Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pieter consider his desire for Stephanie?
2. After finding the note, Pieter heated water. Why?
3. Pieter vowed to give his life to God if there was no _____ in the dark.
4. Before the note, what did Pieter plan to do to cleanse his corruption?
5. What time is dinner served at cousin Anna's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pieter ask Johannes about Esther?
2. When Pieter finds Sophie in the pantry alone during the birthday party, what happens?
3. After writing and then canceling his letter of resignation, Pieter leaves the office and meets Anna on the street. What do they do?
4. When Japie brought Pieter back home, what did Pieter do?
5. In Chapter 12, after evening church services Pieter tried to convey his need to his wife for more of her love and attention to keep him from temptation. What happens?
6. Why does Pieter get so upset about Nella's response to his letter?
7. Pieter was allowed to go home but what did he find when he got there?
8. On the second day, in fear of being found out, how does Pieter perceive the people around him?
9. Why does Stephanie talk to Pieter on the street?
10. Why does Japie's revelation about the note that Pieter found pinned to his door cause Pieter relief?
Essay Topic 1
Paton uses this story to convey a disdain for the apartheid in South Africa. Cite specific details from the story that demonstrate this disdain, an indictment of such hatred and bigotry, as well as providing how such affected the story and its characters' "realness."
Essay Topic 2
Pieter's mother is woven throughout this story as someone who loves all, unconditionally. How does this character compare with the God portrayed in their religion and how they react to who He is in their lives and who she is to her family and the community?
Essay Topic 3
How does the dichotomy of Pieter's personality symbolize the dichotomy of the country? Support responses with a focus on character interactions and behaviors from the story. For example, Nella is so calm and pleasant on the outside, and yet so judgmental, critical and racist on the inside.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)