|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lao Tang conclude after being criticized himself?
2. How were ordinary people to be portrayed in literature considered appropriate during the Four Clean-Ups?
3. How did night meetings at the commune in Zhaitang attempt to educate the peasants?
4. Why was Yue Daiyun relieved of her teaching duties in 1965?
5. Who were alleged to be Black Gang members?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the one-month birthday an important event in China?
2. How did the newspaper articles during the Four Clean-Ups confuse Yue Daiyun?
3. Why was Yue Daiyun unworried about the criticism she was to face?
4. How were the landlords treated by the local Communist Party committee?
5. Why did Yue Dainyun feel worse on returning from the countryside in 1966 than she had when returning in 1960?
6. What did Yue Daiyun see in Old Uncle that she had never seen among the intellectuals?
7. Why did Yue Daiyun support Party policy above her own conscience?
8. What does it mean to "draw a line" between yourself and another person?
9. What was the job of the sent-down cadres in the countryside?
10. How did the peasants react to the decision to distribute work points evenly, with eight each day for women and ten per day for men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that Yue Daiyun's basic political philosophy changed greatly during the years she has described in her story? Give reasons, quotations, and examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
What differences do you see between the administration of sanctions in China and in other countries? Who determines who is at fault? Who determines the punishment? What effect do those differences have on Yue Daiyun and her family?
Essay Topic 3
Yue Daiyun had first hand experience with the benefits of individual ownership and responsibility on productivity as she watched famines that were intensified by collective errors and peasants who had no incentives to increase their work output. Analyze the effect of individual ownership and accountability on workers and society as a whole.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)