|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main topic of conversation in Act 1, Part 2?
2. Why are Marlene and Jeanine meeting in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What is wrong with Angie's dress in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. Why does Marlene want Jeanine to get a job?
5. How does Act 2, Scene 1 end?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angie lack traditional femininity in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Based on what you know of Marlene's character from the play, do you think she would do things differently if she had the chance?
3. What sort of parenting style does Joyce have? Is any of it effective on Angie?
4. What sort of metaphor can be drawn from Dull Gret's journey into hell?
5. What is ironic about Mrs. Kidd's claim that Howard needs the increase in salary?
6. Of the two characters, Joyce and Marlene, which one thinks she made the right decisions in life?
7. How does Act 2, Scene 1 sketch an example of the post-feminist world?
8. Why might Griselda have defended her husband's actions?
9. How is Joyce's husband similar to the other male characters mentioned in the play?
10. How is Marlene compared to her coworker Howard by the other women in the office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 3, Part 1, how does Marlene fight to keep Joyce from convincing her that she made the wrong choices? Consider specific words and actions she delivers to stand her ground.
Essay Topic 2
How does Marlene's struggle for power have a domino-effect on other characters in her office and/or her personal life?
Essay Topic 3
In thinking about Act 2, what evidence is there of the women act as bullies towards each other? Consider different groups of women in your analysis.
This section contains 1,837 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)