|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dill tells Atticus that he won Jem's pants playing what game in Chapter 6?
2. Scout says in Chapter 6 that "Matches were dangerous, but" what "were fatal"?
3. When Jem and Scout were given air-rifles, Atticus told Jem that it was a sin to kill a mockingbird, but that he could shoot all of what kind of bird that he wanted?
4. Who is the little boy that Scout's teacher sees a "cootie" crawling on in Chapter 3?
5. What profession does Dill say his new father has in his letter in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the dynamic of friendship changed between Scout, Dill, and Jem in Chapter 5?
2. What information does Scout learn about Boo Radley in Chapter 5? Who relates this information to Scout?
3. How do Scout's actions affect Mr. Cunningham and the others within the lynch mob in Chapter 15?
4. What causes Scout to fight with Walter Cunningham in Chapter 3? How does Jem respond to the situation?
5. What grade are Scout and Jem starting in school in Chapter 7? What does Jem reveal to Scout about the night he got his pants from the Radley Place in the beginning of the chapter?
6. What is one of the most important aspects of society that Aunt Alexandra wants to instill in Scout and Jem?
7. What does Scout discover in the knothole of the oak tree at the Radley Place when she walks home from school alone in the beginning of Chapter 4?
8. How is the weather described in the beginning of Chapter 8? Who has died during this winter?
9. What occurrence causes Miss Fisher to become hysterical in the classroom in Chapter 3? How do the children respond?
10. What is signified by Aunt Alexandra's outburst over Scout and Jem attending a black church in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Nathan Radley in the novel. Why does Nathan Radley fill the knothole of the oak tree with cement? What does this action symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. Dubose in the novel. What lessons does Jem learn from his encounters with Mrs. Dubose? How does Mrs. Dubose’s death affect Jem and Scout?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Scout Finch as you envision her from the narrative. How old is Scout when her character is first introduced? What behavior does Scout exhibit? How does Scout change in the course of the story?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)