|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, who tells the lieutenant to find the child if he wants to find Stephanie?
(b) His captain.
(d) Stephanie's neighbor.
2. What kind of gift from Pieter has everyone apprehensive?
(a) A hat.
(b) A gun.
(c) A picture.
(d) A book.
3. What does the narrator put aside to write this story?
4. Pieter's aunt and who else collect stamps for him during the forbidden years declared by his father?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(d) His mother.
5. What do the lieutenant and Kappie both like to collect?
6. In Chapter 3 when the lieutenant asks the young man how many times before he has approached a black woman as he did Stephanie, what is the young man's answer?
(b) A lot.
7. Whose written letter under the door at home upsets Pieter upon reading it?
(d) The captain's.
8. Pieter went through the fence to a farm called ______ and laid in the field with the animals.
(b) Too Far.
(c) Black lands.
9. On his sickbed in Chapter 17, Jakob is visited by Dominee Stander, the captain, and _________________.
(b) Sybrand Wessel.
(c) Officer Steyn.
(d) Dominee Vos.
10. Besides Pieter, who is angry about being born?
11. Who is known as the Lion of the North?
12. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
13. What is the name of Pieter's house boy?
14. In Chapter 16, who does Pieter go to to try and talk about his problem with Stephanie?
15. Who wrote the note Pieter found pinned to his door?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what does Sophie remember being afraid Pieter would fall from when he was a sick boy in her care?
2. How old is Pieter when he is forbidden to continue to collect stamps?
3. Who is president of the welfare committee?
4. Who suggests Pieter take Nella away for a holiday?
5. What is the name of the girl the lieutenant hears moving to hide in the shadows of trees in Chapter 2?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)