Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pieter consider his desire for Stephanie?
(a) A sickness.
(b) An inconvenience.
(c) Something expected because of his wife's behavior.
(d) Something that would pass.
2. After finding the note, Pieter heated water. Why?
(a) To cook.
(b) For tea.
(c) To bathe.
(d) For cleaning.
3. Pieter vowed to give his life to God if there was no _____ in the dark.
4. Before the note, what did Pieter plan to do to cleanse his corruption?
(b) Smoke a cigarette.
(d) Drink more.
5. What time is dinner served at cousin Anna's home?
(a) 8:00 p.m.
(b) 6:30 p.m.
(c) 7:00 p.m.
(d) 6:00 p.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. What racist classmate does Pieter envy?
2. The lieutenant is not just the young man's friend, he is also his what?
3. What sport do Pieter and the new dominee have in common?
4. When Stephanie is fired, who does she go to for help?
5. Who does Pieter guess is the new social welfare officer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pieter ask Johannes about Esther?
2. When Pieter finds Sophie in the pantry alone during the birthday party, what happens?
3. After writing and then canceling his letter of resignation, Pieter leaves the office and meets Anna on the street. What do they do?
4. When Japie brought Pieter back home, what did Pieter do?
5. In Chapter 12, after evening church services Pieter tried to convey his need to his wife for more of her love and attention to keep him from temptation. What happens?
6. Why does Pieter get so upset about Nella's response to his letter?
7. Pieter was allowed to go home but what did he find when he got there?
8. On the second day, in fear of being found out, how does Pieter perceive the people around him?
9. Why does Stephanie talk to Pieter on the street?
10. Why does Japie's revelation about the note that Pieter found pinned to his door cause Pieter relief?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)