|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sat in the Park?
2. What does the lieutenant pick up off the floor of a cell during an inspection with Steyn?
3. After rugby practice, Pieter goes for a visit with whom?
4. Why does Pieter kneel at the blue-gum tree?
5. What is the name of Pieter's house boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pieter finds Stephanie alone before the two constables arrive to take her away in Chapter 7?
2. The narrator describes the lieutenant as "two men," in Chapter 1. How does the narrator justify such a description?
3. Pieter was allowed to go home but what did he find when he got there?
4. What is ironic about Japie telling Pieter he may come to him for marriage advice?
5. Why does Kappie call Pieter lieutenant even though Pieter insists that Kappie call him by his first name?
6. Why does Pieter get so upset about Nella's response to his letter?
7. After losing both jobs, what happened when Stephanie went back to court?
8. Who is Moffie and why does Pieter envy him?
9. Why does Pieter feel unclean after returning home to Nella from taking Stephanie the money for a lawyer?
10. What happened with small pox in Venterspan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Jakob dies, Pieter's mother and his wife and aunt Sophie band together. What does this new relationship signal in the story, but first, how does it come about since Nella has been sent away by Jakob?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author convey happiness in Chapters 13 and 14? How does this affect the story's pace, tone, etc.? Use details from settings and character interactions to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Jakob likes control. Analyze his need to be in control through specific incidents with his wife, Sophie, and Pieter before and after Pieter is found out.
This section contains 1,638 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)