|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3 when the lieutenant asks the young man how many times before he has approached a black woman as he did Stephanie, what is the young man's answer?
(b) A lot.
2. Who always has big birthday celebrations and is having a party in Chapter 13?
3. Where is the social welfare department located?
(a) In part of the old hospital.
(b) In the old school.
(c) In the old butcher shop.
(d) In the new village square.
4. Who wrote the note Pieter found pinned to his door?
5. Who sat in the Park?
6. What does Pieter get from the study that they kept for visitors?
(a) An ashtray.
(b) A lighter.
(c) A shot glass.
(d) A cigarette.
7. Who refuses to acknowledge that he might be ill and need bed rest?
8. Which one of Pieter's sisters is in love?
9. Pieter vowed to give his life to God if there was no _____ in the dark.
10. What is the name of the aunt Pieter's mom puts on the phone to talk to him in Chapter 6 after his encounter with his father about the stamps?
11. Who is sentenced to death for violating the immorality act, but not necessarily for murder?
12. In Chapter 9, who is already at Stephanie's trial when Sophie arrives?
13. What is the name of Pieter's house boy?
14. After finding the note, Pieter heated water. Why?
(a) For tea.
(b) For cleaning.
(c) To cook.
(d) To bathe.
15. Who is president of the welfare committee?
(a) Pieter's mother.
(b) Pieter's father.
(c) Pieter's aunt.
(d) Pieter's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spit and turned away from Pieter instead of greeting him?
2. Who does Pieter warn his houseboy about because they are "idle and break the law"?
3. Who does Sophie confide in that she wishes had never been born when she is discovered in the pantry?
4. Who came by Pieter's office to speak about money he owed?
5. Who plays music to help Pieter calm down?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)