|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 21, who said to Pieter, "duty is duty"?
2. Who is sentenced to death for violating the immorality act, but not necessarily for murder?
3. Who does the lieutenant secretly confide in about the young man's trouble?
4. According to the narrator, great strength calls a man to honor while great _______________ calls a man to dishonor.
5. What time is dinner served at cousin Anna's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who brought the charge against Pieter and how did he prove it was Pieter?
2. When Pieter went to see the old woman, Esther, after Stephanie's prison time ended, what happened?
3. What rugby news does the young dominee telephone Pieter about?
4. When Japie brought Pieter back home, what did Pieter do?
5. After writing and then canceling his letter of resignation, Pieter leaves the office and meets Anna on the street. What do they do?
6. How does Pieter help Vorster after he sees Vorster's note?
7. Why does Pieter go to the park and what are his thoughts while there?
8. Why does Stephanie have power now over the young man that chased her into the shadows of the trees?
9. According to Kappie, why does Pieter's neighbor, old Herman, spit and turn from him when he sees Pieter?
10. After being with Stephanie a second time, the lieutenant is even more upset with himself. How does he respond to being asked to be a diaken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jakob likes control. Analyze his need to be in control through specific incidents with his wife, Sophie, and Pieter before and after Pieter is found out.
Essay Topic 2
In the story, Jakob's decision to take away Pieter's stamp collection affected outcomes. How does this decision and the outcomes parallel with Pieter's decision to become involved with Stephanie and the resulting outcomes?
Essay Topic 3
How does the dichotomy of Pieter's personality symbolize the dichotomy of the country? Support responses with a focus on character interactions and behaviors from the story. For example, Nella is so calm and pleasant on the outside, and yet so judgmental, critical and racist on the inside.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)