|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Ramsay so annoyed with Mr. Tansley, thinking him hateful?
2. What returns to Mr. Bankes as he begins to eat dinner?
3. How does Mrs. Ramsay determine which necklace to wear to dinner?
4. As Mrs. Ramsay strolls with Mr. Ramsay, who does she think should marry?
5. What is William Bankes' assessment of Lily Briscoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lily Briscoe become annoyed with Cam and James when they are finally ready to go to the Lighthouse?
2. What are James' thoughts about his father when Mr. Ramsay predicts that the weather will not be good enough for the trip to the lighthouse?
3. Lily Briscoe sees Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay watching Prue and Jasper playing with a ball. What does she think the Ramsays symbolize?
4. What is James' reaction when his father praises his sailing abilities?
5. What does Mr. Ramsay ponder is his fate as he looks out at the bay beneath the edge of the lawn?
6. What is Mr. Ramsay's reaction when Mr. Bankes and Lily Briscoe go through the opening in the hedge to find Ramsay loudly reciting poetry?
7. Summarize the conversation between Mr. Bankes and Lily Briscoe as they are strolling together.
8. What does William Bankes think about as he looks at the far sand hills while walking with Lily Biscoe?
9. Explain the comparison Lily Biscoe makes between Mr. Ramsay and William Bankes.
10. What is the description Mrs. Ramsay gives of Lily Briscoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Woolf is trying to convey about life in the novel?
2) Does she depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Ramsay family and friends?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between James and his mother, Mrs. Ramsay.
2) How does Mr. Ramsay affect James' and his mother's relationship?
3) What does Mrs. Ramsay wish for James' future?
4) How does James feel about his mother at the end of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze James coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into a young man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes James goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)