|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
2. What is the weather like at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
3. According to Marlene, the story of Griselda's marriage begins like a:
4. How do the dinner guests react to Joan's story?
5. What is Angie's secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Win's position at Top Girls a positive expression of her power?
2. Does Marlene really thinks Angie is stupid and strange?
3. How is Joyce's husband similar to the other male characters mentioned in the play?
4. Based on the information given in the play, why might respect for a private life be important to Jeanine?
5. Why might Griselda have defended her husband's actions?
6. How does the Mrs. Kidd's character parallel Joyce's character?
7. How are Joan, Marlene, and Isabella all examples of behaving against the norms of society?
8. What sort of parenting style does Joyce have? Is any of it effective on Angie?
9. How do Marlene and Joyce struggle for power over the way each one remembers the past?
10. How does Louise's character parallel Joan's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the women in Act 1 serve as manifestations of particular aspects of the life of Marlene? Select three characters in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 3, Part 1, how does Marlene fight to keep Joyce from convincing her that she made the wrong choices? Consider specific words and actions she delivers to stand her ground.
Essay Topic 3
Based on what you read, what is Churchill's opinion on the various roles of women in society and how these roles affect their relationships? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)