|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Ramsay become angry with Augustus during dinner?
2. Why is Mrs. Ramsay concerned when the sound of the children playing and the men talking suddenly stops?
3. What is the comment Andrew makes about women while they are looking for the brooch?
4. What is William Bankes' assessment of Lily Briscoe?
5. Why is Minta terrified that they will not find the brooch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does William Bankes think about as he looks at the far sand hills while walking with Lily Biscoe?
2. What does Mr. Ramsay ponder is his fate as he looks out at the bay beneath the edge of the lawn?
3. What is the message in the note that Mrs. McNabb receives?
4. How does Mrs. McNabb manage to get the house in order after she receives word that the Ramsay's are coming for the summer?
5. Describe nature's impact on the summerhouse as it remains empty after the deaths of Mrs. Ramsay, Prue, and Andrew.
6. Describe why Mrs. Ramsay does not want her children to grow up.
7. What are Prue's feelings for her mother, as she sees Mrs. Ramsay at the top of the stairs?
8. Why does Lily Briscoe become annoyed with Cam and James when they are finally ready to go to the Lighthouse?
9. Describe the scene as Mr. Bankes, Prue, Andrew, and Lily turn off the lights before going to bed.
10. Explain the comparison Lily Biscoe makes between Mr. Ramsay and William Bankes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Mr. Ramsay's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his children because of these changes?
Essay Topic 2
1) Mrs. Ramsay feels James will always remember the disappointment of not going to the lighthouse.
2) When does James remember that day?
3) Where is he when he remembers and what is is he doing?
4) What kind of an emotional impact does the memory have on him?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze James coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into a young man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes James goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)