|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tom more eagerly move into acceptance of his new role?
(a) He has made new friends.
(b) He realizes he needs a tutor.
(c) He realizes that with responsibility comes status.
(d) He dislikes the Doctor.
2. What surprises and startles Tom?
(a) East's cough.
(b) The Doctor's orders.
(c) Arthur's fever.
(d) Arthur's appearance.
3. Why do the four boys climb a tree?
(a) To get escape the farmer.
(b) To collect the eggs from the kestrel's nest.
(c) To catch a kestrel.
(d) To get a better vantage point.
4. How do the two fighters treat one another, once Young Brooke steps in?
(a) They detest one another.
(b) No better than before.
(c) Worse than before.
(d) With respect.
5. What is Tom determined to avoid?
(b) Doing school work.
6. Why does the farmer chase the boys?
(a) They are hose thieves.
(b) Boys have been stealing horses from his farm and he is suspicious of these four boys.
(c) Boys have been stealing birds from his farm and he is suspicious of these four boys.
(d) They have stolen his duck.
7. What do the boys wonder about the move?
(a) Where Tom learned the move.
(b) Whether or not it is safe.
(c) How to do it.
(d) Whether or not it is legal.
8. What is the novel's central theme?
(a) The importance of human relationships.
(b) Fighting is an innate part of humanity.
(c) As an adult, one must be independent.
(d) One learns important lessons when away at school.
9. What has increased in Tom's life?
(a) The time he spends with Diggs.
(b) The time he spends with East.
(c) The amount of time he spends with Arthur.
(d) The amount of school work.
10. What does Tom discover about the Doctor?
(a) He did not die after all.
(b) He has been buried in the Chapel.
(c) He is cremated.
(d) He is buried at sea.
11. When does Tom decide he is acting foolish?
(a) He realizes they did not spread the rumors.
(b) When cheating on a test did not help him pass it.
(c) They allow him to join them.
(d) He sees how excited and happy Arthur has become.
12. Who dies and is buried after a funeral service and sermon conducted by the Doctor?
(c) The Nurse.
(d) One of the first students to catch the fever.
13. Tom and East return to Rugby, after a holiday, full of what?
(a) Fear and anxiety.
(b) Excitement and plans for the new term.
(c) Anxiousness and stress.
(d) Regret and despair.
14. Who comes out to see what is going on?
(a) The Doctor.
(b) The School Nurse.
(d) The Squire.
15. What does East admit to Tom?
(a) He is not a Christian.
(b) He has never been confirmed.
(c) He has never been baptized.
(d) He had never been to church before attending Rugby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does East do for Tom during the fight?
2. A few weeks before Arthur was to be sent to Rugby, what happens to his father and mother?
3. What does Tom do after he receives the news of the Doctor's death?
4. What promise has Tom broken?
5. What does Tom do after he writes his mother a letter?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)