|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose written letter under the door at home upsets Pieter upon reading it?
(d) The captain's.
2. Trying to find out if anyone in the black community knew what he had done, who did Pieter ask his house boy about?
(a) Old man from low country.
3. The night after Pieter sleeps with Stephanie, who is at the front desk when Pieter arrives for work?
(c) The captain.
4. What racist classmate does Pieter envy?
5. What favor does the old black man in Chapter 7 ask for when the constables come looking for Stephanie?
(a) Don't let anyone know he told them.
(b) Look in the huts first.
(c) Do not arrest him.
(d) Meet him after dark to talk about Stephanie.
6. According to Jakob in Chapter 15, who thinks the phalarope is a bird of the coast?
(a) His brother.
(b) The Englishman.
7. Who does Pieter guess is the new social welfare officer?
8. Who is the new dominee assisting Dominee Stander?
9. Who is the owner of the hotel (Abraham's) brother?
10. In Chapter 21, who said to Pieter, "duty is duty"?
(a) The captain.
11. What time is dinner served at cousin Anna's home?
(a) 6:30 p.m.
(b) 8:00 p.m.
(c) 7:00 p.m.
(d) 6:00 p.m.
12. Who does Pieter's gift bring together?
(a) Pieter and Nella.
(b) Peter and Kappie.
(c) Pieter and Jakob.
(d) Pieter and Sophie.
13. Who suggests Pieter take Nella away for a holiday?
(d) Pieter's mother.
14. In Chapter 14, what does Sophie remember being afraid Pieter would fall from when he was a sick boy in her care?
(a) The bed.
(b) A tree.
(c) A wall.
(d) The porch.
15. What does Pieter get from the study that they kept for visitors?
(a) An ashtray.
(b) A lighter.
(c) A shot glass.
(d) A cigarette.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sentenced to death for violating the immorality act, but not necessarily for murder?
2. Where is the social welfare department located?
3. Who has a drink with Pieter at the Royal Hotel?
4. In Chapter 9, who is already at Stephanie's trial when Sophie arrives?
5. In Chapter 1, the narrator describes running to save a man, who shuts the door of ____________ instead of accepting the help.
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)