|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Isabella do after her lover died?
2. According to Joan, being pope:
3. Why does Marlene want Jeanine to get a job?
4. What kind of ghost did Angie think she heard?
5. What is the main topic of conversation in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Louise her own worst enemy during her job interview?
2. How was Marlene's birthing experience similar to or different from that of Nijo's and Joan's?
3. What is Marlene's reaction towards her visitors in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2?
4. How does the Mrs. Kidd's character parallel Joyce's character?
5. What is the significance of Act 1, Part 2 ending with the waitress clearing the table?
6. Based on what you know about Louise's character, how might she act when she returns to her office today?
7. Why might Joan have taken a lover when she was Pope?
8. What is ironic about Mrs. Kidd's claim that Howard needs the increase in salary?
9. How does Churchill portray women in dynamic and unlikely spiritual roles?
10. How are Joan, Marlene, and Isabella all examples of behaving against the norms of society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the way that Marlene has defined her power in the world different from or similar to the way that Nijo, Joan, Isabella, and Gret did? In terms of how their power was attained, which woman or women are truly the "Top Girls"?
Essay Topic 2
Ultimately, what sort of achievements are more admirable to Churchill: achievements based on inner independence, strength and courage, or financial and power-based victories? Explain your response with examples and characters from the play.
Essay Topic 3
"Top Girls" is the play's title as well as the name of the employment agency where Marlene works. What is the meaning of the title of the play? What ironies exist in this title? Explain your response in detail.
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)