|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diggs realize about Flashman? Once he realizes this, he hauls him to his feet and shoves him out of the room.
2. How do both Tom and East feel?
3. Who shows Tom around the school?
4. What happens shortly after Tom's arrival to a private school?
5. At one point, what does Flashman's bullying become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Benjy take Tom? What happens as a result?
2. What trouble does Tom get into? How is he punished?
3. How is Tom's morning on the stagecoach?
4. How does Tom come to attend Rugby?
5. How are the two church services for Tom?
6. What lesson does Tom learn from a boy at the local private school?
7. How does one know that Rugby School is not near Tom's home?
8. What is Tom's overall feel of the day?
9. How does Flashman and his cronies treat Tom once he is healed from the last incident?
10. What is different about the way Tom travels to school from how one travels to school in the twenty-first century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the two antagonists is Flashman.
Part 1) Who is Flashman?
Part 2) How does he act as an antagonist?
Part 3) What is his purpose in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Even when told he can not play in the football match, Tom rushes the pitch anyway.
Part 1) Why does he rush the pitch?
Part 2) What does this say about Tom's character?
Part 3) What is the outcome of this action?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the story, Tom is fully aware of the importance of human relationships, which has been the novel's central theme.
Part 1) How does Tom grow throughout the story?
Part 2) Who aids Tom in his growth? How?
Part 3) Arthur disappears from the narrative completely after Chapter 8, while only East is mentioned. What does this say about adulthood, human relationships, and independence?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)