|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tom Robinson injure his left arm, according to Reverend Sykes in Chapter 18?
2. Scout says in Chapter 27 that Bob Ewell is the "only man I ever heard of who was fired from the WPA for" what?
3. Scout describes the lament of the bluejay in Chapter 28 as a repetitive sounding of what phrase?
4. What is Mayella Ewell's middle name?
5. What does Dill say the children were playing in front of Tom Robinson's residence when Atticus arrived in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jem respond to the verdict in the Robinson trial in Chapter 22? How have his perceptions changed of the people of Maycomb as a result of the trial?
2. How is the courthouse described in Chapter 16? Where do the white and black attendees of the trial sit? Where do Scout, Jem, and Dill sit in the courtroom?
3. Who is Mr. Link Deas? Why is Mr. Deas's testimony disregarded in Chapter 19?
4. What does Atticus tell Jem in order to help him understand the trial and the verdict in Chapter 23?
5. Who is the first witness called to the stand by the prosecutor in Chapter 17? What statement does this character make?
6. How would you describe the mood and tone of Chapter 26. How has the mood of the novel changed after the trial?
7. How does Miss Maudie attempt to placate Jem, Scout, and Dill after the trial has ended in Chapter 22?
8. What hypocrisy does Scout point out to her teacher regarding Tom Robinson in Chapter 26?
9. How would you describe Atticus Finch's outlook following the trial of Tom Robinson in Chapter 23?
10. What does Atticus Finch attempt to convey to the jury during his closing statements in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of racial prejudice in To Kill a Mockingbird. What has Tom Robinson been charged with? How would you describe the perceptions of the townspeople of Tom Robinson’s guilt?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Dill Harris’s journey from Meridian, Mississippi, to Maycomb, Alabama, in Chapter 14. How many miles has Dill traveled? How does Dill travel? How do the adults in the novel respond to Dill's actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dill Harris in To Kill a Mockingbird. How has Dill come to befriend Scout and Jem? Where does Dill live? How does Dill differ as a character from Scout and Jem?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)