|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Ramsay doing on the terrace as Mrs. Ramsay sits inside looking at catalogues?
2. What is William Bankes' assessment of Lily Briscoe?
3. Is Charles Tansley excited about the conversation the women are having
4. How is Mr. Bankes enjoying the dinner party?
5. What does Mr. Bankes think Mr. Tansley feels about the people around the table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lily contemplate about the dead as she thinks about what she would have told Mrs. Ramsay about the Rayley's relationship?
2. How does Mrs. McNabb manage to get the house in order after she receives word that the Ramsay's are coming for the summer?
3. What does William Bankes think about as he looks at the far sand hills while walking with Lily Biscoe?
4. Why is Mr. Ramsay enraged, pacing back and forth on the terrace?
5. Describe the outcome of the marriage between Minta and Paul as Lily depicts it.
6. What does Mrs. Ramsay find odd about her husband as they walk arm in arm?
7. What does Lily Briscoe decide to do as she stares at the tablecloth with its leaf pattern she recognizes from years ago?
8. What does Mr. Ramsay want his wife to say to him when he finishes reading and she finishes her knitting? How does she react to what he wants?
9. Summarize the description Mrs. Ramsay gives of her husband's self-esteem?
10. How does Mr. Tansley react when Lily Briscoe asks him to take her to the Lighthouse the next day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the elements of cause and effect in this story using examples from the novel.
2) Choose three events from the story which cause Mr. Ramsay's life to undergo a change.
3) How does he react to the events and their effects?
4) How does he grow emotionally in his own life and in his attitude toward his children because of these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Mr. Tansley and Mr. Ramsay reveal their views toward women.
1) Summarize the attitudes these men display toward women. Cite examples from the story.
2) How do their attitudes toward women affect the way other characters in the novel react toward them?
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Lily Briscoe grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward the Ramsay's?
3) How does her attitude about her lifestyle change?
4) What are the differences in her attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)