|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first name of the elder Mr. Radley?
2. What does Walter Cunningham pour all over his food that causes Scout to exclaim in Chapter 3?
3. The medal that Scout and Jem find in the knothole of the oak tree in Chapter 7 is one that was awarded for what achievement?
4. What does Jem tell Scout to not get tangled up with in the garden as the children steal into the Radley yard in Chapter 6?
5. What does Miss Maudie detest growing in her yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What grade are Scout and Jem starting in school in Chapter 7? What does Jem reveal to Scout about the night he got his pants from the Radley Place in the beginning of the chapter?
2. How does Scout introduce the main characters in her story in Chapter 1? Who comprises Scout's family?
3. What information does Scout learn about Boo Radley in Chapter 5? Who relates this information to Scout?
4. What does Atticus do when he learns about Jem's behavior toward Mrs. Dubose in Chapter 11?
5. What causes Scout to fight with Walter Cunningham in Chapter 3? How does Jem respond to the situation?
6. Where are Scout and Jem going when they encounter Mrs. Dubose in Chapter 11? How does Scout describe this character?
7. What is significant about the incident with Tim Johnson in Chapter 10? What does this occurrence indicate?
8. What causes Scout to get into a fight at school in Chapter 9? How does Atticus respond to this news?
9. How does the mood of the novel change after the fire that destroys Miss Maudie's house in Chapter 9?
10. What concerns arise when Tom Robinson is brought to the Maycomb County jail in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of racism, poverty, and domestic violence in To Kill a Mockingbird. Which characters in the story represent these themes symbolically? How do poverty and violence influence the actions of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Nathan Radley in the novel. Why does Nathan Radley fill the knothole of the oak tree with cement? What does this action symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dill Harris in To Kill a Mockingbird. How has Dill come to befriend Scout and Jem? Where does Dill live? How does Dill differ as a character from Scout and Jem?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)