|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, great strength calls a man to honor while great _______________ calls a man to dishonor.
2. In Chapter 4, who tells the lieutenant to find the child if he wants to find Stephanie?
(c) Stephanie's neighbor.
(d) His captain.
3. What did Pieter consider his desire for Stephanie?
(a) An inconvenience.
(b) Something expected because of his wife's behavior.
(c) Something that would pass.
(d) A sickness.
4. Who suggests Pieter take Nella away for a holiday?
(b) Pieter's mother.
5. Trying to find out if anyone in the black community knew what he had done, who did Pieter ask his house boy about?
(b) Old man from low country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sat in the Park?
2. What does Jakob suggest that he and Pieter search for on a trip to the family farm?
3. Who offers to fetch Pieter another pipe?
4. Who wrote the note Pieter found pinned to his door?
5. Who is sentenced to death for violating the immorality act, but not necessarily for murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Abraham Kaplan?
2. Pieter was allowed to go home but what did he find when he got there?
3. In Chapter 12, after evening church services Pieter tried to convey his need to his wife for more of her love and attention to keep him from temptation. What happens?
4. What happens when Pieter takes Stephanie the money so she will not have to break the law to get money?
5. What is ironic about Japie telling Pieter he may come to him for marriage advice?
6. Where does Japie find Pieter and what is Pieter doing?
7. When the captain went to Jakob's home and told him about his son and the charges, how did Jakob respond?
8. According to Chapter 6, who is Smith?
9. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
10. In Chapter 10, what is going on at Sunday service?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)