|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Macalister tell Mr. Ramsay about James' sailing abilities?
2. What helps Mr. Ramsay get his mind off his sorrow?
3. What does Lily complete at the end of the story?
4. What is Lily's description of the Rayleys?
5. How does Prue's pregnancy progress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Woolf is trying to convey about life in the novel?
2) Does she depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Ramsay family and friends?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the relationship between James and his sister, Cam, at the end of the novel.
2) What is the pact they make with one another, and how does it affect the voyage to the Lighthouse?
3) How do their feelings change during the trip to the lighthouse?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Virginia Woolf uses local color and imagery to describe the summerhouse.
2) Cite descriptive examples of rooms, décor, landscaping, the beach, and the view of the lighthouse.
3) Does the imagery Woolf uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the summerhouse and surrounding landscape.
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)