|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator find to be a necessity and an aspect of human nature?
2. What does Tom discover that makes him so upset?
(a) Martin has verbally abused Arthur.
(b) Martin and Arthur are spreading rumors about him.
(c) Martin and Arthur have been out hunting for birds' eggs without him.
(d) East, Martin, and Arthur are leaving him out of their adventures.
3. What is essentially East's character?
(a) The idea that he cannot stand hypocrisy.
(b) The idea that education is not important.
(c) He is enthusiastic and lovable.
(d) He is lazy and uneducated.
4. What does East admit to Tom?
(a) He is not a Christian.
(b) He had never been to church before attending Rugby.
(c) He has never been baptized.
(d) He has never been confirmed.
5. What piece of news does the School Nurse give Tom?
(a) He will be living in different quarters.
(b) He has been assigned the large study he wants.
(c) He has a severe fever.
(d) He is expelled from Rugby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom understand about his relationship with Arthur?
2. What does the Doctor tell Young Brooke?
3. According to the narrator, how must a young man fight?
4. What does East do for Tom during the fight?
5. Who comes out to see what is going on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Arthur worried about Tom's safety in the fight?
2. Why is the farmer on the look-out for boys from Rugby?
3. Why is Arthur crying in Tom's study?
4. How does Tom feel about mentoring Arthur?
5. What does Tom do when he finds out about the Doctor's death?
6. Is the fight a typical school brawl? Explain.
7. In what debate does Tom take part? With whom is the debate?
8. Two years have passed. How are Arthur, Martin, East, and Tom doing?
9. What does Tom think of Arthur's mother?
10. The narrator asks the reader to pardon Tom for being filled with more thoughts of the Doctor than of God. What is his explanation for Tom's behavior?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)