|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Tom Robinson say he worked at the time of the crime in Chapter 19?
2. What bug is Scout about to kill in the beginning of Chapter 25 when Jem tells her to take it outside?
3. Of whom does Jem say in Chapter 16, "Lives by himself way down near the county line. He’s got a colored woman and all sorts of mixed chillun"?
4. Who does Mr. Dolphus Raymond offer a drink to in the beginning of Chapter 20?
5. What reason does Tom Robinson give for why he helped out Mayella Ewell periodically in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Atticus Finch's outlook following the trial of Tom Robinson in Chapter 23?
2. What is ironic about Bob Ewell's testimony in Tom Robinson's trial in Chapter 16?
3. What incidents in town have occurred involving Bob Ewell in Chapter 27. What do these events signify?
4. Who is called to see to Jem in Chapter 28? How has Jem been injured? Who hurt Jem?
5. When the sheriff arrives in Chapter 29, he tells Scout that he believes she was saved by what?
6. What hypocrisy does Scout point out to her teacher regarding Tom Robinson in Chapter 26?
7. Who is the first witness called to the stand by the prosecutor in Chapter 17? What statement does this character make?
8. How does Miss Maudie attempt to placate Jem, Scout, and Dill after the trial has ended in Chapter 22?
9. How is Mayella Ewell described when she takes the stand in Chapter 18? What does she assert took place on the night in question?
10. What social activity does Aunt Alexandra arrange in Chapter 24? What are Scout's perceptions of this event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the character of Boo Radley in the novel. What is Boo Radley’s history? How has Boo come to be “legendary” to Jem, Scout, and Dill? In what ways does Boo Radley differ from the rest of Maycomb society?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the courtroom and the attendees for the trial in Chapter 16. Where do Scout, Jem, and Dill find a place to observe the proceedings? How and why is the courtroom segregated as it is?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of racial prejudice in To Kill a Mockingbird. What has Tom Robinson been charged with? How would you describe the perceptions of the townspeople of Tom Robinson’s guilt?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)