|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would Sister Bessie like to marry?
2. To what does Jeeter admit?
3. What disfigurement does the girl in #23 have?
4. Where does the person in #67 live?
5. Sister Bessie says that God made Ellie May deformed _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. At whose home does Lov stop on the way home from town and what is he carrying with him?
2. What does Sister Bessie also seem to have an obsession with?
3. What is the deciding factor in Dude agreeing to marry Sister Bessie?
4. What is Jeeter's biggest fear about dying and what happened to create this fear in him?
5. What is Lov's problem about choosing between Pearl and Ellie May?
6. Why has Jeeter never had the proper treatment for Ellie May's physical defect?
7. How does Jeeter justify Ellie May's illicit behavior?
8. Who does Ada think Pearl is most like?
9. Why is Jeeter and Ada's lack of concern about Dude marrying Sister Bessie so strange?
10. Why does Sister Bessie want to marry a boy like Duke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Jeeter Lester. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Caldwell uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony. What is the major irony in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Caldwell is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)