|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many job interviews does Marlene come up with for Jeanine?
2. What activity did Isabella put her life's energy into?
3. Why did Griselda accept Walter's tests of her love?
4. Which character thinks that good works are most important?
5. What was Nijo's first child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marlene's reaction towards her visitors in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2?
2. Why do you think the author includes a character like Isabella in the play?
3. How is Win's position at Top Girls a positive expression of her power?
4. What is ironic about Mrs. Kidd's claim that Howard needs the increase in salary?
5. What is the significance of the menstrual blood exchange between Kit and Angie? Are they trying to prove anything here?
6. How does Act 2, Scene 1 sketch an example of the post-feminist world?
7. Does the close of Act 2, Scene 1 show Marlene interacting with Jeanine in a positive or negative light?
8. Of the two characters, Joyce and Marlene, which one thinks she made the right decisions in life?
9. How does Louise's character parallel Joan's character?
10. How was Marlene's birthing experience similar to or different from that of Nijo's and Joan's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the way that Marlene has defined her power in the world different from or similar to the way that Nijo, Joan, Isabella, and Gret did? In terms of how their power was attained, which woman or women are truly the "Top Girls"?
Essay Topic 2
What prominent metaphor is the feature of Dull Gret's story in Act 1, Part 3? Why does Marlene not participate in this part of the celebration?
Essay Topic 3
How is Griselda's character a contrast to the other women in Act 1? What is Griselda's purpose is for being in the play?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)