|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator put aside to write this story?
2. Who goes to watch Pieter at rugby practice?
3. What is the name of Pieter's house boy?
4. In Chapter 3 when the lieutenant asks the young man how many times before he has approached a black woman as he did Stephanie, what is the young man's answer?
(c) A lot.
5. In Chapter 4, who tries to give the lieutenant a present, but he refuses unless he pays for it?
(b) Kappie's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Pieter's sisters is in love?
2. Where did Pieter put the note he found pinned to his house door?
3. What favor does the old black man in Chapter 7 ask for when the constables come looking for Stephanie?
4. What book of the bible does Jakob read from before the family leaves the party in Chapter 14?
5. Who sat in the Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the lieutenant and his wife, Nella's, opposing reactions to Dick's pursuit of a black woman.
2. After losing both jobs, what happened when Stephanie went back to court?
3. Why does Kappie call Pieter lieutenant even though Pieter insists that Kappie call him by his first name?
4. When the captain went to Jakob's home and told him about his son and the charges, how did Jakob respond?
5. In Chapter 4, what details from the story most likely support the narrator's claim that the lieutenant had different thoughts in his mind about things than others like him did?
6. When Pieter finds Sophie in the pantry alone during the birthday party, what happens?
7. Why does Pieter ask Johannes about Esther?
8. According to Chapter 6, who is Smith?
9. How does Pieter help Vorster after he sees Vorster's note?
10. Where does Japie find Pieter and what is Pieter doing?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)