|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who complained that small pox was not wanted in their home?
2. Who wished to have been made a woman?
3. To whom is the big envelope addressed?
(a) The captain.
4. Why did Stephanie lose her second job?
(a) Her employer died.
(b) Her child was ill and she missed work.
(c) She quit.
(d) She was fired.
5. Who sees Pieter standing on the street speaking to someone, and then himself salutes Pieter as Pieter walks by him?
(a) Sergeant Fourie.
6. Who does Sophie wish had written her nephew's story instead of herself?
(c) No one.
(d) Pieter's mom.
7. Who does Pieter stop to speak with on the street that has only one pound of money left?
8. Who convinces the black community to get the small pox vaccine?
(a) The young dominee.
9. Who talked with Pieter about getting married even though he is not the marrying kind?
10. Who collects, burns and destroys anything of or about Pieter in Jakob's home at his instruction?
(d) Pieter's mom.
11. Who does Jakob send to Nella after being told about Pieter's arrest and the charges?
(c) The captain.
(d) The young dominee.
12. According to Sophie, who could not tell a man so now the whole world knew?
13. Who finds Pieter with a gun prepared to kill himself?
(d) The captain.
14. After returning home, bathing the kids, and being with Pieter, what does Nella discover that is broken?
(a) The stove.
(b) The front room window.
(c) Pieter's pipe.
(d) Her favorite bowl.
15. What is inside the big envelope that Pieter takes down and gives to Sophie?
(a) Pieter's will.
(b) A note.
(c) The deed to the house.
(d) A thick black book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pieter have lunch with just before returning to work and seeing his captain with Jooste?
2. Whose bird did Pieter tell to come now and sing?
3. What book does Jakob cross out Pieter's name from while the captain watches?
4. Where does Pieter go to give the three pounds to help the person he met on the street earlier that day?
5. Who tries to hide from Pieter in Kappie's store?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)