|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Ramsay quiet the children down, so they can sleep?
2. How does Mrs. Ramsay clean her mind from all the odds of the day after dinner is over?
3. What is it that Mr. Ramsay wants Mrs. Ramsay to say to him, but she is unable to?
4. Which of her children does Mrs. Ramsay want to stay young?
5. What makes Mr. Ramsay a happy man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are James' and Cam's emotions as they sail to the Lighthouse with their father?
2. How does Mrs. McNabb manage to get the house in order after she receives word that the Ramsay's are coming for the summer?
3. Mrs. Ramsay tucks James into bed and he asks about going to the Lighthouse. What is Mrs. Ramsay's response and what is she thinking as she answers James?
4. Why doesn't Mrs. Ramsay allow her daughters to mock the atheist, Mr. Tansley?
5. What does Mr. Ramsay want his wife to say to him when he finishes reading and she finishes her knitting? How does she react to what he wants?
6. Why is Lily surprised by the tears streaming down her face as she reminisces while painting?
7. How does Lily Briscoe interpret William Bankes' feelings for Mrs. Ramsay?
8. What are the two events that are finished in the final chapter of the book?
9. What does James remember while he sits in the stillness of the boat on the way to the Lighthouse?
10. Why does James consider taking a knife and stabbing his father through the heart?
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the relationship between James and his sister, Cam, at the end of the novel.
2) What is the pact they make with one another, and how does it affect the voyage to the Lighthouse?
3) How do their feelings change during the trip to the lighthouse?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze James coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into a young man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes James goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Mrs. Ramsay and Lily Briscoe.
2) Summarize the impact each character has on one another.
3) How is each character realistic in her view toward life, considering the time period in which the story takes place?
4) How do their roles as women differ? Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 1,909 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)