|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Nijo feel when the Emperor died?
2. The job Jeanine will interview for with good pay also offers:
3. What religion is Nijo?
4. In what language does Joan pray?
5. What is Angie's secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marlene's power revealed in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 1, and why is this considered a power?
2. How does Louise's character parallel Joan's character?
3. What is ironic about Angie's worship of Marlene?
4. How is Win's position at Top Girls a positive expression of her power?
5. Based on the information given in the play, why might respect for a private life be important to Jeanine?
6. How is Mrs. Kidd's presence in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2 a reminder of Marlene's determination to succeed?
7. What genre might be used to describe the play during Act 1? Explain why.
8. Why might Churchill have written the character of Griselda as arriving late? What might it symbolize?
9. What is Joyce's attitude toward and about Angie in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. Based on the dialogue from Act 1, Part 3, how might you say that Isabella and Marlene are alike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 3, Part 1, how does Marlene fight to keep Joyce from convincing her that she made the wrong choices? Consider specific words and actions she delivers to stand her ground.
Essay Topic 2
How does the subject matter of babies help define Marlene's character? Consider Marlene's association or disassociation with the other women's experiences in Act 1.
Essay Topic 3
Ultimately, what sort of achievements are more admirable to Churchill: achievements based on inner independence, strength and courage, or financial and power-based victories? Explain your response with examples and characters from the play.
This section contains 1,791 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)