|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes the secret book to Nella?
(a) Pieter's mom.
(b) The captain.
2. What book does Jakob cross out Pieter's name from while the captain watches?
(a) The bird book.
(b) The bible.
(c) The stamp collection book.
(d) The family book.
3. While still in his home, to whom does Pieter give a big envelope?
(c) His captain.
4. Once home after his arrest, who comes from the kitchen smiling at Pieter?
5. Who stopped by Pieter's office at the police station to pay him a pound toward the loan Pieter gave him?
6. According to Sophie, who could not tell a man so now the whole world knew?
7. What item has Stephanie been instructed to put into the clothing of the man she was with in the vacant ground?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A small stone.
(c) A marked coin.
(d) A shell.
8. Who finds Stephanie a job at the hotel?
(b) Pieter's mom.
9. After finding out who wrote the note pinned to his door, Pieter left his office and went where?
(a) Kappie's store.
(c) Old butcher shop.
(d) Post office.
10. In Chapter 27, Apie wants Pieter to talk to Sophie about whom?
11. On the family picnic outing, who sat in the front seat and held Jakob's hand?
(a) Frans' son.
(b) Pieter's daughter.
(c) Kappie's niece.
(d) Pieter's son.
12. After returning home, bathing the kids, and being with Pieter, what does Nella discover that is broken?
(a) The front room window.
(b) Pieter's pipe.
(c) The stove.
(d) Her favorite bowl.
13. Who says it's too late to find Stephanie a job?
(c) The magistrate.
(d) Pieter's mom.
14. Who is on leave in Natal?
(a) The captain.
15. Who leaves a note at the house for Pieter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Feeling unclean, who is Pieter worried will want to touch him?
2. Where does Pieter go to give the three pounds to help the person he met on the street earlier that day?
3. Who chose to leave Jakob's house rather than never go to Pieter?
4. Besides Pieter's father, Pieter, Nella, and their kids, who else is in the car for the family picnic trip?
5. Who considers Elisabet Wagenaar one of the world's most stupid women?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)