|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Pieter's gift bring together?
(a) Pieter and Sophie.
(b) Peter and Kappie.
(c) Pieter and Nella.
(d) Pieter and Jakob.
2. In Chapter 4, who tells the lieutenant to find the child if he wants to find Stephanie?
(c) Stephanie's neighbor.
(d) His captain.
3. Pieter went through the fence to a farm called ______ and laid in the field with the animals.
(b) Black lands.
(c) Too Far.
4. In Chapter 1, the narrator describes running to save a man, who shuts the door of ____________ instead of accepting the help.
(a) His house.
(b) His soul.
(c) His heart.
(d) His office.
5. In Chapter 3 when the lieutenant asks the young man how many times before he has approached a black woman as he did Stephanie, what is the young man's answer?
(d) A lot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the lieutenant pick up off the floor of a cell during an inspection with Steyn?
2. On his sickbed in Chapter 17, Jakob is visited by Dominee Stander, the captain, and _________________.
3. Who does Pieter cancel visiting with after having drinks at the hotel?
4. What sport do Pieter and the new dominee have in common?
5. What time is dinner served at cousin Anna's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nella respond to Pieter once they are home with the kids from her family's farm?
2. Why does Pieter refuse dinner at his father's the first night after he has been with Stephanie?
3. What happens when Pieter takes Stephanie the money so she will not have to break the law to get money?
4. What is ironic about Japie telling Pieter he may come to him for marriage advice?
5. What happened when Pieter's chief came to his office while he was waiting on the call for supplies?
6. After being with Stephanie the first time, why is Pieter terrified by the sound of a twig cracking a note on his door?
7. According to Chapter 6, who is Smith?
8. Who brought the charge against Pieter and how did he prove it was Pieter?
9. When the captain went to Jakob's home and told him about his son and the charges, how did Jakob respond?
10. According to Kappie, why does Pieter's neighbor, old Herman, spit and turn from him when he sees Pieter?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)