|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Ramsay think Mr. Ramsay is different from other people?
2. What does Mrs. Ramsay regret will happen when her children are grown?
3. What is William Bankes' assessment of Lily Briscoe?
4. Why does James hate his father?
5. Is Charles Tansley excited about the conversation the women are having
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Ramsay view life as a lighthouse keeper?
2. What are the two events that are finished in the final chapter of the book?
3. Explain the comparison Lily Biscoe makes between Mr. Ramsay and William Bankes.
4. What does Paul vow to do after Minta loses her grandmother's brooch?
5. What is the state of mind of the family and guests of Mrs. Ramsay as dinner comes to an end?
6. Summarize the description Mrs. Ramsay gives of her husband's self-esteem?
7. Why is Lily surprised by the tears streaming down her face as she reminisces while painting?
8. What message does the sea give to Lily Briscoe as she lies down to sleep after returning to the summerhouse?
9. Describe the way Lily feels while she is painting after Mr. Ramsay leaves for the Lighthouse.
10. Although Mrs. Ramsay describes the summerhouse they are renting as shabby, what does she like about being there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What is the message Woolf is trying to convey about life in the novel?
2) Does she depict a realistic and relevant view of human nature through the Ramsay family and friends?
3) Are the human qualities of each character true to life? Explain.
4) How do the characters convey the everyday struggles of life?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare Lily Briscoe's thoughts and ideas as she paints the picture of Mrs. Ramsay and James in Part I of the novel to her starting the painting once again in Part III.
2) How does she feel about the painting in each of the two parts of the novel?
3) How do her views toward her art change from when she starts the painting to when she finishes the painting?
Essay Topic 3
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Virginia Woolf's writing style, use of dialogue, stream of consciousness, imagery, and point of view of the characters.
2) How do these literary elements affect the story?
This section contains 1,965 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)