|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the judge in Chapter 8, what does Stephanie have to do to prevent the court from possibly taking her child?
(a) Get married.
(b) Find work.
(d) Stop breaking the law.
2. Pieter vowed to give his life to God if there was no _____ in the dark.
3. Who always has big birthday celebrations and is having a party in Chapter 13?
4. Who spit and turned away from Pieter instead of greeting him?
(a) Matthew Kaplan.
(b) Herman Geyer.
(c) Abraham Kaplan.
(d) Dominee Stander.
5. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after evening church services in Chapter 12, once he decides not to confide in his wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. After rugby practice, Pieter goes for a visit with whom?
2. Japie tells Pieter that someone wants Stephanie out of Venterspan and keeps hounding him about it. Who is this person?
3. In Chapter 8, what childhood friend of Pieter's sees Sophie at the bus terminal and is quite excited?
4. What sport do Pieter and the new dominee have in common?
5. After the constables took Stephanie back to the vehicle, who stayed behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Japie's revelation about the note that Pieter found pinned to his door cause Pieter relief?
2. Pieter tried to go on with his life as usual. How?
3. Pieter was allowed to go home but what did he find when he got there?
4. After writing and then canceling his letter of resignation, Pieter leaves the office and meets Anna on the street. What do they do?
5. What is ironic about Japie telling Pieter he may come to him for marriage advice?
6. Who had a falling out during the picnic, and why?
7. What does Pieter's mom do after Jakob dies?
8. After being with Stephanie the first time, why is Pieter terrified by the sound of a twig cracking a note on his door?
9. When Pieter went to see the old woman, Esther, after Stephanie's prison time ended, what happened?
10. After being with Stephanie a second time, the lieutenant is even more upset with himself. How does he respond to being asked to be a diaken?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)