan are cousins.
(d) That he knew Alan in elementary school.
5. Why does Arnold think Ed may be ashamed of him?
(a) Because Ed never introduces Arnold to Ed's parents.
(b) Because Ed will only be with Arnold in a gay bar.
(c) Ed doesn't appear to be ashamed of Arnold.
(d) Because Ed never introduces Arnold to a chance encounter with any friends.
6. When does Laurel want Arnold to visit?
(a) When Arnold can get away.
(b) In another month or two once Arnold has had time to process Ed's marriage.
(d) The upcoming weekend.
7. What is Arnold talking about with the other person?
(a) How he has been tested for AIDS.
(b) That he plans to kill himself.
(c) About the decorations.
(d) That he is hurt by Ed's betrayal and wants a deep and true love.
8. What is the relationship between Ed and Arnold?
(a) They are best friends.
(b) They are lovers.
(c) They do not actually know each other.
(d) They are co-workers.
9. With what is Ed conflicted?
(a) He has no real conflicts at the moment.
(b) Whether to move to New York.
(c) Whether to quit his job.
(d) His homosexulity.
10. Where is the person with whom Arnold converses?
(a) Not in front of Arnold.
(b) In the bathroom stall next to Arnold.
(c) Behind the bar.
(d) Sitting next to Arnold.
11. This short scene establishes the potential for a future conflict using a writing technique named what?
(a) Red Herring.
12. Who is trying to awaken Arnold?
13. How long has it been since Arnold and Ed have ended their relationship?
(a) Five months.
(b) A year.
(c) A few days.
(d) Ten years.
14. What does Ed ask the person with whom he is conversing?
(a) If he can get a Tom Collins.
(b) If it is uncomfortable sleeping on the vents.
(c) If the back room is crowded.
(d) If the water is back on.
15. Who sings from another part of the stage?
(b) No one.
(c) A torch singer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arnold do in order to have some time to think over Ed and his relationship?
2. Where are all of the characters in the opening of this scene?
3. What does Arnold prefer at the moment?
4. What is the setting at the opening of the play?
5. Where is the setting in Scene 3?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)