|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul decide to do when they cannot find the brooch?
2. Why does Mrs. Ramsay like Lily Briscoe?
3. What was the worst moment of Paul's life?
4. What does Lily contemplate as the dinner winds down, and people leave the table?
5. Why is Mrs. Ramsay annoyed with Mr. Ramsay when he calls the island a "poor little place"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message does the sea give to Lily Briscoe as she lies down to sleep after returning to the summerhouse?
2. What does James remember while he sits in the stillness of the boat on the way to the Lighthouse?
3. What does Mr. Ramsay want his wife to say to him when he finishes reading and she finishes her knitting? How does she react to what he wants?
4. How does Mrs. Ramsay view life as a lighthouse keeper?
5. Describe the scene as Mr. Bankes, Prue, Andrew, and Lily turn off the lights before going to bed.
6. What does William Bankes think about as he looks at the far sand hills while walking with Lily Biscoe?
7. Summarize Andrew's description of Minta.
8. Why does Mr. Ramsay interrupt James and his wife as they read a book?
9. Why does Mr. Ramsay become so angry with his wife when she is measuring James' leg for the stockings she is knitting?
10. Although Mrs. Ramsay describes the summerhouse they are renting as shabby, what does she like about being there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay. Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
2) How do their views differ on life, marriage, and children?
3) Which character is more realistic in his or her view of life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the message Woolf is trying to convey about life in the novel?
2) Does she depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Ramsay family and friends?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 3
The Lighthouse is one of the main constants throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all three parts of the story.
1) Explain the three different images Woolf gives of the lighthouse as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the lighthouse in each part of the novel?
3) What meaning does the lighthouse have for Mrs. Ramsay, James, Lily Briscoe, and Mr. Ramsay?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)