|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sentenced to death for violating the immorality act, but not necessarily for murder?
2. Who does Pieter guess is the new social welfare officer?
3. Who wrote the note Pieter found pinned to his door?
4. In Chapter 14, what does Sophie remember being afraid Pieter would fall from when he was a sick boy in her care?
5. What book of the bible does Jakob read from before the family leaves the party in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. After hiding the note he found on his door, what are Pieter's thoughts about what he has done with Stephanie?
2. What did Sophie discover about the captain and Stephanie after they left Pieter at his house?
3. How does the news of Pieter's charges affect Frans, Sophie and Pieter's mom?
4. After Pieter saw his captain with Captain Jooste, he was called to the captain's office. What happened?
5. What happens with Stephanie during her first trial?
6. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
7. Where does Japie find Pieter and what is Pieter doing?
8. Pieter tried to go on with his life as usual. How?
9. In Chapter 12, after evening church services Pieter tried to convey his need to his wife for more of her love and attention to keep him from temptation. What happens?
10. What is ironic about Japie telling Pieter he may come to him for marriage advice?
Essay Topic 1
What was Pieter and Jakob's relationship like when Pieter was a child? How did this relationship change? How did Pieter and Jakob get along after Pieter gave him the bird book? How and why did this relationship change?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 9 and 31 Stephanie comes before the magistrate. Compare and contrast each appearance and how it affects her life and that of her child. (Include - what brings her into court each time; what happens in court; and immediately following each court appearance).
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Jakob's decision to take away Pieter's stamp collection affected outcomes. How does this decision and the outcomes parallel with Pieter's decision to become involved with Stephanie and the resulting outcomes?
This section contains 1,706 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)