|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the aunt Pieter's mom puts on the phone to talk to him in Chapter 6 after his encounter with his father about the stamps?
2. Who plays music to help Pieter calm down?
3. In Chapter 23, Pieter starts thinking that if he does not get a miracle he will do what?
4. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
5. What does Pieter get from the study that they kept for visitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sophie discover about the captain and Stephanie after they left Pieter at his house?
2. What involvement do Pieter's mother and aunt have in the social welfare working in their town?
3. In Chapter 4, what details from the story most likely support the narrator's claim that the lieutenant had different thoughts in his mind about things than others like him did?
4. What happened with small pox in Venterspan?
5. Why does Pieter feel unclean after returning home to Nella from taking Stephanie the money for a lawyer?
6. Who is Moffie and why does Pieter envy him?
7. Who is Abraham Kaplan?
8. After being with Stephanie the first time, why is Pieter terrified by the sound of a twig cracking a note on his door?
9. Why does Pieter go to the park and what are his thoughts while there?
10. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain briefly the Immorality Act. In the case of Smith, in Chapter 6, what is the major concern of most people concerning Smith's actions? How does Pieter view Smith's actions? In response to Smith's actions, what seems to be more of a crime to the people, to Pieter? Is it the violation of the act? The murder of the servant girl and decapitation? Something else? In your opinion, what is defining people's perceptions and views? What is defining Pieter's perceptions or views?
Essay Topic 2
Pieter is betrayed by Stephanie and Steyn. What are the circumstances behind both betrayals? Also, why does his captain feel the way he does about this turn of events once he realizes Pieter is indeed guilty?
Essay Topic 3
The new dominee in Chapter 10 delivers a sermon significantly impacting the congregation. What does he say? What is his demeanor when delivering the sermon? What impact do the words and/or the delivery have on Pieter and others of the congregation? Finally, how does the sermon parallel with the racist standards of their society?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)