|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the lieutenant pick up off the floor of a cell during an inspection with Steyn?
(d) Dirty plate.
2. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
3. When Stephanie is fired, who does she go to for help?
(a) The captain.
4. Who prepares lunch for Pieter when he goes home to eat?
5. What favor does the old black man in Chapter 7 ask for when the constables come looking for Stephanie?
(a) Meet him after dark to talk about Stephanie.
(b) Don't let anyone know he told them.
(c) Do not arrest him.
(d) Look in the huts first.
6. According to the narrator, great strength calls a man to honor while great _______________ calls a man to dishonor.
7. In Chapter 21, who said to Pieter, "duty is duty"?
(c) The captain.
8. In Chapter 12, when Pieter and others return for evening church services, who does not stay home?
9. What did Pieter consider his desire for Stephanie?
(a) A sickness.
(b) Something that would pass.
(c) Something expected because of his wife's behavior.
(d) An inconvenience.
10. Who offers to fetch Pieter another pipe?
11. After dinner and a smoke, who does Pieter wait for in the dark in Chapter 19?
12. Who has a drink with Pieter at the Royal Hotel?
13. In Chapter 23, Pieter starts thinking that if he does not get a miracle he will do what?
(a) Leave town.
(b) Tell his captain.
(c) Kill himself.
(d) Tell his wife.
14. On his sickbed in Chapter 17, Jakob is visited by Dominee Stander, the captain, and _________________.
(b) Officer Steyn.
(c) Dominee Vos.
(d) Sybrand Wessel.
15. Who tells Pieter they have found another job for Stephanie?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a heart-to-heart conversation in the kitchen pantry?
2. Who is president of the welfare committee?
3. Jokingly, what does Japie promise one night to seek out Pieter's advice on?
4. Who does the lieutenant secretly confide in about the young man's trouble?
5. Who does Sophie confide in that she wishes had never been born when she is discovered in the pantry?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)