Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
* The narrator describes her missed opportunity to save a man of gentleness and strength, and at the same time save them all.
* The lieutenant calls for the girl to come out of hiding after intercepting the young man pursuing her on the darkening streets of Venterspan and sending him to his home.
* The lieutenant realizes the girl is Stephanie, often in the courts for her illegal activities, with unknown parents, a child, and living with an elderly woman she takes care of and provides for with her illegal activities.
Chapter 3 | Chapter 4
* After going home, the lieutenant speaks with his wife, Nella, and takes the young man into his study.
* After questioning the young man, the lieutenant reminds him of the prohibition against white men touching black women and what it would mean if he did and was caught.
* The lieutenant forgives the young man, Nella is...
This section contains 2,080 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)