|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the many places Mr. Bankes has traveled?
2. How does Mr. Bankes refer to the Ramsay children?
3. What does Lily feel the Ramsays are flooded with?
4. What is the children's opinion of Mr. Tansley?
5. Why does William Bankes see Mrs. Ramsay as child-like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lily Briscoe interpret William Bankes' feelings for Mrs. Ramsay?
2. Why does Mr. Ramsay think he cannot talk to his wife as she sits in the chair knitting after James goes to bed?
3. Cam resists her father's attempt at making her smile. What does she remember about her father as she tries to remain true to the pact she makes with James to resist Mr. Ramsay?
4. What does Mr. Ramsay want his wife to say to him when he finishes reading and she finishes her knitting? How does she react to what he wants?
5. As spring arrives, does it bring any joy to the summerhouse? Explain
6. Why is Mr. Ramsay enraged, pacing back and forth on the terrace?
7. As Mrs. Ramsay gives the maids instructions during dinner, what is Mr. Bankes thinking?
8. Why doesn't Mrs. Ramsay allow her daughters to mock the atheist, Mr. Tansley?
9. What does Mrs. Ramsay find odd about her husband as they walk arm in arm?
10. What is Mr. Carmichael's opinion of Lily when she refuses to give Mr. Ramsay the sympathy he is looking for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Virginia Woolf uses local color and imagery to describe the summerhouse.
2) Cite descriptive examples of rooms, décor, landscaping, the beach, and the view of the lighthouse.
3) Does the imagery Woolf uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the summerhouse and surrounding landscape.
Essay Topic 2
1) What are Mr. Ramsay's views on the quality of men as seen in Part I of the novel?
2) How does he use the alphabet to determine the qualities of a man?
3) Why does he believe he has reached the letter Q?
4) In Mr. Ramsay's estimation, how often does a man reach Z, and what must he do to attain it?
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Lily Briscoe grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward the Ramsay's?
3) How does her attitude about her lifestyle change?
4) What are the differences in her attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)