|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of government does Miss Gates say Germany operates under in Chapter 26?
2. Jem and Dill had been heading home from where when they'd encountered Atticus going to the Robinson home, according to Scout in Chapter 25?
3. Who is the doctor that has been called to see to Jem in Chapter 30?
4. Where have Jem and Dill gone in the beginning of Chapter 24?
5. What bug is Scout about to kill in the beginning of Chapter 25 when Jem tells her to take it outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helen Robinson respond to the news of Tom Robinson's death in Chapter 25? How do the townspeople respond?
2. What does Atticus tell Jem in order to help him understand the trial and the verdict in Chapter 23?
3. How is Mayella Ewell described when she takes the stand in Chapter 18? What does she assert took place on the night in question?
4. How does Jem respond to the verdict in the Robinson trial in Chapter 22? How have his perceptions changed of the people of Maycomb as a result of the trial?
5. What does Atticus Finch attempt to convey to the jury during his closing statements in Chapter 20?
6. What do Jem, Scout, and Dill discover about Mr. Dolphus Raymond in Chapter 20?
7. How would you describe Tom Robinson's guilt in the crime he is charged with in the trial? Do you think Tom is guilty?
8. What leads to the discovery of Atticus that Scout, Jem, and Dill have been attending the trial in Chapter 21?
9. Who has saved Scout and Jem from their attacker in the end of the novel? What does Scout make of this character?
10. Who relates the news of Tom Robinson's death in Chapter 24? How was Tom Robinson killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Nathan Radley in the novel. Why does Nathan Radley fill the knothole of the oak tree with cement? What does this action symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the courtroom and the attendees for the trial in Chapter 16. Where do Scout, Jem, and Dill find a place to observe the proceedings? How and why is the courtroom segregated as it is?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird. What kinds of behavior and values does Atticus instill in his children? Would you say Atticus’s relationships with Jem and Scout are close?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)