|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pieter kneel at the blue-gum tree?
(a) He dropped something.
(b) To pray.
(c) To hide.
(d) To help someone up.
2. Where did Pieter put the note he found pinned to his house door?
(a) His pocket.
(b) The trash.
(c) The drawer.
(d) The book.
3. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
4. Who refuses to acknowledge that he might be ill and need bed rest?
5. What does Jakob suggest that he and Pieter search for on a trip to the family farm?
(a) New servants.
(b) The phalarope.
(c) A car for Nella.
(d) More land.
6. What is the name of the boy chasing the girl that hides in the shadows of the trees in Chapter 2?
7. In Chapter 4, who tries to give the lieutenant a present, but he refuses unless he pays for it?
(c) Kappie's father.
8. Before the note, what did Pieter plan to do to cleanse his corruption?
(a) Smoke a cigarette.
(b) Drink more.
9. Who does Pieter guess is the new social welfare officer?
10. What time is dinner served at cousin Anna's home?
(a) 6:00 p.m.
(b) 6:30 p.m.
(c) 7:00 p.m.
(d) 8:00 p.m.
11. What do the lieutenant and Kappie both like to collect?
12. In Chapter 4, who tells the lieutenant to find the child if he wants to find Stephanie?
(a) His captain.
(c) Stephanie's neighbor.
13. Who sat in the Park?
14. What is the name of the native constable that accompanies Pieter to find Stephanie in Chapter 7?
15. After rugby practice, Pieter goes for a visit with whom?
(d) His dad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pieter warn his houseboy about because they are "idle and break the law"?
2. What book of the bible does Jakob read from before the family leaves the party in Chapter 14?
3. Who tells Pieter they have found another job for Stephanie?
4. What is the name of the aunt Pieter's mom puts on the phone to talk to him in Chapter 6 after his encounter with his father about the stamps?
5. In Chapter 3 when the lieutenant asks the young man how many times before he has approached a black woman as he did Stephanie, what is the young man's answer?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)