|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who met Nella and the kids when they returned from her family's farm?
2. What is inside the big envelope that Pieter takes down and gives to Sophie?
3. On the family picnic outing, who sat in the front seat and held Jakob's hand?
4. Who does not attend Stephanie's hearing before the magistrate that he attended last time?
5. Who finds Pieter with a gun prepared to kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of relationship did Pieter and Steyn have? How was this relationship strained? How did this relationship affect the story? How did this relationship push Steyn to destroy Pieter?
Essay Topic 2
The new dominee in Chapter 10 delivers a sermon significantly impacting the congregation. What does he say? What is his demeanor when delivering the sermon? What impact do the words and/or the delivery have on Pieter and others of the congregation? Finally, how does the sermon parallel with the racist standards of their society?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, Paton has the social welfare department located in the old butchery. Discuss the significance of this location to the department, the community and the political/government atmosphere during these times.
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)