|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. McNab pick a bunch of flowers from the Ramsay's garden?
2. What is Lily's attitude toward Mr. Ramsay?
3. Why does Mr. Ramsay get angry and bang out of the room?
4. How does Lily see the blank canvas before her?
5. Why is Lily crying in anguish as she paints her picture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part II begins during a storm with the lighthouse's glow touching parts of the abandoned house.
1) How does Woolf use images of darkness, violent storms, and the shabbiness of the house to convey the tone of this part of the novel?
2) How does the condition of the house and the weather compare to the lives of the Ramsay family during Part II of the novel?
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The Lighthouse is one of the main constants throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all three parts of the story.
1) Explain the three different images Woolf gives of the lighthouse as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the lighthouse in each part of the novel?
3) What meaning does the lighthouse have for Mrs. Ramsay, James, Lily Briscoe, and Mr. Ramsay?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay. Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
2) How do their views differ on life, marriage, and children?
3) Which character is more realistic in his or her view of life? Explain.
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)