|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Ramsay quiet the children down, so they can sleep?
2. Why does William Bankes see Mrs. Ramsay as child-like?
3. How does Mr. Ramsay react to being seen reciting poetry by Lily and Mr. Bankes?
4. What are the many places Mr. Bankes has traveled?
5. What does Lily feel the Ramsays are flooded with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lily Briscoe envision Mrs. Ramsay after she screams out Mrs. Ramsay's name in grief?
2. What does Lily contemplate about the dead as she thinks about what she would have told Mrs. Ramsay about the Rayley's relationship?
3. Why is Lily surprised by the tears streaming down her face as she reminisces while painting?
4. What are James' and Cam's emotions as they sail to the Lighthouse with their father?
5. What is the message in the note that Mrs. McNabb receives?
6. Describe the condition of the summerhouse after its years of neglect.
7. How does Mrs. McNabb manage to get the house in order after she receives word that the Ramsay's are coming for the summer?
8. Why does Cam feel happy as she lifts her hand out of the sea?
9. As Lily paints, she thinks of a time on the beach with Charles Tansley many years before. Mrs. Ramsay was sitting near them, writing letters, and watching. How does Lily believe Mrs. Ramsay affected the way she and Charles acted toward each other?
10. Summarize the description Mrs. Ramsay gives of her husband's self-esteem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Paul and Minta have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are at the beach.
2) Are their emotions authentic?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married. What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
5) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay. Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
2) How do their views differ on life, marriage, and children?
3) Which character is more realistic in his or her view of life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Mr. Ramsay's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his children because of these changes?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)