|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says it's too late to find Stephanie a job?
2. Who stays alone in the country with his wife after Pieter is sentenced?
3. According to Sophie, who could not tell a man so now the whole world knew?
4. Who talked with Pieter about getting married even though he is not the marrying kind?
5. Who gives the young dominee back his ring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Pieter and Jakob's relationship like when Pieter was a child? How did this relationship change? How did Pieter and Jakob get along after Pieter gave him the bird book? How and why did this relationship change?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8, Paton has the social welfare department located in the old butchery. Discuss the significance of this location to the department, the community and the political/government atmosphere during these times.
Essay Topic 3
Several people make decisions in the first few chapters of the story (Pieter, Nella, Dick, Stephanie, Esther). What do these decisions reveal about each of these characters? What do these decisions reveal about the society in which they live? How do any of these decisions serve as an early indicator of what is to come in the story?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)