|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Ramsay react to being seen reciting poetry by Lily and Mr. Bankes?
2. How is Mr. Bankes enjoying the dinner party?
3. What is Mrs. Ramsay bringing to the Lighthouse for the keeper's ailing son?
4. How does Lily feel about the sympathy that Mrs. Ramsay gives Mr. Ramsay?
5. Is Charles Tansley excited about the conversation the women are having
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mrs. Ramsay allow her daughters to mock the atheist, Mr. Tansley?
2. What are Prue's feelings for her mother, as she sees Mrs. Ramsay at the top of the stairs?
3. Lily Briscoe sees Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay watching Prue and Jasper playing with a ball. What does she think the Ramsays symbolize?
4. Describe the condition of the summerhouse after its years of neglect.
5. How does Lily describe the Ramsay's married life?
6. Summarize the description Mrs. Ramsay gives of her husband's self-esteem?
7. Summarize what Mrs. Ramsay is feeling as she sits at the head of the table, ladling soup to her family and friends.
8. What message does the sea give to Lily Briscoe as she lies down to sleep after returning to the summerhouse?
9. What does Lily Briscoe decide to do as she stares at the tablecloth with its leaf pattern she recognizes from years ago?
10. Describe the Ramsay's summerhouse now that Mrs. Ramsay has died.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Mr. Ramsay's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his children because of these changes?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss the inner thoughts of the characters attending the dinner prepared by Mrs. Ramsay.
2) Explain how Woolf uses stream of consciousness to give the reader a better understanding of the characters.
3) How do the characters' conversations differ from the inner thoughts revealed through stream of consciousness?
4) Give examples of the thoughts of each guest.
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Lily Briscoe grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward the Ramsay's?
3) How does her attitude about her lifestyle change?
4) What are the differences in her attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)