|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
2. What is the name of the boy chasing the girl that hides in the shadows of the trees in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 9, who is already at Stephanie's trial when Sophie arrives?
4. In Chapter 23, Pieter starts thinking that if he does not get a miracle he will do what?
(a) Tell his wife.
(b) Leave town.
(c) Kill himself.
(d) Tell his captain.
5. Who has a heart-to-heart conversation in the kitchen pantry?
(a) Pieter and Sophie.
(b) Martha and Pieter.
(c) Pieter and his mom.
(d) Frans and his wife.
6. Where was Pieter when he confessed to being angry about being born?
(b) Kitchen Pantry.
7. What does Jakob suggest that he and Pieter search for on a trip to the family farm?
(a) The phalarope.
(b) New servants.
(c) A car for Nella.
(d) More land.
8. How old is Pieter when he is forbidden to continue to collect stamps?
9. What book of the bible does Jakob read from before the family leaves the party in Chapter 14?
10. In Chapter 3 when the lieutenant asks the young man how many times before he has approached a black woman as he did Stephanie, what is the young man's answer?
(d) A lot.
11. In Chapter 4, who tells the lieutenant to find the child if he wants to find Stephanie?
(a) His captain.
(b) Stephanie's neighbor.
12. In Chapter 1, the narrator describes running to save a man, who shuts the door of ____________ instead of accepting the help.
(a) His heart.
(b) His office.
(c) His house.
(d) His soul.
13. Whose written letter under the door at home upsets Pieter upon reading it?
(b) The captain's.
14. Who does Pieter guess is the new social welfare officer?
15. The night after Pieter sleeps with Stephanie, who is at the front desk when Pieter arrives for work?
(b) The captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Pieter put the note he found pinned to his house door?
2. Who is the owner of the hotel (Abraham's) brother?
3. Who came by Pieter's office to speak about money he owed?
4. Who suggests Pieter take Nella away for a holiday?
5. According to the narrator, great strength calls a man to honor while great _______________ calls a man to dishonor.
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)