|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teases Martha about the young dominee?
2. Who sees the letter and the money that Pieter leaves at home and runs to the vacant ground to look for Pieter?
3. Who collects, burns and destroys anything of or about Pieter in Jakob's home at his instruction?
4. Who stays alone in the country with his wife after Pieter is sentenced?
5. Besides Pieter's father, Pieter, Nella, and their kids, who else is in the car for the family picnic trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the dichotomy of Pieter's personality symbolize the dichotomy of the country? Support responses with a focus on character interactions and behaviors from the story. For example, Nella is so calm and pleasant on the outside, and yet so judgmental, critical and racist on the inside.
Essay Topic 2
Pieter is betrayed by Stephanie and Steyn. What are the circumstances behind both betrayals? Also, why does his captain feel the way he does about this turn of events once he realizes Pieter is indeed guilty?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Jakob's decision to take away Pieter's stamp collection affected outcomes. How does this decision and the outcomes parallel with Pieter's decision to become involved with Stephanie and the resulting outcomes?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)