|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kit want to be when she grows up?
2. As the baby grew inside of Joan, she:
3. What is the weather like at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What occupation did Griselda's husband have?
5. According to Joan, being pope:
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the bullying going on in Act 2, Scene 2.
2. How might Marlene have reacted if she had a husband like Walter?
3. What genre might be used to describe the play during Act 1? Explain why.
4. Describe a unique feature of Act 1's dialogue, and why it may be presented/designed this way.
5. How is Marlene compared to her coworker Howard by the other women in the office?
6. What evidence from the play supports Marlene's reason for bringing such nice gifts to the house when it was not Christmas or anyone's birthday?
7. How does Louise's character parallel Joan's character?
8. What is ironic about Angie's worship of Marlene?
9. What is the significance of the menstrual blood exchange between Kit and Angie? Are they trying to prove anything here?
10. How does the Mrs. Kidd's character parallel Joyce's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is notable about the dialogue in Act 1? How does the particular dialogue style or pattern (as opposed to content) represent Marlene and the other characters? What is the overall effect?
Essay Topic 2
Are Churchill's choices in which characters are double-cast with each other intentional? Do the choices help define or confuse the two characters that are played by the same actor?
Essay Topic 3
Based on what you read, what is Churchill's opinion on the various roles of women in society and how these roles affect their relationships? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,844 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)