|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Lov refused to marry Ellie May?
2. How old is the girl in #23?
3. What is Jeeter's last name?
4. Why does Jeeter think Pearl is a lot like Ada?
5. Jeeter can be described as ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the name of the book, TOBACCO ROAD, come from?
2. Why has Jeeter never ventured out to find work after the farm failed?
3. How does Jeeter justify Ellie May's illicit behavior?
4. Why does Sister Bessie want to marry a boy like Duke?
5. Why is Lov's visit with the turnips almost torturous for Jeeter?
6. Why has Jeeter never had the proper treatment for Ellie May's physical defect?
7. Who is Ellie May and why did Lov not choose her for his wife?
8. Why is Jeeter and Ada's lack of concern about Dude marrying Sister Bessie so strange?
9. Why is Jeeter working on his car today?
10. Who is Pearl and what are Lov's problems with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poverty takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite three examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
TOBACCO ROAD is sometimes defined as being written in the Southern Gothic style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Pearl and Ellie May. Why was Lov conflicted with choosing the best one for his wife? What qualities does Lov see in each that he desires? What qualities are undesirable for him?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)