|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the girl the lieutenant hears moving to hide in the shadows of trees in Chapter 2?
2. Who offers to fetch Pieter another pipe?
3. In Chapter 12, when Pieter and others return for evening church services, who does not stay home?
4. In Chapter 9, who is already at Stephanie's trial when Sophie arrives?
5. After the constables took Stephanie back to the vehicle, who stayed behind?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refuses to acknowledge that he might be ill and need bed rest?
2. Before the note, what did Pieter plan to do to cleanse his corruption?
3. In Chapter 23, Pieter starts thinking that if he does not get a miracle he will do what?
4. What kind of gift from Pieter has everyone apprehensive?
5. What racist classmate does Pieter envy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Japie's revelation about the note that Pieter found pinned to his door cause Pieter relief?
2. How does Pieter cleanse the smell of kakiebos from his greatcoat after being with Stephanie, and how does he plan to cleanse himself from such corruption?
3. Who is Abraham Kaplan?
4. Describe the lieutenant and his wife, Nella's, opposing reactions to Dick's pursuit of a black woman.
5. Why does Pieter refuse dinner at his father's the first night after he has been with Stephanie?
6. Why does Kappie call Pieter lieutenant even though Pieter insists that Kappie call him by his first name?
7. Who brought the charge against Pieter and how did he prove it was Pieter?
8. Why does Pieter yell "can't you read" to Steyn?
9. Why does Pieter get so upset about Nella's response to his letter?
10. The narrator describes the lieutenant as "two men," in Chapter 1. How does the narrator justify such a description?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)