|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 16, who does Pieter go to to try and talk about his problem with Stephanie?
2. In Chapter 4, who tries to give the lieutenant a present, but he refuses unless he pays for it?
(c) Kappie's father.
3. Pieter went through the fence to a farm called ______ and laid in the field with the animals.
(a) Too Far.
(c) Black lands.
4. Who does Pieter's gift bring together?
(a) Pieter and Sophie.
(b) Pieter and Nella.
(c) Peter and Kappie.
(d) Pieter and Jakob.
5. Who is the new dominee assisting Dominee Stander?
6. What do Pieter and his companion drink while at the hotel?
7. In Chapter 21, who said to Pieter, "duty is duty"?
(b) The captain.
8. Who goes to watch Pieter at rugby practice?
9. Who does Sophie confide in that she wishes had never been born when she is discovered in the pantry?
(a) Her brother.
(c) Her sister.
10. What did Pieter consider his desire for Stephanie?
(a) A sickness.
(b) Something that would pass.
(c) Something expected because of his wife's behavior.
(d) An inconvenience.
11. Whose written letter under the door at home upsets Pieter upon reading it?
(b) The captain's.
12. Who prepares lunch for Pieter when he goes home to eat?
13. According to the narrator, great strength calls a man to honor while great _______________ calls a man to dishonor.
14. Upon returning from evening church services, Pieter kisses Nella. What does she do after he smiles at her?
15. What is the name of the girl the lieutenant hears moving to hide in the shadows of trees in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Jokingly, what does Japie promise one night to seek out Pieter's advice on?
2. What is the name of Pieter's house boy?
3. What does Jakob suggest that he and Pieter search for on a trip to the family farm?
4. Who tells Pieter they have found another job for Stephanie?
5. Pieter's aunt and who else collect stamps for him during the forbidden years declared by his father?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)