|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it in the beginning of Chapter 24?
2. For whom does Tom Robinson say he worked at the time of the crime in Chapter 19?
3. What is the verdict in the Tom Robinson trial in Chapter 21?
4. What quotation does Scout cite in Chapter 26 when her teacher asks for the definition of Democracy?
5. What will happen to Tom Robinson if he loses his appeal, according to Atticus in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the courthouse described in Chapter 16? Where do the white and black attendees of the trial sit? Where do Scout, Jem, and Dill sit in the courtroom?
2. How does Helen Robinson respond to the news of Tom Robinson's death in Chapter 25? How do the townspeople respond?
3. What is symbolic about the conversation between Scout and Jem regarding the roly-poly bug in Chapter 25?
4. How does Jem respond to the verdict in the Robinson trial in Chapter 22? How have his perceptions changed of the people of Maycomb as a result of the trial?
5. Who is called to see to Jem in Chapter 28? How has Jem been injured? Who hurt Jem?
6. What does Atticus Finch attempt to convey to the jury during his closing statements in Chapter 20?
7. What does Tom Robinson assert took place on the night in question when he takes the stand in Chapter 19?
8. What hypocrisy does Scout point out to her teacher regarding Tom Robinson in Chapter 26?
9. What incidents in town have occurred involving Bob Ewell in Chapter 27. What do these events signify?
10. How would you describe Tom Robinson's guilt in the crime he is charged with in the trial? Do you think Tom is guilty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of classism in To Kill a Mockingbird. How much do the citizens of Maycomb County differ in terms of their personal finances? How much is wealth considered to be important within this community?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the novel’s narrative style. Is the narrative related from a first, second, or third point of view? Is the narrator’s perspective limited or omniscient? Why do you think the author chose to write the story from this narrative point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dill Harris in To Kill a Mockingbird. How has Dill come to befriend Scout and Jem? Where does Dill live? How does Dill differ as a character from Scout and Jem?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)