|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person Lily doesn't mind looking at her painting?
2. Why does William Bankes see Mrs. Ramsay as child-like?
3. What does Minta realize she lost when they reach the top of the cliff?
4. How does Mrs. Ramsay quiet the children down, so they can sleep?
5. Where are James and his mother planning to take a trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. As spring arrives, does it bring any joy to the summerhouse? Explain
2. Describe the way Lily feels while she is painting after Mr. Ramsay leaves for the Lighthouse.
3. How does Lily Briscoe justify being a single woman?
4. What is the message in the note that Mrs. McNabb receives?
5. How does Lily describe the Ramsay's married life?
6. Explain the comparison Lily Biscoe makes between Mr. Ramsay and William Bankes.
7. Lily wants to wake up Mr. Carmichael and talk to him about all the questions she has of life, death, and even Mrs. Ramsay. Why does she decide against waking him?
8. What is James' reaction when his father praises his sailing abilities?
9. Why is Mrs. Ramsay so agitated about Nancy, Andrew, Minta, and Paul being late for supper?
10. What does Mrs. Ramsay compare herself to when she begins dinner without asking Nancy, Andrew, Minta, and Paul why they are late?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lighthouse is one of the main constants throughout the novel. It is mentioned in all three parts of the story.
1) Explain the three different images Woolf gives of the lighthouse as the book progresses.
2) What is the significance of the lighthouse in each part of the novel?
3) What meaning does the lighthouse have for Mrs. Ramsay, James, Lily Briscoe, and Mr. Ramsay?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss the inner thoughts of the characters attending the dinner prepared by Mrs. Ramsay.
2) Explain how Woolf uses stream of consciousness to give the reader a better understanding of the characters.
3) How do the characters' conversations differ from the inner thoughts revealed through stream of consciousness?
4) Give examples of the thoughts of each guest.
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between James and his mother, Mrs. Ramsay.
2) How does Mr. Ramsay affect James' and his mother's relationship?
3) What does Mrs. Ramsay wish for James' future?
4) How does James feel about his mother at the end of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
This section contains 1,875 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)