|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Peter praying when looking for him at tea time?
2. While still in his home, to whom does Pieter give a big envelope?
3. On the family picnic outing, who sat in the front seat and held Jakob's hand?
4. Who met Nella and the kids when they returned from her family's farm?
5. According to Sophie, whose grief and shame are greater than her love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pieter is betrayed by Stephanie and Steyn. What are the circumstances behind both betrayals? Also, why does his captain feel the way he does about this turn of events once he realizes Pieter is indeed guilty?
Essay Topic 2
What type of relationship did Pieter and Steyn have? How was this relationship strained? How did this relationship affect the story? How did this relationship push Steyn to destroy Pieter?
Essay Topic 3
Each character's response to Pieter's involvement with Stephanie reveals something about them. Discuss this unveiling for Kappie, Sophie, Koos, Jakob, Pieter's mother, Vorster, and Pieter's younger sister and the captain.
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)