|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picks up Dill at the train station in Maycomb's one taxi in Chapter 4?
2. Atticus tells Scout not to use the "n" word because it is what, in Chapter 9?
3. What does Jem get his pants caught on as the children run from the Radley yard in Chapter 6?
4. What kind of sport are the Methodists and the Baptists playing as a benefit in Chapter 10?
5. How much money does Dill say he took from his mother's purse in order to come to Maycomb in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is signified by Aunt Alexandra's outburst over Scout and Jem attending a black church in Chapter 14?
2. What do Scout and Jem discover when they go to leave a thank-you note in the knothole of the oak tree at the Radley Place in Chapter 7?
3. What concerns arise when Tom Robinson is brought to the Maycomb County jail in Chapter 15?
4. Why does Calpurnia decide to take Scout and Jem to her church with her in Chapter 12?
5. Why does Aunt Alexandra say she's coming to live with Scout, Jem, and Atticus for awhile in Chapter 13?
6. What occurrence causes Miss Fisher to become hysterical in the classroom in Chapter 3? How do the children respond?
7. What grade are Scout and Jem starting in school in Chapter 7? What does Jem reveal to Scout about the night he got his pants from the Radley Place in the beginning of the chapter?
8. What does Atticus do when he learns about Jem's behavior toward Mrs. Dubose in Chapter 11?
9. What does Scout discover in the knothole of the oak tree at the Radley Place when she walks home from school alone in the beginning of Chapter 4?
10. How would you describe Miss Maudie's influence on Scout? Do you think she's a positive influence? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of the fictional town of Maycomb, Alabama. How many people live in Maycomb? How is the town’s economic situation described? Where do Scout and Jem live in relation to the town?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the courtroom and the attendees for the trial in Chapter 16. Where do Scout, Jem, and Dill find a place to observe the proceedings? How and why is the courtroom segregated as it is?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss characters that form the mob that comes to the jail in Chapter 15. Who are these individuals from the town? What is their objective in coming to the jailhouse? Why does Scout step forward to talk to Mr. Cunningham? What happens when she does?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)