|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mr. Ramsay angry with his wife, cursing her?
(a) She laughed at his poetry recitation.
(b) She burned dinner.
(c) She dropped his book in the water at the beach.
(d) For giving James false hope about going on the trip to the Lighthouse
2. How does Mrs. Ramsay clean her mind from all the odds of the day after dinner is over?
(a) She watches Lily paint
(b) She reads
(c) She sings to the children
(d) She works in her garden
3. Why does Mr. Ramsay become annoyed with Mrs. Ramsay, thinking he will go off alone?
(a) She won't share her thoughts with him
(b) She doesn't want Andrew to go to college.
(c) All she talks about are flowers.
(d) She keeps talking about going to the Lighthouse.
4. Why is Lily thankful that Mr. Ramsay is reciting poetry?
(a) She is trying to learn poetry herself.
(b) She thinks it makes him look distinguished.
(c) She enjoys the sound of it.
(d) He will not bother to look at her painting.
5. What does Mr. Bankes think Mr. Tansley feels about the people around the table?
(a) That they are all having a wonderful time
(b) That they are all his true friends
(c) That they have wasted their lives, and are behind the times
(d) That the conversations are engrossing
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Ramsay bringing to the Lighthouse for the keeper's ailing son?
2. What returns to Mr. Bankes as he begins to eat dinner?
3. What is Mrs. Ramsay sorry for after she tells James they cannot go to the Lighthouse?
4. What is Lily's view of Mr. Bankes?
5. Where does Mrs. Ramsay wish she could go with Paul and Minta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Ramsay think he cannot talk to his wife as she sits in the chair knitting after James goes to bed?
2. What is James' reaction when his father praises his sailing abilities?
3. Mrs. Ramsay tucks James into bed and he asks about going to the Lighthouse. What is Mrs. Ramsay's response and what is she thinking as she answers James?
4. What does Mrs. Ramsay compare herself to when she begins dinner without asking Nancy, Andrew, Minta, and Paul why they are late?
5. What are the two events that are finished in the final chapter of the book?
6. Why does James consider taking a knife and stabbing his father through the heart?
7. As Mrs. Ramsay gives the maids instructions during dinner, what is Mr. Bankes thinking?
8. Why is Lily surprised by the tears streaming down her face as she reminisces while painting?
9. Cam resists her father's attempt at making her smile. What does she remember about her father as she tries to remain true to the pact she makes with James to resist Mr. Ramsay?
10. Explain the comparison Lily Biscoe makes between Mr. Ramsay and William Bankes.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)