|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 16, who does Pieter go to to try and talk about his problem with Stephanie?
2. In Chapter 21, who said to Pieter, "duty is duty"?
(c) The captain.
3. Before the note, what did Pieter plan to do to cleanse his corruption?
(a) Smoke a cigarette.
(c) Drink more.
4. What is the name of the boy chasing the girl that hides in the shadows of the trees in Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 1, the narrator describes running to save a man, who shuts the door of ____________ instead of accepting the help.
(a) His heart.
(b) His house.
(c) His office.
(d) His soul.
6. In Chapter 9, who is already at Stephanie's trial when Sophie arrives?
7. Who came by Pieter's office to speak about money he owed?
8. Who prepares lunch for Pieter when he goes home to eat?
9. Trying to find out if anyone in the black community knew what he had done, who did Pieter ask his house boy about?
(c) Old man from low country.
10. In Chapter 4, who tries to give the lieutenant a present, but he refuses unless he pays for it?
(d) Kappie's father.
11. Jokingly, what does Japie promise one night to seek out Pieter's advice on?
12. Upon returning from evening church services, Pieter kisses Nella. What does she do after he smiles at her?
13. What street goes to the "black people's location"?
(a) Slabbert's Road.
(b) van Onselen Street.
(c) Main Street.
(d) Pretorius Street.
14. Who spit and turned away from Pieter instead of greeting him?
(a) Matthew Kaplan.
(b) Dominee Stander.
(c) Abraham Kaplan.
(d) Herman Geyer.
15. The lieutenant is not just the young man's friend, he is also his what?
(a) Football coach.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Stephanie is fired, who does she go to for help?
2. What sound terrifies Pieter while he is kneeling at the tree?
3. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
4. After finding the note, Pieter heated water. Why?
5. Who wrote the note Pieter found pinned to his door?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)