|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are James and his mother planning to take a trip?
2. Why doesn't Nancy want to go on the walk with Paul and Minta?
3. What does Mrs. Ramsay regret will happen when her children are grown?
4. Why is Minta terrified that they will not find the brooch?
5. How does Lily react to the rapture that Mr. Bankes feels toward Mrs. Ramsay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lily Briscoe envision Mrs. Ramsay after she screams out Mrs. Ramsay's name in grief?
2. What does Lily contemplate about the dead as she thinks about what she would have told Mrs. Ramsay about the Rayley's relationship?
3. What are James' thoughts of his mother as he waits at the tiller for the breeze to fill the sails?
4. What does Mr. Ramsay ponder is his fate as he looks out at the bay beneath the edge of the lawn?
5. What are Prue's feelings for her mother, as she sees Mrs. Ramsay at the top of the stairs?
6. What does Lily Briscoe decide to do as she stares at the tablecloth with its leaf pattern she recognizes from years ago?
7. Why doesn't Mrs. Ramsay allow her daughters to mock the atheist, Mr. Tansley?
8. How does Lily describe the Ramsay's married life?
9. What does William Bankes think about as he looks at the far sand hills while walking with Lily Biscoe?
10. Summarize the description Mrs. Ramsay gives of her husband's self-esteem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Woolf is trying to convey about life in the novel?
2) Does she depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Ramsay family and friends?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare Lily Briscoe's thoughts and ideas as she paints the picture of Mrs. Ramsay and James in Part I of the novel to her starting the painting once again in Part III.
2) How does she feel about the painting in each of the two parts of the novel?
3) How do her views toward her art change from when she starts the painting to when she finishes the painting?
Essay Topic 3
The Lighthouse is one of the main constants throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all three parts of the story.
1) Explain the three different images Woolf gives of the lighthouse as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the lighthouse in each part of the novel?
3) What meaning does the lighthouse have for Mrs. Ramsay, James, Lily Briscoe, and Mr. Ramsay?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)