|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Pieter they have found another job for Stephanie?
2. In Chapter 4, who tries to give the lieutenant a present, but he refuses unless he pays for it?
(b) Kappie's father.
3. In Chapter 8, what childhood friend of Pieter's sees Sophie at the bus terminal and is quite excited?
4. What street goes to the "black people's location"?
(a) Main Street.
(b) Slabbert's Road.
(c) Pretorius Street.
(d) van Onselen Street.
5. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after evening church services in Chapter 12, once he decides not to confide in his wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Pieter put the note he found pinned to his house door?
2. Who does Pieter's gift bring together?
3. According to the judge in Chapter 8, what does Stephanie have to do to prevent the court from possibly taking her child?
4. Pieter vowed to give his life to God if there was no _____ in the dark.
5. Who does Sophie confide in that she wishes had never been born when she is discovered in the pantry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pieter go to the park and what are his thoughts while there?
2. What does Pieter's mom do after Jakob dies?
3. Why does Frans go to see Sophie at the captain's house?
4. When Pieter went to see the old woman, Esther, after Stephanie's prison time ended, what happened?
5. What involvement do Pieter's mother and aunt have in the social welfare working in their town?
6. When Pieter finds Sophie in the pantry alone during the birthday party, what happens?
7. Who went on the van Vlaanderen family picnic and who went bird watching during this picnic?
8. How does Nella respond to Pieter once they are home with the kids from her family's farm?
9. After being with Stephanie a second time, the lieutenant is even more upset with himself. How does he respond to being asked to be a diaken?
10. Why does Japie's revelation about the note that Pieter found pinned to his door cause Pieter relief?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)