|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a traditional, local village fair with booths of food for sale, games of chance, and contests of physical strength and courage?
(a) The veast.
(b) The festival.
(c) The celebration.
(d) The fete.
2. What is the tone of the Squire's words to his son?
(a) It is cheerful and boisterous.
(b) It is careful and rational.
(c) It is quick and witty.
(d) It is sad and distressing.
3. What does Tom ask East regarding Brooke?
(a) If Brooke will let Tom play in the game.
(b) If Brooke is the team captain.
(c) If Brooke is mean.
(d) If Brooke is good at playing football.
4. Where are the students headed after roll call?
(a) A meeting.
(b) The football pitch.
(c) To a movie.
(d) Their dormatories.
5. How does Tom watch the combat?
(a) With excitement.
(b) With a sense of boredom.
(c) With anxiety.
(d) With fear.
6. What does the Doctor's sermon encourage?
(a) The boys to pray every night.
(b) The boys to live for their education here at Rugby.
(c) To follow all his instructions.
(d) The boys to live life well, rather than let it pass by them.
7. What does Tom endure?
(a) A difficult first day at Rugby.
(b) A boring conversation with Flashman.
(c) An early morning role call.
(d) The blanket tossing without complaint, even though he feels frightened.
8. This novel tells the story of a rambunctious young student. Where is he located?
(a) A traditional English all-boys school in the mid-1800s.
(b) An Australian prep school in the early 1900s.
(c) A public school in the Bronx in the mi-1970s.
(d) An American all-boys school in the early 1800s.
9. Who takes control of the school when Old Brooke and other older boys leave?
(a) More responsible boys, such as Flashman.
(b) Bullies like Flashman and his crowd of friends.
(c) The Doctor and the other teachers.
(d) Tom and his friends.
10. When does Tom arrive at his destination?
(b) During teatime.
(c) In the winter.
(d) After breakfast.
11. Who does Tom's mother take in, train, and pass on to other jobs?
(a) Young women.
(c) Young men.
(d) Slave girls.
12. Tom starts his first full year in the company of East and several other young students who seem more interested in what than in concentrating on their lessons?
(a) Staying up late and sleeping in.
(b) Playing games and taunting their teachers.
(c) Football and other sports.
(d) Girls and their own appearances.
13. Instead of focusing on increasing their level of sophistication and the amount of money they possess,What would young men be able to do?
(a) "Value a man wholly and solely for what was in him."
(b) "Tease and torture a man who does not care about wealth and his standing in society."
(c) "Enjoy life and all its advantages."
(d) "Value to price of a pound and put it to good use."
14. What are the older boys drinking?
(b) Mild beer.
15. What does East warn Tom?
(a) Flashman will want Tom as a friend.
(b) Flashman and some of the older boys will come looking for them to play the game of tossing them in a blanket.
(c) School starts early in the morning.
(d) The curriculum at Rugby is very difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Tom how to wrestle?
2. What does Tom's reaction to his father's speech reveal?
3. What happens to Tom when East runs to get Diggs?
4. Who is staying with Tom at the roadside inn?
5. How would young men busy with intellectual pursuits, politics and social reform be much better off?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)