|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlene order to drink at the restaurant as the play opens?
2. Which part of the meal do the women order during Act 1, Part 3?
3. What was Nijo's previous occupation?
4. Which character does not have a dead lover?
5. What does Kit want to be when she grows up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What genre might be used to describe the play during Act 1? Explain why.
2. Why might Churchill have written the character of Griselda as arriving late? What might it symbolize?
3. Why might Marlene have asked Joan if she considered not having the baby?
4. What evidence from the play supports Marlene's reason for bringing such nice gifts to the house when it was not Christmas or anyone's birthday?
5. Based on the information given in the play, why might respect for a private life be important to Jeanine?
6. What is ironic about Angie's worship of Marlene?
7. How is Marlene's coworker Win a reflection on her own character?
8. Why might Joyce have been so short with Marlene on her visit?
9. How might Marlene have reacted if she had a husband like Walter?
10. Of the two characters, Joyce and Marlene, which one thinks she made the right decisions in life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the subject matter of babies help define Marlene's character? Consider Marlene's association or disassociation with the other women's experiences in Act 1.
Essay Topic 2
How could the scene between Angie and Kit in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 1 serves as a statement that the characters find femininity in general to be gross? Consider three examples in your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
How do the women in Act 1 serve as manifestations of particular aspects of the life of Marlene? Select three characters in your essay.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)