|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 21, who said to Pieter, "duty is duty"?
(c) The captain.
2. In Chapter 12, when Pieter and others return for evening church services, who does not stay home?
3. Upon returning from evening church services, Pieter kisses Nella. What does she do after he smiles at her?
4. Who does the lieutenant secretly confide in about the young man's trouble?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His wife.
(c) His captain.
(d) His father.
5. What is the name of the native constable that accompanies Pieter to find Stephanie in Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pieter cancel visiting with after having drinks at the hotel?
2. What does Pieter get from the study that they kept for visitors?
3. Who always has big birthday celebrations and is having a party in Chapter 13?
4. Who sat in the Park?
5. After dinner and a smoke, who does Pieter wait for in the dark in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sophie discover about the captain and Stephanie after they left Pieter at his house?
2. What happened with small pox in Venterspan?
3. After writing and then canceling his letter of resignation, Pieter leaves the office and meets Anna on the street. What do they do?
4. Who is Abraham Kaplan?
5. Pieter was allowed to go home but what did he find when he got there?
6. Why does Pieter ask Johannes about Esther?
7. What is ironic about Japie telling Pieter he may come to him for marriage advice?
8. After being with Stephanie a second time, the lieutenant is even more upset with himself. How does he respond to being asked to be a diaken?
9. Why does Stephanie have power now over the young man that chased her into the shadows of the trees?
10. After being with Stephanie the first time, why is Pieter terrified by the sound of a twig cracking a note on his door?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)