|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Each of the following is a conflict for Jeanine's career except:
2. What best describes Marlene's attitude with Jeanine during the interview?
3. What might get in the way of a job with a lot of travel for Jeanine?
4. What kind of ghost did Angie think she heard?
5. Who was Joan's lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Louise her own worst enemy during her job interview?
2. Why does Marlene harp so much on the fact that she left her unpleasant past life behind?
3. How do Marlene and Joyce struggle for power over the way each one remembers the past?
4. Based on the dialogue from Act 1, Part 3, how might you say that Isabella and Marlene are alike?
5. Why do you think the author includes a character like Isabella in the play?
6. Based on the information given in the play, why might respect for a private life be important to Jeanine?
7. Why might Marlene have asked Joan if she considered not having the baby?
8. How does the Mrs. Kidd's character parallel Joyce's character?
9. Why might the author include so many dinner guests who have worn men's clothing?
10. What is the significance of the menstrual blood exchange between Kit and Angie? Are they trying to prove anything here?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the way that Marlene has defined her power in the world different from or similar to the way that Nijo, Joan, Isabella, and Gret did? In terms of how their power was attained, which woman or women are truly the "Top Girls"?
Essay Topic 2
How does the subject matter of babies help define Marlene's character? Consider Marlene's association or disassociation with the other women's experiences in Act 1.
Essay Topic 3
How do the play's individualized characters and realistic dialogue create a heightened theatrical reality? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)