|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the note say that is pinned to Pieter's door when he comes home from the field?
(a) Your dad is worse.
(b) Nella back tomorrow.
(c) Sorry-missed you.
(d) I saw you.
2. What street goes to the "black people's location"?
(a) Pretorius Street.
(b) Main Street.
(c) Slabbert's Road.
(d) van Onselen Street.
3. Trying to find out if anyone in the black community knew what he had done, who did Pieter ask his house boy about?
(d) Old man from low country.
4. According to the judge in Chapter 8, what does Stephanie have to do to prevent the court from possibly taking her child?
(a) Stop breaking the law.
(c) Find work.
(d) Get married.
5. In Chapter 9, who is already at Stephanie's trial when Sophie arrives?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sophie confide in that she wishes had never been born when she is discovered in the pantry?
2. The young dominee ends his sermon with these words, "I am come that ye might have life, and have it more _______, saith the Lord."
3. What does Jakob suggest that he and Pieter search for on a trip to the family farm?
4. Pieter's aunt and who else collect stamps for him during the forbidden years declared by his father?
5. Who has a heart-to-heart conversation in the kitchen pantry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stephanie talk to Pieter on the street?
2. Why does Pieter yell "can't you read" to Steyn?
3. The narrator describes the lieutenant as "two men," in Chapter 1. How does the narrator justify such a description?
4. Why was the young dominee so sad?
5. Pieter was allowed to go home but what did he find when he got there?
6. In Chapter 10, what is going on at Sunday service?
7. Why does the captain tell Pieter he can't leave him in charge when he goes on leave and who will he leave in charge?
8. What happened when Pieter's chief came to his office while he was waiting on the call for supplies?
9. Why does Pieter ask Johannes about Esther?
10. What happens with Stephanie during her first trial?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)