|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening to the summerhouse while the Ramsay's are away?
(a) Another family is living in it.
(b) It is becoming shabbier with each passing day.
(c) It is being painted by neighbors
(d) It is being renovated.
2. Why is Lily disappointed when the Ramsay's leave on the boat?
(a) Because she wants Cam to pose for a painting
(b) Because she wishes she were with them
(c) Because she didn't give sympathy to Mr. Ramsay
(d) Because she is lonely
3. Who writes a volume of poetry that becomes very successful?
(a) Mr. Carmichael
(b) Lily Briscoe
(c) Mr. Tansley
(d) Mr. Ramsay
4. What does Mr. Ramsay do while they are sailing to the Lighthouse?
(a) He hangs his hand in the water.
(b) He reads a book.
(c) He steers the boat.
(d) He argues with James.
5. What does Mrs. Ramsay do on the beach while Lily paints and Charles skips stones?
(a) She yells at Charles to keep away from the water.
(b) She puts her feet in the water.
(c) She sits in silence, resting.
(d) She reads a book Mr. Ramsay gave her.
6. How does Prue's pregnancy progress?
(a) Prue is healthy and happy for the nine months.
(b) Prue stays in bed but delivery goes well.
(c) Prue has morning sickness for nine months.
(d) Prue dies from complications.
7. How does Lily describe Mr. Ramsay as she looks out at the bay?
(a) Looking younger than he is
(b) As a very old man
(c) Aging gracefully
(d) As a distinguished philosopher
8. Why does Mr. Ramsay get angry and bang out of the room?
(a) Lily is being annoying.
(b) James and Cam are arguing.
(c) The weather is looking ominous
(d) James and Cam are not ready for the trip, and Nancy forgot the sandwiches.
9. What is Lily feeling as she sits drinking coffee on her first morning back at the Ramsay's?
10. What is it that could happen to the house between night and dawn?
(a) A storm could arise and blow off the shutters.
(b) A feather could fall and collapse the house.
(c) Thieves could empty the house.
(d) Animals could invade the house.
11. Where does the only light come from in the darkness of the house?
(a) A distant fire
(b) A neighbor's lantern
(c) The moon
(d) The Lighthouse
12. How is Cam attracted to her father?
(a) She thinks he is funny.
(b) She thinks he has beautiful hands, feet, voice, and words.
(c) She thinks he is brilliant.
(d) She thinks he is a hero.
13. How does Lily see the blank canvas before her?
(a) She sees it as a blank slate to paint her emotions.
(b) She sees the canvas as if it were rebuking her with a cold stare.
(c) She sees it as an impossible task.
(d) She sees it as a friend.
14. Who is the only person that goes to the Ramsay's house?
(a) William Bankes
(b) Lily Briscoe
(c) Augustus Carmichael
(d) Mrs. McNab
15. What is the brown spot Lily sees out in the bay?
(b) A dead, bloated whale
(c) Old lobster pots
(d) Mr. Ramsay's boat
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps Mr. Ramsay get his mind off his sorrow?
2. What is the strange idea Lily has about Mr. Carmichael?
3. What does Lily think will happen if she shouts loud enough?
4. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay get into so many arguments?
5. How does Mr. Ramsay look at Lily?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)