|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pieter kneel at the blue-gum tree?
2. What does the note say that is pinned to Pieter's door when he comes home from the field?
3. Upon returning from evening church services, Pieter kisses Nella. What does she do after he smiles at her?
4. With whom, during an argument, does Pieter declare that he gives when he is given to?
5. Where was Pieter when he confessed to being angry about being born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the news of Pieter's charges affect Frans, Sophie and Pieter's mom?
2. What happens with Stephanie during her first trial?
3. Why does Pieter get so upset about Nella's response to his letter?
4. The narrator describes the lieutenant as "two men," in Chapter 1. How does the narrator justify such a description?
5. How does Pieter help Vorster after he sees Vorster's note?
6. Why does Stephanie come to Pieter's house?
7. Why does Frans go to see Sophie at the captain's house?
8. Why does Pieter refuse dinner at his father's the first night after he has been with Stephanie?
9. What did Sophie discover about the captain and Stephanie after they left Pieter at his house?
10. Who is Moffie and why does Pieter envy him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times Pieter decides to confide in various people but does not. How does this affect the story? What is his relationship with each of them before he is found out and after he is found out?
Essay Topic 2
In the story, Jakob's decision to take away Pieter's stamp collection affected outcomes. How does this decision and the outcomes parallel with Pieter's decision to become involved with Stephanie and the resulting outcomes?
Essay Topic 3
What type of relationship did Pieter and Steyn have? How was this relationship strained? How did this relationship affect the story? How did this relationship push Steyn to destroy Pieter?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)