|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Ramsay doing on the terrace as Mrs. Ramsay sits inside looking at catalogues?
(a) He is marching up and down reciting poetry.
(b) He is repairing loose stones on the terrace.
(c) He is reading his book.
(d) He is planting flowers for Mrs. Ramsay.
2. How does Mrs. Ramsay quiet the children down, so they can sleep?
(a) She reads them a fairy tale.
(b) She threatens them.
(c) She sings them a lullaby.
(d) She hangs her shawl over the skull.
3. Why is Minta terrified that they will not find the brooch?
(a) There are too many stones to look through
(b) The sand is blowing everywhere
(c) They can't remember everywhere they have been
(d) The tide is coming in
4. What is Andrew's opinion of Minta?
(a) He thinks she is boastful.
(b) He thinks she is more sensible than most girls.
(c) He thinks she is a liar.
(d) He thinks she is too prim and proper.
5. What does Lily contemplate as the dinner winds down, and people leave the table?
(a) She is happy that dinner is finally over.
(b) She hopes she can be like Mrs. Ramsay some day.
(c) She thinks what a boring dinner party is was.
(d) Everyone who attended the dinner party is forever bonded together, no matter how much time goes by.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Ramsay angry with his wife, cursing her?
2. Who does Mrs. Ramsay think are getting engaged?
3. How does Lily react to the rapture that Mr. Bankes feels toward Mrs. Ramsay?
4. Who says that the weather will not be nice enough for the trip?
5. Why does Mr. Ramsay become annoyed with Mrs. Ramsay, thinking he will go off alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lily contemplate about the dead as she thinks about what she would have told Mrs. Ramsay about the Rayley's relationship?
2. Describe the outcome of the marriage between Minta and Paul as Lily depicts it.
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Ramsay allow her daughters to mock the atheist, Mr. Tansley?
4. Summarize the conversation between Mr. Bankes and Lily Briscoe as they are strolling together.
5. What does William Bankes think about as he looks at the far sand hills while walking with Lily Biscoe?
6. Why does Lily Briscoe become annoyed with Cam and James when they are finally ready to go to the Lighthouse?
7. As Mrs. Ramsay gives the maids instructions during dinner, what is Mr. Bankes thinking?
8. What is Mr. Ramsay's reaction when Mr. Bankes and Lily Briscoe go through the opening in the hedge to find Ramsay loudly reciting poetry?
9. What does Mr. Ramsay say to try and please his wife while they are walking on the grounds of the summerhouse?
10. What does Paul vow to do after Minta loses her grandmother's brooch?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)