|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bart McDade and Skip McGee from Lehman Brothers met with whom from KDB to hammer out a deal in Chapter 11?
2. John Thain thought in Chapter 14 as he pulled up to the New York Federal Reserve Building that the last time he’d been there was during the rescue of Long-Term Capital Management in what year?
3. Bob Steel was described as now being with what banking institution in Chapter 12?
4. Where is Wells Fargo bank headquartered?
5. In Chapter 16, who called JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs to come meet with the other Wall Street leaders to look at a solution for the AIG problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was discussed in the meeting between Dick Fuld and Timothy Geithner in Chapter 10?
2. What did Ben Bernanke and Henry Paulson present to Congress as their solution to the banking problems in Chapter 17?
3. How was the meeting between Dick Fuld and John Mack described in Chapter 10?
4. What did Dick Fuld learn about the outcome of the governmental/CEO meeting in Chapter 15?
5. What was the purpose of the meeting between the government officials and top CEOs in Chapter 14?
6. With whom were Lehman Brothers in negotiations with in Chapter 11? Who led the negotiations?
7. What did Henry Paulson decide to do when Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac continued to deteriorate in Chapter 11?
8. On what date does the author open Chapter 19? What had happened to the stocks of Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley on this date?
9. What were the principle causes for Dick Fuld’s increasing stress in the beginning of Chapter 12?
10. What were the conclusions that were found by the CEOs in Chapter 16? How did they report this news to Geithner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Susanne Craig’s article from the Wall Street Journal on June 4, 2008. What implications do you see in the article? Why did its publication enrage Dick Fuld? How did the article influence the future of Lehman Brothers’ stockholdings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the biography and career of John Thain and the history of Merrill Lynch. How did Merrill Lynch’s status as a “brokerage firm” differ from the statuses of banks? When was the company established? What was its standing in 2008 as the financial world anticipated the downfall of Lehman Brothers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jamie Dimon’s role as CEO of JP Morgan and his influences in the 2008 financial crisis. How did Dimon respond to the news he received in the Prologue of the narrative? Why?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)