|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose daughter collected shells from the coast while on vacation?
2. Who wanted to go to Japie about Stephanie, but did not?
3. Who teases Martha about the young dominee?
4. Who gives the young dominee back his ring?
5. What does the young dominee tell Pieter that he might have a duty to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paton uses this story to convey a disdain for the apartheid in South Africa. Cite specific details from the story that demonstrate this disdain, an indictment of such hatred and bigotry, as well as providing how such affected the story and its characters' "realness."
Essay Topic 2
How does the dichotomy of Pieter's personality symbolize the dichotomy of the country? Support responses with a focus on character interactions and behaviors from the story. For example, Nella is so calm and pleasant on the outside, and yet so judgmental, critical and racist on the inside.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 9 and 31 Stephanie comes before the magistrate. Compare and contrast each appearance and how it affects her life and that of her child. (Include - what brings her into court each time; what happens in court; and immediately following each court appearance).
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)