|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Pieter and his companion drink while at the hotel?
2. What sound terrifies Pieter while he is kneeling at the tree?
3. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after evening church services in Chapter 12, once he decides not to confide in his wife?
4. In Chapter 12, when Pieter and others return for evening church services, who does not stay home?
5. What time is dinner served at cousin Anna's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pieter cancel his visit with Kappie after seeing Anna home, and where does he go instead?
2. Who is Moffie and why does Pieter envy him?
3. Why was the young dominee so sad?
4. Pieter was allowed to go home but what did he find when he got there?
5. Why does Pieter get so upset about Nella's response to his letter?
6. When the captain went to Jakob's home and told him about his son and the charges, how did Jakob respond?
7. Why does Stephanie talk to Pieter on the street?
8. What happened when Pieter's chief came to his office while he was waiting on the call for supplies?
9. When Japie brought Pieter back home, what did Pieter do?
10. What involvement do Pieter's mother and aunt have in the social welfare working in their town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Jakob dies, Pieter's mother and his wife and aunt Sophie band together. What does this new relationship signal in the story, but first, how does it come about since Nella has been sent away by Jakob?
Essay Topic 2
Dick, Smith, Pieter and the captain have all violated the Immorality Act in this story. Discuss each situation and provide a brief analysis of how each character's actions and corresponding outcomes reflect the legal and religious views of the society in which they live, as well as what each incident reveals about each character.
Essay Topic 3
What type of relationship did Pieter and Steyn have? How was this relationship strained? How did this relationship affect the story? How did this relationship push Steyn to destroy Pieter?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)