|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sentenced to death for violating the immorality act, but not necessarily for murder?
2. Upon returning from evening church services, Pieter kisses Nella. What does she do after he smiles at her?
3. What sound terrifies Pieter while he is kneeling at the tree?
4. Who always has big birthday celebrations and is having a party in Chapter 13?
5. According to Jakob in Chapter 15, who thinks the phalarope is a bird of the coast?
Short Essay Questions
1. After being with Stephanie a second time, the lieutenant is even more upset with himself. How does he respond to being asked to be a diaken?
2. Why does Pieter refuse dinner at his father's the first night after he has been with Stephanie?
3. What did Sophie discover about the captain and Stephanie after they left Pieter at his house?
4. What involvement do Pieter's mother and aunt have in the social welfare working in their town?
5. How does Pieter cleanse the smell of kakiebos from his greatcoat after being with Stephanie, and how does he plan to cleanse himself from such corruption?
6. What happened when Pieter's chief came to his office while he was waiting on the call for supplies?
7. What does Pieter's mom do after Jakob dies?
8. In Chapter 4, what details from the story most likely support the narrator's claim that the lieutenant had different thoughts in his mind about things than others like him did?
9. What happens when Pieter takes Stephanie the money so she will not have to break the law to get money?
10. After writing and then canceling his letter of resignation, Pieter leaves the office and meets Anna on the street. What do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several people make decisions in the first few chapters of the story (Pieter, Nella, Dick, Stephanie, Esther). What do these decisions reveal about each of these characters? What do these decisions reveal about the society in which they live? How do any of these decisions serve as an early indicator of what is to come in the story?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 9 and 31 Stephanie comes before the magistrate. Compare and contrast each appearance and how it affects her life and that of her child. (Include - what brings her into court each time; what happens in court; and immediately following each court appearance).
Essay Topic 3
How does the dichotomy of Pieter's personality symbolize the dichotomy of the country? Support responses with a focus on character interactions and behaviors from the story. For example, Nella is so calm and pleasant on the outside, and yet so judgmental, critical and racist on the inside.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)