|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Booth and Lincoln's mother leave an inheritance to?
2. What is Booth's room prepared for at the beginning of Scene 5?
3. How many years apart did Lincoln and Booth's parents leave them?
4. What did Booth say his and Lincoln's parents keeping up in terms of family life?
5. What does Booth tell Lincoln regarding his needing a job in Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the description of Lincoln and Booth's "inheritance" in Scene 5?
2. What reasons do the brothers give for why their parents left in Scene 5?
3. Describe Booth's appearance in his room at the beginning of Scene 5.
4. In Scene 5, what is Booth's opinion of his parents abandoning him and Lincoln?
5. What does Lincoln say about hustling in Scene 4?
6. In Scene 4, how does Lincoln describe some of the people he has hustled money out of?
7. What is the nature of Lincoln's playing with cards at the end of Scene 4?
8. Describe Lincoln and Booth's card game when they use real money near the end of Scene 6.
9. How does Lincoln react when Booth tells him he must move in Scene 6?
10. What is the nature of Lincoln and Booth's card game at the end of Scene 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's use of white pancake makeup in the play evokes memories of many things for the African American community. Examine the significance in the use of this white face paint in the play, namely its ties to the culture and society of the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of value systems in the play. What values do the play's characters hold? Where might they have found these values?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Booth's tendency to emasculate Lincoln in the play. What reasons does he have for doing this? What does this act say about his character?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)