|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the girl the lieutenant hears moving to hide in the shadows of trees in Chapter 2?
2. Who is the owner of the hotel (Abraham's) brother?
3. What did Pieter consider his desire for Stephanie?
(a) Something that would pass.
(b) An inconvenience.
(c) A sickness.
(d) Something expected because of his wife's behavior.
4. After the constables took Stephanie back to the vehicle, who stayed behind?
5. What does Pieter get from the study that they kept for visitors?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A shot glass.
(c) An ashtray.
(d) A lighter.
6. Trying to find out if anyone in the black community knew what he had done, who did Pieter ask his house boy about?
(c) Old man from low country.
7. What do Pieter and his companion drink while at the hotel?
8. Before the note, what did Pieter plan to do to cleanse his corruption?
(b) Drink more.
(c) Smoke a cigarette.
9. In Chapter 8, what childhood friend of Pieter's sees Sophie at the bus terminal and is quite excited?
10. How old is Pieter when he is forbidden to continue to collect stamps?
11. When Stephanie is fired, who does she go to for help?
(d) The captain.
12. What racist classmate does Pieter envy?
13. In Chapter 1, the narrator describes running to save a man, who shuts the door of ____________ instead of accepting the help.
(a) His house.
(b) His heart.
(c) His soul.
(d) His office.
14. Who goes to watch Pieter at rugby practice?
15. In Chapter 4, who tries to give the lieutenant a present, but he refuses unless he pays for it?
(c) Kappie's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the note Pieter found pinned to his door?
2. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after evening church services in Chapter 12, once he decides not to confide in his wife?
3. In Chapter 15, Stephanie first seeks Pieter out in whose home?
4. With whom, during an argument, does Pieter declare that he gives when he is given to?
5. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)