|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Arthur experience a spiritual vision?
(a) During a church service.
(b) In class.
(c) When his fever is most intense.
(d) During his sleep.
2. What surprises and startles Tom?
(a) Arthur's appearance.
(b) Arthur's fever.
(c) The Doctor's orders.
(d) East's cough.
3. What else does Tom and the teacher debate?
(a) Who should be the prime minister.
(b) Whether Rugby or the London team will win.
(c) Which pub has the best beer.
(d) Whether the changes in the running of the school made by the Doctor are positive or negative.
4. Of what does Young Brooke convince the Doctor?
(a) The boys are only playing.
(b) The fight is dangerous and the boys should be punished.
(c) There was no fight.
(d) The fight was not necessarily a bad thing,
5. What does the narrator find to be a necessity and an aspect of human nature?
6. What rumor is spreading?
(a) That Williams and Tom will fight again.
(c) A rash.
(d) A potentially dangerous fever has started to spread through the school.
7. How do "we...come to the knowledge of Him?"
(a) "It is only through our mysterious human relationships..."
(b) "It is only through daily prayer..."
(c) "It is only through constant devotion and ritual..."
(d) "It is only through sacrifice and love..."
8. What does the Doctor tell Young Brooke?
(a) To continue the fight tomorrow.
(b) To send the boys to him.
(c) To make sure the fight does not resume.
(d) To punish the boys himself.
9. What does Tom understand about his relationship with Arthur?
(a) It will last for the rest of their lives.
(b) It has grown deeper over the passing years.
(c) All the good that has come into his life is due to his relationship with Arthur.
(d) Arthur's success in school is all due to Tom.
10. What does Arthur speak about at length?
(a) His joy of seeing his friends again.
(b) His father.
(c) His love of Rugby School.
(d) His fear of, and resistance to, death.
11. How does East tell Tom to avoid the worst of Williams' blows?
(a) Use speed and agility.
(b) To hit him first.
(c) To use power and might.
(d) To run away.
12. What is essentially East's character?
(a) He is enthusiastic and lovable.
(b) He is lazy and uneducated.
(c) The idea that education is not important.
(d) The idea that he cannot stand hypocrisy.
13. Why does Tom get into a fight?
(a) Williams threatens to beat Arthur.
(b) Williams threatens him.
(c) Williams steals something from him.
(d) He taunts Williams.
14. Where does Tom travel after he leaves Rugby School?
(a) New York.
(b) To his parents' home.
15. Where has Martin gone?
(a) On a trip to Australia.
(b) Back home.
(c) To a school in London.
(d) He is on an expedition to the South Seas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arthur's mother had been born into high society. How does she feel about the quiet rural life she shared with her husband?
2. How does Tom quickly gain the upper hand?
3. What has increased in Tom's life?
4. Tom and East return to Rugby, after a holiday, full of what?
5. How does Tom defend Arthur from the taunts of some of the older boys?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)