|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily feel about the sympathy that Mrs. Ramsay gives Mr. Ramsay?
2. What does Prue feel about her mother as she sees her standing on the stairs?
3. What is Mr. Ramsay afraid will happen if Andrew doesn't work harder?
4. How does Mrs. Ramsay clean her mind from all the odds of the day after dinner is over?
5. What is the image the author gives of Mrs. Ramsay as she looks at her dinner guests?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Ramsay view life as a lighthouse keeper?
2. How does Mrs. McNabb manage to get the house in order after she receives word that the Ramsay's are coming for the summer?
3. Explain the comparison Lily Biscoe makes between Mr. Ramsay and William Bankes.
4. How does Lily Briscoe envision Mrs. Ramsay after she screams out Mrs. Ramsay's name in grief?
5. How does Lily Briscoe justify being a single woman?
6. What are Prue's feelings for her mother, as she sees Mrs. Ramsay at the top of the stairs?
7. What is Mr. Ramsay's reaction when Mr. Bankes and Lily Briscoe go through the opening in the hedge to find Ramsay loudly reciting poetry?
8. As Lily paints, she thinks of a time on the beach with Charles Tansley many years before. Mrs. Ramsay was sitting near them, writing letters, and watching. How does Lily believe Mrs. Ramsay affected the way she and Charles acted toward each other?
9. Describe nature's impact on the summerhouse as it remains empty after the deaths of Mrs. Ramsay, Prue, and Andrew.
10. Why is Lily surprised by the tears streaming down her face as she reminisces while painting?
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Paul and Minta have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are at the beach.
2) Are their emotions authentic?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married. What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
5) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Mr. Tansley and Mr. Ramsay reveal their views toward women.
1) Summarize the attitudes these men display toward women. Cite examples from the story.
2) How do their attitudes toward women affect the way other characters in the novel react toward them?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare Lily Briscoe's thoughts and ideas as she paints the picture of Mrs. Ramsay and James in Part I of the novel to her starting the painting once again in Part III.
2) How does she feel about the painting in each of the two parts of the novel?
3) How do her views toward her art change from when she starts the painting to when she finishes the painting?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)