|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom, during an argument, does Pieter declare that he gives when he is given to?
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
2. What is the name of the boy chasing the girl that hides in the shadows of the trees in Chapter 2?
3. Where is the social welfare department located?
(a) In the old school.
(b) In part of the old hospital.
(c) In the old butcher shop.
(d) In the new village square.
4. The night after Pieter sleeps with Stephanie, who is at the front desk when Pieter arrives for work?
(b) The captain.
5. Which one of Pieter's sisters is in love?
6. In Chapter 3 when the lieutenant asks the young man how many times before he has approached a black woman as he did Stephanie, what is the young man's answer?
(c) A lot.
7. Who does Pieter decide to confide in after evening church services in Chapter 12, once he decides not to confide in his wife?
8. Who is president of the welfare committee?
(a) Pieter's aunt.
(b) Pieter's father.
(c) Pieter's mother.
(d) Pieter's wife.
9. Who does Pieter warn his houseboy about because they are "idle and break the law"?
10. Where was Pieter when he confessed to being angry about being born?
(a) Kitchen Pantry.
11. Who suggests Pieter take Nella away for a holiday?
(d) Pieter's mother.
12. According to the judge in Chapter 8, what does Stephanie have to do to prevent the court from possibly taking her child?
(b) Stop breaking the law.
(c) Find work.
(d) Get married.
13. How old is Pieter when he is forbidden to continue to collect stamps?
14. Trying to find out if anyone in the black community knew what he had done, who did Pieter ask his house boy about?
(b) Old man from low country.
15. In Chapter 14, what does Sophie remember being afraid Pieter would fall from when he was a sick boy in her care?
(a) A tree.
(b) A wall.
(c) The bed.
(d) The porch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pieter cancel visiting with after having drinks at the hotel?
2. In Chapter 8, what childhood friend of Pieter's sees Sophie at the bus terminal and is quite excited?
3. In Chapter 23, Pieter starts thinking that if he does not get a miracle he will do what?
4. In Chapter 4, who tells the lieutenant to find the child if he wants to find Stephanie?
5. What does the lieutenant pick up off the floor of a cell during an inspection with Steyn?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)