|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date does the author describe Bart McDade and Alex Kirk arriving in Dick Fuld’s office in the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. According to the author in Chapter 14, after the meeting at the New York Federal Reserve Building, “the Morgan Stanley bankers had two related tasks: self-preservation and” what?
3. What is the common name for the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation?
4. According to the author in Chapter 15, what banking institution was still interested in the broker-dealer part of Lehman, and everyone thought a deal was all but completed until they heard news otherwise?
5. Under whose guidance did Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley receive status as bank holding companies in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the conclusions that were found by the CEOs in Chapter 16? How did they report this news to Geithner?
2. What did Ben Bernanke and Henry Paulson present to Congress as their solution to the banking problems in Chapter 17?
3. What was discussed in the meeting between Dick Fuld and Timothy Geithner in Chapter 10?
4. What negotiations took place in the scramble to save Lehman Brothers in Chapter 12?
5. What was the outcome after the bailout of AIG, according to the author in Chapter 17?
6. How did Greg Fleming respond when he heard that Bank of America was considering buying Lehman Brothers in Chapter 13?
7. What led to the cease of negotiations between Lehman and its potential investor in Chapter 11?
8. What happened with the deal between Lehman Brothers and Barclays in Chapter 15?
9. What events does the author describe taking place on September 10, 2008, in the opening of Chapter 13?
10. How did the deal between Bank of America and Merrill Lynch influence John Mack’s actions in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lehman Brothers’ portfolio and assets in 2008 and analyze the downfall of Lehman Brothers and their problems on the books prior to their file for bankruptcy. How did sub-prime mortgage trading influence the problems that Lehman faced in 2008?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and role of the United States Federal Reserve and its involvement in the Great Recession of 2008. How did the Fed attempt to resolve the situation of the failing banks? Who was Chairman of the Federal Reserve in 2008? Who is Chairman today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jamie Dimon’s role as CEO of JP Morgan and his influences in the 2008 financial crisis. How did Dimon respond to the news he received in the Prologue of the narrative? Why?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)