|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom and East return to Rugby, after a holiday, full of what?
2. Why do the four boys climb a tree?
3. What does East admit to Tom?
4. What does Arthur tell Tom about Martin?
5. What do East and other boys think about Tom's relationship with Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom try to keep his promise to Arthur?
2. What takes place between Young Brooke and the Doctor, after the boys have quickly dispersed?
3. What does Arthur do when he begins to fear for Tom's safety?
4. How does this chapter begin?
5. What does East confess?
6. What does Tom's reaction during a debate over the Old Testament with East and Arthur show about his idea of compromise?
7. Is the fight a typical school brawl? Explain.
8. How does Tom react when we realizes he has broken the promise he had made to his mother?
9. Why is the farmer on the look-out for boys from Rugby?
10. What does Tom think of Arthur's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tom believes that the stagecoach ride to Rugby School is the greatest day in his life.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How does this foreshadow his experiences at Rugby School?
Part 3) Would he still consider this the greatest day of his life at the end of the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Old Brooke gives a speech to the boys before he leaves the school.
Part 1) What does he say in the speech?
Part 2) What makes Old Brooke and the other older boys different from the boys that replace them as the leaders in the school?
Part 3) How does the change in leadership affect the younger boys in the school?
Essay Topic 3
Tom is the protagonist.
Part 1) How is Tom's character at the beginning of the story?
Part 2) How does he change after his experiences with Flashman?
Part 3) Why and how does he change by the end of the book?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)