|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pieter guess is the new social welfare officer?
2. What does Pieter get from the study that they kept for visitors?
3. In Chapter 4, who tries to give the lieutenant a present, but he refuses unless he pays for it?
4. In Chapter 8, what childhood friend of Pieter's sees Sophie at the bus terminal and is quite excited?
5. What do Pieter and his companion drink while at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Pieter was allowed to go home but what did he find when he got there?
2. What happens when Pieter finds Stephanie alone before the two constables arrive to take her away in Chapter 7?
3. When Pieter finds Sophie in the pantry alone during the birthday party, what happens?
4. What is ironic about Japie telling Pieter he may come to him for marriage advice?
5. What news does Japie bring about Stephanie and Abraham Kaplan?
6. How does the news of Pieter's charges affect Frans, Sophie and Pieter's mom?
7. Why does Stephanie have power now over the young man that chased her into the shadows of the trees?
8. According to Chapter 6, who is Smith?
9. Why does Stephanie come to Pieter's house?
10. Who had a falling out during the picnic, and why?
Essay Topic 1
What type of relationship did Pieter and Steyn have? How was this relationship strained? How did this relationship affect the story? How did this relationship push Steyn to destroy Pieter?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8, Paton has the social welfare department located in the old butchery. Discuss the significance of this location to the department, the community and the political/government atmosphere during these times.
Essay Topic 3
Explain briefly the Immorality Act. In the case of Smith, in Chapter 6, what is the major concern of most people concerning Smith's actions? How does Pieter view Smith's actions? In response to Smith's actions, what seems to be more of a crime to the people, to Pieter? Is it the violation of the act? The murder of the servant girl and decapitation? Something else? In your opinion, what is defining people's perceptions and views? What is defining Pieter's perceptions or views?
This section contains 1,710 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)