|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What favor does the old black man in Chapter 7 ask for when the constables come looking for Stephanie?
(a) Do not arrest him.
(b) Look in the huts first.
(c) Meet him after dark to talk about Stephanie.
(d) Don't let anyone know he told them.
2. Who does Pieter cancel visiting with after having drinks at the hotel?
3. Japie tells Pieter that someone wants Stephanie out of Venterspan and keeps hounding him about it. Who is this person?
(b) The magistrate.
4. What is the name of the boy chasing the girl that hides in the shadows of the trees in Chapter 2?
5. The lieutenant is not just the young man's friend, he is also his what?
(b) Football coach.
6. After rugby practice, Pieter goes for a visit with whom?
(a) His dad.
7. On his sickbed in Chapter 17, Jakob is visited by Dominee Stander, the captain, and _________________.
(b) Sybrand Wessel.
(c) Officer Steyn.
(d) Dominee Vos.
8. In Chapter 12, when Pieter and others return for evening church services, who does not stay home?
9. Who does Sophie confide in that she wishes had never been born when she is discovered in the pantry?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her brother.
10. Who suggests Pieter take Nella away for a holiday?
(a) Pieter's mother.
11. Who came by Pieter's office to speak about money he owed?
12. Who has a drink with Pieter at the Royal Hotel?
13. In Chapter 15, Stephanie first seeks Pieter out in whose home?
(a) Japie's home.
(b) His friend Kappie's home.
(c) His home.
(d) His father's home.
14. After the constables took Stephanie back to the vehicle, who stayed behind?
15. What does the narrator put aside to write this story?
Short Answer Questions
1. After dinner and a smoke, who does Pieter wait for in the dark in Chapter 19?
2. What time is dinner served at cousin Anna's home?
3. Whose written letter under the door at home upsets Pieter upon reading it?
4. Who is the new dominee assisting Dominee Stander?
5. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)