|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stays alone in the country with his wife after Pieter is sentenced?
(d) The captain.
2. Who complained that small pox was not wanted in their home?
3. After Pieter left his office, who waited for the call to come in from Pretoria?
(b) The captain.
4. Sophie and the captain followed Pieter to his house after he was found in Slabbert's field. Who was with Pieter in the house?
5. Who does Pieter tease on the phone?
(a) His wife.
(b) His aunt.
(c) The young dominee.
(d) His sister Marha.
6. After returning home, bathing the kids, and being with Pieter, what does Nella discover that is broken?
(a) Pieter's pipe.
(b) Her favorite bowl.
(c) The stove.
(d) The front room window.
7. What does the young dominee tell Pieter that he might have a duty to be?
(a) A good listener.
(b) A diaken.
(c) A captain.
(d) A patient man.
8. Who took Sybrand Wessels to Japie's office and made fun of him about the hook?
9. On the family picnic outing, who sat in the front seat and held Jakob's hand?
(a) Kappie's niece.
(b) Pieter's son.
(c) Frans' son.
(d) Pieter's daughter.
10. Who thought that neither Pieter nor Nella had ever been safe in love?
(b) Pieter's mother.
11. Why does Kappie refuse to call Pieter by his first name?
(c) He was told not to.
12. Feeling unclean, who is Pieter worried will want to touch him?
(a) His mom.
(b) His wife.
(c) His kids.
(d) His aunt.
13. Who did Pieter first ask about once he returned home with Japie from Slabbert's field?
(a) His mother.
(b) His wife.
(c) His father.
(d) His kids.
14. Whose bird did Pieter tell to come now and sing?
15. According to Sophie, whose grief and shame are greater than her love?
(c) Her own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jakob send to Nella after being told about Pieter's arrest and the charges?
2. After his "miracle", who does Pieter tease at his father's home later that evening?
3. On the street, Pieter speaks with Abraham Kaplan who owns the what?
4. Once home after his arrest, who comes from the kitchen smiling at Pieter?
5. Who told Pieter about the charges against him?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)