|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character interrupts Joan several times during the telling of her story?
(c) The waitress.
2. According to Joan, what the pope says is:
(a) Often a lie.
(b) Sometimes confusing.
(c) Rarely spiritual.
(d) The truth.
3. Which character seems to travel the most?
(a) Pope Joan.
4. As the baby grew inside of Joan, she:
(a) Thought about the beauty of the life inside her.
(b) Just thought she was getting fat.
(c) Thought she had experienced immaculate conception.
(d) Thought the baby would grow up to be pope.
5. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
(a) Jeanine's home.
(b) The restaurant.
(c) Marlene's home.
(d) Top Girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character used to love getting dressed?
2. Why does Marlene want Jeanine to get a job?
3. What is Angie's secret?
4. In what language does Joan pray?
5. Who asks most of the questions during Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Win's position at Top Girls a positive expression of her power?
2. Describe a unique feature of Act 1's dialogue, and why it may be presented/designed this way.
3. What sort of metaphor can be drawn from Dull Gret's journey into hell?
4. Of the two characters, Joyce and Marlene, which one thinks she made the right decisions in life?
5. What might be the real reason Louise wants to leave her current job?
6. Why might Joyce have been so short with Marlene on her visit?
7. Why does Marlene become overwrought and have to leave the room when the conversation topic turns to the women's lovers?
8. What parallel can be drawn between Jeanine and Marlene?
9. Why does Marlene harp so much on the fact that she left her unpleasant past life behind?
10. What is Marlene's power revealed in Act 2, Scene 3, Part 1, and why is this considered a power?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)