|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is known as the Lion of the North?
2. Pieter vowed to give his life to God if there was no _____ in the dark.
3. What does the note say that is pinned to Pieter's door when he comes home from the field?
(a) Nella back tomorrow.
(b) I saw you.
(c) Your dad is worse.
(d) Sorry-missed you.
4. What sound terrifies Pieter while he is kneeling at the tree?
(a) A gun shot.
(b) A cracked twig.
(c) A crashing sound.
(d) A scream.
5. The young dominee ends his sermon with these words, "I am come that ye might have life, and have it more _______, saith the Lord."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pieter's gift bring together?
2. After dinner and a smoke, who does Pieter wait for in the dark in Chapter 19?
3. Who tells Pieter they have found another job for Stephanie?
4. How old is Pieter when he is forbidden to continue to collect stamps?
5. In Chapter 8, what childhood friend of Pieter's sees Sophie at the bus terminal and is quite excited?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
2. According to Kappie, why does Pieter's neighbor, old Herman, spit and turn from him when he sees Pieter?
3. After being with Stephanie the first time, why is Pieter terrified by the sound of a twig cracking a note on his door?
4. What happened with small pox in Venterspan?
5. What did Sophie discover about the captain and Stephanie after they left Pieter at his house?
6. Who had a falling out during the picnic, and why?
7. Why does Pieter cancel his visit with Kappie after seeing Anna home, and where does he go instead?
8. What involvement do Pieter's mother and aunt have in the social welfare working in their town?
9. Who brought the charge against Pieter and how did he prove it was Pieter?
10. When the captain went to Jakob's home and told him about his son and the charges, how did Jakob respond?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)