|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, the narrator describes running to save a man, who shuts the door of ____________ instead of accepting the help.
(a) His house.
(b) His office.
(c) His soul.
(d) His heart.
2. Where was Pieter when he confessed to being angry about being born?
(b) Kitchen Pantry.
3. With whom, during an argument, does Pieter declare that he gives when he is given to?
(a) His mother.
(d) His father.
4. What racist classmate does Pieter envy?
5. Who tells Pieter they have found another job for Stephanie?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator put aside to write this story?
2. What kind of gift from Pieter has everyone apprehensive?
3. Who is the new dominee assisting Dominee Stander?
4. Upon returning from evening church services, Pieter kisses Nella. What does she do after he smiles at her?
5. What does the note say that is pinned to Pieter's door when he comes home from the field?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pieter decide not to confide in the new dominee about Stephanie? Later, why not confide in Nella? Who does he decide to confide in?
2. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
3. What did Sophie discover about the captain and Stephanie after they left Pieter at his house?
4. Why does Stephanie talk to Pieter on the street?
5. In Chapter 12, after evening church services Pieter tried to convey his need to his wife for more of her love and attention to keep him from temptation. What happens?
6. Why does Frans go to see Sophie at the captain's house?
7. Why does the captain tell Pieter he can't leave him in charge when he goes on leave and who will he leave in charge?
8. How does Pieter help Vorster after he sees Vorster's note?
9. What involvement do Pieter's mother and aunt have in the social welfare working in their town?
10. How does the news of Pieter's charges affect Frans, Sophie and Pieter's mom?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)