|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily's opinion of the dead?
2. What is the vow that James and Cam make to each other?
3. What are Minta's feelings about Paul's affair with another woman?
4. What work does George do at the summerhouse?
5. How does James react to his father's praise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Virginia Woolf uses local color and imagery to describe the summerhouse.
2) Cite descriptive examples of rooms, décor, landscaping, the beach, and the view of the lighthouse.
3) Does the imagery Woolf uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the summerhouse and surrounding landscape.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Mr. Tansley and Mr. Ramsay reveal their views toward women.
1) Summarize the attitudes these men display toward women. Cite examples from the story.
2) How do their attitudes toward women affect the way other characters in the novel react toward them?
Essay Topic 3
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Virginia Woolf's writing style, use of dialogue, stream of consciousness, imagery, and point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)