Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pieter consider his desire for Stephanie?
2. After finding the note, Pieter heated water. Why?
3. Pieter vowed to give his life to God if there was no _____ in the dark.
4. Before the note, what did Pieter plan to do to cleanse his corruption?
5. What time is dinner served at cousin Anna's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pieter ask Johannes about Esther?
2. When Pieter finds Sophie in the pantry alone during the birthday party, what happens?
3. After writing and then canceling his letter of resignation, Pieter leaves the office and meets Anna on the street. What do they do?
4. When Japie brought Pieter back home, what did Pieter do?
5. In Chapter 12, after evening church services Pieter tried to convey his need to his wife for more of her love and attention to keep him from temptation. What happens?
6. Why does Pieter get so upset about Nella's response to his letter?
7. Pieter was allowed to go home but what did he find when he got there?
8. On the second day, in fear of being found out, how does Pieter perceive the people around him?
9. Why does Stephanie talk to Pieter on the street?
10. Why does Japie's revelation about the note that Pieter found pinned to his door cause Pieter relief?
Several people make decisions in the first few chapters of the story (Pieter, Nella, Dick, Stephanie, Esther). What do these decisions reveal about each of these characters? What do these decisions reveal about the society in which they live? How do any of these decisions serve as an early indicator of what is to come in the story?
In Chapters 9 and 31 Stephanie comes before the magistrate. Compare and contrast each appearance and how it affects her life and that of her child. (Include - what brings her into court each time; what happens in court; and immediately following each court appearance).
How does the author convey happiness in Chapters 13 and 14? How does this affect the story's pace, tone, etc.? Use details from settings and character interactions to support your responses.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)