|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What racist classmate does Pieter envy?
2. Who does Pieter cancel visiting with after having drinks at the hotel?
3. Who has a drink with Pieter at the Royal Hotel?
4. Who came by Pieter's office to speak about money he owed?
5. Who does Sophie confide in that she wishes had never been born when she is discovered in the pantry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pieter refuse dinner at his father's the first night after he has been with Stephanie?
2. What is the history of Pieter and his father regarding stamps?
3. The narrator describes the lieutenant as "two men," in Chapter 1. How does the narrator justify such a description?
4. According to Chapter 6, who is Smith?
5. How does the news of Pieter's charges affect Frans, Sophie and Pieter's mom?
6. Why does Pieter yell "can't you read" to Steyn?
7. Why does Pieter get so upset about Nella's response to his letter?
8. After being with Stephanie a second time, the lieutenant is even more upset with himself. How does he respond to being asked to be a diaken?
9. In Chapter 10, what is going on at Sunday service?
10. When Pieter finds Sophie in the pantry alone during the birthday party, what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several people make decisions in the first few chapters of the story (Pieter, Nella, Dick, Stephanie, Esther). What do these decisions reveal about each of these characters? What do these decisions reveal about the society in which they live? How do any of these decisions serve as an early indicator of what is to come in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain briefly the Immorality Act. In the case of Smith, in Chapter 6, what is the major concern of most people concerning Smith's actions? How does Pieter view Smith's actions? In response to Smith's actions, what seems to be more of a crime to the people, to Pieter? Is it the violation of the act? The murder of the servant girl and decapitation? Something else? In your opinion, what is defining people's perceptions and views? What is defining Pieter's perceptions or views?
Essay Topic 3
Nella has a definitive opinion about black and white relationships as indicated in the beginning of the story. Describe this opinion. How does her perspective change by the time we get to the end of the story involving her husband, Pieter? Support all responses with story details.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)