|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tom's reaction to his father's speech?
2. Why is East so confident in his knowledge and his worth, even though he has only been at Rugby for six months?
(a) By simply being at Rugby.
(b) He can see Tom is unsure of himself.
(c) He has been enrolled in public school before.
(d) He is older than most students in his grade.
3. Although the boys are frightened, what do they do to Flashman?
(a) They taunt him.
(b) They report him to the Doctor.
(c) Flashman is quickly overwhelmed by the younger, faster, more agile boys.
(d) Flashman is tied up and dangled near the fire.
4. How does Flashman now treat Tom?
(a) He treats him with the utmost respect.
(b) He no longer bullies him physically, but he taunts him verbally at every opportunity.
(c) He still beats him.
(d) He ignores Tom.
5. What does Flashman do when he discovers Tom and East by the fire together?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He apologizes.
(c) He tries to give them orders.
(d) He physically abuses them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrative voice shift?
2. Who is timing the boys?
3. Instead of focusing on increasing their level of sophistication and the amount of money they possess,What would young men be able to do?
4. What does Tom's reaction to his father's speech reveal?
5. What does Tom think about this day?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Flashman's bullying become dangerous?
2. What happens later in the evening?
3. How does Tom react to his father's words?
4. What action makes Tom proud of himself?
5. How does Tom's first full year begin?
6. What takes place during the football game?
7. What is different about the way Tom travels to school from how one travels to school in the twenty-first century?
8. What two incidents teach Tom the foolishness of this poor attitude?
9. Where does Benjy take Tom? What happens as a result?
10. How do Tom and East rebel against Flashman's treatment of them?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)