Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Ramsay quiet the children down, so they can sleep?
2. How does Mrs. Ramsay clean her mind from all the odds of the day after dinner is over?
3. What is it that Mr. Ramsay wants Mrs. Ramsay to say to him, but she is unable to?
4. Which of her children does Mrs. Ramsay want to stay young?
5. What makes Mr. Ramsay a happy man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are James' and Cam's emotions as they sail to the Lighthouse with their father?
2. How does Mrs. McNabb manage to get the house in order after she receives word that the Ramsay's are coming for the summer?
3. Mrs. Ramsay tucks James into bed and he asks about going to the Lighthouse. What is Mrs. Ramsay's response and what is she thinking as she answers James?
4. Why doesn't Mrs. Ramsay allow her daughters to mock the atheist, Mr. Tansley?
5. What does Mr. Ramsay want his wife to say to him when he finishes reading and she finishes her knitting? How does she react to what he wants?
6. Why is Lily surprised by the tears streaming down her face as she reminisces while painting?
7. How does Lily Briscoe interpret William Bankes' feelings for Mrs. Ramsay?
8. What are the two events that are finished in the final chapter of the book?
9. What does James remember while he sits in the stillness of the boat on the way to the Lighthouse?
10. Why does James consider taking a knife and stabbing his father through the heart?
1) What are Mr. Ramsay's views on the quality of men as seen in Part I of the novel?
2) How does he use the alphabet to determine the qualities of a man?
3) Why does he believe he has reached the letter Q?
4) In Mr. Ramsay's estimation, how often does a man reach Z, and what must he do to attain it?
1) Evaluate the relationship between Lily Briscoe and Mr. Bankes.
2) Are they a good match?
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of the friendship? Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are.
1) Mrs. Ramsay feels James will always remember the disappointment of not going to the lighthouse.
2) When does James remember that day?
3) Where is he when he remembers and what is is he doing?
4) What kind of an emotional impact does the memory have on him?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)