|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who met Nella and the kids when they returned from her family's farm?
2. After his "miracle", who does Pieter tease at his father's home later that evening?
3. Why did Stephanie lose her first job?
4. Where did the black woman die that had small pox?
5. In his office, Pieter awaited a call from Pretoria for more supplies. Who came in that he thought about telling them about Stephanie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick, Smith, Pieter and the captain have all violated the Immorality Act in this story. Discuss each situation and provide a brief analysis of how each character's actions and corresponding outcomes reflect the legal and religious views of the society in which they live, as well as what each incident reveals about each character.
Essay Topic 2
Paton uses this story to convey a disdain for the apartheid in South Africa. Cite specific details from the story that demonstrate this disdain, an indictment of such hatred and bigotry, as well as providing how such affected the story and its characters' "realness."
Essay Topic 3
Nella has a definitive opinion about black and white relationships as indicated in the beginning of the story. Describe this opinion. How does her perspective change by the time we get to the end of the story involving her husband, Pieter? Support all responses with story details.
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)