|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Japie see Pieter with the night Pieter first breaks his vows?
2. Who suggests Pieter take Nella away for a holiday?
3. Who has a drink with Pieter at the Royal Hotel?
4. What does Jakob suggest that he and Pieter search for on a trip to the family farm?
5. In Chapter 23, Pieter starts thinking that if he does not get a miracle he will do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pieter cleanse the smell of kakiebos from his greatcoat after being with Stephanie, and how does he plan to cleanse himself from such corruption?
2. Why does Pieter go to the park and what are his thoughts while there?
3. Describe the lieutenant and his wife, Nella's, opposing reactions to Dick's pursuit of a black woman.
4. Why does Pieter ask Johannes about Esther?
5. Why was the young dominee so sad?
6. How does Pieter help Vorster after he sees Vorster's note?
7. What happens when Pieter takes Stephanie the money so she will not have to break the law to get money?
8. According to Chapter 6, who is Smith?
9. In Chapter 10, what is going on at Sunday service?
10. Why does Pieter feel unclean after returning home to Nella from taking Stephanie the money for a lawyer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1How does the author convey happiness in Chapters 13 and 14? How does this affect the story's pace, tone, etc.? Use details from settings and character interactions to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2Each character's response to Pieter's involvement with Stephanie reveals something about them. Discuss this unveiling for Kappie, Sophie, Koos, Jakob, Pieter's mother, Vorster, and Pieter's younger sister and the captain.
Essay Topic 3Nella has a definitive opinion about black and white relationships as indicated in the beginning of the story. Describe this opinion. How does her perspective change by the time we get to the end of the story involving her husband, Pieter? Support all responses with story details.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)