|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily feel about the sympathy that Mrs. Ramsay gives Mr. Ramsay?
2. What is the comment Andrew makes about women while they are looking for the brooch?
3. How does Mr. Ramsay feel about marriage engagements?
4. Why doesn't Nancy want to go on the walk with Paul and Minta?
5. How does Mrs. Ramsay feel young men regard her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lily contemplate about the dead as she thinks about what she would have told Mrs. Ramsay about the Rayley's relationship?
2. How does Lily Briscoe envision Mrs. Ramsay after she screams out Mrs. Ramsay's name in grief?
3. Describe why Mrs. Ramsay does not want her children to grow up.
4. Lily Briscoe sees Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay watching Prue and Jasper playing with a ball. What does she think the Ramsays symbolize?
5. What does Paul vow to do after Minta loses her grandmother's brooch?
6. Why does Mr. Ramsay think he cannot talk to his wife as she sits in the chair knitting after James goes to bed?
7. What are James' thoughts about his father when Mr. Ramsay predicts that the weather will not be good enough for the trip to the lighthouse?
8. As spring arrives, does it bring any joy to the summerhouse? Explain
9. Why doesn't Mrs. Ramsay allow her daughters to mock the atheist, Mr. Tansley?
10. Why is Mr. Ramsay enraged, pacing back and forth on the terrace?
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between James and his mother, Mrs. Ramsay.
2) How does Mr. Ramsay affect James' and his mother's relationship?
3) What does Mrs. Ramsay wish for James' future?
4) How does James feel about his mother at the end of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 2
1) Mrs. Ramsay feels James will always remember the disappointment of not going to the lighthouse.
2) When does James remember that day?
3) Where is he when he remembers and what is is he doing?
4) What kind of an emotional impact does the memory have on him?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the relationship between James and his sister, Cam, at the end of the novel.
2) What is the pact they make with one another, and how does it affect the voyage to the Lighthouse?
3) How do their feelings change during the trip to the lighthouse?
This section contains 1,891 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)