|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Lao Tang shocked as he studied Lin Biao's life?
2. What problem added to the difficulties of the second year at the cadre school?
3. Why was Tang Dan disillusioned with her work in Dedu county?
4. What materials did Yue Daiyun have to construct housing in Liyuzhou?
5. Why did Lao Tang's photograph with Liang Xiao members become a problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which children were admitted into New Beida?
2. What tragedy took place in Hanzhong on a branch campus for the study of applied physics?
3. What astonished Lao Tang more than evidence of Lin Biao's reactionary viewpoint?
4. Why did Yue Daiyun find it difficult to teach a course about the struggle between bourgeois and proletarian literary theory?
5. Why was Yue Daiyun apprehensive when Tang Dan decided to go into the army?
6. Why was the building of permanent housing the most pressing task when Yue Daiyun's group arrived at Liyuzhou?
7. What were the most emphatic new directives from Chairman Mao as the conflicts escalated?
8. How did nine-year-old Tang Shuan help the Jinggang Mountain group?
9. Why had Lao Tang not left Liang Xiao?
10. Why were the department leaders angry with Yue Daiyun when they offered her the opportunity to assist with educational reforms on campus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What differences do you see between the administration of sanctions in China and in other countries? Who determines who is at fault? Who determines the punishment? What effect do those differences have on Yue Daiyun and her family?
Essay Topic 2
Many times Yue Daiyun decides that her own conscience must be ignored in favor of the Party line of thinking. In your essay, give examples of this decision and its results in her life. What happens when the individual completely subverts his will for what he believes to be the collective good?
Essay Topic 3
Much of Yue Daiyun's philosophy depended on Chairman Mao and her adulation of him and firm belief in his teachings. In your essay, explore her relationship with this leader of her country and how her opinion of him changed and developed as she went through her life experiences.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)