|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How late is the person Booth is waiting for at the beginning of Scene 5?
2. How long do Booth and Lincoln play cards in Scene 5?
3. What does Lincoln say he has lost when he enters the room in Scene 5?
4. How much does Lincoln bet when he and Booth play cards near the end of Scene 6?
5. Who chooses the right card during the first card game in Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lincoln's mood at the beginning of Scene 4.
2. What does Lincoln begin reminiscing about in Scene 4?
3. Describe Lincoln and Booth's first three-card monte game in Scene 6.
4. Describe how Lincoln approaches his three-card monte setup in Scene 4.
5. What does Booth announce to Lincoln in regard to Grace in Scene 6?
6. What does Lincoln say about hustling in Scene 4?
7. Describe the end of the scene after Booth goes into a rage at the end of Scene 6.
8. How does Lincoln react when Booth tells him he must move in Scene 6?
9. What does Lincoln tell Booth regarding finding work in Scene 6?
10. In Scene 4, how does Lincoln describe some of the people he has hustled money out of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of value systems in the play. What values do the play's characters hold? Where might they have found these values?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of Lincoln's job as an impersonator in the play. What significance does this position hold in terms of the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of Booth's "bad part" in the play. What might his reliance on this excuse say about his character?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)