|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Timothy Geithner worked for the Treasury Department and what organization prior to his appointment as President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York?
2. According to the author in Chapter 3, Bob Steel knew he would face scrutiny from which U.S. senator who opposed government intervention in the markets?
3. By what nickname is Warren Buffett known in the financial world?
4. Who was Bob Willumstad’s partner in starting a private-equity fund after he left Citigroup?
5. Who nominated Hank Paulson to his post in the federal cabinet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Jamie Dimon’s position in the Bear Stearns deal in Chapter 3?
2. What meeting does the author describe Jamie Dimon attending in the Prologue of Too Big to Fail?
3. What decisions came out of the meeting described in Chapter 9?
4. What was Hank Paulson’s first concern regarding the possibility of failure of Lehman Brothers, according to the author in Chapter 4?
5. Why did Dick Fuld meet with other Lehman executives and Jim Cramer in Chapter 5? How did this meeting turn out?
6. How does the author describe Bob Steel in Chapter 3? Why was Bob Steel in a tough position?
7. Who did Bob Steel contact to discuss the Lehman Brothers problem in Chapter 4? What response did he get?
8. What did Jamie Dimon inform his executive staff after attending the meeting described in the Prologue?
9. To whom did John Thain turn for help with Merrill Lynch’s situation in Chapter 7? What response did he receive?
10. How does the author describe AIG’s establishment and history in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dick Fuld’s objectives and obstacles in Chapter 6. How did Fuld feel about letting go of his top executives? Who made this suggestion to Fuld? How did Erin Callan and Joe Gregory respond to the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jim Cramer and CNBC, as well as the influence of journalism on Wall Street. How much of the dealings on Wall Street are based on media speculation? How powerful is this speculation? How respected is Jim Cramer in this regard?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of Lehman Brothers from its inception in the 1800s to its demise in 2008. What choices were made within the company that can be seen as attributing to its downfall and bankruptcy? How involved was Dick Fuld in making these decisions? Who else was integral in decision making?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)