Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
• The narrator describes her missed opportunity to save a man of gentleness and strength, and at the same time save them all.
• The lieutenant calls for the girl to come out of hiding after intercepting the young man pursuing her on the darkening streets of Venterspan and sending him to his home.
• The lieutenant realizes the girl is Stephanie, often in the courts for her illegal activities, with unknown parents, a child, and living with an elderly woman she takes care of and provides for with her illegal activities.
Chapter 3 | Chapter 4
• After going home, the lieutenant speaks with his wife, Nella, and takes the young man into his study.
• After questioning the young man, the lieutenant reminds him of the prohibition against white men touching black women and what it would mean if he did and was caught.
• The lieutenant forgives the young man, Nella is...
This section contains 2,288 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)