|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that the weather will not be nice enough for the trip?
2. Why is Nancy brooding?
3. What responsibility falls on Mrs. Ramsay's shoulders as she watches her guests remain distant from one another?
4. What does Lily feel the Ramsays are flooded with?
5. What does Mr. Ramsay tell James as Mrs. Ramsay is measuring his foot for the stockings?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Lily paints, she thinks of a time on the beach with Charles Tansley many years before. Mrs. Ramsay was sitting near them, writing letters, and watching. How does Lily believe Mrs. Ramsay affected the way she and Charles acted toward each other?
2. What are the two events that are finished in the final chapter of the book?
3. Describe the condition of the summerhouse after its years of neglect.
4. How does Lily describe the Ramsay's married life?
5. Describe the Ramsay's summerhouse now that Mrs. Ramsay has died.
6. What are James' thoughts about his father when Mr. Ramsay predicts that the weather will not be good enough for the trip to the lighthouse?
7. What is the message in the note that Mrs. McNabb receives?
8. Summarize the description Mrs. Ramsay gives of her husband's self-esteem?
9. What are Prue's feelings for her mother, as she sees Mrs. Ramsay at the top of the stairs?
10. What is Mr. Ramsay's reaction when Mr. Bankes and Lily Briscoe go through the opening in the hedge to find Ramsay loudly reciting poetry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the relationship between James and his sister, Cam, at the end of the novel.
2) What is the pact they make with one another, and how does it affect the voyage to the Lighthouse?
3) How do their feelings change during the trip to the lighthouse?
Essay Topic 2
Part II begins during a storm with the lighthouse's glow touching parts of the abandoned house.
1) How does Woolf use images of darkness, violent storms, and the shabbiness of the house to convey the tone of this part of the novel?
2) How does the condition of the house and the weather compare to the lives of the Ramsay family during Part II of the novel?
3) Justify the answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Mr. Tansley and Mr. Ramsay reveal their views toward women.
1) Summarize the attitudes these men display toward women. Cite examples from the story.
2) How do their attitudes toward women affect the way other characters in the novel react toward them?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)