|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the shoes and flannels, what other items does the captain send home for from Pieter?
2. Who tells Jakob about Pieter's charges?
3. Who complained that small pox was not wanted in their home?
4. Who teases Martha about the young dominee?
5. Who tries to hide from Pieter in Kappie's store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nella has a definitive opinion about black and white relationships as indicated in the beginning of the story. Describe this opinion. How does her perspective change by the time we get to the end of the story involving her husband, Pieter? Support all responses with story details.
Essay Topic 2
What was Pieter and Jakob's relationship like when Pieter was a child? How did this relationship change? How did Pieter and Jakob get along after Pieter gave him the bird book? How and why did this relationship change?
Essay Topic 3
What type of relationship did Pieter and Steyn have? How was this relationship strained? How did this relationship affect the story? How did this relationship push Steyn to destroy Pieter?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)