|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Ramsay feel about marriage engagements?
2. Who says that the weather will not be nice enough for the trip?
3. What is James' favorite hobby?
4. What is Mr. Ramsay's reaction as he sees his wife sitting in sadness?
5. Why does James hate his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mr. Carmichael's opinion of Lily when she refuses to give Mr. Ramsay the sympathy he is looking for?
2. Although Mrs. Ramsay describes the summerhouse they are renting as shabby, what does she like about being there?
3. How does Lily Briscoe envision Mrs. Ramsay after she screams out Mrs. Ramsay's name in grief?
4. Lily Briscoe sees Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay watching Prue and Jasper playing with a ball. What does she think the Ramsays symbolize?
5. Describe the way Lily feels while she is painting after Mr. Ramsay leaves for the Lighthouse.
6. What are James' thoughts about his father when Mr. Ramsay predicts that the weather will not be good enough for the trip to the lighthouse?
7. Describe the condition of the summerhouse after its years of neglect.
8. Why does Mr. Ramsay think he cannot talk to his wife as she sits in the chair knitting after James goes to bed?
9. What is the state of mind of the family and guests of Mrs. Ramsay as dinner comes to an end?
10. As Lily paints, she thinks of a time on the beach with Charles Tansley many years before. Mrs. Ramsay was sitting near them, writing letters, and watching. How does Lily believe Mrs. Ramsay affected the way she and Charles acted toward each other?
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between James and his mother, Mrs. Ramsay.
2) How does Mr. Ramsay affect James' and his mother's relationship?
3) What does Mrs. Ramsay wish for James' future?
4) How does James feel about his mother at the end of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
Essay Topic 2
1) What are Mr. Ramsay's views on the quality of men as seen in Part I of the novel?
2) How does he use the alphabet to determine the qualities of a man?
3) Why does he believe he has reached the letter Q?
4) In Mr. Ramsay's estimation, how often does a man reach Z, and what must he do to attain it?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Virginia Woolf uses local color and imagery to describe the summerhouse.
2) Cite descriptive examples of rooms, décor, landscaping, the beach, and the view of the lighthouse.
3) Does the imagery Woolf uses depict a clear and accurate picture of the summerhouse and surrounding landscape.
This section contains 1,905 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)