|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Ramsay think it is a good idea for her husband to spend time at the summerhouse?
2. Why doesn't Lily want to see the paintings of the great artists?
3. How does Mr. Bankes feel about Mrs. Ramsay as the talk at the dinner table?
4. How does Mrs. Ramsay feel after giving Mr. Ramsay the sympathy he needs?
5. What does Mr. Ramsay compare men's minds to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of mind of the family and guests of Mrs. Ramsay as dinner comes to an end?
2. What does William Bankes think about as he looks at the far sand hills while walking with Lily Biscoe?
3. Summarize the conversation between Mr. Bankes and Lily Briscoe as they are strolling together.
4. What is the description Mrs. Ramsay gives of Lily Briscoe?
5. What is Mr. Ramsay's reaction when Mr. Bankes and Lily Briscoe go through the opening in the hedge to find Ramsay loudly reciting poetry?
6. What does Lily Briscoe decide to do as she stares at the tablecloth with its leaf pattern she recognizes from years ago?
7. What message does the sea give to Lily Briscoe as she lies down to sleep after returning to the summerhouse?
8. How does Mrs. McNabb manage to get the house in order after she receives word that the Ramsay's are coming for the summer?
9. What does Mrs. Ramsay find odd about her husband as they walk arm in arm?
10. How does Lily Briscoe envision Mrs. Ramsay after she screams out Mrs. Ramsay's name in grief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Paul and Minta have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are at the beach.
2) Are their emotions authentic?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married. What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
5) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) Describe how Lily's words," It is finished", relate to James, Cam, Mr. Ramsay, Lily, and Mr. Carmichael.
Essay Topic 3
1) Mrs. Ramsay feels James will always remember the disappointment of not going to the lighthouse.
2) When does James remember that day?
3) Where is he when he remembers and what is is he doing?
4) What kind of an emotional impact does the memory have on him?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)