|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mr. Bankes enjoying the dinner party?
2. How does Mrs. Ramsay quiet the children down, so they can sleep?
3. Why can't the sleep once dinner is over?
4. What is Mrs. Ramsay sorry for after she tells James they cannot go to the Lighthouse?
5. What does Mrs. Ramsay regret will happen when her children are grown?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Ramsay so agitated about Nancy, Andrew, Minta, and Paul being late for supper?
2. What does Mr. Ramsay say to try and please his wife while they are walking on the grounds of the summerhouse?
3. What are James' thoughts about his father when Mr. Ramsay predicts that the weather will not be good enough for the trip to the lighthouse?
4. What is Mr. Carmichael's opinion of Lily when she refuses to give Mr. Ramsay the sympathy he is looking for?
5. Although Mrs. Ramsay describes the summerhouse they are renting as shabby, what does she like about being there?
6. What is the description Mrs. Ramsay gives of Lily Briscoe?
7. What message does the sea give to Lily Briscoe as she lies down to sleep after returning to the summerhouse?
8. As spring arrives, does it bring any joy to the summerhouse? Explain
9. What is the state of mind of the family and guests of Mrs. Ramsay as dinner comes to an end?
10. How does Mrs. McNabb manage to get the house in order after she receives word that the Ramsay's are coming for the summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Mr. Tansley and Mr. Ramsay reveal their views toward women.
1) Summarize the attitudes these men display toward women. Cite examples from the story.
2) How do their attitudes toward women affect the way other characters in the novel react toward them?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the relationship between James and his sister, Cam, at the end of the novel.
2) What is the pact they make with one another, and how does it affect the voyage to the Lighthouse?
3) How do their feelings change during the trip to the lighthouse?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Mr. Ramsay's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his children because of these changes?
This section contains 1,907 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)