|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the novel's central theme?
2. What is Arthur's fondest wish?
3. Why is anyone who dares to taunt Tom quickly silenced?
4. What promise has Tom broken?
5. Tom and East return to Rugby, after a holiday, full of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom get into a fight?
2. What does Tom do when it is time to choose which player to send into the game next? What are the results?
3. The narrator asks the reader to pardon Tom for being filled with more thoughts of the Doctor than of God. What is his explanation for Tom's behavior?
4. How does Tom try to keep his promise to Arthur?
5. What takes place between Young Brooke and the Doctor, after the boys have quickly dispersed?
6. Why is Arthur worried about Tom's safety in the fight?
7. Why is Arthur crying in Tom's study?
8. What does Tom immediately understand about his relationship with Arthur, after speaking with a teacher?
9. How does Arthur's body handle the trek to the kestrel's nest?
10. How does Tom feel about mentoring Arthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
East acts as Tom's trainer for the fight with Williams.
Part 1) What is East's advice to Tom?
Part 2) What does Tom do with East's advice?
Part 3) How does Tom's reaction to East's advice reflect his character?
Essay Topic 2
One of the two antagonists is Flashman.
Part 1) Who is Flashman?
Part 2) How does he act as an antagonist?
Part 3) What is his purpose in the story?
Essay Topic 3
At first, Tom is reluctant to be a mentor to Arthur.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What makes him change his mind?
Part 3) How does their relationship as mentor and protege change throughout the book?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)