|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Angie choose to wear the particular dress that she chooses at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
2. According to Joan, being pope:
3. What was Joan doing when she went into labor?
4. Who asks most of the questions during Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Why are the women toasting Marlene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Marlene's birthing experience similar to or different from that of Nijo's and Joan's?
2. What evidence from the play supports Marlene's reason for bringing such nice gifts to the house when it was not Christmas or anyone's birthday?
3. Why might Marlene have asked Joan if she considered not having the baby?
4. Why might Churchill have left Jeanine with the two job possibilities that she did?
5. How did Nell react to Shona's attempt to take control during their interview?
6. Why might the author include so few details about the identity of Marlene's lover?
7. Why might Churchill have included a scene between Marlene and a character like Jeanine? How are they similar or different?
8. What might the future hold for Marlene, and what clues in the story support your answer?
9. Based on the information given in the play, why might respect for a private life be important to Jeanine?
10. What is Marlene's reaction towards her visitors in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might Churchill feature babies as such a prominent topic in Act 1, Parts 2 and 3? Please provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does Marlene's struggle for power have a domino-effect on other characters in her office and/or her personal life?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 3, Part 1, how does Marlene fight to keep Joyce from convincing her that she made the wrong choices? Consider specific words and actions she delivers to stand her ground.
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)