|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom's landowning family rarely, if ever, do?
(a) Leave the county in which Tom is born.
(b) Stay at home.
(c) Leave London.
(d) Sell property to other families.
2. How does Flashman now treat Tom?
(a) He treats him with the utmost respect.
(b) He still beats him.
(c) He ignores Tom.
(d) He no longer bullies him physically, but he taunts him verbally at every opportunity.
3. Where are the students headed after roll call?
(a) The football pitch.
(b) Their dormatories.
(c) A meeting.
(d) To a movie.
4. How is Tom's mother known?
(a) Miss Brown.
(b) Madam Brown.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Rachel Brown.
5. Instead of focusing on increasing their level of sophistication and the amount of money they possess,What would young men be able to do?
(a) "Value to price of a pound and put it to good use."
(b) "Value a man wholly and solely for what was in him."
(c) "Enjoy life and all its advantages."
(d) "Tease and torture a man who does not care about wealth and his standing in society."
6. What involves two men, each carrying a wooden cudgel or club, climbing into what might be described as a kind of boxing ring, and fighting to see who can make the other's scalp bleed first?
(a) Cudgel war.
(b) Ultimate fighting.
7. Why are Tom and East sent up to see the Doctor to take their punishment?
(a) They arrive late to school after a cross-country chase.
(b) They arrive late to their first class in the morning.
(c) They are laughing during his sermon.
(d) They refuse to turn in their homework.
8. When is Tom's father, the Squire, liberal?
(a) In his dealing out of money.
(b) When he is voting for politicians.
(c) When it comes to the women he dates.
(d) When it comes to the boys he believes with whom Tom could or should make friends.
9. Who is timing the boys?
(b) The boys' father.
(c) The coachman.
(d) The Squire.
10. How is the relationship between Squire Brown and Tom?
(d) A gruff intimacy.
11. Tom accompanies Benjy to the farm of an Old Man who reportedly knows what?
(a) How to drive a stagecoach.
(b) The medicinal powers of herbs.
(c) How to break a horse.
(d) How to play cudgel war.
12. What happens shortly after Tom's arrival to a private school?
(a) He becomes homesick and moves back home.
(b) He becomes friends with East.
(c) He is expelled for fighting.
(d) The boys are sent home as the result of an outbreak of flu.
13. Who does the narrator admire?
(a) People who travel all over the world.
(b) The characters of boys.
(c) Those who take advantage of what they have at home.
(d) The British citizens.
14. What happens to Benjy when he tries the potion?
(a) He breaks out in hives.
(b) He become violently ill.
(c) He is healed.
(d) He becomes less and less able to move.
15. What does Tom think about this day?
(a) It is uneventful.
(b) It is an anxious day.
(c) It is the saddest day he has ever had.
(d) It is the greatest day he would ever have.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tom headed?
2. Why do Tom and East go into the village?
3. What happens to Tom and East's reputations?
4. At one point, what does Flashman's bullying become?
5. How is the narration different from chapters one through three?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)