|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides Pieter, who is angry about being born?
2. What kind of gift from Pieter has everyone apprehensive?
3. What is the name of the boy chasing the girl that hides in the shadows of the trees in Chapter 2?
4. Who does the lieutenant secretly confide in about the young man's trouble?
5. Pieter went through the fence to a farm called ______ and laid in the field with the animals.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Kappie, why does Pieter's neighbor, old Herman, spit and turn from him when he sees Pieter?
2. Why does Stephanie come to Pieter's house?
3. What is the history of Pieter and his father regarding stamps?
4. Why does Pieter refuse dinner at his father's the first night after he has been with Stephanie?
5. Why does Pieter ask Johannes about Esther?
6. Who had a falling out during the picnic, and why?
7. Describe the lieutenant and his wife, Nella's, opposing reactions to Dick's pursuit of a black woman.
8. The narrator describes the lieutenant as "two men," in Chapter 1. How does the narrator justify such a description?
9. What news does Japie bring about Stephanie and Abraham Kaplan?
10. Who is Moffie and why does Pieter envy him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jakob likes control. Analyze his need to be in control through specific incidents with his wife, Sophie, and Pieter before and after Pieter is found out.
Essay Topic 2
Nella has a definitive opinion about black and white relationships as indicated in the beginning of the story. Describe this opinion. How does her perspective change by the time we get to the end of the story involving her husband, Pieter? Support all responses with story details.
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Jakob's decision to take away Pieter's stamp collection affected outcomes. How does this decision and the outcomes parallel with Pieter's decision to become involved with Stephanie and the resulting outcomes?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)