|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Ramsay become annoyed with Mrs. Ramsay, thinking he will go off alone?
2. What does Mrs. Ramsay do when she sees her husband looking at her?
3. Why is Mrs. Ramsay so annoyed with Mr. Tansley, thinking him hateful?
4. Why does Mr. Ramsay become angry with Augustus during dinner?
5. What does Mrs. Ramsay think she could have managed better in her 50 years?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. McNabb manage to get the house in order after she receives word that the Ramsay's are coming for the summer?
2. Summarize Andrew's description of Minta.
3. Describe the way Lily feels while she is painting after Mr. Ramsay leaves for the Lighthouse.
4. What is the state of mind of the family and guests of Mrs. Ramsay as dinner comes to an end?
5. What does Lily contemplate about the dead as she thinks about what she would have told Mrs. Ramsay about the Rayley's relationship?
6. What are James' thoughts of his mother as he waits at the tiller for the breeze to fill the sails?
7. What is James' reaction when his father praises his sailing abilities?
8. Lily Briscoe sees Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay watching Prue and Jasper playing with a ball. What does she think the Ramsays symbolize?
9. What are James' and Cam's emotions as they sail to the Lighthouse with their father?
10. What is Mr. Carmichael's opinion of Lily when she refuses to give Mr. Ramsay the sympathy he is looking for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Mr. Tansley and Mr. Ramsay reveal their views toward women.
1) Summarize the attitudes these men display toward women. Cite examples from the story.
2) How do their attitudes toward women affect the way other characters in the novel react toward them?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare Lily Briscoe's thoughts and ideas as she paints the picture of Mrs. Ramsay and James in Part I of the novel to her starting the painting once again in Part III.
2) How does she feel about the painting in each of the two parts of the novel?
3) How do her views toward her art change from when she starts the painting to when she finishes the painting?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between James and his mother, Mrs. Ramsay.
2) How does Mr. Ramsay affect James' and his mother's relationship?
3) What does Mrs. Ramsay wish for James' future?
4) How does James feel about his mother at the end of the novel?
5) Give examples from the story of how they interact with one another.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)