|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests Pieter take Nella away for a holiday?
(b) Pieter's mother.
2. Who does Pieter cancel visiting with after having drinks at the hotel?
3. In Chapter 21, who said to Pieter, "duty is duty"?
(b) The captain.
4. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
5. Before the note, what did Pieter plan to do to cleanse his corruption?
(a) Smoke a cigarette.
(d) Drink more.
6. In Chapter 15, Stephanie first seeks Pieter out in whose home?
(a) Japie's home.
(b) His home.
(c) His father's home.
(d) His friend Kappie's home.
7. Pieter went through the fence to a farm called ______ and laid in the field with the animals.
(b) Too Far.
(d) Black lands.
8. The young dominee ends his sermon with these words, "I am come that ye might have life, and have it more _______, saith the Lord."
9. According to the judge in Chapter 8, what does Stephanie have to do to prevent the court from possibly taking her child?
(a) Get married.
(b) Stop breaking the law.
(d) Find work.
10. In Chapter 9, who is already at Stephanie's trial when Sophie arrives?
11. Who has a heart-to-heart conversation in the kitchen pantry?
(a) Frans and his wife.
(b) Pieter and his mom.
(c) Pieter and Sophie.
(d) Martha and Pieter.
12. In Chapter 4, who tries to give the lieutenant a present, but he refuses unless he pays for it?
(b) Kappie's father.
13. Besides Pieter, who is angry about being born?
14. What does Pieter get from the study that they kept for visitors?
(a) A lighter.
(b) A cigarette.
(c) An ashtray.
(d) A shot glass.
15. Trying to find out if anyone in the black community knew what he had done, who did Pieter ask his house boy about?
(d) Old man from low country.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Stephanie is fired, who does she go to for help?
2. In Chapter 3 when the lieutenant asks the young man how many times before he has approached a black woman as he did Stephanie, what is the young man's answer?
3. In Chapter 4, who tells the lieutenant to find the child if he wants to find Stephanie?
4. What book of the bible does Jakob read from before the family leaves the party in Chapter 14?
5. In Chapter 8, what childhood friend of Pieter's sees Sophie at the bus terminal and is quite excited?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)