|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the owner of the hotel (Abraham's) brother?
2. Trying to find out if anyone in the black community knew what he had done, who did Pieter ask his house boy about?
3. Who prepares lunch for Pieter when he goes home to eat?
4. Who spit and turned away from Pieter instead of greeting him?
5. Who has a drink with Pieter at the Royal Hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pieter cleanse the smell of kakiebos from his greatcoat after being with Stephanie, and how does he plan to cleanse himself from such corruption?
2. What did Sophie discover about the captain and Stephanie after they left Pieter at his house?
3. Why does Frans go to see Sophie at the captain's house?
4. How does the news of Pieter's charges affect Frans, Sophie and Pieter's mom?
5. After writing and then canceling his letter of resignation, Pieter leaves the office and meets Anna on the street. What do they do?
6. Describe the lieutenant and his wife, Nella's, opposing reactions to Dick's pursuit of a black woman.
7. Who brought the charge against Pieter and how did he prove it was Pieter?
8. Why does Pieter refuse dinner at his father's the first night after he has been with Stephanie?
9. What news does Japie bring about Stephanie and Abraham Kaplan?
10. What is going on at Jakob's birthday party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several people make decisions in the first few chapters of the story (Pieter, Nella, Dick, Stephanie, Esther). What do these decisions reveal about each of these characters? What do these decisions reveal about the society in which they live? How do any of these decisions serve as an early indicator of what is to come in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Nella has a definitive opinion about black and white relationships as indicated in the beginning of the story. Describe this opinion. How does her perspective change by the time we get to the end of the story involving her husband, Pieter? Support all responses with story details.
Essay Topic 3
The new dominee in Chapter 10 delivers a sermon significantly impacting the congregation. What does he say? What is his demeanor when delivering the sermon? What impact do the words and/or the delivery have on Pieter and others of the congregation? Finally, how does the sermon parallel with the racist standards of their society?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)