|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, when Pieter and others return for evening church services, who does not stay home?
2. Who goes to watch Pieter at rugby practice?
3. Who has a heart-to-heart conversation in the kitchen pantry?
4. What racist classmate does Pieter envy?
5. Pieter's aunt and who else collect stamps for him during the forbidden years declared by his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pieter cleanse the smell of kakiebos from his greatcoat after being with Stephanie, and how does he plan to cleanse himself from such corruption?
2. Pieter tried to go on with his life as usual. How?
3. What happened when Pieter's chief came to his office while he was waiting on the call for supplies?
4. What is ironic about Japie telling Pieter he may come to him for marriage advice?
5. How does the news of Pieter's charges affect Frans, Sophie and Pieter's mom?
6. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
7. In Chapter 12, after evening church services Pieter tried to convey his need to his wife for more of her love and attention to keep him from temptation. What happens?
8. How does Pieter help Vorster after he sees Vorster's note?
9. According to Kappie, why does Pieter's neighbor, old Herman, spit and turn from him when he sees Pieter?
10. Why does Pieter ask Johannes about Esther?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paton uses this story to convey a disdain for the apartheid in South Africa. Cite specific details from the story that demonstrate this disdain, an indictment of such hatred and bigotry, as well as providing how such affected the story and its characters' "realness."
Essay Topic 2
The new dominee in Chapter 10 delivers a sermon significantly impacting the congregation. What does he say? What is his demeanor when delivering the sermon? What impact do the words and/or the delivery have on Pieter and others of the congregation? Finally, how does the sermon parallel with the racist standards of their society?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 9 and 31 Stephanie comes before the magistrate. Compare and contrast each appearance and how it affects her life and that of her child. (Include - what brings her into court each time; what happens in court; and immediately following each court appearance).
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)