Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Act 2, Scene 1 end?
2. Who asks most of the questions during Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What best describes Marlene's attitude with Jeanine during the interview?
4. Jeanine can best be described as:
5. What might get in the way of a job with a lot of travel for Jeanine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the bullying going on in Act 2, Scene 2.
2. How might Marlene have reacted if she had a husband like Walter?
3. Based on the information given in the play, why might respect for a private life be important to Jeanine?
4. Of the two characters, Joyce and Marlene, which one thinks she made the right decisions in life?
5. How does Churchill portray women in dynamic and unlikely spiritual roles?
6. Why might Churchill have written the character of Griselda as arriving late? What might it symbolize?
7. What evidence from the play supports Marlene's reason for bringing such nice gifts to the house when it was not Christmas or anyone's birthday?
8. What is the significance of the menstrual blood exchange between Kit and Angie? Are they trying to prove anything here?
9. What is ironic about Angie's worship of Marlene?
10. What is Joyce's attitude toward and about Angie in Act 2, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
How do the play's individualized characters and realistic dialogue create a heightened theatrical reality? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2, Marlene is confronted by two different consequences of her determination to succeed. Explain these two consequences and how she attempts to effectively deal with them. Do you think she is successful in her attempts to cope both in appearance and in regards to her inner emotional state? Give specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why might Churchill feature babies as such a prominent topic in Act 1, Parts 2 and 3? Please provide specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,427 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)