|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Yue Daiyun learn to carry water?
2. What is the first "To the Storm"?
3. Why did Yue Daiyun's sister-in-law insist that the family separate during meals?
4. What necessary tool did the Beida students accuse the work team of failing to employ?
5. What is an "ayi?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "theory of revolutionary inheritance"?
2. What did Yue Daiyun see in Old Uncle that she had never seen among the intellectuals?
3. Why did Yue Daiyun decide not to object to being considered a rightist?
4. What does it mean to "draw a line" between yourself and another person?
5. What was the job of the sent-down cadres in the countryside?
6. What is the difference between one who is an "alien class element" and one who is a "counter-revolutionary"?
7. Why did Yue Daiyun admire Tang Yongtong?
8. Why did Yue Daiyun object to Lao Tang's brother's wife?
9. How was Yue Daiyun used during the Four Clean-Ups campaign in 1965?
10. Why weren't the peasants reassured by the harsh treatment of their former landlords?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yue Daiyun had mixed feelings regarding her time spent working with the peasants in the countryside, believing that there were advantages and disadvantages for her and for the students who were required to undertake difficult, dangerous, or menial work. Discuss the benefits and costs of taking her away from her university tasks to make bricks or grind cornmeal.
Essay Topic 2
Yue Daiyun had first hand experience with the benefits of individual ownership and responsibility on productivity as she watched famines that were intensified by collective errors and peasants who had no incentives to increase their work output. Analyze the effect of individual ownership and accountability on workers and society as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Many philosophies are brought under condemnation during Yue Daiyun's experiences. These include rightism, ultra-rightism, ultra-leftism, capitalism, objectivism, subjectivism, and others. Select two of these philosophies to compare and contrast.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)