|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Japie see Pieter with the night Pieter first breaks his vows?
2. What kind of gift from Pieter has everyone apprehensive?
(a) A gun.
(b) A picture.
(c) A hat.
(d) A book.
3. Who spit and turned away from Pieter instead of greeting him?
(a) Herman Geyer.
(b) Matthew Kaplan.
(c) Dominee Stander.
(d) Abraham Kaplan.
4. Whose written letter under the door at home upsets Pieter upon reading it?
(a) The captain's.
5. On his sickbed in Chapter 17, Jakob is visited by Dominee Stander, the captain, and _________________.
(a) Dominee Vos.
(b) Officer Steyn.
(c) Sybrand Wessel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plays music to help Pieter calm down?
2. Jokingly, what does Japie promise one night to seek out Pieter's advice on?
3. Who does Pieter warn his houseboy about because they are "idle and break the law"?
4. What did Pieter consider his desire for Stephanie?
5. Who is president of the welfare committee?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Japie brought Pieter back home, what did Pieter do?
2. Why does Kappie call Pieter lieutenant even though Pieter insists that Kappie call him by his first name?
3. In Chapter 10, what is going on at Sunday service?
4. Who went on the van Vlaanderen family picnic and who went bird watching during this picnic?
5. What did Sophie discover about the captain and Stephanie after they left Pieter at his house?
6. Who is Abraham Kaplan?
7. Why does Stephanie talk to Pieter on the street?
8. What happens when Pieter takes Stephanie the money so she will not have to break the law to get money?
9. Why does the captain tell Pieter he can't leave him in charge when he goes on leave and who will he leave in charge?
10. What happens at Pieter's sentencing?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)