|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sophie confide in that she wishes had never been born when she is discovered in the pantry?
(b) Her sister.
(d) Her brother.
2. Who does Pieter warn his houseboy about because they are "idle and break the law"?
3. What do Pieter and his companion drink while at the hotel?
4. What does the narrator put aside to write this story?
5. What does the lieutenant pick up off the floor of a cell during an inspection with Steyn?
(b) Dirty plate.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3 when the lieutenant asks the young man how many times before he has approached a black woman as he did Stephanie, what is the young man's answer?
2. In Chapter 14, what does Sophie remember being afraid Pieter would fall from when he was a sick boy in her care?
3. What does Pieter get from the study that they kept for visitors?
4. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after evening church services in Chapter 12, once he decides not to confide in his wife?
5. In Chapter 8, what childhood friend of Pieter's sees Sophie at the bus terminal and is quite excited?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pieter refuse dinner at his father's the first night after he has been with Stephanie?
2. Why does Japie's revelation about the note that Pieter found pinned to his door cause Pieter relief?
3. The narrator describes the lieutenant as "two men," in Chapter 1. How does the narrator justify such a description?
4. Who had a falling out during the picnic, and why?
5. How does Pieter help Vorster after he sees Vorster's note?
6. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
7. After being with Stephanie the first time, why is Pieter terrified by the sound of a twig cracking a note on his door?
8. Why does Frans go to see Sophie at the captain's house?
9. What happened when Pieter's chief came to his office while he was waiting on the call for supplies?
10. Why does Pieter get so upset about Nella's response to his letter?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)