|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Tom and East sent up to see the Doctor to take their punishment?
(a) They arrive late to their first class in the morning.
(b) They are laughing during his sermon.
(c) They refuse to turn in their homework.
(d) They arrive late to school after a cross-country chase.
2. What does Old Brooke encourage all the boys to do?
(a) Annoy the teachers and not study.
(b) To bribe other students to do their work for them.
(c) To bully the younger students.
(d) Work and play with integrity and courage and to endure bullying the same way.
3. Why is Tom so proud?
(a) He enjoys the inn.
(b) He's acting just like a grownup.
(c) He is wealthier than all the other boys at the school.
(d) He loves his mother.
4. How is Tom's mother known?
(a) Miss Brown.
(b) Madam Brown.
(c) Rachel Brown.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
5. Who tells Tom stories about the wild misbehavior of the other Rugby boys he had met?
(a) His father.
(b) The boys he meets at school.
(c) The coachman.
(d) The owner of the roadside inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom buy sausages to share with the other boys in their house?
2. What leads to Tom panicking and starting for the door to fetch the nurse?
3. What does East tell Tom?
4. Even though the Doctor, the head of their house, has strong new ideas that some might think go against the school's traditions, what should the boys do?
5. What happens shortly after Tom's arrival to a private school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What key themes appear in this chapter?
2. Where does Benjy take Tom? What happens as a result?
3. How are the two church services for Tom?
4. What does Old Brooke say in his speech?
5. How does Tom take East's warning about Flashman?
6. What two incidents teach Tom the foolishness of this poor attitude?
7. How is Tom's life at Rugby School?
8. How does Tom's first full year begin?
9. How does Tom come to attend Rugby?
10. What is different about the way Tom travels to school from how one travels to school in the twenty-first century?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)