|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Ramsay doing on the terrace as Mrs. Ramsay sits inside looking at catalogues?
2. What is it that Mr. Ramsay wants Mrs. Ramsay to say to him, but she is unable to?
3. Where does Mrs. Ramsay wish she could go with Paul and Minta?
4. How does Mrs. Ramsay feel after giving Mr. Ramsay the sympathy he needs?
5. How does Mr. Bankes feel about Mrs. Ramsay as the talk at the dinner table?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Mrs. Ramsay describes the summerhouse they are renting as shabby, what does she like about being there?
2. Lily Briscoe sees Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay watching Prue and Jasper playing with a ball. What does she think the Ramsays symbolize?
3. What are the two events that are finished in the final chapter of the book?
4. Describe the outcome of the marriage between Minta and Paul as Lily depicts it.
5. As spring arrives, does it bring any joy to the summerhouse? Explain
6. What does Mr. Ramsay want his wife to say to him when he finishes reading and she finishes her knitting? How does she react to what he wants?
7. What does Lily contemplate about the dead as she thinks about what she would have told Mrs. Ramsay about the Rayley's relationship?
8. How does Mrs. McNabb manage to get the house in order after she receives word that the Ramsay's are coming for the summer?
9. Why does Lily Briscoe become annoyed with Cam and James when they are finally ready to go to the Lighthouse?
10. Summarize the description Mrs. Ramsay gives of her husband's self-esteem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare Lily Briscoe's thoughts and ideas as she paints the picture of Mrs. Ramsay and James in Part I of the novel to her starting the painting once again in Part III.
2) How does she feel about the painting in each of the two parts of the novel?
3) How do her views toward her art change from when she starts the painting to when she finishes the painting?
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Paul and Minta have for each other in the first part of the novel when they are at the beach.
2) Are their emotions authentic?
3) Are they truthful with each other?
4) Compare these emotions with how they interact later in the novel, after they are married. What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
5) How does their relationship differ from the first part of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss how Lily Briscoe grows as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end.
2) How do her attitudes change toward the Ramsay's?
3) How does her attitude about her lifestyle change?
4) What are the differences in her attitude toward the meaning of life differ from the beginning to the end of the novel?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)