|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pieter tease on the phone?
2. Who sees the letter and the money Pieter leaves behind and runs to Slabbert's field to look for Pieter?
3. Why does Kappie refuse to call Pieter by his first name?
4. After finding out who wrote the note pinned to his door, Pieter left his office and went where?
5. Whose daughter collected shells from the coast while on vacation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 9 and 31 Stephanie comes before the magistrate. Compare and contrast each appearance and how it affects her life and that of her child. (Include - what brings her into court each time; what happens in court; and immediately following each court appearance).
Essay Topic 2
Several people make decisions in the first few chapters of the story (Pieter, Nella, Dick, Stephanie, Esther). What do these decisions reveal about each of these characters? What do these decisions reveal about the society in which they live? How do any of these decisions serve as an early indicator of what is to come in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Explain briefly the Immorality Act. In the case of Smith, in Chapter 6, what is the major concern of most people concerning Smith's actions? How does Pieter view Smith's actions? In response to Smith's actions, what seems to be more of a crime to the people, to Pieter? Is it the violation of the act? The murder of the servant girl and decapitation? Something else? In your opinion, what is defining people's perceptions and views? What is defining Pieter's perceptions or views?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)