|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character interrupts Joan several times during the telling of her story?
2. In what language does Joan pray?
3. What do Nijo and Isabella's main shared experience?
4. Where does Joyce want the girls to go while they are in the yard?
5. Why are Marlene and Jeanine meeting in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joyce's attitude toward and about Angie in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Why might Churchill have written the character of Griselda as arriving late? What might it symbolize?
3. What is Marlene's reaction towards her visitors in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2?
4. How is Angie's presence in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2 Churchill's reminder of Marlene's determination to succeed?
5. Why might Churchill have left Jeanine with the two job possibilities that she did?
6. What is Marlene's power revealed in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 1, and why is this considered a power?
7. Based on what you know of Marlene's character from the play, do you think she would do things differently if she had the chance?
8. How is Marlene compared to her coworker Howard by the other women in the office?
9. Based on what you know about Louise's character, how might she act when she returns to her office today?
10. Why might Joan have taken a lover when she was Pope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How could the scene between Angie and Kit in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 1 serves as a statement that the characters find femininity in general to be gross? Consider three examples in your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
What is notable about the dialogue in Act 1? How does the particular dialogue style or pattern (as opposed to content) represent Marlene and the other characters? What is the overall effect?
Essay Topic 3
Why might Churchill feature babies as such a prominent topic in Act 1, Parts 2 and 3? Please provide specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)