|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom's reaction to his father's speech reveal?
2. What does Tom's landowning family rarely, if ever, do?
3. Flashman spreads rumors that do what to the reputations of Tom and East?
4. What does Old Brooke do at the end of the singing?
5. What is the tone of the Squire's words to his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom take East's warning about Flashman?
2. What happens later in the evening?
3. How does Tom react to his father's words?
4. What happens after the blanket tossing?
5. What types of friends does the Squire believe Tom should have?
6. What two incidents teach Tom the foolishness of this poor attitude?
7. How do Tom, East, and Diggs get back at Flashman?
8. How are the two church services for Tom?
9. What is the narrator's opinion of the English country?
10. How does one know that Rugby School is not near Tom's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diggs encourages Tom and East to stand up for themselves.
Part 1) Why does he encourage this? From whom are the boys defending themselves?
Part 2) How is Diggs mistreated?
Part 3) Does Diggs' stand up for himself? Support your response with details from the story.
Essay Topic 2
East acts as Tom's trainer for the fight with Williams.
Part 1) What is East's advice to Tom?
Part 2) What does Tom do with East's advice?
Part 3) How does Tom's reaction to East's advice reflect his character?
Essay Topic 3
East and Tom help out Diggs by buying some of his personal belongings at one of Flashman's auctions.
Part 1) Why are Diggs' belongings being sold?
Part 2) Why do East and Tom do this for Diggs?
Part 3) How does this affect Diggs, Tom, and East?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)