|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sat in the Park?
2. What is the name of the girl the lieutenant hears moving to hide in the shadows of trees in Chapter 2?
3. Who spit and turned away from Pieter instead of greeting him?
4. Upon returning from evening church services, Pieter kisses Nella. What does she do after he smiles at her?
5. In Chapter 3 when the lieutenant asks the young man how many times before he has approached a black woman as he did Stephanie, what is the young man's answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nella respond to Pieter once they are home with the kids from her family's farm?
2. Why was the young dominee so sad?
3. What does Pieter's mom do after Jakob dies?
4. When Pieter finds Sophie in the pantry alone during the birthday party, what happens?
5. What is the history of Pieter and his father regarding stamps?
6. Who went on the van Vlaanderen family picnic and who went bird watching during this picnic?
7. Why does Frans go to see Sophie at the captain's house?
8. Why does Pieter feel unclean after returning home to Nella from taking Stephanie the money for a lawyer?
9. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
10. Where does Japie find Pieter and what is Pieter doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jakob likes control. Analyze his need to be in control through specific incidents with his wife, Sophie, and Pieter before and after Pieter is found out.
Essay Topic 2
Explain briefly the Immorality Act. In the case of Smith, in Chapter 6, what is the major concern of most people concerning Smith's actions? How does Pieter view Smith's actions? In response to Smith's actions, what seems to be more of a crime to the people, to Pieter? Is it the violation of the act? The murder of the servant girl and decapitation? Something else? In your opinion, what is defining people's perceptions and views? What is defining Pieter's perceptions or views?
Essay Topic 3
Pieter is betrayed by Stephanie and Steyn. What are the circumstances behind both betrayals? Also, why does his captain feel the way he does about this turn of events once he realizes Pieter is indeed guilty?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)