|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon returning from evening church services, Pieter kisses Nella. What does she do after he smiles at her?
2. What do the lieutenant and Kappie both like to collect?
3. What does Pieter get from the study that they kept for visitors?
(a) An ashtray.
(b) A cigarette.
(c) A lighter.
(d) A shot glass.
4. With whom, during an argument, does Pieter declare that he gives when he is given to?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
5. What is the name of the native constable that accompanies Pieter to find Stephanie in Chapter 7?
6. Why does Pieter kneel at the blue-gum tree?
(a) To help someone up.
(b) To hide.
(c) He dropped something.
(d) To pray.
7. Who sat in the Park?
8. What favor does the old black man in Chapter 7 ask for when the constables come looking for Stephanie?
(a) Don't let anyone know he told them.
(b) Look in the huts first.
(c) Do not arrest him.
(d) Meet him after dark to talk about Stephanie.
9. What does the note say that is pinned to Pieter's door when he comes home from the field?
(a) Nella back tomorrow.
(b) Sorry-missed you.
(c) Your dad is worse.
(d) I saw you.
10. After finding the note, Pieter heated water. Why?
(a) For tea.
(b) To cook.
(c) To bathe.
(d) For cleaning.
11. Who does Pieter's gift bring together?
(a) Peter and Kappie.
(b) Pieter and Nella.
(c) Pieter and Jakob.
(d) Pieter and Sophie.
12. Who is the owner of the hotel (Abraham's) brother?
13. Where was Pieter when he confessed to being angry about being born?
(b) Kitchen Pantry.
14. The lieutenant is not just the young man's friend, he is also his what?
(b) Football coach.
15. Whose written letter under the door at home upsets Pieter upon reading it?
(a) The captain's.
Short Answer Questions
1. The young dominee ends his sermon with these words, "I am come that ye might have life, and have it more _______, saith the Lord."
2. Who always has big birthday celebrations and is having a party in Chapter 13?
3. Which one of Pieter's sisters is in love?
4. Who suggests Pieter take Nella away for a holiday?
5. What sound terrifies Pieter while he is kneeling at the tree?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)