|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disillusioned Yue Daiyun on her trip to the Soviet Union?
2. What is the first "To the Storm"?
3. How were ordinary people to be portrayed in literature considered appropriate during the Four Clean-Ups?
4. Why was Yue Daiyun's sister-in-law's father imprisoned?
5. What was Yue Daiyun's first assigned task at the commune in Zhaitang?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the newspaper articles during the Four Clean-Ups confuse Yue Daiyun?
2. How were the landlords treated by the local Communist Party committee?
3. In 1976, what did the students do to Yue Daiyun's home?
4. Why was Yue Daiyun to be criticized while on maternity leave?
5. What were "middle characters"? Why were they considered unacceptable?
6. Why had Yue Daiyun's earlier visit to the Soviet Union been disillusioning?
7. Why is the one-month birthday an important event in China?
8. How was Yue Daiyun used during the Four Clean-Ups campaign in 1965?
9. What was the rationale for sending Chinese literature students to work in the mines?
10. What attracted Yue Daiyun to Lao Tang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a brief explanatory history of the Gang of Four and the Cultural Revolution as seen through Yue Daiyun's eyes.
Essay Topic 2
Public displays as a form of punishment became common during the Cultural Revolution. Caps, arm bands, clothing of specific colors, cardboard placards, and the "airplane position" were all used as public humiliation. Discuss the purpose and effect of these punishments as compared with fines or imprisonment as punishment.
Essay Topic 3
Several times in this memoir, people were urged to make a confession to things of which they did not believe themselves guilty. In your essay, evaluate the effect of this practice. Why did people make false confessions? What was the benefit? The cost?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)