|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeeter tell Sister Bessie that he wants to do to please God?
2. Who beats up on Sister Bessie?
3. What is Jeeter's solution to Lov's problem with Pearl?
4. Who/What do Sister Bessie and Dude run over as they drive away?
5. Who does Sister Bessie take with her when she leaves the Lester house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Sister Bessie and Dude's trip to see Tom?
2. How does the author show that Jeeter's priorities are really skewed?
3. In spite of his good intentions, how does Jeeter's lack of diligence create a tragic mistake regarding the fire?
4. What does Jeeter do when Sister Bessie and Dude attempt to consummate their marriage?
5. Where are Sister Bessie and Dude actually married and who attends the event?
6. How do Jeeter's feelings of jealousy for Dude result in his making Ellie May cry?
7. Who dies in the house fire at the Lester farm?
8. How has the car become a symbol for the Lester family's lack of regard for people and possessions?
9. How is Dude's immaturity exhibited regarding the wedding?
10. What is the almost comical situation at bedtime on the night of Sister Bessie and Dude's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sister Bessie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of neglect. Identify at least two examples about neglect in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of neglect.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)