|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Young Brooke convince the Doctor?
2. How is Arthur, physically, at this point in the story?
3. What has happened by the time Tom and Arthur have left the school?
4. With whom is Rugby playing an important cricket match?
5. Later, on what do Tom, Martin, Arthur, and East set off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the boys watching begin to debate?
2. What does Tom do when he finds out about the Doctor's death?
3. Why does East not get confirmed?
4. How does Tom try to keep his promise to Arthur?
5. Why is Arthur worried about Tom's safety in the fight?
6. How well does Tom do in the fight?
7. The narrator asks the reader to pardon Tom for being filled with more thoughts of the Doctor than of God. What is his explanation for Tom's behavior?
8. In what debate does Tom take part? With whom is the debate?
9. What does East confess?
10. How does Tom react when we realizes he has broken the promise he had made to his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arthur is kind and Christ-like.
Part 1) How is he Christ-like?
Part 2) What role doe he play in this novel? Use details from the story to support your response.
Part 3) How does he influence Tom?
Essay Topic 2
Old Brooke gives a speech to the boys before he leaves the school.
Part 1) What does he say in the speech?
Part 2) What makes Old Brooke and the other older boys different from the boys that replace them as the leaders in the school?
Part 3) How does the change in leadership affect the younger boys in the school?
Essay Topic 3
Tom fights with a larger, older boy named Williams.
Part 1) Why does he get into this fight?
Part 2) Describe the fight itself.
Part 3) How does the fight end? What is the outcome of the fight?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)