|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the native constable that accompanies Pieter to find Stephanie in Chapter 7?
2. With whom, during an argument, does Pieter declare that he gives when he is given to?
3. In Chapter 9, who is already at Stephanie's trial when Sophie arrives?
4. What does the lieutenant pick up off the floor of a cell during an inspection with Steyn?
5. Who has a heart-to-heart conversation in the kitchen pantry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pieter yell "can't you read" to Steyn?
2. Pieter tried to go on with his life as usual. How?
3. After Pieter saw his captain with Captain Jooste, he was called to the captain's office. What happened?
4. Why does Japie's revelation about the note that Pieter found pinned to his door cause Pieter relief?
5. What is ironic about Japie telling Pieter he may come to him for marriage advice?
6. Why does Pieter ask Johannes about Esther?
7. Why does Pieter decide not to confide in the new dominee about Stephanie? Later, why not confide in Nella? Who does he decide to confide in?
8. After losing both jobs, what happened when Stephanie went back to court?
9. Who went on the van Vlaanderen family picnic and who went bird watching during this picnic?
10. Who brought the charge against Pieter and how did he prove it was Pieter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times Pieter decides to confide in various people but does not. How does this affect the story? What is his relationship with each of them before he is found out and after he is found out?
Essay Topic 2
Jakob likes control. Analyze his need to be in control through specific incidents with his wife, Sophie, and Pieter before and after Pieter is found out.
Essay Topic 3
Each character's response to Pieter's involvement with Stephanie reveals something about them. Discuss this unveiling for Kappie, Sophie, Koos, Jakob, Pieter's mother, Vorster, and Pieter's younger sister and the captain.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)