|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what childhood friend of Pieter's sees Sophie at the bus terminal and is quite excited?
2. Japie tells Pieter that someone wants Stephanie out of Venterspan and keeps hounding him about it. Who is this person?
3. What did Pieter consider his desire for Stephanie?
4. Where was Pieter when he confessed to being angry about being born?
5. After rugby practice, Pieter goes for a visit with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the young dominee so sad?
2. Pieter tried to go on with his life as usual. How?
3. When Pieter went to see the old woman, Esther, after Stephanie's prison time ended, what happened?
4. According to Chapter 6, who is Smith?
5. Describe the lieutenant and his wife, Nella's, opposing reactions to Dick's pursuit of a black woman.
6. After hiding the note he found on his door, what are Pieter's thoughts about what he has done with Stephanie?
7. Why does Pieter get so upset about Nella's response to his letter?
8. Why does Pieter cancel his visit with Kappie after seeing Anna home, and where does he go instead?
9. Why does Pieter feel unclean after returning home to Nella from taking Stephanie the money for a lawyer?
10. Why does Stephanie come to Pieter's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the dichotomy of Pieter's personality symbolize the dichotomy of the country? Support responses with a focus on character interactions and behaviors from the story. For example, Nella is so calm and pleasant on the outside, and yet so judgmental, critical and racist on the inside.
Essay Topic 2
Explain briefly the Immorality Act. In the case of Smith, in Chapter 6, what is the major concern of most people concerning Smith's actions? How does Pieter view Smith's actions? In response to Smith's actions, what seems to be more of a crime to the people, to Pieter? Is it the violation of the act? The murder of the servant girl and decapitation? Something else? In your opinion, what is defining people's perceptions and views? What is defining Pieter's perceptions or views?
Essay Topic 3
Jakob likes control. Analyze his need to be in control through specific incidents with his wife, Sophie, and Pieter before and after Pieter is found out.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)