|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Ramsay do while they are sailing to the Lighthouse?
(a) He reads a book.
(b) He hangs his hand in the water.
(c) He argues with James.
(d) He steers the boat.
2. Why does Mr. Ramsay get angry and bang out of the room?
(a) James and Cam are not ready for the trip, and Nancy forgot the sandwiches.
(b) Lily is being annoying.
(c) The weather is looking ominous
(d) James and Cam are arguing.
3. What is the strange idea Lily has about Mr. Carmichael?
(a) She thinks he is just a raggedy old man with no original thoughts.
(b) She thinks he communicates with the dead.
(c) She thinks he communicates with animals.
(d) She thinks he can read her thoughts, knowing the things she couldn't say.
4. What are Minta's feelings about Paul's affair with another woman?
(a) She is devastated by the affair.
(b) She vows never to speak to Paul again.
(c) She is irate, throwing Paul out of the house.
(d) She welcomes it because it mended their marriage, so they could be friends.
5. What is it that could happen to the house between night and dawn?
(a) Animals could invade the house.
(b) A feather could fall and collapse the house.
(c) Thieves could empty the house.
(d) A storm could arise and blow off the shutters.
6. James looks at his father, seeing him as tired and old. What does he compare his father to?
(a) A dead, leafless oak tree
(b) The empty shell of an ancient tortoise
(c) An old stone lying on the sand
(d) An old dog lying in the sun
7. Why does James think he is powerless to move as he sits at the tiller of the boat?
(a) He is afraid of falling overboard.
(b) He doesn't want to get his father's attention.
(c) He's afraid of rocking the boat.
(d) He imagines his father tied him there with a rope.
8. What is it in human beings that nature looks upon complacently?
(a) Human family life
(b) Human's striving for success
(c) Human relationships
(d) Human misery, meanness, and his torture
9. What does Lily think offended people about Mrs. Ramsay?
(a) Her superior demeanor
(b) Her callousness and selfishness
(c) Her constant refusal to help her husband
(d) Her beauty and her giving in to her husbands whims
10. What does Mr. Ramsay expect from Lily when he sighs, full of grief?
(b) A smile
(c) A walk along the beach
11. Which one of Mr. Ramsay's daughters does he escort down the aisle to be married?
12. Why does Mrs. McNab pick a bunch of flowers from the Ramsay's garden?
(a) She wants to give them to her daughter
(b) She wants to cheer up her own house.
(c) She thinks the house is going to be sold and the family will never return.
(d) She figures the Ramsay's will never know
13. What is Lily's opinion of the dead?
(a) She feels the dead are better off than the living.
(b) She thinks the dead can grant her wishes.
(c) She pities the dead because they can be ignored, and are at the living's mercy.
(d) She fears the dead in the middle of the night.
14. What does Lily think will happen if she shouts loud enough?
(a) She will get Mr. Carmichael's attention.
(b) Her frustration over her painting will fade.
(c) Mr. Ramsay will hear her from the boat.
(d) She thinks Mrs. Ramsay will return.
15. What becomes of Mrs. Ramsay?
(a) She abandons her children
(b) She leaves Mr. Ramsay
(c) She becomes a famous writer
(d) She dies suddenly
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lily see Mr. Ramsay's face?
2. What does Lily want to do as the children come out of the house to go sailing to the Lighthouse?
3. How does James feel about the trip to the Lighthouse?
4. As Lily paints, what does she think about Mr. Tansley?
5. What is the fate of the Ramsay's son, Andrew?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)