|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does William Bankes see Mrs. Ramsay as child-like?
2. Why does James hate his father?
3. What is Lily's opinion of Mr. Ramsay?
4. What is William Bankes' assessment of Lily Briscoe?
5. Why doesn't Nancy want to go on the walk with Paul and Minta?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Lily paints, she thinks of a time on the beach with Charles Tansley many years before. Mrs. Ramsay was sitting near them, writing letters, and watching. How does Lily believe Mrs. Ramsay affected the way she and Charles acted toward each other?
2. What does William Bankes think about as he looks at the far sand hills while walking with Lily Biscoe?
3. Describe why Mrs. Ramsay does not want her children to grow up.
4. What does Mr. Tansley do to predict the weather for the outing to the lighthouse?
5. What is Mr. Ramsay's reaction when Mr. Bankes and Lily Briscoe go through the opening in the hedge to find Ramsay loudly reciting poetry?
6. Summarize Andrew's description of Minta.
7. Cam resists her father's attempt at making her smile. What does she remember about her father as she tries to remain true to the pact she makes with James to resist Mr. Ramsay?
8. Mrs. Ramsay tucks James into bed and he asks about going to the Lighthouse. What is Mrs. Ramsay's response and what is she thinking as she answers James?
9. What does Mr. Ramsay want his wife to say to him when he finishes reading and she finishes her knitting? How does she react to what he wants?
10. Why doesn't Mrs. Ramsay allow her daughters to mock the atheist, Mr. Tansley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Discuss how Lily Briscoe grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward the Ramsay's?
3) How does her attitude about her lifestyle change?
4) What are the differences in her attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) What are Mr. Ramsay's views on the quality of men as seen in Part I of the novel?
2) How does he use the alphabet to determine the qualities of a man?
3) Why does he believe he has reached the letter Q?
4) In Mr. Ramsay's estimation, how often does a man reach Z, and what must he do to attain it?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Mr. Ramsay's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his children because of these changes?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)