|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The lieutenant is not just the young man's friend, he is also his what?
2. In Chapter 1, the narrator describes running to save a man, who shuts the door of ____________ instead of accepting the help.
3. After rugby practice, Pieter goes for a visit with whom?
4. What book of the bible does Jakob read from before the family leaves the party in Chapter 14?
5. In Chapter 23, Pieter starts thinking that if he does not get a miracle he will do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the captain went to Jakob's home and told him about his son and the charges, how did Jakob respond?
2. Where does Japie find Pieter and what is Pieter doing?
3. What is ironic about Japie telling Pieter he may come to him for marriage advice?
4. When Japie brought Pieter back home, what did Pieter do?
5. After being with Stephanie a second time, the lieutenant is even more upset with himself. How does he respond to being asked to be a diaken?
6. Why does Pieter get so upset about Nella's response to his letter?
7. On the second day, in fear of being found out, how does Pieter perceive the people around him?
8. Why does Pieter feel unclean after returning home to Nella from taking Stephanie the money for a lawyer?
9. Who went on the van Vlaanderen family picnic and who went bird watching during this picnic?
10. What happens with Stephanie during her first trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each character's response to Pieter's involvement with Stephanie reveals something about them. Discuss this unveiling for Kappie, Sophie, Koos, Jakob, Pieter's mother, Vorster, and Pieter's younger sister and the captain.
Essay Topic 2
After Jakob dies, Pieter's mother and his wife and aunt Sophie band together. What does this new relationship signal in the story, but first, how does it come about since Nella has been sent away by Jakob?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, Paton has the social welfare department located in the old butchery. Discuss the significance of this location to the department, the community and the political/government atmosphere during these times.
This section contains 1,782 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)