Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who is already at Stephanie's trial when Sophie arrives?
2. Besides Pieter, who is angry about being born?
3. What does the note say that is pinned to Pieter's door when he comes home from the field?
4. What sound terrifies Pieter while he is kneeling at the tree?
5. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after evening church services in Chapter 12, once he decides not to confide in his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is going on at Jakob's birthday party?
2. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
3. What does Pieter's mom do after Jakob dies?
4. According to Chapter 6, who is Smith?
5. Why does Pieter cancel his visit with Kappie after seeing Anna home, and where does he go instead?
6. How does Pieter cleanse the smell of kakiebos from his greatcoat after being with Stephanie, and how does he plan to cleanse himself from such corruption?
7. After losing both jobs, what happened when Stephanie went back to court?
8. Who went on the van Vlaanderen family picnic and who went bird watching during this picnic?
9. Why does Pieter feel unclean after returning home to Nella from taking Stephanie the money for a lawyer?
10. After being with Stephanie the first time, why is Pieter terrified by the sound of a twig cracking a note on his door?
In Chapter 8, Paton has the social welfare department located in the old butchery. Discuss the significance of this location to the department, the community and the political/government atmosphere during these times.
Each character's response to Pieter's involvement with Stephanie reveals something about them. Discuss this unveiling for Kappie, Sophie, Koos, Jakob, Pieter's mother, Vorster, and Pieter's younger sister and the captain.
In the story, Jakob's decision to take away Pieter's stamp collection affected outcomes. How does this decision and the outcomes parallel with Pieter's decision to become involved with Stephanie and the resulting outcomes?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)