|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, the narrator describes running to save a man, who shuts the door of ____________ instead of accepting the help.
(a) His soul.
(b) His house.
(c) His office.
(d) His heart.
2. What time is dinner served at cousin Anna's home?
(a) 7:00 p.m.
(b) 8:00 p.m.
(c) 6:00 p.m.
(d) 6:30 p.m.
3. In Chapter 8, what childhood friend of Pieter's sees Sophie at the bus terminal and is quite excited?
4. After rugby practice, Pieter goes for a visit with whom?
(a) His dad.
5. Where did Pieter put the note he found pinned to his house door?
(a) His pocket.
(b) The book.
(c) The trash.
(d) The drawer.
6. Jokingly, what does Japie promise one night to seek out Pieter's advice on?
7. Who is president of the welfare committee?
(a) Pieter's father.
(b) Pieter's wife.
(c) Pieter's aunt.
(d) Pieter's mother.
8. What does Jakob suggest that he and Pieter search for on a trip to the family farm?
(a) New servants.
(b) More land.
(c) The phalarope.
(d) A car for Nella.
9. What does the narrator put aside to write this story?
10. What is the name of the native constable that accompanies Pieter to find Stephanie in Chapter 7?
11. Why does Pieter kneel at the blue-gum tree?
(a) To help someone up.
(b) To hide.
(c) To pray.
(d) He dropped something.
12. What is the name of the aunt Pieter's mom puts on the phone to talk to him in Chapter 6 after his encounter with his father about the stamps?
13. After the constables took Stephanie back to the vehicle, who stayed behind?
14. What sound terrifies Pieter while he is kneeling at the tree?
(a) A scream.
(b) A gun shot.
(c) A cracked twig.
(d) A crashing sound.
15. What is the name of the girl the lieutenant hears moving to hide in the shadows of trees in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the lieutenant secretly confide in about the young man's trouble?
2. Whose written letter under the door at home upsets Pieter upon reading it?
3. What did Pieter consider his desire for Stephanie?
4. Who is the owner of the hotel (Abraham's) brother?
5. After finding the note, Pieter heated water. Why?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)