|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sheriff Tate say he believes saved Scout's life in Chapter 29?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her wits.
(c) Her shoes.
(d) Her costume.
2. Jem and Dill had been heading home from where when they'd encountered Atticus going to the Robinson home, according to Scout in Chapter 25?
(c) Barker's Eddy.
3. What dessert does Miss Maudie offer to Jem and the other children in Chapter 22?
(c) Ice cream.
4. What is the name of the court reporter who chain smokes in Chapter 21?
5. What grade in school has Scout begun in the beginning of Chapter 26?
(a) Third grade.
(b) Fourth grade.
(c) Fifth grade.
(d) Sixth grade.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who points out the children sitting in the balcony of the courtroom to Atticus in Chapter 21?
2. According to Tom Robinson's testimony, he spent thirty days in jail once before when he was convicted of what crime?
3. When Atticus opens the envelope that Calpurnia brings him at the courtroom in Chapter 21, he tells the judge that the letter is from whom?
4. Of Misses Tutti and Frutti Barber, Scout says in Chapter 27 that they "were rumored to be Republicans, having migrated from Clanton, Alabama" in what year?
5. How many witnesses does Atticus say he has for the court in the end of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Atticus tell Jem in order to help him understand the trial and the verdict in Chapter 23?
2. How is Mayella Ewell described when she takes the stand in Chapter 18? What does she assert took place on the night in question?
3. How does Helen Robinson respond to the news of Tom Robinson's death in Chapter 25? How do the townspeople respond?
4. Who has saved Scout and Jem from their attacker in the end of the novel? What does Scout make of this character?
5. How would you describe the mood and tone of Chapter 26. How has the mood of the novel changed after the trial?
6. What is ironic about Bob Ewell's testimony in Tom Robinson's trial in Chapter 16?
7. What does Atticus Finch attempt to convey to the jury during his closing statements in Chapter 20?
8. What social activity does Aunt Alexandra arrange in Chapter 24? What are Scout's perceptions of this event?
9. Who relates the news of Tom Robinson's death in Chapter 24? How was Tom Robinson killed?
10. How does Scout describe the jury when they return with their verdict in Chapter 21? What is the verdict?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)