|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 15, Stephanie first seeks Pieter out in whose home?
(a) His father's home.
(b) Japie's home.
(c) His friend Kappie's home.
(d) His home.
2. Who goes to watch Pieter at rugby practice?
3. Who is known as the Lion of the North?
4. In Chapter 1, the narrator describes running to save a man, who shuts the door of ____________ instead of accepting the help.
(a) His heart.
(b) His soul.
(c) His office.
(d) His house.
5. Besides Pieter, who is angry about being born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sophie confide in that she wishes had never been born when she is discovered in the pantry?
2. When Stephanie is fired, who does she go to for help?
3. Who is the new dominee assisting Dominee Stander?
4. Pieter went through the fence to a farm called ______ and laid in the field with the animals.
5. In Chapter 3 when the lieutenant asks the young man how many times before he has approached a black woman as he did Stephanie, what is the young man's answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the captain tell Pieter he can't leave him in charge when he goes on leave and who will he leave in charge?
2. After Pieter saw his captain with Captain Jooste, he was called to the captain's office. What happened?
3. After hiding the note he found on his door, what are Pieter's thoughts about what he has done with Stephanie?
4. Who went on the van Vlaanderen family picnic and who went bird watching during this picnic?
5. In Chapter 12, after evening church services Pieter tried to convey his need to his wife for more of her love and attention to keep him from temptation. What happens?
6. What is the history of Pieter and his father regarding stamps?
7. Pieter was allowed to go home but what did he find when he got there?
8. Why does Stephanie come to Pieter's house?
9. What happened when Pieter's chief came to his office while he was waiting on the call for supplies?
10. What does Pieter's mom do after Jakob dies?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)