|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Pieter warn his houseboy about because they are "idle and break the law"?
2. Who came by Pieter's office to speak about money he owed?
3. In Chapter 14, what does Sophie remember being afraid Pieter would fall from when he was a sick boy in her care?
(a) A tree.
(b) A wall.
(c) The porch.
(d) The bed.
4. Japie tells Pieter that someone wants Stephanie out of Venterspan and keeps hounding him about it. Who is this person?
(c) The magistrate.
5. According to the narrator, great strength calls a man to honor while great _______________ calls a man to dishonor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Pieter put the note he found pinned to his house door?
2. Where is the social welfare department located?
3. Pieter vowed to give his life to God if there was no _____ in the dark.
4. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
5. What kind of gift from Pieter has everyone apprehensive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sophie discover about the captain and Stephanie after they left Pieter at his house?
2. Why does Pieter feel unclean after returning home to Nella from taking Stephanie the money for a lawyer?
3. When Pieter finds Sophie in the pantry alone during the birthday party, what happens?
4. Pieter was allowed to go home but what did he find when he got there?
5. How does the news of Pieter's charges affect Frans, Sophie and Pieter's mom?
6. Why does Frans go to see Sophie at the captain's house?
7. Why does Japie's revelation about the note that Pieter found pinned to his door cause Pieter relief?
8. The narrator describes the lieutenant as "two men," in Chapter 1. How does the narrator justify such a description?
9. After Pieter saw his captain with Captain Jooste, he was called to the captain's office. What happened?
10. After hiding the note he found on his door, what are Pieter's thoughts about what he has done with Stephanie?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)