|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is known as the Lion of the North?
2. Who does Japie see Pieter with the night Pieter first breaks his vows?
3. How old is Pieter when he is forbidden to continue to collect stamps?
4. Who does Pieter guess is the new social welfare officer?
5. In Chapter 3 when the lieutenant asks the young man how many times before he has approached a black woman as he did Stephanie, what is the young man's answer?
(c) A lot.
6. Which one of Pieter's sisters is in love?
7. Who does Pieter's gift bring together?
(a) Pieter and Jakob.
(b) Pieter and Nella.
(c) Pieter and Sophie.
(d) Peter and Kappie.
8. What does Pieter get from the study that they kept for visitors?
(a) A shot glass.
(b) A lighter.
(c) An ashtray.
(d) A cigarette.
9. The young dominee ends his sermon with these words, "I am come that ye might have life, and have it more _______, saith the Lord."
10. Who suggests Pieter take Nella away for a holiday?
(c) Pieter's mother.
11. In Chapter 9, who is already at Stephanie's trial when Sophie arrives?
12. What favor does the old black man in Chapter 7 ask for when the constables come looking for Stephanie?
(a) Meet him after dark to talk about Stephanie.
(b) Do not arrest him.
(c) Don't let anyone know he told them.
(d) Look in the huts first.
13. According to Jakob in Chapter 15, who thinks the phalarope is a bird of the coast?
(b) The Englishman.
(d) His brother.
14. Who spit and turned away from Pieter instead of greeting him?
(a) Herman Geyer.
(b) Matthew Kaplan.
(c) Dominee Stander.
(d) Abraham Kaplan.
15. Who does the lieutenant secretly confide in about the young man's trouble?
(a) His wife.
(b) His father.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound terrifies Pieter while he is kneeling at the tree?
2. After dinner and a smoke, who does Pieter wait for in the dark in Chapter 19?
3. Who is president of the welfare committee?
4. What is the name of the girl the lieutenant hears moving to hide in the shadows of trees in Chapter 2?
5. Where did Pieter put the note he found pinned to his house door?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)