|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator put aside to write this story?
2. Who prepares lunch for Pieter when he goes home to eat?
3. Trying to find out if anyone in the black community knew what he had done, who did Pieter ask his house boy about?
(d) Old man from low country.
4. The lieutenant is not just the young man's friend, he is also his what?
(b) Football coach.
5. Who spit and turned away from Pieter instead of greeting him?
(a) Matthew Kaplan.
(b) Abraham Kaplan.
(c) Dominee Stander.
(d) Herman Geyer.
6. Who does Japie see Pieter with the night Pieter first breaks his vows?
7. What street goes to the "black people's location"?
(a) van Onselen Street.
(b) Pretorius Street.
(c) Main Street.
(d) Slabbert's Road.
8. After finding the note, Pieter heated water. Why?
(a) To cook.
(b) To bathe.
(c) For tea.
(d) For cleaning.
9. Who suggests Pieter take Nella away for a holiday?
(c) Pieter's mother.
10. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
11. What does the note say that is pinned to Pieter's door when he comes home from the field?
(a) Sorry-missed you.
(b) Nella back tomorrow.
(c) Your dad is worse.
(d) I saw you.
12. How old is Pieter when he is forbidden to continue to collect stamps?
13. In Chapter 12, when Pieter and others return for evening church services, who does not stay home?
14. Japie tells Pieter that someone wants Stephanie out of Venterspan and keeps hounding him about it. Who is this person?
(d) The magistrate.
15. According to the judge in Chapter 8, what does Stephanie have to do to prevent the court from possibly taking her child?
(a) Find work.
(c) Stop breaking the law.
(d) Get married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound terrifies Pieter while he is kneeling at the tree?
2. In Chapter 8, what childhood friend of Pieter's sees Sophie at the bus terminal and is quite excited?
3. In Chapter 14, what does Sophie remember being afraid Pieter would fall from when he was a sick boy in her care?
4. Who wrote the note Pieter found pinned to his door?
5. What favor does the old black man in Chapter 7 ask for when the constables come looking for Stephanie?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)