|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily's opinion of Mr. Ramsay?
2. What is Mrs. Ramsay sorry for after she tells James they cannot go to the Lighthouse?
3. What is the image the author gives of Mrs. Ramsay as she looks at her dinner guests?
4. How is Mr. Bankes enjoying the dinner party?
5. Why is Mrs. Ramsay annoyed with Mr. Ramsay when he calls the island a "poor little place"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mrs. Ramsay tucks James into bed and he asks about going to the Lighthouse. What is Mrs. Ramsay's response and what is she thinking as she answers James?
2. What does Mrs. Ramsay find odd about her husband as they walk arm in arm?
3. What is James' reaction when his father praises his sailing abilities?
4. How does Lily Briscoe interpret William Bankes' feelings for Mrs. Ramsay?
5. What does Mr. Ramsay ponder is his fate as he looks out at the bay beneath the edge of the lawn?
6. Cam resists her father's attempt at making her smile. What does she remember about her father as she tries to remain true to the pact she makes with James to resist Mr. Ramsay?
7. As Mrs. Ramsay gives the maids instructions during dinner, what is Mr. Bankes thinking?
8. What is Mr. Ramsay's reaction when Mr. Bankes and Lily Briscoe go through the opening in the hedge to find Ramsay loudly reciting poetry?
9. Describe why Mrs. Ramsay does not want her children to grow up.
10. Lily wants to wake up Mr. Carmichael and talk to him about all the questions she has of life, death, and even Mrs. Ramsay. Why does she decide against waking him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Woolf is trying to convey about life in the novel?
2) Does she depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Ramsay family and friends?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between James and his mother, Mrs. Ramsay.
2) How does Mr. Ramsay affect James' and his mother's relationship?
3) What does Mrs. Ramsay wish for James' future?
4) How does James feel about his mother at the end of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 3
1) Interpret the feelings Paul and Minta have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are at the beach.
2) Are their emotions authentic?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married. What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
5) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
This section contains 1,996 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)