|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Chairman Mao refer to Nie Yuanzi?
2. What is a kang?
3. How many people was Yue Daiyun required to identify as rightists?
4. What term was given to those whose parents were landlords?
5. What does the name "Xiao" mean in Mandarin Chinese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why weren't the peasants reassured by the harsh treatment of their former landlords?
2. How did the peasants react to the decision to distribute work points evenly, with eight each day for women and ten per day for men?
3. What is the difference between one who is an "alien class element" and one who is a "counter-revolutionary"?
4. Why did Yue Daiyun support Party policy above her own conscience?
5. Why was Yue Daiyun to be criticized while on maternity leave?
6. In 1976, what did the students do to Yue Daiyun's home?
7. What attracted Yue Daiyun to Lao Tang?
8. Where had the idea of parading enemies come from?
9. Why was Yue Daiyun unworried about the criticism she was to face?
10. Why is the one-month birthday an important event in China?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times Yue Daiyun decides that her own conscience must be ignored in favor of the Party line of thinking. In your essay, give examples of this decision and its results in her life. What happens when the individual completely subverts his will for what he believes to be the collective good?
Essay Topic 2
Write a brief explanatory history of the Gang of Four and the Cultural Revolution as seen through Yue Daiyun's eyes.
Essay Topic 3
At some points, it was considered a criminal activity to feel pity or compassion for anyone who had been established as an enemy of the state. Analyze the purpose and results of this attitude toward kindness for wrongdoers.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)