|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul decide to do when they cannot find the brooch?
2. How does Mr. Ramsay feel about marriage engagements?
3. What does Mr. Bankes call Mr. Ramsay?
4. Why does Mrs. Ramsay think it is a good idea for her husband to spend time at the summerhouse?
5. Who says that the weather will not be nice enough for the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Andrew's description of Minta.
2. What are James' thoughts about his father when Mr. Ramsay predicts that the weather will not be good enough for the trip to the lighthouse?
3. Why does Mr. Ramsay become so angry with his wife when she is measuring James' leg for the stockings she is knitting?
4. Why is Mr. Ramsay enraged, pacing back and forth on the terrace?
5. How does Mrs. McNabb manage to get the house in order after she receives word that the Ramsay's are coming for the summer?
6. What are the two events that are finished in the final chapter of the book?
7. What are James' and Cam's emotions as they sail to the Lighthouse with their father?
8. Although Mrs. Ramsay describes the summerhouse they are renting as shabby, what does she like about being there?
9. What does Mrs. Ramsay find odd about her husband as they walk arm in arm?
10. How does Lily Briscoe envision Mrs. Ramsay after she screams out Mrs. Ramsay's name in grief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze James coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into a young man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes James goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The Lighthouse is one of the main constants throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all three parts of the story.
1) Explain the three different images Woolf gives of the lighthouse as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the lighthouse in each part of the novel?
3) What meaning does the lighthouse have for Mrs. Ramsay, James, Lily Briscoe, and Mr. Ramsay?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mrs. Ramsay and Lily Briscoe.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in her view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as women differ? Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)