|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the baby grew inside of Joan, she:
2. What weapon does Angie take up in the front yard?
3. What did Joan hope to understand as Pope?
4. Who asks Joan to finish her story about giving birth?
5. What occupation did Griselda's husband have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Marlene and Joyce struggle for power over the way each one remembers the past?
2. How does Shona attempt to take control during her interview with Nell?
3. What sort of parenting style does Joyce have? Is any of it effective on Angie?
4. Why might Churchill have included a scene between Marlene and a character like Jeanine? How are they similar or different?
5. How might Marlene have reacted if she had a husband like Walter?
6. Based on what you know of Marlene's character from the play, do you think she would do things differently if she had the chance?
7. Does the close of Act 2, Scene 1 show Marlene interacting with Jeanine in a positive or negative light?
8. What is ironic about Mrs. Kidd's claim that Howard needs the increase in salary?
9. How does Angie lack traditional femininity in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. Why might Griselda have defended her husband's actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1How does Marlene's struggle for power have a domino-effect on other characters in her office and/or her personal life?
Essay Topic 2What is the symbolic significance of Angie's dress seen in Act 2, Scene 3 as well as in other parts of the play as well? How does wearing the dress make Angie feel?
Essay Topic 3In Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2, Marlene is confronted by two different consequences of her determination to succeed. Explain these two consequences and how she attempts to effectively deal with them. Do you think she is successful in her attempts to cope both in appearance and in regards to her inner emotional state? Give specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)