|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom discover about the Doctor?
2. For what does the narrator ask the reader to pardon Tom?
3. What else does Tom and the teacher debate?
4. What is Arthur's fondest wish?
5. Why do the boys, including Tom and Williams, quickly disperse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom's reaction during a debate over the Old Testament with East and Arthur show about his idea of compromise?
2. How does Tom feel about Arthur wanting to be friends with Martin?
3. How does Tom get into a fight?
4. Why is Arthur crying in Tom's study?
5. What takes place between Young Brooke and the Doctor, after the boys have quickly dispersed?
6. Why does East not get confirmed?
7. How well does Tom do in the fight?
8. What does East confess?
9. What does Tom do when he finds out about the Doctor's death?
10. How does Tom react when we realizes he has broken the promise he had made to his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Squire and Tom have a gruff, yet intimate relationship.
Part 1) What does the Squire do before speaking his final words to Tom?
Part 2) What advice does he give Tom?
Part 3) What is Tom's reaction to his father's advice?
Essay Topic 2
Tom is the protagonist.
Part 1) How is Tom's character at the beginning of the story?
Part 2) How does he change after his experiences with Flashman?
Part 3) Why and how does he change by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
By the time Tom and East leave the school, most of the boys kneel and say prayers at bedtime.
Part 1) How does this ritual begin?
Part 2) Why are the other boys influenced by Tom and East?
Part 3) Why might the narrator believe this is a healthy ritual?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)