|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sentenced to death for violating the immorality act, but not necessarily for murder?
2. What street goes to the "black people's location"?
3. In Chapter 15, Stephanie first seeks Pieter out in whose home?
4. How old is Pieter when he is forbidden to continue to collect stamps?
5. Who does the lieutenant secretly confide in about the young man's trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is going on at Jakob's birthday party?
2. Why does the captain tell Pieter he can't leave him in charge when he goes on leave and who will he leave in charge?
3. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
4. What happens when Pieter takes Stephanie the money so she will not have to break the law to get money?
5. Pieter tried to go on with his life as usual. How?
6. After Pieter saw his captain with Captain Jooste, he was called to the captain's office. What happened?
7. Why does Pieter go to the park and what are his thoughts while there?
8. What happens when Pieter finds Stephanie alone before the two constables arrive to take her away in Chapter 7?
9. When Japie brought Pieter back home, what did Pieter do?
10. How does the news of Pieter's charges affect Frans, Sophie and Pieter's mom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 9 and 31 Stephanie comes before the magistrate. Compare and contrast each appearance and how it affects her life and that of her child. (Include - what brings her into court each time; what happens in court; and immediately following each court appearance).
Essay Topic 2
The new dominee in Chapter 10 delivers a sermon significantly impacting the congregation. What does he say? What is his demeanor when delivering the sermon? What impact do the words and/or the delivery have on Pieter and others of the congregation? Finally, how does the sermon parallel with the racist standards of their society?
Essay Topic 3
Jakob likes control. Analyze his need to be in control through specific incidents with his wife, Sophie, and Pieter before and after Pieter is found out.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)