|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After finding the note, Pieter heated water. Why?
(a) To cook.
(b) For tea.
(c) For cleaning.
(d) To bathe.
2. When Stephanie is fired, who does she go to for help?
(b) The captain.
3. In Chapter 14, what does Sophie remember being afraid Pieter would fall from when he was a sick boy in her care?
(a) A wall.
(b) A tree.
(c) The porch.
(d) The bed.
4. Who has a drink with Pieter at the Royal Hotel?
5. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after church services in Chapter 11?
6. Who does Japie see Pieter with the night Pieter first breaks his vows?
7. Besides Pieter, who is angry about being born?
8. Who refuses to acknowledge that he might be ill and need bed rest?
9. Where was Pieter when he confessed to being angry about being born?
(c) Kitchen Pantry.
10. Who does Pieter guess is the new social welfare officer?
11. Who does Sophie confide in that she wishes had never been born when she is discovered in the pantry?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her brother.
12. Who is president of the welfare committee?
(a) Pieter's aunt.
(b) Pieter's father.
(c) Pieter's mother.
(d) Pieter's wife.
13. What is the name of the aunt Pieter's mom puts on the phone to talk to him in Chapter 6 after his encounter with his father about the stamps?
14. What is the name of Pieter's house boy?
15. What is the name of the boy chasing the girl that hides in the shadows of the trees in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Jokingly, what does Japie promise one night to seek out Pieter's advice on?
2. Who spit and turned away from Pieter instead of greeting him?
3. The lieutenant is not just the young man's friend, he is also his what?
4. Who prepares lunch for Pieter when he goes home to eat?
5. In Chapter 4, who tries to give the lieutenant a present, but he refuses unless he pays for it?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)