|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there a shift?
2. What has happens to East during the game?
3. Who is timing the boys?
4. What friendship does Tom's father encourage?
5. For what is Tom proud to pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's opinion of the English country?
2. How is Tom's morning on the stagecoach?
3. How does Tom's first full year begin?
4. How does Tom react to his father's words?
5. How does one know that Rugby School is not near Tom's home?
6. How does the narrator believe young men may better themselves?
7. Where does Benjy take Tom? What happens as a result?
8. What key themes appear in this chapter?
9. What two incidents teach Tom the foolishness of this poor attitude?
10. How do Tom and East rebel against Flashman's treatment of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diggs encourages Tom and East to stand up for themselves.
Part 1) Why does he encourage this? From whom are the boys defending themselves?
Part 2) How is Diggs mistreated?
Part 3) Does Diggs' stand up for himself? Support your response with details from the story.
Essay Topic 2
One of the two antagonists is Flashman.
Part 1) Who is Flashman?
Part 2) How does he act as an antagonist?
Part 3) What is his purpose in the story?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the story, Tom is fully aware of the importance of human relationships, which has been the novel's central theme.
Part 1) How does Tom grow throughout the story?
Part 2) Who aids Tom in his growth? How?
Part 3) Arthur disappears from the narrative completely after Chapter 8, while only East is mentioned. What does this say about adulthood, human relationships, and independence?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)