|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sister Bessie and Jeeter use for light to search for Dude?
2. Why does Jeeter not get to go to the county in #137?
3. Where do Sister Bessie and Dude go after the wedding?
4. When does Jessie plan to atone for his sexual sins?
5. What happened when Dude hit the item in #107?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Sister Bessie and Dude do after they get their marriage license?
2. Does the author provide any hope for the Lester family at the end of the book?
3. How do Ada and Jeeter react to Grandma Lester being hit by the car?
4. What does Jeeter do when Sister Bessie and Dude attempt to consummate their marriage?
5. What is the almost comical situation at bedtime on the night of Sister Bessie and Dude's wedding?
6. What is the irony of Jeeter's work resulting in his death?
7. What is the nature of the fight that results in a tragic accident involving Grandma Lester?
8. What is the result of Sister Bessie and Dude's trip to see Tom?
9. How do Jeeter's feelings of jealousy for Dude result in his making Ellie May cry?
10. How does Sister Bessie behave promiscuously in the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Lov Bensey. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Poverty takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of neglect. Identify at least two examples about neglect in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of neglect.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)