|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has hatred in his heart toward Pieter, according to Sophie?
2. Who met Nella and the kids when they returned from her family's farm?
3. According to the young dominee, besides Pieter, who may be invited to join a famous rugby team?
4. Where does Pieter go to give the three pounds to help the person he met on the street earlier that day?
5. While still in his home, to whom does Pieter give a big envelope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times Pieter decides to confide in various people but does not. How does this affect the story? What is his relationship with each of them before he is found out and after he is found out?
Essay Topic 2
What type of relationship did Pieter and Steyn have? How was this relationship strained? How did this relationship affect the story? How did this relationship push Steyn to destroy Pieter?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author convey happiness in Chapters 13 and 14? How does this affect the story's pace, tone, etc.? Use details from settings and character interactions to support your responses.
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)