|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even though the Doctor, the head of their house, has strong new ideas that some might think go against the school's traditions, what should the boys do?
(a) Try to have him replaced.
(b) Respect him.
(c) Tease him.
(d) Ignore him.
2. How is the relationship between Squire Brown and Tom?
(b) A gruff intimacy.
3. What are the excellent qualities of the Brown family?
(a) Wealth, prosperity, and strength.
(b) Kindness, love, and modesty.
(c) Strength, courage, and determination.
(d) Faith, hope, and charity.
4. What causes a teacher and several others to change their view of Tom from respect to wariness?
(a) Bullying young students.
(b) Stealing from other students.
(c) Playing in the teacher's desk,
(d) Arguing with the teachers.
5. Who shows Tom around the school?
(c) The Doctor.
6. What does Tom's landowning family rarely, if ever, do?
(a) Sell property to other families.
(b) Leave the county in which Tom is born.
(c) Stay at home.
(d) Leave London.
7. Why is there a shift?
(a) The author intends to give the reader a more immediate sense of Tom's experience.
(b) The author is being creative.
(c) The author is trying to make the story more exciting.
(d) The author is trying to confuse the reader.
8. How does Flashman end up on the floor, bleeding?
(a) Tom uses boxing moves he had learned.
(b) East kicks him to the ground.
(c) He trips on his shoelace.
(d) Tom uses some of the wrestling moves he had learned.
9. How does Tom watch the combat?
(a) With fear.
(b) With anxiety.
(c) With a sense of boredom.
(d) With excitement.
10. What does the Doctor's sermon encourage?
(a) To follow all his instructions.
(b) The boys to live for their education here at Rugby.
(c) The boys to pray every night.
(d) The boys to live life well, rather than let it pass by them.
11. What is a traditional, local village fair with booths of food for sale, games of chance, and contests of physical strength and courage?
(a) The festival.
(b) The fete.
(c) The celebration.
(d) The veast.
12. In what are his words grounded?
(a) Sadness and fear.
(b) Envy and jealously
(c) Genuine affection and concern.
(d) Hope and love.
13. What happens to Benjy when he tries the potion?
(a) He become violently ill.
(b) He is healed.
(c) He breaks out in hives.
(d) He becomes less and less able to move.
14. What does Flashman frequently do to Diggs?
(a) Beat him.
(b) Gives his own belongings to Diggs.
(c) Verbally abuse him.
(d) Steals his belongings and auctions them off to the other boys.
15. How do both Tom and East feel?
(b) Excited and full of energy.
(c) They are both stiff and in pain after both the game and the tossing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrative voice shift?
2. Why does Tom buy sausages to share with the other boys in their house?
3. What is Tom's reaction to his father's speech?
4. How does Tom feel about helping Diggs?
5. What game is East's house going to play?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)