|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ghost did Angie think she heard?
2. Which character interrupts Joan several times during the telling of her story?
3. When did Joan take a lover?
4. How many job interviews does Marlene come up with for Jeanine?
5. What was one of the Emperor's rituals?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angie lack traditional femininity in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What is ironic about Angie's worship of Marlene?
3. How is Griselda's experience with her children similar to or different from Marlene's experience with her own?
4. How might Marlene have reacted if she had a husband like Walter?
5. Why might Churchill have shown Angie talking one moment about plans to kill her mother and plans to go to the movies the next moment?
6. What evidence from the play supports Marlene's eagerness to show her admiration for people who have tried to make something of themselves?
7. Based on what you know about Louise's character, how might she act when she returns to her office today?
8. What is Joyce's attitude toward and about Angie in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. How are Joan, Marlene, and Isabella all examples of behaving against the norms of society?
10. How is Mrs. Kidd's presence in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2 a reminder of Marlene's determination to succeed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the way that Marlene has defined her power in the world different from or similar to the way that Nijo, Joan, Isabella, and Gret did? In terms of how their power was attained, which woman or women are truly the "Top Girls"?
Essay Topic 2
What is notable about the dialogue in Act 1? How does the particular dialogue style or pattern (as opposed to content) represent Marlene and the other characters? What is the overall effect?
Essay Topic 3
Are Churchill's choices in which characters are double-cast with each other intentional? Do the choices help define or confuse the two characters that are played by the same actor?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)