|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Ramsay tell James about his ability to steer the boat?
(a) He praises James, telling him he did a good job.
(b) He refuses to speak to James.
(c) He embarrasses James with his negative comments.
(d) He ridicules James' sailing abilities.
2. What messages breathed from sea to shore at the ramsay's house?
(a) Messages of peace
(b) Messages of foreboding
(c) Messages of excitement
(d) Messages of sorrow
3. What is the condition of the house in the heat of the summer?
(a) The summer sun is shining on the porch.
(b) The sun adds warmth to the cheery rooms.
(c) The heat is warping the roof.
(d) Flies weave webs in the sunny rooms, weeds grow near the glass
4. What finally gives James relief from his negative thoughts about his father?
(a) He thinks about his mother.
(b) Cam smiles at him.
(c) He imagines himself back at the summerhouse.
(d) The wind picks up, allowing them to set sail again.
5. What does Mr. Macalister tell Mr. Ramsay about James' sailing abilities?
(a) He says that James is doing a good job steering the boat.
(b) He says that James needs a lot more practice before he can steer the boat.
(c) He says that he doesn't think James will ever become adept at steering the boat
(d) He says that James is afraid to steer the boat.
6. What is the message in the letter that Mrs. McNab receives from the Ramsay children?
(a) They are renovating the house.
(b) They are selling the house.
(c) They are all coming back to the house for the summer.
(d) They are sending buyers to the house.
7. What does James remember as they all sit in the hot sun on the boat?
(a) He remembers his father telling him that it would rain and he wouldn't be able to go to the lighthouse.
(b) He remembers cutting pictures out of a catalogue.
(c) He remembers the arguments his parents used to have.
(d) He remembers his father taking his mother away from him.
8. How does Lily feel as she sits alone in the Ramsay's house?
(a) She feels like a member of the family.
(b) She feels like a daughter to Mr. Ramsay.
(c) She feels cut off from people, with no attachments there.
(d) She feels like a sister to Nancy.
9. How does Mr. Ramsay look at Lily?
(a) With contempt
(b) With longing
(c) As if seeing her for the first time
(d) With disgust
10. What does Lily think offended people about Mrs. Ramsay?
(a) Her beauty and her giving in to her husbands whims
(b) Her constant refusal to help her husband
(c) Her callousness and selfishness
(d) Her superior demeanor
11. What does James imagine himself doing to his father as they sit in the boat waiting for the breeze to pick up?
(a) Throwing him overboard
(b) Knocking his book into the water
(c) Running over and hugging him
(d) Stabbing his father in the heart
12. What is Lily feeling as she sits drinking coffee on her first morning back at the Ramsay's?
13. What does Mr. Ramsay do while they are sailing to the Lighthouse?
(a) He argues with James.
(b) He reads a book.
(c) He hangs his hand in the water.
(d) He steers the boat.
14. What does Mrs. McNab imagine as she takes a break from cleaning to have some tea?
(a) She imagines Mr. Ramsay talking to himself on the lawn.
(b) She imagines herself the owner of the house.
(c) She imagines Mrs. Ramsay in the garden.
(d) She imagines the children playing cricket.
15. How does Cam feel about her father during the boat trip?
(a) She is indifferent to him.
(b) She is suddenly proud of him, thinking he is brave and daring.
(c) She is angry with him.
(d) She is afraid of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adventure does Cam invent to escape Mr. Ramsay's and James' attitudes?
2. Why does Mr. Ramsay get angry and bang out of the room?
3. What does Mrs. Ramsay do on the beach while Lily paints and Charles skips stones?
4. What is the fate of the Ramsay's son, Andrew?
5. What is it in human beings that nature looks upon complacently?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)