|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Ramsay quiet the children down, so they can sleep?
2. How does Mrs. Ramsay feel about her husband as she looks at him across the table?
3. Who is the only person Lily doesn't mind looking at her painting?
4. How does Lily feel about the sympathy that Mrs. Ramsay gives Mr. Ramsay?
5. Is Charles Tansley excited about the conversation the women are having
Short Essay Questions
1. What are James' and Cam's emotions as they sail to the Lighthouse with their father?
2. Cam resists her father's attempt at making her smile. What does she remember about her father as she tries to remain true to the pact she makes with James to resist Mr. Ramsay?
3. Lily wants to wake up Mr. Carmichael and talk to him about all the questions she has of life, death, and even Mrs. Ramsay. Why does she decide against waking him?
4. Summarize the description Mrs. Ramsay gives of her husband's self-esteem?
5. Lily Briscoe sees Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay watching Prue and Jasper playing with a ball. What does she think the Ramsays symbolize?
6. How does Lily describe the Ramsay's married life?
7. Summarize what Mrs. Ramsay is feeling as she sits at the head of the table, ladling soup to her family and friends.
8. Why does Mr. Ramsay think he cannot talk to his wife as she sits in the chair knitting after James goes to bed?
9. What does Paul vow to do after Minta loses her grandmother's brooch?
10. Describe nature's impact on the summerhouse as it remains empty after the deaths of Mrs. Ramsay, Prue, and Andrew.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Paul and Minta have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are at the beach.
2) Are their emotions authentic?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married. What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
5) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The Lighthouse is one of the main constants throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all three parts of the story.
1) Explain the three different images Woolf gives of the lighthouse as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the lighthouse in each part of the novel?
3) What meaning does the lighthouse have for Mrs. Ramsay, James, Lily Briscoe, and Mr. Ramsay?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare Lily Briscoe's thoughts and ideas as she paints the picture of Mrs. Ramsay and James in Part I of the novel to her starting the painting once again in Part III.
2) How does she feel about the painting in each of the two parts of the novel?
3) How do her views toward her art change from when she starts the painting to when she finishes the painting?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)