|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What items are contained in the jewelry box that Scout and Jem find in the knothole in Chapter 4?
2. How many miles away from home has Dill traveled to come to Maycomb in Chapter 14?
3. At what time does Jem sneak out of the house to go get his pants in Chapter 6?
4. What grade in school is Scout starting in Chapter 2?
5. Jem tells Scout in Chapter 7 that it wasn't until he reached what grade that he learned anything of value in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aunt Alexandra say she's coming to live with Scout, Jem, and Atticus for awhile in Chapter 13?
2. What information does Scout learn about Boo Radley in Chapter 5? Who relates this information to Scout?
3. How is money exchanged in Maycomb? What other methods of exchange do the citizens participate in? Why?
4. What does Atticus do when he learns about Jem's behavior toward Mrs. Dubose in Chapter 11?
5. How has the dynamic of friendship changed between Scout, Dill, and Jem in Chapter 5?
6. How does Scout describe the town of Maycomb in Chapter 1? What types of activities does Scout describe in the town?
7. Where does Jem go in the middle of the night in Chapter 6? Why?
8. Why does Calpurnia decide to take Scout and Jem to her church with her in Chapter 12?
9. What causes Scout to fight with Walter Cunningham in Chapter 3? How does Jem respond to the situation?
10. What is one of the most important aspects of society that Aunt Alexandra wants to instill in Scout and Jem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Mayella Ewell in To Kill a Mockingbird. How old is Mayella? What kind of home life does Mayella live in? How reliable of a witness would you say Mayella is?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the courtroom and the attendees for the trial in Chapter 16. Where do Scout, Jem, and Dill find a place to observe the proceedings? How and why is the courtroom segregated as it is?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. Dubose in the novel. What lessons does Jem learn from his encounters with Mrs. Dubose? How does Mrs. Dubose’s death affect Jem and Scout?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)