|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ghost did Angie think she heard?
2. Which character insists she could never live the life of a "lady"?
3. Each of the following is a conflict for Jeanine's career except:
4. What was Nijo's first child?
5. Which character does not have a dead lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence from the play supports Marlene's reason for bringing such nice gifts to the house when it was not Christmas or anyone's birthday?
2. Based on what you know of Marlene's character from the play, do you think she would do things differently if she had the chance?
3. What is Joyce's attitude toward and about Angie in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. How do Marlene and Joyce struggle for power over the way each one remembers the past?
5. Based on the information given in the play, why might respect for a private life be important to Jeanine?
6. Of the two characters, Joyce and Marlene, which one thinks she made the right decisions in life?
7. How did Nell react to Shona's attempt to take control during their interview?
8. How is Angie's presence in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2 Churchill's reminder of Marlene's determination to succeed?
9. Why might Griselda have defended her husband's actions?
10. Why might Churchill have left Jeanine with the two job possibilities that she did?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Top Girls" is the play's title as well as the name of the employment agency where Marlene works. What is the meaning of the title of the play? What ironies exist in this title? Explain your response in detail.
Essay Topic 2
How is Griselda's character a contrast to the other women in Act 1? What is Griselda's purpose is for being in the play?
Essay Topic 3
What prominent metaphor is the feature of Dull Gret's story in Act 1, Part 3? Why does Marlene not participate in this part of the celebration?
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)