|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the social welfare department located?
(a) In part of the old hospital.
(b) In the new village square.
(c) In the old school.
(d) In the old butcher shop.
2. Who does Pieter's gift bring together?
(a) Pieter and Jakob.
(b) Peter and Kappie.
(c) Pieter and Sophie.
(d) Pieter and Nella.
3. Who does Pieter guess is the new social welfare officer?
4. What does the narrator put aside to write this story?
5. What does Jakob suggest that he and Pieter search for on a trip to the family farm?
(a) A car for Nella.
(b) New servants.
(c) More land.
(d) The phalarope.
6. Pieter's aunt and who else collect stamps for him during the forbidden years declared by his father?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(d) His brother.
7. In Chapter 15, Stephanie first seeks Pieter out in whose home?
(a) Japie's home.
(b) His home.
(c) His father's home.
(d) His friend Kappie's home.
8. According to the narrator, great strength calls a man to honor while great _______________ calls a man to dishonor.
9. What does the note say that is pinned to Pieter's door when he comes home from the field?
(a) Your dad is worse.
(b) Sorry-missed you.
(c) I saw you.
(d) Nella back tomorrow.
10. Japie tells Pieter that someone wants Stephanie out of Venterspan and keeps hounding him about it. Who is this person?
(d) The magistrate.
11. Who always has big birthday celebrations and is having a party in Chapter 13?
12. On his sickbed in Chapter 17, Jakob is visited by Dominee Stander, the captain, and _________________.
(a) Sybrand Wessel.
(c) Dominee Vos.
(d) Officer Steyn.
13. What is the name of the girl the lieutenant hears moving to hide in the shadows of trees in Chapter 2?
14. What kind of gift from Pieter has everyone apprehensive?
(a) A picture.
(b) A hat.
(c) A book.
(d) A gun.
15. What sport do Pieter and the new dominee have in common?
(b) Dog racing.
(d) Car racing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pieter cancel visiting with after having drinks at the hotel?
2. Pieter went through the fence to a farm called ______ and laid in the field with the animals.
3. Who does Japie see Pieter with the night Pieter first breaks his vows?
4. Who does the lieutenant secretly confide in about the young man's trouble?
5. What street goes to the "black people's location"?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)