|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to hide from Pieter in Kappie's store?
2. Who sees the letter and the money that Pieter leaves at home and runs to the vacant ground to look for Pieter?
3. Where does Pieter go to give the three pounds to help the person he met on the street earlier that day?
4. After Pieter left his office, who waited for the call to come in from Pretoria?
5. Feeling unclean, who is Pieter worried will want to touch him?
Essay Topic 1
How does the author convey happiness in Chapters 13 and 14? How does this affect the story's pace, tone, etc.? Use details from settings and character interactions to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
What type of relationship did Pieter and Steyn have? How was this relationship strained? How did this relationship affect the story? How did this relationship push Steyn to destroy Pieter?
Essay Topic 3
Explain briefly the Immorality Act. In the case of Smith, in Chapter 6, what is the major concern of most people concerning Smith's actions? How does Pieter view Smith's actions? In response to Smith's actions, what seems to be more of a crime to the people, to Pieter? Is it the violation of the act? The murder of the servant girl and decapitation? Something else? In your opinion, what is defining people's perceptions and views? What is defining Pieter's perceptions or views?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)