Short Essay Questions Key
1. Why do you think the author includes a character like Isabella in the play?
2. What genre might be used to describe the play during Act 1? Explain why.
3. Describe a unique feature of Act 1's dialogue, and why it may be presented/designed this way.
4. Why might the author include so many dinner guests who have worn men's clothing?
5. Why might the author include so few details about the identity of Marlene's lover?
6. Why does Marlene become overwrought and have to leave the room when the conversation topic turns to the women's lovers?
7. Why might Joan have taken a lover when she was Pope?
8. Why might Marlene have asked Joan if she considered not having the baby?
9. How was Marlene's birthing experience similar to or different from that of Nijo's and Joan's?
10. What is the significance of Act 1, Part 2 ending with the waitress clearing the table?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)