|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often was Lao Tang allowed to go home while under suspicion?
2. Why did Yue Daiyun and Lao Tang look forward to peasant life continuing?
3. How did Yue Daiyun feel about menial labor in Liyuzhou?
4. Why was Yue Daiyun encouraged about the teachers at the cadre school in Liyuzhou?
5. Where did the "January seizure of Power" in 1967 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Yue Daiyun find it difficult to teach a course about the struggle between bourgeois and proletarian literary theory?
2. Why were members of the intellectual community resentful of Liang Xiao?
3. Why was Lao Tang uneasy about national recognition of his work with Liang Xiao?
4. Why was Yue Daiyun stunned and unhappy at the new student orientation at the cadre school?
5. What tragedy took place in Hanzhong on a branch campus for the study of applied physics?
6. What did the student Red Guards at Beida dispute about Nie Yuanzi's policies?
7. Why were Chairman Mao's instructions to unite and return to classes ineffective?
8. How was Tang Dan allowed as a child to help the Jinggang Mountain group?
9. Why had Lao Tang not left Liang Xiao?
10. What was Liang Xiao? What was its purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Yue Daiyun's time as a professor of literature during the Cultural Revolution, it was criminal to glorify "middle characters" in fiction. Middle characters are ordinary people with flaws as well as good characteristics. Analyze and evaluate the purpose for this decision and its effect on readers, according to Yue Daiyun.
Essay Topic 2
Yue Daiyun had mixed feelings regarding her time spent working with the peasants in the countryside, believing that there were advantages and disadvantages for her and for the students who were required to undertake difficult, dangerous, or menial work. Discuss the benefits and costs of taking her away from her university tasks to make bricks or grind cornmeal.
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that Yue Daiyun's basic political philosophy changed greatly during the years she has described in her story? Give reasons, quotations, and examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)