|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spit and turned away from Pieter instead of greeting him?
2. Pieter's aunt and who else collect stamps for him during the forbidden years declared by his father?
3. Who always has big birthday celebrations and is having a party in Chapter 13?
4. Who is president of the welfare committee?
5. Pieter went through the fence to a farm called ______ and laid in the field with the animals.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Pieter went to see the old woman, Esther, after Stephanie's prison time ended, what happened?
2. How does Pieter help Vorster after he sees Vorster's note?
3. In Chapter 4, what details from the story most likely support the narrator's claim that the lieutenant had different thoughts in his mind about things than others like him did?
4. Why does Pieter cancel his visit with Kappie after seeing Anna home, and where does he go instead?
5. What happens with Stephanie during her first trial?
6. Why does Pieter ask Johannes about Esther?
7. After being with Stephanie a second time, the lieutenant is even more upset with himself. How does he respond to being asked to be a diaken?
8. What happens when Pieter takes Stephanie the money so she will not have to break the law to get money?
9. Why does Pieter feel unclean after returning home to Nella from taking Stephanie the money for a lawyer?
10. Describe the lieutenant and his wife, Nella's, opposing reactions to Dick's pursuit of a black woman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the dichotomy of Pieter's personality symbolize the dichotomy of the country? Support responses with a focus on character interactions and behaviors from the story. For example, Nella is so calm and pleasant on the outside, and yet so judgmental, critical and racist on the inside.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the possibility that Pieter's upbringing may be the cause for his two selves and the possibility that his ailing relationships with his father and his wife may be the cause for his eventual involvement with Stephanie. Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Jakob's decision to take away Pieter's stamp collection affected outcomes. How does this decision and the outcomes parallel with Pieter's decision to become involved with Stephanie and the resulting outcomes?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)