|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Ramsay think are getting engaged?
2. What kind of lives do Prue, Nancy, and Rose want to live?
3. Why is Lily thankful that Mr. Ramsay is reciting poetry?
4. Which of her children does Mrs. Ramsay want to stay young?
5. What is Lily's opinion about human relationships?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lily surprised by the tears streaming down her face as she reminisces while painting?
2. What does Paul vow to do after Minta loses her grandmother's brooch?
3. Why is Mr. Ramsay enraged, pacing back and forth on the terrace?
4. What does Mr. Ramsay ponder is his fate as he looks out at the bay beneath the edge of the lawn?
5. What does James remember while he sits in the stillness of the boat on the way to the Lighthouse?
6. How does Lily Briscoe justify being a single woman?
7. Describe the scene as Mr. Bankes, Prue, Andrew, and Lily turn off the lights before going to bed.
8. Why does Mr. Ramsay interrupt James and his wife as they read a book?
9. How does Mrs. Ramsay view life as a lighthouse keeper?
10. How does Mrs. McNabb manage to get the house in order after she receives word that the Ramsay's are coming for the summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay. Which character gives more to their relationship? Explain.
2) How do their views differ on life, marriage, and children?
3) Which character is more realistic in his or her view of life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Lily Briscoe and Mr. Bankes.
2) Are they a good match?
3) How do they interact with one another?
4) What are the qualities of the friendship? Cite examples from the story proving their acceptance of one another for who they are.
Essay Topic 3
1) Interpret the feelings Paul and Minta have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are at the beach.
2) Are their emotions authentic?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married. What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
5) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)