|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Pieter when he confessed to being angry about being born?
(b) Kitchen Pantry.
2. Besides Pieter, who is angry about being born?
3. In Chapter 9, who is already at Stephanie's trial when Sophie arrives?
4. What is the name of the native constable that accompanies Pieter to find Stephanie in Chapter 7?
5. Who refuses to acknowledge that he might be ill and need bed rest?
Short Answer Questions
1. The night after Pieter sleeps with Stephanie, who is at the front desk when Pieter arrives for work?
2. What does Pieter get from the study that they kept for visitors?
3. Where is the social welfare department located?
4. On his sickbed in Chapter 17, Jakob is visited by Dominee Stander, the captain, and _________________.
5. Before the note, what did Pieter plan to do to cleanse his corruption?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sophie discover about the captain and Stephanie after they left Pieter at his house?
2. When the captain went to Jakob's home and told him about his son and the charges, how did Jakob respond?
3. Who had a falling out during the picnic, and why?
4. What involvement do Pieter's mother and aunt have in the social welfare working in their town?
5. Why does Stephanie have power now over the young man that chased her into the shadows of the trees?
6. Why does Pieter go to the park and what are his thoughts while there?
7. Who brought the charge against Pieter and how did he prove it was Pieter?
8. How does Nella respond to Pieter once they are home with the kids from her family's farm?
9. Why does the captain tell Pieter he can't leave him in charge when he goes on leave and who will he leave in charge?
10. After writing and then canceling his letter of resignation, Pieter leaves the office and meets Anna on the street. What do they do?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)