|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the shoes and flannels, what other items does the captain send home for from Pieter?
2. Who has accused Pieter of a crime?
3. On the street, Pieter speaks with Abraham Kaplan who owns the what?
4. After his "miracle", who does Pieter tease at his father's home later that evening?
5. Why did Stephanie lose her first job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pieter is betrayed by Stephanie and Steyn. What are the circumstances behind both betrayals? Also, why does his captain feel the way he does about this turn of events once he realizes Pieter is indeed guilty?
Essay Topic 2
Paton uses this story to convey a disdain for the apartheid in South Africa. Cite specific details from the story that demonstrate this disdain, an indictment of such hatred and bigotry, as well as providing how such affected the story and its characters' "realness."
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Jakob's decision to take away Pieter's stamp collection affected outcomes. How does this decision and the outcomes parallel with Pieter's decision to become involved with Stephanie and the resulting outcomes?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)