|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dude not do for the car that caused the problem?
2. What county does Jeeter want to go to?
3. What does Sister Bessie do when Jeeter orders her to leave?
4. Why do Sister Bessie and Dude begin to argue in front of Ada?
5. Whose house is engulfed in flames?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeeter do when Sister Bessie and Dude attempt to consummate their marriage?
2. How is Dude's immaturity exhibited regarding the wedding?
3. How do Jeeter's feelings of jealousy for Dude result in his making Ellie May cry?
4. What car trouble does the trio encounter on the way to Augusta?
5. What is the prognosis for the car after it is repaired?
6. How is Dude exhibiting some of Jeeter's lack of morals and integrity?
7. Given what has been revealed about the Lester family so far, what kind of future does it seem they will have?
8. What is the nature of the fight that results in a tragic accident involving Grandma Lester?
9. How does Sister Bessie behave promiscuously in the hotel?
10. How does the trio get some money for a little food and a room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book TOBACCO ROAD? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Pearl and Ellie May. Why was Lov conflicted with choosing the best one for his wife? What qualities does Lov see in each that he desires? What qualities are undesirable for him?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)