|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggested Stephanie be sent away?
2. Who came and told Sophie someone was dead?
3. Who teases Martha about the young dominee?
4. Who found a body dead and bent over The Book?
5. Sophie and the captain followed Pieter to his house after he was found in Slabbert's field. Who was with Pieter in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nella has a definitive opinion about black and white relationships as indicated in the beginning of the story. Describe this opinion. How does her perspective change by the time we get to the end of the story involving her husband, Pieter? Support all responses with story details.
Essay Topic 2
What was Pieter and Jakob's relationship like when Pieter was a child? How did this relationship change? How did Pieter and Jakob get along after Pieter gave him the bird book? How and why did this relationship change?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author convey happiness in Chapters 13 and 14? How does this affect the story's pace, tone, etc.? Use details from settings and character interactions to support your responses.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)