|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who chose to leave Jakob's house rather than never go to Pieter?
2. Who found a body dead and bent over The Book?
3. Where does Pieter go to give the three pounds to help the person he met on the street earlier that day?
4. Who told Pieter about the charges against him?
5. Who has hatred in his heart toward Pieter, according to Sophie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author convey happiness in Chapters 13 and 14? How does this affect the story's pace, tone, etc.? Use details from settings and character interactions to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
After Jakob dies, Pieter's mother and his wife and aunt Sophie band together. What does this new relationship signal in the story, but first, how does it come about since Nella has been sent away by Jakob?
Essay Topic 3
Pieter's mother is woven throughout this story as someone who loves all, unconditionally. How does this character compare with the God portrayed in their religion and how they react to who He is in their lives and who she is to her family and the community?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)