|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item has Stephanie been instructed to put into the clothing of the man she was with in the vacant ground?
2. Who finds Pieter with a gun prepared to kill himself?
3. Why did Stephanie lose her first job?
4. Who leaves a note at the house for Pieter?
5. After the young dominee and Martha share a kiss, who asks Sophie about the wine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Pieter and Jakob's relationship like when Pieter was a child? How did this relationship change? How did Pieter and Jakob get along after Pieter gave him the bird book? How and why did this relationship change?
Essay Topic 2
Explain briefly the Immorality Act. In the case of Smith, in Chapter 6, what is the major concern of most people concerning Smith's actions? How does Pieter view Smith's actions? In response to Smith's actions, what seems to be more of a crime to the people, to Pieter? Is it the violation of the act? The murder of the servant girl and decapitation? Something else? In your opinion, what is defining people's perceptions and views? What is defining Pieter's perceptions or views?
Essay Topic 3
What type of relationship did Pieter and Steyn have? How was this relationship strained? How did this relationship affect the story? How did this relationship push Steyn to destroy Pieter?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)