|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who teaches Tom how to wrestle?
(a) The boys attending the local private school.
(b) The two farm hands.
(c) The sons of the village laborers.
(d) The Squire.
2. What happens to Tom and East's reputations?
(a) Their heroic reputations last for the rest of the school year.
(b) Their blackened reputations linger long after Flashman leaves.
(c) The other boys do not take the rumors seriously, so the reputations do not last.
(d) Tom and East ignore them.
3. What are the excellent qualities of the Brown family?
(a) Faith, hope, and charity.
(b) Wealth, prosperity, and strength.
(c) Kindness, love, and modesty.
(d) Strength, courage, and determination.
4. Who tells Tom stories about the wild misbehavior of the other Rugby boys he had met?
(a) The boys he meets at school.
(b) The owner of the roadside inn.
(c) His father.
(d) The coachman.
5. How do Tom and East help Diggs?
(a) The save him from Flashman's beatings.
(b) They steal Diggs' personal belongings and auction them off to the other boys.
(c) They yells obscenities at Flashman.
(d) They use their saved pocket money to buy back some of Diggs' things and return them to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though the Doctor, the head of their house, has strong new ideas that some might think go against the school's traditions, what should the boys do?
2. What is Tom's reaction to his father's speech?
3. Why is East so confident in his knowledge and his worth, even though he has only been at Rugby for six months?
4. How does Flashman end up on the floor, bleeding?
5. How is the meal in the common room and roll call?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator believe young men may better themselves?
2. Describe the Squire's final words to his son.
3. How do Tom, East, and Diggs get back at Flashman?
4. How does Tom's first full year begin?
5. What is Tom's overall feel of the day?
6. How do Tom and East behave after Flashman leaves the school?
7. What two incidents teach Tom the foolishness of this poor attitude?
8. When does Flashman's bullying become dangerous?
9. What is different about the way Tom travels to school from how one travels to school in the twenty-first century?
10. What happens later in the trip?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)