|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Ramsay regret will happen when her children are grown?
2. What does Mr. Ramsay compare men's minds to?
3. Why is Mrs. Ramsay annoyed with Mr. Ramsay when he calls the island a "poor little place"?
4. How does Mrs. Ramsay quiet the children down, so they can sleep?
5. Who says that the weather will not be nice enough for the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are James' thoughts about his father when Mr. Ramsay predicts that the weather will not be good enough for the trip to the lighthouse?
2. Lily wants to wake up Mr. Carmichael and talk to him about all the questions she has of life, death, and even Mrs. Ramsay. Why does she decide against waking him?
3. How does Lily describe the Ramsay's married life?
4. How does Lily Briscoe justify being a single woman?
5. Summarize Andrew's description of Minta.
6. Describe the condition of the summerhouse after its years of neglect.
7. Describe the outcome of the marriage between Minta and Paul as Lily depicts it.
8. Describe the way Lily feels while she is painting after Mr. Ramsay leaves for the Lighthouse.
9. Mrs. Ramsay tucks James into bed and he asks about going to the Lighthouse. What is Mrs. Ramsay's response and what is she thinking as she answers James?
10. Summarize what Mrs. Ramsay is feeling as she sits at the head of the table, ladling soup to her family and friends.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the resolution of the story as it relates to each of the characters in the novel.
2) Explain the metamorphosis each of them experiences in the final chapter.
3) Describe how Lily's words," It is finished", relate to James, Cam, Mr. Ramsay, Lily, and Mr. Carmichael.
Essay Topic 2
1) What are Mr. Ramsay's views on the quality of men as seen in Part I of the novel?
2) How does he use the alphabet to determine the qualities of a man?
3) Why does he believe he has reached the letter Q?
4) In Mr. Ramsay's estimation, how often does a man reach Z, and what must he do to attain it?
Essay Topic 3
1) Interpret the feelings Paul and Minta have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are at the beach.
2) Are their emotions authentic?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married. What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
5) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)