|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kit want to be when she grows up?
2. According to Joan, what is a greater sin than a Pope giving birth?
3. Who seems the least upset as Griselda tells her story?
4. Because of her skills, Jeanine:
5. What was Walter's secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the bullying going on in Act 2, Scene 2.
2. What might be a more symbolic reason Angie wants all the women to wear the perfume?
3. Why might Griselda have defended her husband's actions?
4. How is Marlene's coworker Win a reflection on her own character?
5. What evidence from the play supports Marlene's eagerness to show her admiration for people who have tried to make something of themselves?
6. How is Win's position at Top Girls a positive expression of her power?
7. What is Marlene's reaction towards her visitors in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2?
8. How was Marlene's birthing experience similar to or different from that of Nijo's and Joan's?
9. What is the significance of the menstrual blood exchange between Kit and Angie? Are they trying to prove anything here?
10. How is Angie's presence in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2 Churchill's reminder of Marlene's determination to succeed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ultimately, what sort of achievements are more admirable to Churchill: achievements based on inner independence, strength and courage, or financial and power-based victories? Explain your response with examples and characters from the play.
Essay Topic 2
How do the women in Act 1 serve as manifestations of particular aspects of the life of Marlene? Select three characters in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
How do the play's individualized characters and realistic dialogue create a heightened theatrical reality? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)