|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Benjy when he tries the potion?
2. What do Flashman and his cronies do to Tom?
3. How is the meal in the common room and roll call?
4. This novel tells the story of a rambunctious young student. Where is he located?
5. How does Flashman end up on the floor, bleeding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom take East's warning about Flashman?
2. What is "the veast?"
3. What is the narrator's opinion of the English country?
4. How are the two church services for Tom?
5. How does the narrator believe young men may better themselves?
6. How does Tom's first full year begin?
7. What happens later in the trip?
8. Why does Tom's respect for the Doctor increase?
9. What two incidents teach Tom the foolishness of this poor attitude?
10. What action makes Tom proud of himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Old Brooke gives a speech to the boys before he leaves the school.
Part 1) What does he say in the speech?
Part 2) What makes Old Brooke and the other older boys different from the boys that replace them as the leaders in the school?
Part 3) How does the change in leadership affect the younger boys in the school?
Essay Topic 2
Diggs encourages Tom and East to stand up for themselves.
Part 1) Why does he encourage this? From whom are the boys defending themselves?
Part 2) How is Diggs mistreated?
Part 3) Does Diggs' stand up for himself? Support your response with details from the story.
Essay Topic 3
East and Tom help out Diggs by buying some of his personal belongings at one of Flashman's auctions.
Part 1) Why are Diggs' belongings being sold?
Part 2) Why do East and Tom do this for Diggs?
Part 3) How does this affect Diggs, Tom, and East?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)