|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Macalister tell Mr. Ramsay about James' sailing abilities?
(a) He says that James is doing a good job steering the boat.
(b) He says that James is afraid to steer the boat.
(c) He says that James needs a lot more practice before he can steer the boat.
(d) He says that he doesn't think James will ever become adept at steering the boat
2. Where does the only light come from in the darkness of the house?
(a) A neighbor's lantern
(b) A distant fire
(c) The moon
(d) The Lighthouse
3. What is Lily's description of middle aged people?
(a) They are living through their children.
(b) They are living life to the fullest, now that youth is gone.
(c) They are bold, and self-reliant, full of self-esteem.
(d) They are cautious, furtive, and apprehensive with wrinkles between their eyes
4. Who is the only person that goes to the Ramsay's house?
(a) Lily Briscoe
(b) William Bankes
(c) Augustus Carmichael
(d) Mrs. McNab
5. What are Minta's feelings about Paul's affair with another woman?
(a) She is irate, throwing Paul out of the house.
(b) She is devastated by the affair.
(c) She welcomes it because it mended their marriage, so they could be friends.
(d) She vows never to speak to Paul again.
6. What is the vow that James and Cam make to each other?
(a) To give sympathy to their father
(b) To fight tyranny
(c) To make it an enjoyable trip
(d) To be kind to their father
7. How does Lily feel while she is painting?
(a) A part of this world
(b) Hiding in reality
(c) Tied to reality
(d) Drawn out of this world
8. Why is Lily disappointed when the Ramsay's leave on the boat?
(a) Because she didn't give sympathy to Mr. Ramsay
(b) Because she wishes she were with them
(c) Because she wants Cam to pose for a painting
(d) Because she is lonely
9. What do the Ramsay's want Mrs. McNab to do?
(a) Not to take care of the house anymore
(b) Get the summerhouse ready for their arrival.
(c) Get the summerhouse ready for the new owners.
(d) Get the summerhouse ready to be put up for sale.
10. Who does Lily see sitting in the chair, knitting a stocking?
(b) Mrs. Ramsay
(d) Mrs. McNab
11. Why does William Bankes detest the hole in Minta's stocking?
(a) He feels Minta doesn't have the common sense to mend her stocking.
(b) He remembers the time he was too poor to buy new socks.
(c) He believes it is a symbol of disorder, the loss of womanhood, and all the things he abhors.
(d) He finds feet offensive.
12. Who does Mrs. McNab get to help her clean up the Ramsay's house?
(a) Mrs. Bast and her son, George
(b) Mr. Carmichael
(c) William Bankes
(d) Lily Briscoe
13. What does Mrs. Ramsay do on the beach while Lily paints and Charles skips stones?
(a) She puts her feet in the water.
(b) She reads a book Mr. Ramsay gave her.
(c) She yells at Charles to keep away from the water.
(d) She sits in silence, resting.
14. Why can't Lily paint after she sets up her easel?
(a) She has to make sandwiches for the trip.
(b) James and Cam keep interrupting.
(c) Mr. Ramsay is standing with her.
(d) Mr. Bankes is coming up the lawn.
15. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Ramsay get into so many arguments?
(a) Mrs. Ramsay is always insulting Mr. Ramsay.
(b) They argue over the children.
(c) Mr. Ramsay is negative, contradicting Mrs. Ramsay all the time.
(d) Mrs. Ramsay is impulsive and Mr. Ramsay is moody.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily discover about the meaning of life?
2. Who are the first guests to arrive at the Ramsay's house?
3. What does Lily think will happen if she shouts loud enough?
4. What does the Macalister boy use for fishing bait while they are on the boat?
5. What does Lily want to do as the children come out of the house to go sailing to the Lighthouse?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)