|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Scout says in Chapter 6 that "Matches were dangerous, but" what "were fatal"?
2. What "dim organization on the north side of the square" does Mrs. Dubose tell Scout she'll grow up to work at in Chapter 11?
3. Who is the little boy that Scout's teacher sees a "cootie" crawling on in Chapter 3?
4. Scout claims in Chapter 8 that "Mr. Avery said it was written on the Rosetta Stone that when children disobeyed their parents, smoked cigarettes and made war on each other," what would happen?
5. Who does Atticus say was kind enough to grant a postponement on the trial in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the incident with Tim Johnson in Chapter 10? What does this occurrence indicate?
2. How does Scout describe the town of Maycomb in Chapter 1? What types of activities does Scout describe in the town?
3. What concerns arise when Tom Robinson is brought to the Maycomb County jail in Chapter 15?
4. How do Scout's actions affect Mr. Cunningham and the others within the lynch mob in Chapter 15?
5. What does Scout discover in the knothole of the oak tree at the Radley Place when she walks home from school alone in the beginning of Chapter 4?
6. Why does Aunt Alexandra say she's coming to live with Scout, Jem, and Atticus for awhile in Chapter 13?
7. How do the discoveries in the knothole of the oak tree at the Radley Place change the reader's perceptions of Boo Radley in Chapter 4?
8. How is the weather described in the beginning of Chapter 8? Who has died during this winter?
9. How does the mood of the novel change after the fire that destroys Miss Maudie's house in Chapter 9?
10. How is money exchanged in Maycomb? What other methods of exchange do the citizens participate in? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of racism, poverty, and domestic violence in To Kill a Mockingbird. Which characters in the story represent these themes symbolically? How do poverty and violence influence the actions of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the courtroom and the attendees for the trial in Chapter 16. Where do Scout, Jem, and Dill find a place to observe the proceedings? How and why is the courtroom segregated as it is?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dill Harris in To Kill a Mockingbird. How has Dill come to befriend Scout and Jem? Where does Dill live? How does Dill differ as a character from Scout and Jem?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)