|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lily see in Mr. Bankes' face as he watches Mrs. Ramsay?
2. As Mrs. Ramsay sits at the head of the dinner table, what is she contemplating?
(a) She thinks about leaving her husband.
(b) She wonders why dinner is late.
(c) She wonders what she has accomplished, feeling her life is over.
(d) She wonders what will become of her children.
3. How does Mrs. Ramsay feel young men regard her?
(a) As an old, stupid woman
(b) As if she were invisible
(c) As a senile lump
(d) With reverence and trust
4. What is it that Mr. Ramsay wants Mrs. Ramsay to say to him, but she is unable to?
(a) You are a good husband.
(b) I adore you.
(c) I love you.
(d) You are brilliant.
5. What returns to Mr. Bankes as he begins to eat dinner?
(a) His annoyance with everyone at the table
(b) His longing to be at home
(c) His love and reverence for Mrs. Ramsay.
(d) His disgust with Mr. Tansley
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mr. Bankes enjoying the dinner party?
2. Why is Mrs. Ramsay concerned when the sound of the children playing and the men talking suddenly stops?
3. How does Nancy feel when she sees Paul and Minta kissing?
4. What does Mr. Ramsay think about the intelligence of human beings?
5. What does Lily feel the Ramsays are flooded with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two events that are finished in the final chapter of the book?
2. Lily wants to wake up Mr. Carmichael and talk to him about all the questions she has of life, death, and even Mrs. Ramsay. Why does she decide against waking him?
3. Describe the outcome of the marriage between Minta and Paul as Lily depicts it.
4. As Mrs. Ramsay gives the maids instructions during dinner, what is Mr. Bankes thinking?
5. Why does Mr. Ramsay think he cannot talk to his wife as she sits in the chair knitting after James goes to bed?
6. What is the description Mrs. Ramsay gives of Lily Briscoe?
7. What does James remember while he sits in the stillness of the boat on the way to the Lighthouse?
8. Why is Mr. Ramsay enraged, pacing back and forth on the terrace?
9. Why is Mrs. Ramsay so agitated about Nancy, Andrew, Minta, and Paul being late for supper?
10. What are Prue's feelings for her mother, as she sees Mrs. Ramsay at the top of the stairs?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)