|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dill say the children were playing in front of Tom Robinson's residence when Atticus arrived in Chapter 25?
2. Who does Scout refer to as the "Welfare lady" in Chapter 27?
3. What word from Chapter 25 refers to generous actions or donations to aid the poor, ill, or helpless?
4. What kind of government does Miss Gates say Germany operates under in Chapter 26?
5. How many witnesses does Atticus say he has for the court in the end of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the sheriff arrives in Chapter 29, he tells Scout that he believes she was saved by what?
2. What do Jem, Scout, and Dill discover about Mr. Dolphus Raymond in Chapter 20?
3. What does Atticus Finch attempt to convey to the jury during his closing statements in Chapter 20?
4. What leads to the discovery of Atticus that Scout, Jem, and Dill have been attending the trial in Chapter 21?
5. Who is called to see to Jem in Chapter 28? How has Jem been injured? Who hurt Jem?
6. How does Miss Maudie attempt to placate Jem, Scout, and Dill after the trial has ended in Chapter 22?
7. Who is the first witness called to the stand by the prosecutor in Chapter 17? What statement does this character make?
8. How does Scout describe the jury when they return with their verdict in Chapter 21? What is the verdict?
9. How does Jem respond to the verdict in the Robinson trial in Chapter 22? How have his perceptions changed of the people of Maycomb as a result of the trial?
10. What occurs as Scout and Jem are returning home in Chapter 28? How do the children react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Mayella Ewell in To Kill a Mockingbird. How old is Mayella? What kind of home life does Mayella live in? How reliable of a witness would you say Mayella is?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of classism in To Kill a Mockingbird. How much do the citizens of Maycomb County differ in terms of their personal finances? How much is wealth considered to be important within this community?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dill Harris in To Kill a Mockingbird. How has Dill come to befriend Scout and Jem? Where does Dill live? How does Dill differ as a character from Scout and Jem?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)