|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people in Beida had been declared rightists in 1958?
2. Why were the peasants reluctant to accept the land that they were given during land reform?
3. Why was the poet Lin Zhao executed?
4. What term was given to those whose parents were landlords?
5. Why was Yue Daiyun's long-awaited home visit depressing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "theory of revolutionary inheritance"?
2. Where had the idea of parading enemies come from?
3. What was unusual for Yue Daiyun about the National Day Celebration in 1963?
4. Why did Yue Daiyun decide not to object to being considered a rightist?
5. How were the landlords treated by the local Communist Party committee?
6. In 1976, what did the students do to Yue Daiyun's home?
7. Why was Yue Daiyun to be criticized while on maternity leave?
8. How did the peasants react to the decision to distribute work points evenly, with eight each day for women and ten per day for men?
9. Why is the one-month birthday an important event in China?
10. Why was Yue Daiyun unworried about the criticism she was to face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What differences do you see between the administration of sanctions in China and in other countries? Who determines who is at fault? Who determines the punishment? What effect do those differences have on Yue Daiyun and her family?
Essay Topic 2
Yue Daiyun had first hand experience with the benefits of individual ownership and responsibility on productivity as she watched famines that were intensified by collective errors and peasants who had no incentives to increase their work output. Analyze the effect of individual ownership and accountability on workers and society as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the campaigns described in this book are designated with numbers. These include The Four Clean-Ups, the Three Separations, etc. In your essay, give several examples of these movements and your opinion about why they are numbered in this way.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)