|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Laura got a new job in California and her husband Dylan did not want to move, what did they do?
2. At the time of the art exhibition described in San Francisco, 2012, the unnamed narrator was which of the following?
3. The unnamed narrator reveals what detail about her only child in the section entitled Los Angeles, 2011?
4. For which method of transportation did the unnamed narrator advocate during her discussion with her tall, dark-haired friend?
5. How does the narrator say it makes her feel when someone tells her "a story, a secret, a sharing of confidence" (27)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about the unnamed narrator's romantic life does the reader learn in Italy, 2000?
2. At the end of the section entitled Los Angeles, 2011, the unnamed narrator describes an act she took with a teapot. What was it?
3. What was the subject of the Swedish artist's creations, according to the unnnamed narrator?
4. What is the main setting featured within the section entitled San Francisco, 2010?
5. How does the unnamed narrator define "female pain" (43) and what expertise does she have in this subject?
6. How does the unnamed narrator feel about the truth and lies, according to her statements in Los Angeles, 2011?
7. Describe the four characters featured at the center of the gathering in Ann Arbor, 2002.
8. What was the outcome of the tenant's story in the section entitled Ann Arbor, 2002?
9. How did the unnamed narrator feel about the dissolution of Laura's marriage?
10. For what reason does the unnamed narrator use a hedge maze as a metaphor for Artemisia's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose an object from Topics of Conversation, such as the hedge maze, alcoholic drinks, or some other symbolic object and discuss its overall meaning and its connection to themes within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Popkey’s messages concerning the nature of security. Does the text indicate that it is dangerous or crucial? Choose one adjective and prove its validity using concrete details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss John's role within the events of the novel and explain how his character helps to further develop certain themes inherent in Popkey's novel Topics of Conversation.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)