|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The young dominee ends his sermon with these words, "I am come that ye might have life, and have it more _______, saith the Lord."
2. Who is president of the welfare committee?
(a) Pieter's father.
(b) Pieter's aunt.
(c) Pieter's mother.
(d) Pieter's wife.
3. What time is dinner served at cousin Anna's home?
(a) 8:00 p.m.
(b) 6:00 p.m.
(c) 6:30 p.m.
(d) 7:00 p.m.
4. According to the judge in Chapter 8, what does Stephanie have to do to prevent the court from possibly taking her child?
(a) Find work.
(b) Get married.
(d) Stop breaking the law.
5. Who sat in the Park?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 21, who said to Pieter, "duty is duty"?
2. Who plays music to help Pieter calm down?
3. In Chapter 12, when Pieter and others return for evening church services, who does not stay home?
4. Who is sentenced to death for violating the immorality act, but not necessarily for murder?
5. Who does Pieter warn his houseboy about because they are "idle and break the law"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pieter refuse dinner at his father's the first night after he has been with Stephanie?
2. What happened with small pox in Venterspan?
3. What did Sophie discover about the captain and Stephanie after they left Pieter at his house?
4. Who is Moffie and why does Pieter envy him?
5. In Chapter 10, what is going on at Sunday service?
6. Why was the young dominee so sad?
7. What is ironic about Japie telling Pieter he may come to him for marriage advice?
8. Why does Pieter yell "can't you read" to Steyn?
9. Pieter tried to go on with his life as usual. How?
10. What does Pieter's mom do after Jakob dies?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)