|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Pieter consider his desire for Stephanie?
(a) An inconvenience.
(b) A sickness.
(c) Something that would pass.
(d) Something expected because of his wife's behavior.
2. In Chapter 4, who tries to give the lieutenant a present, but he refuses unless he pays for it?
(d) Kappie's father.
3. Who suggests Pieter take Nella away for a holiday?
(d) Pieter's mother.
4. The young dominee ends his sermon with these words, "I am come that ye might have life, and have it more _______, saith the Lord."
5. What is the name of the native constable that accompanies Pieter to find Stephanie in Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refuses to acknowledge that he might be ill and need bed rest?
2. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after evening church services in Chapter 12, once he decides not to confide in his wife?
3. Who does Pieter cancel visiting with after having drinks at the hotel?
4. What favor does the old black man in Chapter 7 ask for when the constables come looking for Stephanie?
5. Besides Pieter, who is angry about being born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pieter decide not to confide in the new dominee about Stephanie? Later, why not confide in Nella? Who does he decide to confide in?
2. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
3. According to Chapter 6, who is Smith?
4. In Chapter 4, what details from the story most likely support the narrator's claim that the lieutenant had different thoughts in his mind about things than others like him did?
5. Why does Pieter get so upset about Nella's response to his letter?
6. What is the history of Pieter and his father regarding stamps?
7. What is going on at Jakob's birthday party?
8. How does Pieter help Vorster after he sees Vorster's note?
9. According to Kappie, why does Pieter's neighbor, old Herman, spit and turn from him when he sees Pieter?
10. How does Nella respond to Pieter once they are home with the kids from her family's farm?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)