|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character's children were taken away and never returned?
2. When Joan went into labor, what did she think was happening?
3. What does Angie lick?
4. What is Angie's secret?
5. What was one of the Emperor's rituals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on the dialogue from Act 1, Part 3, how might you say that Isabella and Marlene are alike?
2. Does Marlene really thinks Angie is stupid and strange?
3. What sort of metaphor can be drawn from Dull Gret's journey into hell?
4. How is Marlene compared to her coworker Howard by the other women in the office?
5. How is Marlene's coworker Win a reflection on her own character?
6. Why might Churchill have left Jeanine with the two job possibilities that she did?
7. What might be a more symbolic reason Angie wants all the women to wear the perfume?
8. How is Joyce's husband similar to the other male characters mentioned in the play?
9. What evidence from the play supports Marlene's eagerness to show her admiration for people who have tried to make something of themselves?
10. Why might Joyce have been so short with Marlene on her visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Churchill's choices in which characters are double-cast with each other intentional? Do the choices help define or confuse the two characters that are played by the same actor?
Essay Topic 2
How does the subject matter of babies help define Marlene's character? Consider Marlene's association or disassociation with the other women's experiences in Act 1.
Essay Topic 3
How is the way that Marlene has defined her power in the world different from or similar to the way that Nijo, Joan, Isabella, and Gret did? In terms of how their power was attained, which woman or women are truly the "Top Girls"?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)