|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon returning from evening church services, Pieter kisses Nella. What does she do after he smiles at her?
2. According to Jakob in Chapter 15, who thinks the phalarope is a bird of the coast?
(b) His brother.
(d) The Englishman.
3. Who does the lieutenant secretly confide in about the young man's trouble?
(a) His father.
(b) His captain.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His wife.
4. Why does Pieter kneel at the blue-gum tree?
(a) To help someone up.
(b) To pray.
(c) To hide.
(d) He dropped something.
5. Pieter went through the fence to a farm called ______ and laid in the field with the animals.
(c) Too Far.
(d) Black lands.
6. What is the name of the native constable that accompanies Pieter to find Stephanie in Chapter 7?
7. Who refuses to acknowledge that he might be ill and need bed rest?
8. Japie tells Pieter that someone wants Stephanie out of Venterspan and keeps hounding him about it. Who is this person?
(c) The magistrate.
9. What does the lieutenant pick up off the floor of a cell during an inspection with Steyn?
(b) Dirty plate.
10. Who prepares lunch for Pieter when he goes home to eat?
11. What favor does the old black man in Chapter 7 ask for when the constables come looking for Stephanie?
(a) Meet him after dark to talk about Stephanie.
(b) Look in the huts first.
(c) Don't let anyone know he told them.
(d) Do not arrest him.
12. What is the name of the aunt Pieter's mom puts on the phone to talk to him in Chapter 6 after his encounter with his father about the stamps?
13. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after evening church services in Chapter 12, once he decides not to confide in his wife?
14. What does the narrator put aside to write this story?
15. After the constables took Stephanie back to the vehicle, who stayed behind?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, who does Pieter go to to try and talk about his problem with Stephanie?
2. Where did Pieter put the note he found pinned to his house door?
3. Where is the social welfare department located?
4. What street goes to the "black people's location"?
5. Jokingly, what does Japie promise one night to seek out Pieter's advice on?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)