|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Ramsay so worried about the way her son, Jasper, passes the time?
2. What does Lily contemplate as the dinner winds down, and people leave the table?
3. Why is Mrs. Ramsay so annoyed with Mr. Tansley, thinking him hateful?
4. What does Mrs. Ramsay think she could have managed better in her 50 years?
5. What is Lily's opinion about human relationships?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Lily paints, she thinks of a time on the beach with Charles Tansley many years before. Mrs. Ramsay was sitting near them, writing letters, and watching. How does Lily believe Mrs. Ramsay affected the way she and Charles acted toward each other?
2. What does Mrs. Ramsay find odd about her husband as they walk arm in arm?
3. Why does Mr. Ramsay interrupt James and his wife as they read a book?
4. Summarize what Mrs. Ramsay is feeling as she sits at the head of the table, ladling soup to her family and friends.
5. How does Lily Briscoe interpret William Bankes' feelings for Mrs. Ramsay?
6. Describe the outcome of the marriage between Minta and Paul as Lily depicts it.
7. Describe the Ramsay's summerhouse now that Mrs. Ramsay has died.
8. What does Mr. Tansley do to predict the weather for the outing to the lighthouse?
9. Although Mrs. Ramsay describes the summerhouse they are renting as shabby, what does she like about being there?
10. What are the two events that are finished in the final chapter of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Lily Briscoe grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward the Ramsay's?
3) How does her attitude about her lifestyle change?
4) What are the differences in her attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Paul and Minta have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are at the beach.
2) Are their emotions authentic?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married. What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
5) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Lily Briscoe and Mr. Bankes.
2) Are they a good match?
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of the friendship? Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)