|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound terrifies Pieter while he is kneeling at the tree?
2. What does the narrator put aside to write this story?
3. After the constables took Stephanie back to the vehicle, who stayed behind?
4. In Chapter 9, who is already at Stephanie's trial when Sophie arrives?
5. Who does the lieutenant secretly confide in about the young man's trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the captain tell Pieter he can't leave him in charge when he goes on leave and who will he leave in charge?
2. How does the news of Pieter's charges affect Frans, Sophie and Pieter's mom?
3. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
4. Why was the young dominee so sad?
5. What is the history of Pieter and his father regarding stamps?
6. After Pieter saw his captain with Captain Jooste, he was called to the captain's office. What happened?
7. Who went on the van Vlaanderen family picnic and who went bird watching during this picnic?
8. Why does Japie's revelation about the note that Pieter found pinned to his door cause Pieter relief?
9. Why does Pieter cancel his visit with Kappie after seeing Anna home, and where does he go instead?
10. After being with Stephanie a second time, the lieutenant is even more upset with himself. How does he respond to being asked to be a diaken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paton uses this story to convey a disdain for the apartheid in South Africa. Cite specific details from the story that demonstrate this disdain, an indictment of such hatred and bigotry, as well as providing how such affected the story and its characters' "realness."
Essay Topic 2
In the story, Jakob's decision to take away Pieter's stamp collection affected outcomes. How does this decision and the outcomes parallel with Pieter's decision to become involved with Stephanie and the resulting outcomes?
Essay Topic 3
What was Pieter and Jakob's relationship like when Pieter was a child? How did this relationship change? How did Pieter and Jakob get along after Pieter gave him the bird book? How and why did this relationship change?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)