|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Ramsay annoyed with Mr. Ramsay when he calls the island a "poor little place"?
2. What is the children's opinion of Mr. Tansley?
3. As Mrs. Ramsay sits at the head of the dinner table, what is she contemplating?
4. Where are James and his mother planning to take a trip?
5. What does Prue feel about her mother as she sees her standing on the stairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the conversation between Mr. Bankes and Lily Briscoe as they are strolling together.
2. What does Mrs. Ramsay find odd about her husband as they walk arm in arm?
3. Describe the condition of the summerhouse after its years of neglect.
4. Why does Mr. Ramsay interrupt James and his wife as they read a book?
5. What are Prue's feelings for her mother, as she sees Mrs. Ramsay at the top of the stairs?
6. Describe the way Lily feels while she is painting after Mr. Ramsay leaves for the Lighthouse.
7. What is Mr. Ramsay's reaction when Mr. Bankes and Lily Briscoe go through the opening in the hedge to find Ramsay loudly reciting poetry?
8. Why does Cam feel happy as she lifts her hand out of the sea?
9. Why does James consider taking a knife and stabbing his father through the heart?
10. What does Lily contemplate about the dead as she thinks about what she would have told Mrs. Ramsay about the Rayley's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze James coming of age throughout the novel.
2) What fears and emotions does he experience as he grows in the three parts of the novel?
3) How do his attitudes change as he develops from a young boy into a young man?
4) Cite examples of the character changes James goes through from each of the three parts of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the message Woolf is trying to convey about life in the novel?
2) Does she depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Ramsay family and friends?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 3
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Virginia Woolf's writing style, use of dialogue, stream of consciousness, imagery, and point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)