|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teases Martha about the young dominee?
2. Whose daughter brought back a box of shells?
3. Whose daughter collected shells from the coast while on vacation?
4. How many pairs of shoes does Pieter tell the captain he has during his interview?
5. Sophie and the captain followed Pieter to his house after he was found in Slabbert's field. Who was with Pieter in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the possibility that Pieter's upbringing may be the cause for his two selves and the possibility that his ailing relationships with his father and his wife may be the cause for his eventual involvement with Stephanie. Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Paton uses this story to convey a disdain for the apartheid in South Africa. Cite specific details from the story that demonstrate this disdain, an indictment of such hatred and bigotry, as well as providing how such affected the story and its characters' "realness."
Essay Topic 3
Each character's response to Pieter's involvement with Stephanie reveals something about them. Discuss this unveiling for Kappie, Sophie, Koos, Jakob, Pieter's mother, Vorster, and Pieter's younger sister and the captain.
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)