|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pieter's gift bring together?
2. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
3. Who does Sophie confide in that she wishes had never been born when she is discovered in the pantry?
4. Japie tells Pieter that someone wants Stephanie out of Venterspan and keeps hounding him about it. Who is this person?
5. What is the name of the boy chasing the girl that hides in the shadows of the trees in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. The narrator describes the lieutenant as "two men," in Chapter 1. How does the narrator justify such a description?
2. What rugby news does the young dominee telephone Pieter about?
3. Why does Pieter cancel his visit with Kappie after seeing Anna home, and where does he go instead?
4. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
5. How does the news of Pieter's charges affect Frans, Sophie and Pieter's mom?
6. After losing both jobs, what happened when Stephanie went back to court?
7. Why does Frans go to see Sophie at the captain's house?
8. Why does the captain tell Pieter he can't leave him in charge when he goes on leave and who will he leave in charge?
9. After writing and then canceling his letter of resignation, Pieter leaves the office and meets Anna on the street. What do they do?
10. In Chapter 4, what details from the story most likely support the narrator's claim that the lieutenant had different thoughts in his mind about things than others like him did?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pieter is betrayed by Stephanie and Steyn. What are the circumstances behind both betrayals? Also, why does his captain feel the way he does about this turn of events once he realizes Pieter is indeed guilty?
Essay Topic 2
After Jakob dies, Pieter's mother and his wife and aunt Sophie band together. What does this new relationship signal in the story, but first, how does it come about since Nella has been sent away by Jakob?
Essay Topic 3
Each character's response to Pieter's involvement with Stephanie reveals something about them. Discuss this unveiling for Kappie, Sophie, Koos, Jakob, Pieter's mother, Vorster, and Pieter's younger sister and the captain.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)