|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pieter tease on the phone?
2. Abraham Kaplan's daughter, Rachel plays what instrument?
3. Who sees Pieter standing on the street speaking to someone, and then himself salutes Pieter as Pieter walks by him?
4. Who worked with two servants to clean the filth from the small pox in Venterspan?
5. Who suggested Stephanie be sent away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pieter is betrayed by Stephanie and Steyn. What are the circumstances behind both betrayals? Also, why does his captain feel the way he does about this turn of events once he realizes Pieter is indeed guilty?
Essay Topic 2
The new dominee in Chapter 10 delivers a sermon significantly impacting the congregation. What does he say? What is his demeanor when delivering the sermon? What impact do the words and/or the delivery have on Pieter and others of the congregation? Finally, how does the sermon parallel with the racist standards of their society?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 9 and 31 Stephanie comes before the magistrate. Compare and contrast each appearance and how it affects her life and that of her child. (Include - what brings her into court each time; what happens in court; and immediately following each court appearance).
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)