|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other boys at the school do because they want to gain the favor of the Doctor?
(a) Behave in class.
(b) Attend church services.
(c) Get confirmed.
(d) Bring him gifts.
2. Where has Martin gone?
(a) Back home.
(b) On a trip to Australia.
(c) He is on an expedition to the South Seas.
(d) To a school in London.
3. What promise has Tom broken?
(a) To be friends with all the boys.
(b) To take care of Arthur.
(c) To his mother to say his prayers every night.
(d) To study.
4. What does the narrator suggest all boys reading the book should learn?
(a) To break up fights.
(b) To wrestle.
(c) To be convincing.
(d) To box.
5. What move gets questioned by the boys watching?
(a) An upper cut to the jaw.
(b) A choke hold.
(c) The wrestling throw Tom learned in Chapter 3.
(d) A wrestling pin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does East tell Tom to avoid the worst of Williams' blows?
2. What does Tom discover about the Doctor?
3. Why is anyone who dares to taunt Tom quickly silenced?
4. What rumor is spreading?
5. What does Young Brooke have Tom and Williams do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumor becomes reality?
2. Is the fight a typical school brawl? Explain.
3. Why is the farmer on the look-out for boys from Rugby?
4. How does this chapter begin?
5. What does Tom's reaction during a debate over the Old Testament with East and Arthur show about his idea of compromise?
6. Two years have passed. How are Arthur, Martin, East, and Tom doing?
7. How does Arthur's body handle the trek to the kestrel's nest?
8. How does East get himself into trouble, regarding the farmer?
9. How does Tom try to keep his promise to Arthur?
10. What do the boys watching begin to debate?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)